What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (5 Viewers)

Spent 2 hours with Stu today and still can't get my irons fixed.

In 14 years of golfing, I've never felt comfortable swinging my irons. I don't feel comfortable in the set up, the take way, the shot itself or the finish. It's always just felt awkward and loose.

We've tinkered with my grip. Switched from interlock to overlap. Envisioned toeing the ball so I make solid contact instead of heeling it which is natural for me. Taking a divot, not taking a divot. As soon as I take the club back, I start to feel the swing coming unraveled.

Maybe I need xanax and beer. I haven't figured out how to reduce my thinking to "zero" on my iron shots.

Frustrating stuff. Not to be self centered (not to mention like everyone else who thinks they are the best driver of the ball ever), but I have one of the better drives of any group I've ever gone out with and my coach affirms it's one of the nicest swings he's seen from a student. It's long and it's straight. I chip just fine, I putt well. But these f'in irons are making me want to quit golf.

I hit 150 balls today with my 8 irons. I'd say 30 of them were solid contacts, with a coach standing there with me.

These are custom fitted brand new clubs.

I guess back out to the range for another 150 tomorrow, and the next day and the next day.

Anyone got a link to a video or an article surrounding the psychological side of things when it comes to a golf swing? I'm starting to think that might help.

Thanks
Best drill for solid iron contact is this onehttp://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LIi_vvaTh_Y

Once you start compressing the ball from the center if the club youll be able to hit about 90% of full swing distance

First practice session of the year....first time touching a club since November.

1.5 hours putting, chipping and 100 yard shot with a 52. Hit a few dozen drivers and middle irons.

Took the new scotty out for a spin today :wub:
Just borrowed (commandeered?) a friends' that doesn't play anymore, finished with 34 putts - I'm usually around 38. Missed a few 5-8 footers as well so could have snuck in a few more. Definitely liking this thing.

tommyboy said:
Spent 2 hours with Stu today and still can't get my irons fixed.

In 14 years of golfing, I've never felt comfortable swinging my irons. I don't feel comfortable in the set up, the take way, the shot itself or the finish. It's always just felt awkward and loose.

We've tinkered with my grip. Switched from interlock to overlap. Envisioned toeing the ball so I make solid contact instead of heeling it which is natural for me. Taking a divot, not taking a divot. As soon as I take the club back, I start to feel the swing coming unraveled.

Maybe I need xanax and beer. I haven't figured out how to reduce my thinking to "zero" on my iron shots.

Frustrating stuff. Not to be self centered (not to mention like everyone else who thinks they are the best driver of the ball ever), but I have one of the better drives of any group I've ever gone out with and my coach affirms it's one of the nicest swings he's seen from a student. It's long and it's straight. I chip just fine, I putt well. But these f'in irons are making me want to quit golf.

I hit 150 balls today with my 8 irons. I'd say 30 of them were solid contacts, with a coach standing there with me.

These are custom fitted brand new clubs.

I guess back out to the range for another 150 tomorrow, and the next day and the next day.

Anyone got a link to a video or an article surrounding the psychological side of things when it comes to a golf swing? I'm starting to think that might help.

Thanks
Best drill for solid iron contact is this onehttp://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LIi_vvaTh_Y

Once you start compressing the ball from the center if the club youll be able to hit about 90% of full swing distance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT2jXQFid-M

Shot a typical 83 today

48 on the front, 35 on the back.

Don't understand why I skull every wedge early and can't make a putt til I don't give a ####.

To b honest I've done the reverse also but that makes more sense to me.

Never shot 35-35
You can, and will. Just have to not care
Best round at my home course today.

76 - 4 bogeys 14 pars.

Perfectly boring golf.

3rd round of the year today - broke 100 for the first time with a 98...including a 45 on the back. Closed out with a great up and down - so my three rounds this year are 105, 102, 98...Getting there - hit the ball easily the best that I have - here's to hoping its a trend.

Funny story as well - so late Saturday afternoon a few buddies were around who never played before and we were bored, so we go over to a par 3 course - complete dump of a place, but I struggle with my 150 yard shots, so good practice for me. Anyway, my girlfriend asks if she come (she's never even swung a golf club before - but she's an athletic girl)...she was our 4th and it's a par 3 course - what could possibly go wrong...

2nd hole - par 3, 140 yards. Hits her drive to the right side of the green, gets up and down for a par.

6th hole - she's about 40 yards out and hits her wedge about 6 inches from the pin.

Now, we have to go out and look for clubs this week... :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
picked these up on Saturday. Former co-worker is now running one of the municipal courses in the northern burbs. I got these for 40% and will be able to order new clubs with his personal use discount. :)

picked these up on Saturday. Former co-worker is now running one of the municipal courses in the northern burbs. I got these for 40% and will be able to order new clubs with his personal use discount. :)
My dad used to help the greens keeper at a course here. I miss the days of getting everything near cost. :kicksrock:

I picked up a Brand New R9 for 135 the month it was released :(

My dad used to help the greens keeper at a course here. I miss the days of getting everything near cost. :kicksrock:

I picked up a Brand New R9 for 135 the month it was released :(
I also ordered the personalized PROV1's from him. Buy 3, get 1 free @ $42/dozen.

Has anyone used a range-finder watch, like Garman?

Seems to be a good fit for me, as I wear a watch playing and I walk a lot.

But just not sure how helpful they are, or which ones are the best value.
It seems like a small step up from a stroke counter wristwatch.
Other than the satellite part.

I went with a Garmin S3, which was on sale for $179 since there was only 1 left and the S4 and S6 are out.

Feels just like my watch, and seems to give me the basic data I need...we'll see.
I've used this 5 times now, and love it.

When walking it makes things so much easier. Nothing to carry...don't need to search for a sprinkler, etc.

It helps that I'm on my home course, so I don't need a lot of dog leg or hazard yardage...but that functionality is also there.

Finally got back into the 80's this past weekend.

Took two weeks off where I didn't touch a club. Also am borrowing my buddy's old Callway BB12 irons to help me a bit since there is no way my game is in the shape it needs to be to be playing muscle backs. A bit humbling, but I'm glad I made the switch. My hands felt like they were on vacation.

Still a complete struggle off the tee - although I think I have a good idea now of where it's failing and maybe that'll help my bad swing thoughts. Ended the round, which was a partner best ball match play, with a birdie on 18 (500 yard par 5 where I hit one down the middle, hybrid onto the green, and two good putts) to win the match after my much better partner hit his second shot into a hazard. Huge help to the confidence.

Just found out I get to play Chicago Golf Club this year. Buddy of mine won a free foursome there in a charity pro am for the local junior golf assoc. Looks like we are setting it up for June.

:pickle:

• Smile
Reactions: Zow

Took two weeks off where I didn't touch a club. Also am borrowing my buddy's old Callway BB12 irons to help me a bit since there is no way my game is in the shape it needs to be to be playing muscle backs. A bit humbling, but I'm glad I made the switch. My hands felt like they were on vacation.

Still a complete struggle off the tee - although I think I have a good idea now of where it's failing and maybe that'll help my bad swing thoughts. Ended the round, which was a partner best ball match play, with a birdie on 18 (500 yard par 5 where I hit one down the middle, hybrid onto the green, and two good putts) to win the match after my much better partner hit his second shot into a hazard. Huge help to the confidence.
Why do you still play a muscle back club? Do you need to work your irons that much?

I have a set of Aussie blades I used in college when I was playing 5 days/week. I can't find a single benefit to them over today's more modern clubs. They are in my basement and i bring them out for a round every other year.

Funny story as well - so late Saturday afternoon a few buddies were around who never played before and we were bored, so we go over to a par 3 course - complete dump of a place, but I struggle with my 150 yard shots, so good practice for me. Anyway, my girlfriend asks if she come (she's never even swung a golf club before - but she's an athletic girl)...she was our 4th and it's a par 3 course - what could possibly go wrong...

2nd hole - par 3, 140 yards. Hits her drive to the right side of the green, gets up and down for a par.

6th hole - she's about 40 yards out and hits her wedge about 6 inches from the pin.

That's hot. Doesn't mean you can't go out and play without her.

Why do you still play a muscle back club? Do you need to work your irons that much?
About a year ago I was an 8 with a starter set and crushing the ball. Game was improving every time out. Could move the ball both ways. My swing mechanics and swing speeds were near pro. I wanted to upgrade and tested a bunch and hit the Taylor Made Tour preferred MBs better than anything else. Found a barely used set at a great price that fitted me perfectly. At the time of purchase, they ruled. Thought they'd turn me into a much better player.

Of course over a year has past, my swing during the round is shot due to both swing plane and swing thought flaws. So yeah, now I just need to get back to hitting shots straight and consistently.

My daughters friend just got a job working at Oakland Hills CC...said he can take people out every Monday and play the course. Already hooked in for a few rounds there. Having driven by this course many times and seen it on TV many more I can`t wait to play it. I am a 12-13 now..but I think anything under 100 there would be a great score for me there.

http://top100golf.blogspot.com/2008/06/oakland-hills-country-club.html

The more I look at the course 100 might be a lofty goal.

My daughters friend just got a job working at Oakland Hills CC...said he can take people out every Monday and play the course. Already hooked in for a few rounds there. Having driven by this course many times and seen it on TV many more I can`t wait to play it. I am a 12-13 now..but I think anything under 100 there would be a great score for me there.

Jesus, a 257 yard par 3.

How does someone get a handicap? I play at different public courses and I'm not a member anywhere. Buddy of mine joined a club and wants me to play with him at the member guest next year.

How does someone get a handicap? I play at different public courses and I'm not a member anywhere. Buddy of mine joined a club and wants me to play with him at the member guest next year.
At my course we can sponsor a non member to pay for the GHIN service.

Outside of that there are plenty of apps but not sure how to get an OFFICIAL one if you are not in a club

Just pick one of your local courses and join there. You can post all your scores online at CDGA website going forward.

Just pick one of your local courses and join there. You can post all your scores online at CDGA website going forward.
Yep. There's also likely numerous of online "clubs" you can join. You just have to live in the designated area.

So you have to play consistently at the same course?
No, you really just need a "club" to join where your handicap is established. Typically these have been golf course, but now you can do it online. These are all type 1, 2 and 3 clubs. Type 1 is a golf course. Type 2 would be like health club or some other club that isn't a golf course and isn't online. Type 3 is exclusively online and certain conditions are supposed to be met. You can get your handicap from Thunderhawk, but never play one round there. It won't matter.

(Our company used to provide the handicap software to 8 or 9 different state golf associations back in the day when people where trying to move away from being forced to use GHIN by the usga.)

I was there for the Ryder Cup in 2004. USA got crushed. Great time though. Should be fun for you to play. Enjoy it!

Bad news: your greens fees just doubled.

Good news: you'll play a lot more vacation golf.

Bad news: your greens fees just doubled.

Good news: you'll play a lot more vacation golf.
Yup...we're going to play the par 3 again Saturday...not taking her anywhere else until she gets considerably better...but the good news is that now she can't ask "why do you play so much golf?" Sunday, I have a tee time with the guys. So far, so good...

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Just found out I get to play Chicago Golf Club this year. Buddy of mine won a free foursome there in a charity pro am for the local junior golf assoc. Looks like we are setting it up for June.

I grew up about 1 mile from Chicago Golf Club, caddied there for years, and played the course about 20 times. Great course, tough but very fair. It's wide open, but hopefully you play when it's not really windy. Keep the ball out of the prairie grass........you will have a tough time finding your ball, let alone hit it out.

couple of pointers, based on my foggy memory

Number 8 - blind tee shot, target is right over the big mound that's in front of you....about 150 or so yards from the tee. If you have caddies, they will sit on that mound.

Many holes have false fronts so you have to carry it deeper into the green

Number 7 will look short, but don't let the bunkers in front fool you......the second one is well short of the green......it's a full 200 or so yards.

First 4 holes are hard, especially #2.

Here is a link where you can see pictures of the course.

http://www.golftripper.com/chicago-golf-club/

Have a great time......not many get the privilege of playing Chicago Golf Club.....probably the hardest course to play in the Chicago area.

I use TheGrint app for handicap purposes. I don't play in tournaments so it's really just because I'm a nerd and like being able to quantify how bad I am at golf.

I'd be interested to hear what you shoot on average, and what you'd estimate you're handicap to be?

I grew up about 1 mile from Chicago Golf Club, caddied there for years, and played the course about 20 times. Great course, tough but very fair. It's wide open, but hopefully you play when it's not really windy. Keep the ball out of the prairie grass........you will have a tough time finding your ball, let alone hit it out.

couple of pointers, based on my foggy memory

Number 8 - blind tee shot, target is right over the big mound that's in front of you....about 150 or so yards from the tee. If you have caddies, they will sit on that mound.

Many holes have false fronts so you have to carry it deeper into the green

Number 7 will look short, but don't let the bunkers in front fool you......the second one is well short of the green......it's a full 200 or so yards.

First 4 holes are hard, especially #2.

Here is a link where you can see pictures of the course.

http://www.golftripper.com/chicago-golf-club/

Have a great time......not many get the privilege of playing Chicago Golf Club.....probably the hardest course to play in the Chicago area.
Thanks!

:thumbup:

gump said:
I'd be interested to hear what you shoot on average, and what you'd estimate you're handicap to be?
I shoot between 75-85 most rounds. I play average public courses from the longest tees. Usually 6,700-7,200 yds.I have no idea what that translates to re:handicapping.

Anyone ever read Dave Pelz books? I remember reading one about 20 years ago and a couple things really stuck. Really helped my putting game. Not so much because he explained how to putt "correctly", but because he explained philosophies. I believe he was a NASA engineer that became a golf guy.

Anyway, one thing that stuck with me is something that everyone else disagrees with. He said to throw away the belief that putts that come up short are bad. The school of thought is that any putt that is short has zero chance of going in. But he says that no putt that is short will ever be longer than your last putt.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else ever read his stuff. Pretty interesting stuff.

Bender- I am going to go to your guy Stu in the next few weeks. I seemed to have fixed the problems I was having with my driver and happy with my contact on irons. I can always work on my short game, but I have never taken a lesson so a lot of my mechanics are unorthodox. Have you used him for short game lessons? I know things like my grip and posture could use improvements so I could always ask him to focus on that, just wanted to get your thoughts.

Roboto: you're probably like 6. Handicap trends to your best scores, and is often a decent amount lower than your average.

Anyone ever read Dave Pelz books? I remember reading one about 20 years ago and a couple things really stuck. Really helped my putting game. Not so much because he explained how to putt "correctly", but because he explained philosophies. I believe he was a NASA engineer that became a golf guy.

Anyway, one thing that stuck with me is something that everyone else disagrees with. He said to throw away the belief that putts that come up short are bad. The school of thought is that any putt that is short has zero chance of going in. But he says that no putt that is short will ever be longer than your last putt.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else ever read his stuff. Pretty interesting stuff.
Have you seen the setup at his house? ####### incredible.

http://www.golf.com/photos/dave-pelzs-golfers-paradise

Users who are viewing this thread