What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (2 Viewers)

Let's not forget also that Urlacher is a shell of his former self since his knee issues, and he simply cannot run with these elite TEs... The Bears had to make adjustments accounting for Davis and Kaep was able to hit some big shots outside... Not saying Kaep doesn't deserve a ton of credit, but Harbaugh and Greg Roman shouldn't be discounted here :shrug:
I think we found the problem.

Alex Smith is never going to be Peyton Manning, but I'm fairly certain the Niners would have had a better record this year with him under center. And it's quite possible they might even have won a ring the past couple seasons having Smith over Kaepernick. Colin looks amazing at times...but some of those times are amazingly awful.
this year definitely. Kap has regressed since last year.

I blame Harbaugh. Too much arrogance for a guy who hasn't ever won anything. People are winning games with Mark Sanchez and Brian Hoyer at the helm. He's got his hand picked golden boy and his team is sliding. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Harbaugh is over rated. He inherited a stacked team, took them up a level past where Singletary (miscast as a HC) and then he couldn't bring them to the promised land. And his team has slowly been sliding backwards as HIS guys have inherited starting gigs. Think about it, who has he drafted that is better than the guy he inherited? Not CK, not Hyde, not any of the wideouts. And he's supposedly this offensive guru.

Another one late to the party. Look up a few posts and you can start counting.
:lmao: Who exactly was late to the party?
You're quoting posts from January...2013...and asking who's second guessing the move to Kaep...you obviously didn't read the recent posts in this thread. Instead, you went back almost 2 years to find a post to quote so you could try to make yourself look cool.I'd say that makes you late to the party. Most 9er fans are over Kaep. So instead of hitting the archives, you could have just read tonight's posts and you would have had your answer.
Apparently you don't know how these threads work

Where's the alex smith backer(s) lmfao
Not sure how many there were...but there was that one guy all week going off on the decision.
Again, it was butcher boy and his junk stats, thehornet and his milk and cookies, tjnc09 and his ZOMG ALEX VS. BILLS, then hoya. I got 'em all lined up in a row like guppies :shark:
:shrug: You guys can keep this thread to yourselves. The fascination with him is really creepy.Congrats, he had a very nice game aside from his INT against a team that gave up almost 500 yards to Minnesota two weeks ago on the road. It was like CK shredded the '85 Bears out there.
Is admitting you are wrong really that difficult?"I.... was..... wrong" Say it with me.
He played great. They still are no further than they were last year. If he leads the team to a SB this year, I will admit I'm wrong.
Dude. You were wrong, I was wrong. I said about a month ago I'd gladly eat crow if I was wrong about Kaep's play in the playoffs. Crow never tasted so good. I'm as excited as ever for this team. Would Smith have won that game? I think the answer at this point is "who cares?"
CK is still a young QB going on the road next week. He was undefeated at home this year, but was only 2-2 on the road. He looked lost at Seattle. He made some key mistakes at STL that cost them the game. I will admit I was wrong if they win next week. They haven't won anything in my opinion yet. How were these threads last year after the Saints victory? Then what did they look like after the Giants loss?
Wow youre embarrassing yourself
Being wrong has no shame.
Being wrong has no shame. shady, you want to add anything without embarrassing yourself further?
wait, he did lead his tea to a super bowl that year so you were admitting you were wrong but now you are saying you were right. Talk about flipflopping so many times i dont even know what side you were on. The guy sucks. I doubt anyones defending him now.
lol. I said I would admit that I'm wrong if he won the Super Bowl. But he didn't. He failed to convert four tries inside the 10 yard line. The next year he capped off his clutch ability throwing a pathetic pass to the Seahawks defense. You and drummer were too busy stroking his six pack to see that he makes incredibly poor decisions throwing the ball.

Alex Smith is never going to be Peyton Manning, but I'm fairly certain the Niners would have had a better record this year with him under center. And it's quite possible they might even have won a ring the past couple seasons having Smith over Kaepernick. Colin looks amazing at times...but some of those times are amazingly awful.
I agree, Alex Smith is never going to beAT Peyton Manning.

Amazing how Kaep playing bad, somehow makes Alex Smith look good.

Another one late to the party. Look up a few posts and you can start counting.
:lmao: Who exactly was late to the party?
You're quoting posts from January...2013...and asking who's second guessing the move to Kaep...you obviously didn't read the recent posts in this thread. Instead, you went back almost 2 years to find a post to quote so you could try to make yourself look cool.I'd say that makes you late to the party. Most 9er fans are over Kaep. So instead of hitting the archives, you could have just read tonight's posts and you would have had your answer.
Apparently you don't know how these threads work
Well look what the cat dragged in.

I blame Harbaugh. Too much arrogance for a guy who hasn't ever won anything. People are winning games with Mark Sanchez and Brian Hoyer at the helm. He's got his hand picked golden boy and his team is sliding. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Harbaugh is over rated. He inherited a stacked team, took them up a level past where Singletary (miscast as a HC) and then he couldn't bring them to the promised land. And his team has slowly been sliding backwards as HIS guys have inherited starting gigs. Think about it, who has he drafted that is better than the guy he inherited? Not CK, not Hyde, not any of the wideouts. And he's supposedly this offensive guru.
I actually agree. I don't know why he doesn't throw to the RBs or TE more (even when Vernon Davis was catching a lot of touchdowns last year, he still wasn't catching a ton of balls like a top caliber TE should be), but his offense is very predictable. He doesn't do his QB any favors by not giving him any of those "easy" short dump-off, screens, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
“He’s a great player,” Harbaugh said. “I don’t know how everybody else doesn’t see it that way. Great with a capital ‘G’—at the highest level of great.”

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I, for one, just don't understand his implosion. He has the speed to run like a mad man. He has an absolute cannon for an arm. He has weapons to throw to. He has a back to hand it off to.

I'm thinking he's going down the path that Michael Vick did. Talent through the roof, but horrible inaccurate.

-23 quarterbacks have completed a higher percentage of their passes this year.

-13 quarterbacks have thrown more touchdown passes.

-14 quarterbacks have a higher YPA this year.

-18 quarterbacks have a higher passer rating.

-21 quarterbacks have a higher QBR.

Kaepernick is who he is. He's not a bad QB, but he's not a great one either. He is not a difference maker. He is an average NFL starting QB. That sounds about right. He's in that same tier with Cam Newton and Jay Cutler.

I, for one, just don't understand his implosion. He has the speed to run like a mad man. He has an absolute cannon for an arm. He has weapons to throw to. He has a back to hand it off to.

I'm thinking he's going down the path that Michael Vick did. Talent through the roof, but horrible inaccurate.
It has nothing to do with his skills, it's what is up top. He just doesn't get it, doesn't understand how to play QB. I don't know if he doesn't watch enough film or he can't process the information, but it feels like he'll just never get it.

Raider Nation said:
I think Crapernick's performance killed drummer.
I think he has more wins then the past whoever is at QB does over the past few season than OAK has.
Has it come down to boosting Kumperdink up by comparing him to Raider QB's over the last 2 years?

Desperation.
I'm not the one who started this thread. The one who did disappeared, and now posts as jurb.

Faust said:
Been posting that in the SF thread for weeks. But this thread is for guys who need to rub one out because they don't know football.
:goodposting:

Kaepernick would stop overthrowing guys on intermediate routes by 5 yards if only he had a deep threat or three.
He's the fastest threat on the whole offense. The problem with the offense is that it's too slow to spread guys out and create space. It's not Chip Kelley's. Hell, they couldn't shoehorn LaMichael James or any other RB in it. They boot back into a pancake offense because they have Gore, who is used to running in pancake offenses.

No horse in this race, but Gimme Carr over Kaep. No joke.

Put Carr in that offensive talent pool, and they're much, much better

Faust said:
Been posting that in the SF thread for weeks. But this thread is for guys who need to rub one out because they don't know football.
:goodposting:

Kaepernick would stop overthrowing guys on intermediate routes by 5 yards if only he had a deep threat or three.
He's the fastest threat on the whole offense. The problem with the offense is that it's too slow to spread guys out and create space. It's not Chip Kelley's. Hell, they couldn't shoehorn LaMichael James or any other RB in it. They boot back into a pancake offense because they have Gore, who is used to running in pancake offenses.
I do agree they need a deep threat. But Colin regularly overthrows guys on short and intermediate routes. He regularly tries forcing it to covered receivers while missing guys wide open for shorter gains. Those issues aren't a matter of lacking a deep threat. That's on Kaepernick.

from a fantasy standpoint, his value is pretty limited without the rushing added in to boot. he's not sexy from a passing standpoint this season but downright ugly without that boost.

He's my #2 in dynasty and I'm starting to look pretty hard for a replacement. When the rushing yards aren't there he's a pretty dismal fantasy option.

He's my #2 in dynasty and I'm starting to look pretty hard for a replacement. When the rushing yards aren't there he's a pretty dismal fantasy option.
Similar situation for me. He was pretty solid for the first six games this season but he's a dumpster fire the past several weeks. The rushing yards helped offset the lack of passing or scoring through the air. It also helped that entire offense open up.

Raider Nation said:
I think he has more wins then the past whoever is at QB does over the past few season than OAK has.
Has it come down to boosting Kumperdink up by comparing him to Raider QB's over the last 2 years?Desperation.
I'm not the one who started this thread. The one who did disappeared, and now posts as jurb.
Wrong again. You're the only one using aliases here.

Raider Nation said:
Has it come down to boosting Kumperdink up by comparing him to Raider QB's over the last 2 years?Desperation.
Wrong again. You're the only one using aliases here.
I've been posting with the same nic since I joined here, and ain't that hard up enough to have another alias.

You on the other hand, should use one.

ETA: Chiming in after a Kaep loss is being a total pud BTW. I call you out after a win, and you're nowhere to be found. Grow up and get a pair, will ya?

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_27034860/picking-apart-kaepernicks-49ers-passing-game

Picking apart the 49ers passing game:

ANTA CLARA -- Colin Kaepernick has attempted more deep passes than anyone in the NFL. More than Andrew Luck, Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady, and almost twice as many as Aaron Rodgers.

But failure with the long ball has helped turn the 49ers (7-5) into long shots for a playoff berth.

Kaepernick went 0 for 10 on throws of at least 10 yards in Thursday night's 19-3 flop against the Seattle Seahawks, and both of Richard Sherman's interceptions came on two such passes.

"It's not an evolved passing game. It doesn't seem like cutting edge," said Hall of Fame wide receiver James Lofton, an all-time great deep threat.

There's no doubting Kaepernick has one of the league's strongest arms. That helped make him such a fascinating prospect when he replaced Alex Smith in the midst of a 2012 run to the Super Bowl.

Kaepernick's accuracy, however, ranks 20th when it comes to passes of 20 yards or more, according to the stat gurus at Pro Football Focus. He's attempted a league-high 61 passes in that range, and he's completed 20, with four touchdowns and four interceptions.

Ever since his 2012 breakout season, Kaepernick's skills have been picked apart. Can he go through his progressions, past one read? Can he succeed in the pocket? Can he read defenses like his cerebral predecessor, Smith? Can he put touch on the ball?

Now, can he go deep?

None of those questions have been answered consistently, nor can they be after what amounts to two full years as a starting quarterback.

"We keep working. That's the only way it's going to get right," Kaepernick said in very humble fashion Thursday night, after he owned up to "bad throws" that led to Sherman's interceptions.

A more peculiar answer came when he was asked why so many other throws went awry -- overthrown, out of bounds, to a covered receiver instead of an open one. Why? "I wish I knew," Kaepernick responded.

"One man can't win the whole game," left guard Mike Iupati said in defense of his quarterback. "It's 11 of us."

Tight end Vernon Davis has been a missing man. His downfield spark is missing, as he's averaging 9.1 yards per catch, which would be the lowest mark of his nine-year career. Davis had two receptions Thursday for 13 yards, and he's had three games with fewer yards. After catching two touchdown passes in the season-opening win, Davis has none since.

"Vernon Davis catches better going away than coming back to the quarterback, and asking him to sit for the ball," said Lofton, now a SiriusXM NFL Radio host. "He's best on the go. He's their fastest receiver."

The 49ers hoped to boost their passing game this season by bringing in veterans Brandon Lloyd and Stevie Johnson. Each was targeted six times Thursday, and they combined for four catches for 34 yards. Rookie Bruce Ellington's speed hasn't been a factor, as he totaled just five catches for 54 yards before an ankle injury sidelined him the past three games.

Whereas Kaepernick is averaging a career-low 7.3 yards per attempt, his completions aren't garnering much after the catch. He leads the league with 61.8 percent of his yards coming through the air, per Pro Football Focus.

He also ranks first in dropped passes (29), and although that can be an indictment of his receivers, he's not exempt from blame.

"It's funny that (Anquan) Boldin is his go-to guy, because he has great hands. Colin will throw to him from 6 yards away, and he'll catch that fastball," Lofton added. "If that was thrown to me, I'd dislocate my fingers. He needs to refine his form."

Boldin has dropped seven of 95 targeted passes, and Michael Crabtree has the league's second-most drops with nine in 81 targets.

"If we want to turn back the clock, I remember playing with Joe Montana at the Pro Bowl when he threw me a slant pass," Lofton added. "Joe Montana's ball came out like butter and was so soft to catch. Colin Kaepernick has an extra-strong arm and every ball he throws is like a fastball."

Crabtree's frustration after Thursday's game centered on the 49ers' scheme, or how the Seahawks' was better.

"Some of this is game plan," former 49ers cornerback and radio analyst Eric Davis said Friday on NFL Network. "You heard Richard Sherman say in his postgame interview he was expecting certain routes. If you stick to the same things from an offensive game plan standpoint, good players are going to read it and know it. ... You have to look at it from the coaching staff standpoint and start changing things up."

Davis did note that Kaepernick needs to make better decisions in terms of avoiding sacks and throwing away the ball safely. Kaepernick's 38 sacks are more than any other quarterback, and just one shy of last season's total. His eight interceptions (in 376 attempts) are the same number he had last season (in 416 attempts).

While an emphasis seems to be on attempting deeper passes, an apparent trade-off is keeping Kaepernick from designed runs, such as out of the pistol formation and zone-read schemes.

"He wanted to throw the ball more than he wanted to run," Seahawks defensive lineman Michael Bennett said. "He had some lanes, but there is probably a lot of pressure on him to be able to be a passing quarterback."

That might be an understatement

Is anybody starting him this weekend? I know he has really struggled this season but Oakland is 100% uncut doo-doo.

Maybe... just maybe... he has a good game on Sunday?

Is anybody starting him this weekend? I know he has really struggled this season but Oakland is 100% uncut doo-doo.

Starting him over Eli, and Mettenberger/Locker. I think he's going to have an enormous game, and at worst it'll be 250+ and 1TD+.

Starting him over Eli, and Mettenberger/Locker. I think he's going to have an enormous game, and at worst it'll be 250+ and 1TD+.
You think 250 yards passing is his floor? The 49ers won't have to throw the ball more than 5 times.

You think 250 yards passing is his floor? The 49ers won't have to throw the ball more than 5 times.
The way the Raiders are playing, five pass attempts could easily result in 250 yards.

They're definitely the kind of team that Kaepernick gets his wheels working against, so I'm thinking of total yards. Something like Tannehill's game (278/2 passing, 5/35 rushing).

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_27034860/picking-apart-kaepernicks-49ers-passing-game

Picking apart the 49ers passing game:

ANTA CLARA -- Colin Kaepernick has attempted more deep passes than anyone in the NFL. More than Andrew Luck, Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady, and almost twice as many as Aaron Rodgers.

But failure with the long ball has helped turn the 49ers (7-5) into long shots for a playoff berth.

Kaepernick went 0 for 10 on throws of at least 10 yards in Thursday night's 19-3 flop against the Seattle Seahawks, and both of Richard Sherman's interceptions came on two such passes.

"It's not an evolved passing game. It doesn't seem like cutting edge," said Hall of Fame wide receiver James Lofton, an all-time great deep threat.

There's no doubting Kaepernick has one of the league's strongest arms. That helped make him such a fascinating prospect when he replaced Alex Smith in the midst of a 2012 run to the Super Bowl.

Kaepernick's accuracy, however, ranks 20th when it comes to passes of 20 yards or more, according to the stat gurus at Pro Football Focus. He's attempted a league-high 61 passes in that range, and he's completed 20, with four touchdowns and four interceptions.

Ever since his 2012 breakout season, Kaepernick's skills have been picked apart. Can he go through his progressions, past one read? Can he succeed in the pocket? Can he read defenses like his cerebral predecessor, Smith? Can he put touch on the ball?

Now, can he go deep?

None of those questions have been answered consistently, nor can they be after what amounts to two full years as a starting quarterback.

"We keep working. That's the only way it's going to get right," Kaepernick said in very humble fashion Thursday night, after he owned up to "bad throws" that led to Sherman's interceptions.

A more peculiar answer came when he was asked why so many other throws went awry -- overthrown, out of bounds, to a covered receiver instead of an open one. Why? "I wish I knew," Kaepernick responded.

"One man can't win the whole game," left guard Mike Iupati said in defense of his quarterback. "It's 11 of us."

Tight end Vernon Davis has been a missing man. His downfield spark is missing, as he's averaging 9.1 yards per catch, which would be the lowest mark of his nine-year career. Davis had two receptions Thursday for 13 yards, and he's had three games with fewer yards. After catching two touchdown passes in the season-opening win, Davis has none since.

"Vernon Davis catches better going away than coming back to the quarterback, and asking him to sit for the ball," said Lofton, now a SiriusXM NFL Radio host. "He's best on the go. He's their fastest receiver."

The 49ers hoped to boost their passing game this season by bringing in veterans Brandon Lloyd and Stevie Johnson. Each was targeted six times Thursday, and they combined for four catches for 34 yards. Rookie Bruce Ellington's speed hasn't been a factor, as he totaled just five catches for 54 yards before an ankle injury sidelined him the past three games.

Whereas Kaepernick is averaging a career-low 7.3 yards per attempt, his completions aren't garnering much after the catch. He leads the league with 61.8 percent of his yards coming through the air, per Pro Football Focus.

He also ranks first in dropped passes (29), and although that can be an indictment of his receivers, he's not exempt from blame.

"It's funny that (Anquan) Boldin is his go-to guy, because he has great hands. Colin will throw to him from 6 yards away, and he'll catch that fastball," Lofton added. "If that was thrown to me, I'd dislocate my fingers. He needs to refine his form."

Boldin has dropped seven of 95 targeted passes, and Michael Crabtree has the league's second-most drops with nine in 81 targets.

"If we want to turn back the clock, I remember playing with Joe Montana at the Pro Bowl when he threw me a slant pass," Lofton added. "Joe Montana's ball came out like butter and was so soft to catch. Colin Kaepernick has an extra-strong arm and every ball he throws is like a fastball."

Crabtree's frustration after Thursday's game centered on the 49ers' scheme, or how the Seahawks' was better.

"Some of this is game plan," former 49ers cornerback and radio analyst Eric Davis said Friday on NFL Network. "You heard Richard Sherman say in his postgame interview he was expecting certain routes. If you stick to the same things from an offensive game plan standpoint, good players are going to read it and know it. ... You have to look at it from the coaching staff standpoint and start changing things up."

Davis did note that Kaepernick needs to make better decisions in terms of avoiding sacks and throwing away the ball safely. Kaepernick's 38 sacks are more than any other quarterback, and just one shy of last season's total. His eight interceptions (in 376 attempts) are the same number he had last season (in 416 attempts).

While an emphasis seems to be on attempting deeper passes, an apparent trade-off is keeping Kaepernick from designed runs, such as out of the pistol formation and zone-read schemes.

"He wanted to throw the ball more than he wanted to run," Seahawks defensive lineman Michael Bennett said. "He had some lanes, but there is probably a lot of pressure on him to be able to be a passing quarterback."

That might be an understatement
I posted how Kaep has thrown deep more than any QB maybe since Steve Young in the SF thread, and Young rarely threw deep. I suppose I could had posted the Alex Smith/Jimmy Raye/Vernon Davis connection with Raye's "All go run in a straight line hit Davis running a seam route because Smith can only hit that one over 20 yards because Davis is faster than Issac Bruce", but I try to forget that.

Users who are viewing this thread