What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Brian Hoyer, LV (1 Viewer)

The best thing about Hoyer's perfomrance so far this year is that it has stopped all the incesant Manziel coverage. That's been awesome.

Report: Talks with Browns QB Brian Hoyer could heat up

Contract negotiations between the Browns and surprising quarterback Brian Hoyer have been idle since early summer, but they could be renewed if he continues to perform well through October, a source has told ESPN.

Hoyer boasts a 97.6 passer rating, which ranks ninth among NFL quarterbacks with more than two starts. The Browns are averaging 25.7 points a game - not bad considering featured back Ben Tate lost two games to injury, premier wideout Josh Gordon is suspended and Pro Bowl tight end Jordan Cameron has been unproductuve while nursing a shoulder ailment.

The source told ESPN that talks in June did not get "past first base" after agent Joe Linta countered an initial offer with one significantly higher. The Browns drafted highly touted Johnny Manziel with their second first-round pick. Hoyer can become a free agent after this season, but the Browns would likely step up their efforts to sign the hometown product if he continued to shine. He is 82 for 132 for 1,007 yards, six touchdowns and one interception in four games.

"I think it's a mystery to everybody because he hasn't played a lot of games," said offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan in regard to Hoyer's potential. "He's played four this year, and I think he's gotten better in each game."
- CBS

Is anyone really "surprised"?

Hoyer is now 6-2 as the Browns starter.

they need to sign him long term.
he looks great but at the same time you dont want to make the same mistake the Bills did when they thought Fitzpatrick was their answer at QB. Eventually the warts showed on him so I think expectations should be tempered to see if he can do it all year.

Hoyer is now 6-2 as the Browns starter.

they need to sign him long term.
he looks great but at the same time you dont want to make the same mistake the Bills did when they thought Fitzpatrick was their answer at QB. Eventually the warts showed on him so I think expectations should be tempered to see if he can do it all year.
fair point. i just like his game and think he'll continue to prove.

Rotoworld:

Brian Hoyer - QB - Browns

The Browns have shown zero interest so far in extending Brian Hoyer's contract.

The Browns wisely aren't rushing into things with Hoyer. He's been fabulously efficient and has the Browns off to a 3-2 start, but is a 29-year-old journeyman that is benefiting from a very soft schedule. If Hoyer puts together a full season as the real deal, then the Browns can talk. If not, they have Johnny Manziel on the bench.

Related: Johnny Manziel

Source: Ed Werder on Twitter

Oct 14 - 12:32 PM

Rotoworld:

The Browns have shown zero interest so far in extending Brian Hoyer's contract.

The Browns wisely aren't rushing into things with Hoyer. He's been fabulously efficient and has the Browns off to a 3-2 start, but is a 29-year-old journeyman that is benefiting from a very soft schedule. If Hoyer puts together a full season as the real deal, then the Browns can talk. If not, they have Johnny Manziel on the bench.

Related: Johnny Manziel

Source: Ed Werder on Twitter

Oct 14 - 12:32 PM
They need to figure out how to get Hoyer signed and ship out Manzier with no one finding out bout either act. Any team hears about a Hoyer extension instantly drops Manzier's value from a whatever round pick to a 6th round pick. Ship out Manzier before the contract and Hoyer demands double the offer.

"Currently leading the NFL with 13.6 yards per completion, Hoyer sports a 99.5 passer rating to go with his 6-2 mark as a Browns starter."

yup. total flash in the pan.

name another Browns QB since 99 with a winning record.

I love Hoyer and glad he is having some success this year....he and Brown fan's deserve this. I just hope the organization is not quick to give up on him if he has a bad showing or two.

Still flopping Between Brees and Hoyer today..I cannot believe this haha
I am in the same boat and been leaning towards Hoyer. I asked Bloom this very question this morning but no reply yet. Everyone else on this board (in the Assistant Coach Forum) thinks Brees is the play.

don't be sad amnesiac, it was a good run. yas won some games and ya had some fun, but all good things must come to an end. bring on manziel imo.

Rotoworld:

Brian Hoyer completed just 16-of-41 passes for 215 yards and an interception in the Browns' Week 7 loss to Jacksonville.

He was sacked three times and lost a fumble. Browns coach Mike Pettine admitted after the game that Cleveland's offense took a "huge step backwards" against the Jaguars, getting dominated in both the run and pass games. Hoyer was terribly inaccurate, most notably missing Jordan Cameron for a wide-open touchdown early in the game. It'll be interesting to see if Hoyer can afford another game like this before the Browns consider Johnny Manziel. It's a good thing for Hoyer that the Browns take on the Raiders next.

Oct 19 - 4:36 PM

Time for Johnny Football
It is interesting for Dynasty teams that Hoyer has played games like the Steelers..

(IMHO) The Browns played a nfl professional team who was hungry ( read keep job) for a Win

I won't argue that having Dan Marino come in and play the 2nd half would have made a difference any more than Johnny..

But I do hope you know there is such things as gun shy etc. IF Johnny isn't ready, it could get real Ugly for the Browms n fast too.

I considered posting recently how it's possible drafting Kohnny was good for pub, but I guess it is the Browns. They're both capable of poor choice and past due too.

Truly I mean aside from the trade deadline, it's worth seeing some Johhny Football.

If you don't agree I believe it would be hard to explain

I think the biggest reason you play Johnny now and or sooner is because your Billy badazz WR thinks Johnny is the better QB..

This is just my two cents fwiw, I mean I have Kaep on a bye (Carr) and could really use Hoyer.. But we're talking Football here and the best man should Play (whoever it is)

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't argue that having Dan Marino come in and play the 2nd half would have made a difference any more than Johnny..
That 2nd half was brutal. 2nd quarter up 6-0, 2nd & 2 at the Jax 24, and they turn the ball over on downs (incomplete pass). Momentum switch, next thing Jax scores and has the lead right before half. Then Hoyer fumble in own territory (10-6), two quick outs, still get out the 4th qtr down just 10-6 to a terrible team, lost fumble on punt in own territory (17-6), then quick interception in own territory (24-6), game over. Was that really all Hoyer's fault? The run game was awful, maybe losing Mack hurt everyone.

But I do hope you know there is such things as gun shy etc. IF Johnny isn't ready, it could get real Ugly for the Browms n fast too.
Seems to me Pettine was really smart to hold his hand in that one. They lost but they had a lot of momentum going into that game. They can regroup now.

I think the biggest reason you play Johnny now and or sooner is because your Billy badazz WR thinks Johnny is the better QB..
Who would this WR be? I'm guessing Gordon wants Hoyer in there.

I cant recall if it was NFL Network or not, but YES I do believe Gordon likes Johnny Football..

Honestly I might like Johnny more too because of the scramble time and throwing under duress, where as Hoyer may just play smart and throw it away

My point was that in most every game, that the QB position only means so much, especially if tasked w/ "game Manager". I completely agree with all your points especially the poor run-game which reflects on the OLine too. (imho) Most all QB's suffer w/o a sufficient running game.

I believe it would be almost ridiculous to believe a QB change, much less an in-experienced Rookie change would be a game-changer

Dome, Im just admitting that it appears the Browns (Coaching staff) has already had the idea of starting their Rookie 1st round QB.. Its even possible to view it as positive in relationship to the trade deadline. Its possible No Team has offered anything of value, while that could change w/ some action..

afaik, Cameron is the only player to speak out in favor of Hoyer. Its possible a change could ignite the Defensive players, just as much as the Offense.

The bottom line is we have all seen great Teams lose a game they should have WON. It just so happens the Browns have lost a few games, and now face the likes of Oakland and then Tampa Bay. (Coach's don't always get second chance's)

p.s. Im somewhat a firm believer in "Show me a Team w/ two QB's"

Rotoworld:

ESPN Cleveland believes Brian Hoyer needs to improve his accuracy to remain the Browns' starter.

Hoyer has benefitted from Kyle Shanahan's playcalling and a favorable first-half schedule (.375 opponent winning percentage), but there remain concerns about his ball placement and lack of arm strength. Unfortunately, the Browns schedule doesn't get any more difficult in the second half, with upcoming games against the Bucs, Bengals, and Falcons. A 29-year-old journeyman, Hoyer is in a contract year and not the long-term answer at quarterback. The Browns need to make an evaluation on Johnny Manziel at some point.

Source: ESPN Cleveland

Nov 1 - 7:49 PM

The Browns evaluated Manziel in the preseason and he was mediocre at best. There's no need to give him another evaluation as long as the Browns are in the playoff hunt.

The Browns evaluated Manziel in the preseason and he was mediocre at best. There's no need to give him another evaluation as long as the Browns are in the playoff hunt.
The evaluation of Hoyer in recent games (Jax) has to have team brass questioning whether or not he is the man...

Johnny Football time is coming soon and will happen this year!

Rotoworld:

ESPN Cleveland believes Brian Hoyer needs to improve his accuracy to remain the Browns' starter.

Hoyer has benefitted from Kyle Shanahan's playcalling and a favorable first-half schedule (.375 opponent winning percentage), but there remain concerns about his ball placement and lack of arm strength. Unfortunately, the Browns schedule doesn't get any more difficult in the second half, with upcoming games against the Bucs, Bengals, and Falcons. A 29-year-old journeyman, Hoyer is in a contract year and not the long-term answer at quarterback. The Browns need to make an evaluation on Johnny Manziel at some point.

Why is it "unfortunate that the Browns schedule doesn't get any more difficult". Is Johnny Manziel writing for ESPN in his downtime?

The evaluation of Hoyer in recent games (Jax) has to have team brass questioning whether or not he is the man...

Johnny Football time is coming soon and will happen this year!
if we lose three in a row and Hoyer doesn't improve, sure. Otherwise no earlier than December. As long as the browns keep winning then Manziel stays on the bench.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Cleveland believes Brian Hoyer needs to improve his accuracy to remain the Browns' starter.Hoyer has benefitted from Kyle Shanahan's playcalling and a favorable first-half schedule (.375 opponent winning percentage), but there remain concerns about his ball placement and lack of arm strength. Unfortunately, the Browns schedule doesn't get any more difficult in the second half, with upcoming games against the Bucs, Bengals, and Falcons. A 29-year-old journeyman, Hoyer is in a contract year and not the long-term answer at quarterback. The Browns need to make an evaluation on Johnny Manziel at some point.

correct, and that will hopefully be done in 2015.

again, stats can be deceiving. the dude is not leading the browns anywhere long term. when he starts playing some good teams he will be exposed and manziel will start the last few games of this season to get ready for next year.

Rotoworld:

Huh? SO they are actively cheering against this Cinderella story? Pretty lame. Hoyer was also playing well last year before the injury. give the guy a chance. When Gordon comes back things will really start flying in a good way.

BusterTBronco said:
Hoyer played well until the game was on the line. Then he did not.

Tough for the Browns to win with their best QB on the bench.
:fishing:
It seems that ol' Buster deleted that post.

I think this team could surprise. Hoyer can be more than capable and they have the makings of a nasty defense. Barring injury, I'd be surprised to see JFF start a game until they are mathematically eliminated.
This one is still up, though.

Hoyer is about to go all Brian Sipe on the new Mike Phipps, John Manziel.

Hoyer is going to stay and he is going to lead the Browns into the playoffs.

Rotoworld:

:lmao:

Rotoworld:

Huh? SO they are actively cheering against this Cinderella story? Pretty lame. Hoyer was also playing well last year before the injury. give the guy a chance. When Gordon comes back things will really start flying in a good way.
9-3 as the Browns starting QB the last two years.

9-3. Browns. In the same sentence.

Rotoworld:

I was looking at that incomplete deep ball to Benjamin last night and I was thinking, 'Gordon would have housed that one.'

The run game was just setting up the deep ball all night long.

I'm a little surprised Charles Johnson hasn't emerged a little, but maybe he's just not that good or ready.

Rotoworld:

I was looking at that incomplete deep ball to Benjamin last night and I was thinking, 'Gordon would have housed that one.'

The run game was just setting up the deep ball all night long.

I'm a little surprised Charles Johnson hasn't emerged a little, but maybe he's just not that good or ready.
He's a Viking.

Users who are viewing this thread