What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2015 College Football Thread *** (2 Viewers)

I want Scott Frost as HC. From Wood River Nebraska (tiny town). Took the scholarship offer to Stanford to play QB, transferred back to NU and went 24-2 as a starter. Played under Bill Walsh, Tom Osborne, Bill Parcells, Bill Belicheck, and Jon Gruden. Coached a top-10 defense at FCS level, then moved up from Wide Receivers coach to OC at Oregon the last two years. Everyone I've heard who had worked with him in the past has glowing reviews and is certain he'll be a head coach some day, noted that he's sharp, quick-witted, and very personable. I say give him the keys and hope we've got Osborne 2.0, I'm sick of 9 win mediocrity, I'm fine with down years if it means we have the right guy in the end.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11958376/nebraska-cornhuskers-fire-bo-pelini

Only Alabama and Oregon -- first and second this week in the College Football Playoff rankings -- can match the Huskers in winning nine games each year since 2008.
:confused: Seriously?
Yes, seriously. Bo notched 9 wins a year, but looked completely outclassed by teams with decent coaching and talent. I read he was 40-2 against sub .500 opponents and 25-26 against opponents above .500. That doesn't get it done at Nebraska.

RE: Alabama and Oregon, that's kind of my point. Despite being with Alabama and Oregon in total wins, we've never been ranked above 14 in the AP poll over the last 7 years because Pelini loses the games that actually matter. We've had easy schedules most years of Pelini's tenure, minus our first in the Big 10 when we got kind of shafted. If we had a better coach than Pelini, one better at adjusting the X's and O's on the field under pressure, we could have been Alabama or Oregon over these last 7 years. We've had NFL caliber talent, despite Pelini's treatment of recruiting as a burden. Yet he still couldn't stop Wisconsin from drubbing us with basic power run plays 3 out of 4 tries. He got outclassed two years in a row by a Minnesota team that isn't anywhere close to NU in talent. Pelini was a good leader, but not a good enough coaching mind to win a championship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Muschamp being fought over by TAMU and Auburn? Neither is a good place for a DC looking to restart his career.
Aggies would put the nail in his career coffin. Sumlin just refuses to recruit boys that can be men in the SEC. Too much speed and not enough toughness.

Buffalo has hired Wisconsin-Whitewater coach Lance Leipold, apparently. Link

Can't say I know anything about him, but I know UW-Whitewater is a D3 powerhouse, so at least he's got a winning pedigree?

Wisconsin-Whitewater coach Lance Leipold has agreed to become the new head coach at Buffalo according to a person with knowledge of the coaching search.

Leipold, 50, has won five NCAA Division III national championships in his eight seasons at Wisconsin-Whitewater, where he has a career record of 106-6. Division III does not award athletic scholarships. Leipold last month became the fastest coach in NCAA history across all divisions to reach 100 wins.

An announcement is expected Monday. Top-ranked Wisconsin-Whitewater (12-0) defeated Wabash 38-14 Saturday in the second round of the NCAA Division III playoffs.

Leipold is offensive-minded and known for his pro-style scheme. He’s respected in the coaching community and expected to bring at least one staff member with major FBS recruiting experience.

Jim Tressel sightings in Lincoln. Not sure how I feel about that one, if true. I think he's at least smart enough to know what he doesn't know, unlike Bo.

Re kiffin: I would rather be the school that hired him a year too early than the one that misses out entirely. He's a stellar recruiter and offensive playmaker. He just spent a year learning how one of the best college programs in the country is run from the best coach there is. If I'm Florida or any other power 5 school looking for a coach he is on my interview list.
i would rather be wrong about him on someone else's team.
A-bleeping-men

GOB said:
gump said:
Muschamp being fought over by TAMU and Auburn? Neither is a good place for a DC looking to restart his career.
Aggies would put the nail in his career coffin. Sumlin just refuses to recruit boys that can be men in the SEC. Too much speed and not enough toughness.
His recruiting base is hotly contested and A&M is hardly the biggest draw.

Jim Tressel sightings in Lincoln. Not sure how I feel about that one, if true. I think he's at least smart enough to know what he doesn't know, unlike Bo.
Tressel with Frost also coming as OC is what I get from my NU friend.
Why would Frost take the same position at a lesser school? Doesn't make sense IMO.
Seriously? Dude was born in Lincoln and played at Nebraska. I know you think football was invented in Eugene but I can guarantee you that very few people think Oregon is their dream job.

Why would Frost take the same position at a lesser school? Doesn't make sense IMO.
Return home, 'double' his salary, coach in waiting...is the story.
Seems like a Nebraska fan's wet dream. Doubt he is leaving Oregon just to be a OC at Nebraska.

Seems like a Nebraska fan's wet dream. Doubt he is leaving Oregon just to be a OC at Nebraska.
Oregon is one of the best funded programs around and is about to play in the playoff. He isn't leaving that for some sort of nostalgia. hC position? Yes. oC? Doubtful.

Oregon is one of the best funded programs around and is about to play in the playoff. He isn't leaving that for some sort of nostalgia. hC position? Yes. oC? Doubtful.
That's pretty much how I see it too.

Some at Nebraska not happy:

This'll go down as the worst decision Eichorst will make in his career. He don't care tho. Just biding his time til Wisconsin opens up.
— Matthew Finnin (@StepDaddyFinnin)
https://twitter.com/StepDaddyFinnin/status/539110993134387200November 30, 2014
https://twitter.com/StepDaddyFinnin/status/539110993134387200

At the end of the day Bo was the only one who gave a #### about us. You think Eichorst or Pearlman gave a ####? All they care about is $$$
https://twitter.com/StepDaddyFinnin/status/539111232230686720November 30, 2014
https://twitter.com/StepDaddyFinnin/status/539111232230686720

I can guarantee not one of us has ever even had a conversation with either of them.
https://twitter.com/StepDaddyFinnin/status/539111342205329408November 30, 2014
https://twitter.com/StepDaddyFinnin/status/539111342205329408
Armstrong-

Biggest mistake you ever made.... Bo was the best coach I've ever had and I'll always appreciate the things you taught me.
— Tommy Armstrong Jr. (@Tommy_Gun4)
https://twitter.com/Tommy_Gun4/status/539090009639641090November 30, 2014
https://twitter.com/Tommy_Gun4/status/539090009639641090
Suh-

The leadership issues at the University of Nebraska extend above the Head Football Coach's office.
— Ndamukong Suh (@NdamukongSuh)
https://twitter.com/NdamukongSuh/status/539140665238900737November 30, 2014
https://twitter.com/NdamukongSuh/status/539140665238900737

So legit curious about how the committee will weigh these conference title games. I know they are on the schedule so they need to be played, but is it fair that Bama, Oregon and FSU have to play and potentially lose an extra game that TCU/Baylor don't have?

Say Bama loses. Are they worse off at 11-2 than Baylor is at 11-1? Same with Oregon and FSU. I know this is the way the system is set up but I am curious to see how the committee weighs it. In the past we know the polls would just dump them.

So I guess he's not happy with Youngstown State?
He's the university president, not the football coach. The message board talk with Tressel and Frost would be Tressel as HC and Frost as OC "Head Coach in waiting". Whatever that means. It was a thought thrown out there on a message board a while ago, but right now it's just talk.

Tressel does have a show cause until 2016, but the university could plead the case to the NCAA to get it dropped. With all of the other NCAA "scandals", what Tressel did at tOSU seems pretty minor in comparison. I did hear however that he had issues at Youngstown before he took the tOSU job. :shrug:

If it can help them (conference championships mean something) then I'd imagine it can hurt them.
Could it help anybody other than Ohio State?
All we know is that conference championship was one of the few things they named specifically in their list of things they will look at. I suspect it will "help" anyone who's on the outside looking in when one of the teams "in" doesn't have a conference championship. So, for example last week, if things would have ended as they were with Miss St in the final four. I think it "helps" team 5-7 if they are looking to jump in.

All this is pure speculation of course. Only time will really tell.

Plane tracking to and from Lincoln should start any time now. :popcorn: My BIL (private plane pilot) has been flying his boss to South Carolina/Georgia a lot lately. I'm sure his plane will get tracked. :lmao:

I just saw the message board post mentioning Tressel staying at a Lincoln hotel. Someone got a text from a friend. :rolleyes:

So I guess he's not happy with Youngstown State?
He's the university president, not the football coach. The message board talk with Tressel and Frost would be Tressel as HC and Frost as OC "Head Coach in waiting". Whatever that means. It was a thought thrown out there on a message board a while ago, but right now it's just talk.

Tressel does have a show cause until 2016, but the university could plead the case to the NCAA to get it dropped. With all of the other NCAA "scandals", what Tressel did at tOSU seems pretty minor in comparison. I did hear however that he had issues at Youngstown before he took the tOSU job. :shrug:
I thought he was the president, but couldn't remember for sure.

I can't imagine he'd want to jump back into the B1G, but that's just me.

Plane tracking to and from Lincoln should start any time now. :popcorn: My BIL (private plane pilot) has been flying his boss to South Carolina/Georgia a lot lately. I'm sure his plane will get tracked. :lmao:

I just saw the message board post mentioning Tressel staying at a Lincoln hotel. Someone got a text from a friend. :rolleyes:
Next step is a real estate agent breaks the story that she showed Mrs Tressel a house.

It's not truly official until he starts looking at houses. :coffee:

Yeah, super sketchy at best. I also heard that Michael Rose-Ivey's mom saw him near the University and then Ron Kellogg posted something about Tressel and speculated he'd be the replacement. Said something about shaking his hand, but it wasn't clear that that was a recent thing.

Next step is a real estate agent breaks the story that she showed Mrs Tressel a house.
Salt water aquarium guy is always the clincher.

Could even Saban win at Nebraska?

It just seems like it's in a geographically isolated and historically isolated point that will be difficult to rise out of.

Their move to the Big10 with the demographic shift away from that area of the country was particularly poorly timed.

UAB football folding up shop.
Is that official? It's not like I'll be in mourning, but it's ridiculous how this went down. #### Alabama.
What happen here?
I'm not in deep on the details...but a lot of blame gets thrown UofA's way for not wanted to share.

But UAB deserves a lot of blame as well, specifically Gene Bartow, for taking the approach that UofA was the enemy.

UAB did not manage the politics well, that's for sure.

UAB football folding up shop.
Is that official? It's not like I'll be in mourning, but it's ridiculous how this went down. #### Alabama.
What happen here?
Gene Bartow, previous BB coach @ UAB, wrote a letter to the NCAA insinuating Bear Bryant cheated while coaching at Alabama in the early 90s, and used his coaching tree, Jackie Sherrill, Danny Ford, and a couple of others, as "proof". This pissed off Bear Bryant Jr, who happens to be on the BoT for the UA education system. The same BoT that manages Alabama & UAB.

Jr is retiring sometime in the near future. Supposedly it's been his goal for years to shut UAB football down as a slap in the face to Bartow. Bartow of course is long dead, and I doubt he cares. Also, UAB football is a money pit, and has been supported, at least in part with money coming in from UA football, supposedly.

This state is really weird with football.

Users who are viewing this thread