What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone not like Eddie Lacy? (2 Viewers)

I don't know what you mean-the guy's game isn't being shifty and fast, but that doesn't mean he's not talented. Did you see the screen last night where he took thre steps, got full head of steam and absolutely trucked the ATL LB? Not many RB's in the league can do THAT. Different strokes I guess. He's one of only a handful of guys that can legit stay on for three downs, he can catch and has proven his ability in space when he gets a head of steam, he has a nose for the endzone-on pace for 14 total TDs. I just don't see what you are talking about man.
Clearly you don't get it because your entire defense of him has nothing to do with anything I said.

I said he's not special. He can run over people. Cool. It's fun to watch. Let's see how long that keeps him healthy and relevant.
What did you say? Do you mean the hard hitters quoted below where you say he's fat and slow, give no reason to assume his wheels will fall off, other than a 'feeling' and compare him to a single RB that has no comps in play or build other than dreads? okay. :shrug:

I could be wrong but I don't see a long career for Lacy. He's fat and looks slow footed to me. He will clearly be fantasy relevant as long as he's the starter and Rodgers is there but he is nothing special to me. IMO James Starks flashes more than Lacy.
What does this mean, exactly?

I suspect the wheels will fall off that ice cream truck sooner than you'd expect
Anything to back this up? Are you saying you project injury for him soon?

Plenty of "unspecial" RBs hit for a little while in perfect situations. They get drafted really high in fantasy drafts. Spend a few years in relevance and then vanish. Ask Joseph Addai.
What does Joe Addai have to do with anything?
So you disagree. Got it.

Look, I don't have anything I can point at to say "on this day, he will fall off". For me, he's not a premier talent, does nothing special (except run people over), but he's in a beautiful situation to put up fantasy points. Him being fat and slow footed just compounds my belief that his relevance as a top fantasy scorer will not be long lived. When that will happen, I have no clue. I don't have a crystal ball. Whatever his window is, it's enough to make owner's salivate...and that is absolutely legit. That's not in question with me.

As for Addai, he's a comparison as someone who wasn't special and was replaceable. There are parallels in their situation. Neither player was/is special (IMO), yet were in great situations and both drafted high (Addai was a 1st rounder). I already explained that, so if you don't like the correlation, then say that, but your "what does Addai have to do with anything" just comes off as an angry deflection.

By saying Starks "flashes more than Lacy", I'm saying that when I watch both, Starks pops more on the screen to me. He certainly looks like a better athlete, more elusive, whatever. I'm not saying he's good. I'm not saying he should be starting (he shouldn't be, he's best served as a COP). I'm simply saying when I watch both, it's a bit concerning that Lacy's backup looks faster, more elusive, and just as good as a receiver. That tends to lead me to believe that Lacy's accomplishments have as much, if not more, to do with his situation than him being some transcendent talent that will be a top fantasy scorer until he's in his late 20s.

I'm not predicting injury (as others have also asked), but his running style and minimal elusiveness would lead me to believe that he's going to take much more of a pounding than most RBs. Considering how many players leave weekly with concussions or get banged up with shoulder/hip injuries, you're kidding yourself if that isn't a concern.

I don't know what you mean-the guy's game isn't being shifty and fast, but that doesn't mean he's not talented. Did you see the screen last night where he took thre steps, got full head of steam and absolutely trucked the ATL LB? Not many RB's in the league can do THAT. Different strokes I guess. He's one of only a handful of guys that can legit stay on for three downs, he can catch and has proven his ability in space when he gets a head of steam, he has a nose for the endzone-on pace for 14 total TDs. I just don't see what you are talking about man.
Clearly you don't get it because your entire defense of him has nothing to do with anything I said.

I said he's not special. He can run over people. Cool. It's fun to watch. Let's see how long that keeps him healthy and relevant.
What did you say? Do you mean the hard hitters quoted below where you say he's fat and slow, give no reason to assume his wheels will fall off, other than a 'feeling' and compare him to a single RB that has no comps in play or build other than dreads? okay. :shrug:

I could be wrong but I don't see a long career for Lacy. He's fat and looks slow footed to me. He will clearly be fantasy relevant as long as he's the starter and Rodgers is there but he is nothing special to me. IMO James Starks flashes more than Lacy.

I suspect the wheels will fall off that ice cream truck sooner than you'd expect

Plenty of "unspecial" RBs hit for a little while in perfect situations. They get drafted really high in fantasy drafts. Spend a few years in relevance and then vanish. Ask Joseph Addai.
So you disagree. Got it.

Look, I don't have anything I can point at to say "on this day, he will fall off". For me, he's not a premier talent, does nothing special (except run people over), but he's in a beautiful situation to put up fantasy points. Him being fat and slow footed just compounds my belief that his relevance as a top fantasy scorer will not be long lived. When that will happen, I have no clue. I don't have a crystal ball. Whatever his window is, it's enough to make owner's salivate...and that is absolutely legit. That's not in question with me.

As for Addai, he's a comparison as someone who wasn't special and was replaceable. There are parallels in their situation. Neither player was/is special (IMO), yet were in great situations and both drafted high (Addai was a 1st rounder). I already explained that, so if you don't like the correlation, then say that, but your "what does Addai have to do with anything" just comes off as an angry deflection.

By saying Starks "flashes more than Lacy", I'm saying that when I watch both, Starks pops more on the screen to me. He certainly looks like a better athlete, more elusive, whatever. I'm not saying he's good. I'm not saying he should be starting (he shouldn't be, he's best served as a COP). I'm simply saying when I watch both, it's a bit concerning that Lacy's backup looks faster, more elusive, and just as good as a receiver. That tends to lead me to believe that Lacy's accomplishments have as much, if not more, to do with his situation than him being some transcendent talent that will be a top fantasy scorer until he's in his late 20s.

I'm not predicting injury (as others have also asked), but his running style and minimal elusiveness would lead me to believe that he's going to take much more of a pounding than most RBs. Considering how many players leave weekly with concussions or get banged up with shoulder/hip injuries, you're kidding yourself if that isn't a concern.
So just hyperbole, got it.

The Addai comparison is horrible. You are saying that Lacy isn't 'special' in your opinion. And because Addai wasn't, in your opinion, 'special', he's a good comparison to Lacy. Its not angry deflection, I seriously don't understand how Addai is entering into this conversation. Both RBs with good QBs?

And so I'm clear, Lacy's success is due to his situation-not talent. And Starks looks better running and at least equal in receiving. But he can't get on the field for more than COP and mop up duty.

Regarding injury, I'd much rather have a bruiser than a fast guy any day. One or two ankle sprains, knee tweaks etc. and the fast guy that relies on quick cuts is not playing anymore. Its not coincidence that Lacy is more effective later in the games or that he is being relied upon more now than in the beginning of the season. His body is built to take a beating and still go.

Like I said, I just don't get how anyone watching these games can question Lacy's ability. I agree he is in a great situation as well, don't get me wrong, but do you see that changing any time soon?

Starks more elusive than Lacy? LOL...

He pops more because he is faster probably??

Heres a tip-- watch Lacy in the open field, one of the most elusive 230+ Rbs of all time.

Heres another-- watch him catch? Dude is nicknamed 'moss' cause he catches everything

Heres another-- watch him pass block? Rated #1 in the league-- thats gonna keep him on the field ALOT... I see no reason he isn't a top 5-8 RB in FF for the next 6-8 years. He has a little gut? Who cares-- So did/does Lynch, Bettis, Michael Turner, Eddie George, Rathman, etc...

So you disagree. Got it.

So just hyperbole, got it.

The Addai comparison is horrible. You are saying that Lacy isn't 'special' in your opinion. And because Addai wasn't, in your opinion, 'special', he's a good comparison to Lacy. Its not angry deflection, I seriously don't understand how Addai is entering into this conversation. Both RBs with good QBs?

And so I'm clear, Lacy's success is due to his situation-not talent. And Starks looks better running and at least equal in receiving. But he can't get on the field for more than COP and mop up duty.

Regarding injury, I'd much rather have a bruiser than a fast guy any day. One or two ankle sprains, knee tweaks etc. and the fast guy that relies on quick cuts is not playing anymore. Its not coincidence that Lacy is more effective later in the games or that he is being relied upon more now than in the beginning of the season. His body is built to take a beating and still go.

Like I said, I just don't get how anyone watching these games can question Lacy's ability. I agree he is in a great situation as well, don't get me wrong, but do you see that changing any time soon?
Didn't work out that way last night.

Fantasy stats are awesome and he's winning people games, but he's not a guy I will buy in dynasty.
He looks like an extremely dynamic player. He does it all. What in the heck are you are even talking about??

Last edited by a moderator:

Fantasy stats are awesome and he's winning people games, but he's not a guy I will buy in dynasty.
He looks like an extremely dynamic player. He does it all. What in the heck are you are even talking about??
I guess he thinks Lacy's success is dependent on Rodgers being the QB, but Lacy had a great rookie season last year, and Rodgers missed half of it with a broken collarbone.

I guess he thinks Lacy's success is dependent on Rodgers being the QB, but Lacy had a great rookie season last year, and Rodgers missed half of it with a broken collarbone.
How dare I have a different opinion of a player you all are clearly infatuated with. It's ok guys. Just because I don't like him doesn't mean you can't.

Carry on.

How dare I have a different opinion of a player you all are clearly infatuated with. It's ok guys. Just because I don't like him doesn't mean you can't.

Carry on.
Who said you couldn't have an opinion? Where have I shown infatuation with Eddie Lacy?

How dare I have a different opinion of a player you all are clearly infatuated with. It's ok guys. Just because I don't like him doesn't mean you can't.Carry on.
having an opinion is fine. Just base it on something more than he's fat.I'm not infatuated with him but I think he's a top-five running back in the league. When I hear an opinion from someone else that contradicts that line of thinking I'd like to know what they are basing it on.

How dare I have a different opinion of a player you all are clearly infatuated with. It's ok guys. Just because I don't like him doesn't mean you can't.Carry on.
having an opinion is fine. Just base it on something more than he's fat.I'm not infatuated with him but I think he's a top-five running back in the league. When I hear an opinion from someone else that contradicts that line of thinking I'd like to know what they are basing it on.
If you can't comprehend that I based it on more than he's fat, then we are clearly not going to get to any common ground.

And, FWIW, he doesn't even sniff Top 5 RB in the league. If you are talking in terms of fantasy points as of today, then I can see that argument. But don't kid yourself. He's not a Top 5 RB in the NFL.

So explain it then. You said he looks fat. He looks slow. Starks pops more to you. What analysis am I missing? And aren't we talking about fantasy production?

Don't waste your time arguing with this guy. He hates Lacy. Who cares. Moving on.

doowain said:
unckeyherb said:
doowain said:
simey said:

If you can't comprehend that I based it on more than he's fat, then we are clearly not going to get to any common ground.

And, FWIW, he doesn't even sniff Top 5 RB in the league. If you are talking in terms of fantasy points as of today, then I can see that argument. But don't kid yourself. He's not a Top 5 RB in the NFL.
I would venture to guess that there are a lot of NFL coaches that disagree with this. This list of top 5 RB's changes yearly, but it would be foolish to not at least add Lacy into the conversation of top 5 rb's in the league and have valid reasoning as to why he belongs there.

About the only thing Lacy lacks is top end speed.

-vision

-can catch

-can block

-can spin and avoid

-can truck anyone

About the only thing Lacy lacks is top end speed.

-vision

-can catch

-can block

-can spin and avoid

-can truck anyone
At the pro level it's more about vision than anything else - that and pas blocking so you stay on the field. Lacy is excellent at both.

doowain said:
simey said:

You can have an opinion. Just try to back it up with something other than your feelings. The guy has been running possessed since like week 5. And as noted before, he isn't dependent on Rodgers. he won OROY last season with rodgers out most the season

I see a thinner Jerome Bettis.
I was thinking the other day that Bettis was a good comparison for Lacy.
Jamal Lewis with less nimble feet. That is what he has always reminded me of. He has the vision to see the cut back lanes and while he doesn't have the shiftiness that you see in some guys, he has diagnosed the play fast enough to account for it. He can run with power. He can pass block very well. Very complete back. Like others say, not the top end speed but you don't need it to be effective. I think it actually helps him. Allows people to remember that he is a big guy (can block, can move a pile, etc). Too often, these quick guys get a knock for not being the chain movers and get forgotten in critical short yardage. You will never think that you should pull Lacy in short yardage.

doowain said:
simey said:

You can have an opinion. Just try to back it up with something other than your feelings. The guy has been running possessed since like week 5. And as noted before, he isn't dependent on Rodgers. he won OROY last season with rodgers out most the season
Predictions are often nothing more than "feelings" or what someone sees when they watch a player. They aren't always predicated on hard facts. And that's why they are predictions because they don't always come true. I already stated the way I feel about Lacy and what I foresee as his long term relevance cannot be proven out by saying "look at this" or "here are some stats to look at to prove my point". It's not that difficult to understand.

ETA: You (and others) clearly disagree with me and just want to argue things I have no interest in debating. It's my opinion and could very well be completely wrong about. Let's leave it at that and move on.

Rotoworld reporting that Lacy did next to nothing today in practice.

Anyone concerned about this situation?

It's already a pretty tough matchup in the road.

You'd think Starks would be even more involved with a dinged Lacy.

This is looking dicey.

If Green Bay plays more games like today, Lacey will put up stats. This may have been a matchup thing. When Green Bay is in the lead or has a lead, they don't have a problem running it in on the goalline.

Green Bay was a thrill to watch today.
They threw a lot inside the 10 yesterday.

Lacy also had a second TD that was called back because of holding also, though.

I agree if the Packers are running as smoothly as they were yesterday, there are going to be happy days for Lacy owners. I think I said somewhere last week that I thought the Packers were too talented to slumber like they had been and I think we saw the beginning of what should be yesterday now that they have emerged from the other side of the Hawks/Jets/Lions (2 on the road) gauntlet.

I imagine there will be some games coming up shortly where he is 80-120 with a td or 2 and people will breathe.
Long season. Things change. Thinking we may need to realize there is a change occurring again (as much as I hate to say it).

I get the sense that the Packers are starting to sniff their playoff position and might scale Lacy back a bit until the playoffs.

I am sitting him this week.

Rotoworld reporting that Lacy did next to nothing today in practice.

Anyone concerned about this situation?

It's already a pretty tough matchup in the road.

You'd think Starks would be even more involved with a dinged Lacy.

This is looking dicey.
They just had to send him on that deep end zone pass.

I haven't picked Starks up, maybe I'm wrong (....) but I've never been that impressed with his production and it's a tough enough matchup.

If Lacy plays then I guess they will limit him but we have seen that Lacy before, pray for a TD. Hopefully they rest him and he will be ready to go. He's looked too great lately not to start.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8382/eddie-lacy

Speaking following Thursday's practice, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Eddie Lacy (hip) is "making progress."

Lacy was officially "limited" on Thursday, but did "little to nothing" in the estimation of beat writer Rob Demovsky. Demovsky wonders if Lacy's injury is "more of an issue than originally thought." What Lacy is able to do on Friday will be key. For now, owners can keep him penciled in as their RB1, but need to be readying a back-up plan.
Rough week for this to happen. I grabbed Starks but probably won't start him if Lacy can't go. Didn't love the matchup to begin with.

What awful timing! I suppose this is the "wild card" nature of fantasy football. It doesn't look too good for Lacy to start this Sunday at least for now. I have Lacy on both of my playoff teams and I did not trade him early in the year when I received numerous offers. I was all in on Lacy this year! I did pick up on Starks but I am not too thrilled with him. For all those Lacy owners, I am thinking about you! What are your options should Lacy rest this Sunday?

im starting mason tonight, so ingram is my swing guy with fjax and herron

thinking fjax could be the sneeky start, i also have starks, but unless he gets the full load im not sure

What awful timing! I suppose this is the "wild card" nature of fantasy football. It doesn't look too good for Lacy to start this Sunday at least for now. I have Lacy on both of my playoff teams and I did not trade him early in the year when I received numerous offers. I was all in on Lacy this year! I did pick up on Starks but I am not too thrilled with him. For all those Lacy owners, I am thinking about you! What are your options should Lacy rest this Sunday?
I have Steven Jackson ready to go but he doesn't have the PPR upside of Lacy. The tough thing is unless Lacy practices in full tomorrow he may be a part time player on the road against a good defense. Jackson might be the better start anyway.

Fully ready to trust Starks this weekend. Would rather it be Lacy but I don't want to deal with a one play deal and he doesn't play a snap after.
likely going with Joique over Lacy/Starks. But definitely not the way I wanted to start my playoff run.
Thanks for the insights. Definitely not way to start the playoffs. I will post a question in the Coaches section about the dilemma. Good luck!

Think the best case scenario IF you have Starks handcuffed is that they just flat out make Lacy inactive. I think a full dose of Starks will get you closer to the production you expect rather than if Lacy plays and possibly plays part-time.

If he sits and can play next week AND your team survives, that suddenly looks very juicy.

Think the best case scenario IF you have Starks handcuffed is that they just flat out make Lacy inactive. I think a full dose of Starks will get you closer to the production you expect rather than if Lacy plays and possibly plays part-time.

If he sits and can play next week AND your team survives, that suddenly looks very juicy.
Yeah...hoping in a way that is the scenario (and GB wins too).

Then plug Starks or AJ Green (vs Haden...oof) in at flex and hope I make it through to have a healthier Lacy vs. TB in the title game.

had Lacy, Foster, A. Brown, ODB going. Was trying to decide between Ingram and Evans as my flex. Now its looking like they both will play. I rushed to pick up Starks but I can't see starting him.

Users who are viewing this thread