What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Matt Jones, Colts (1 Viewer)

Jones shouldn't have been started by most tonight but the changing of guard has occurred. He's their new starting RB. Didn't think it would happen this quick. Stick a fork in Morris.

This is why you should stick w the guy whose never given you a reason to trust someone else

Poor Morris
lol
What reason should Morris not be trusted in these situations? Guy's a pro and a beast
it's not that he isn't trusted. Hes a solid back. He just got beaten out by a much better one. Has Morris ever fumbled?
One good game is going to wipe out the last 3 yrs of Morris?

You gotta admit Jones looks better on the same field as Morris.

No one's saying Morris is a scrub. He's just not as good at this moment in time as Jones clearly is.

That freak fumble aside, he's done #### that Morris appears unequipped to do.

This is why you should stick w the guy whose never given you a reason to trust someone else

Poor Morris
lol
What reason should Morris not be trusted in these situations? Guy's a pro and a beast
it's not that he isn't trusted. Hes a solid back. He just got beaten out by a much better one. Has Morris ever fumbled?
One good game is going to wipe out the last 3 yrs of Morris?
I don't think it works that way. Morris will still get to keep his stats from the last three years.

I'm sticking with him. I'll roll with my team if it comes down to a lucky punch out on a great goal line run

a lot of guys either upset they missed out on him or simply don't understand football. This guy has stud written all over him. For hiscsize, the way he turns the corner is unreal.
From an NFL standpoint, I probably agree, but from a fantasy standpoint, not sure yet. They clearly do not have a lot of interest in throwing him the ball (3 catches last week, but none last night in a game they were trailing the whole way), which means in this day and age of PPR, he had better score a lot, and that might be hard to do in an offense with Kirk Cousins as the QB. Morris scored eight times last year with getting most of the first team running reps, and I have to think that while Jones will displace Morris as the lead back (if he hasn't already), Morris is still going to get some touches, so his ceiling is somewhat limited right now for this year, IMO. Games like last night are likely to be more frequent than games like last week.

a lot of guys either upset they missed out on him or simply don't understand football. This guy has stud written all over him. For hiscsize, the way he turns the corner is unreal.
From an NFL standpoint, I probably agree, but from a fantasy standpoint, not sure yet. They clearly do not have a lot of interest in throwing him the ball (3 catches last week, but none last night in a game they were trailing the whole way), which means in this day and age of PPR, he had better score a lot, and that might be hard to do in an offense with Kirk Cousins as the QB. Morris scored eight times last year with getting most of the first team running reps, and I have to think that while Jones will displace Morris as the lead back (if he hasn't already), Morris is still going to get some touches, so his ceiling is somewhat limited right now for this year, IMO. Games like last night are likely to be more frequent than games like last week.
This. We arent a good team. So game script will dictate things and i suspect that we will be playing from behind a great deal(as always). Gruden also has an awful habit of going away from the run if we arent leading and when that happens you will see thompson alot. There will be games that the RBs do well. But moreso just average and i suspect figuring out who will have the bigger day morris/jones will be difficult as it will vary since they seem to want to ride the hot hand. But the reality is, this team is playing for the future so i dont see it being more than a 50/50 split for jones as they want to get a good look at both backs to determine how to proceed with Morris' new contract.

yes. I will agree with all of that. I was a little disappointed in the lack of usage in the passing game. I know Jones has great hands. But I underestimated how good Thompson is there. He impressed me very much catching the ball out of the backfield. Also, I didn't realize how terrible cousins was. Some of the throws he made the high school level. And that is certainly going to cut into Jones's opportunities.

Chris Thompson led Redskins RBs in yards, don't think anyone saw that coming.

I thought he led in snaps too. Can anyone verify the snap counts yet? (Edited)

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Thompson led Redskins RBs in snaps and yards, don't think anyone saw that coming.
game script..behind the whole game.
This. Cousins missing Reed on those two touchdowns, plus throwing those picks, took Washington away from their strength, which is running the ball. If Cousins' play doesn't improve, it's going to severely hold back Jones' production.

This was the first I've gotten to watch Jones play, besides highlights. I love the way he turns the corner so fast for a big man. It's a shame we didn't get to see the great hands they say he has. But I certainly can't argue with Gruden's choice to play Thompson when they got behind. He played great in that role.

JuniorNB said:
LawFitz said:
Fat Nick said:
LawFitz said:
Banger said:
ponchsox said:
The people I see being benched for Jones astonishes me. Did Morris get hurt or something?
I agree. I think there's a good chance there will be a lot of disappointed MJ owners come Monday
Hard to imagine him not getting ~15 touches tonight. Giants have been stout against the run, but have given up a lot of stats to RB receptions. Sample is too small to cast judgment, but if the early trend holds, maybe we see Jones get 3-4 catches with some big gains to supplement his rushing stats.

Plus he has the gamebreaker potential to take one to the house at any point. So there is that.
Honestly, I think it's hard to imagine him GETTING 15 touches tonight.

Last 4 Skins vs. Giants meetings

Skins 13 - Giants 24 --> 19 total RB carries

Skins 14 - Giants 45 --> 15 total RB carries

Skins 6 - Giants 20 --> 21 total RB carries

Skins 17 - Giants 24 --> 17 total RB carries

Yes...I know this Washington team hopefully likes to run the ball A LOT more, but still...That's assuming basically 50% more carries than the best of the last 4 games, AND a 50/50 split with Morris, neither of which is a guarantee.
touches <> carries
This. Jones has great hands. The Skins know how explosive he is and will definitely be trying to get him the ball in space with screens. Think Priest Holmes.
Oops

My whole issue with him in my PPR leagues is the lack of catches. Not having watched Washington games I had just assumed he was getting the third downs compared to Morris. I didn't realize there was a third back in for passing situations. Really kills his value for me that not only is he going to split carries with Morris but he's not going to get catches.

Chris Thompson led Redskins RBs in snaps and yards, don't think anyone saw that coming.
This. Cousins missing Reed on those two touchdowns, plus throwing those picks, took Washington away from their strength, which is running the ball. If Cousins' play doesn't improve, it's going to severely hold back Jones' production.

This was the first I've gotten to watch Jones play, besides highlights. I love the way he turns the corner so fast for a big man. It's a shame we didn't get to see the great hands they say he has. But I certainly can't argue with Gruden's choice to play Thompson when they got behind. He played great in that role.
Realtistically though Cousins isn't likely to improve very much (I certainly wouldn't bank on it). He'll be ok when they can establish the run but as soon as the game becomes one dimensional and he's forced to pass the ball he's going to struggle/make bad decisions. Jones's situation is a risky one because he's going to still be in a significant time share with Morris and he's not the receiving back so the only time you're really guaranteed a lot of touches at this point is when Washington is ahead or in a close game. Looking at their schedule with the offense and defense how many games can you confidently predict that the game script will work in his favor? I certainly thought last night had a good chance of a decent script but that changed quickly in the 1st qtr.

All that being said, it certainly seems as if the balance of power has quickly shifted in this situation and the 60-40 split looks to have shifted from Morris's side to Jones. To me he's a hold and maybe a flex play with tremendous upside unless something significant changes like coaches saying he's going to take over, a Morris injury or he earns the 3rd down role.

I'm not sure what people were expecting here. Were folks really expecting him to be the CJ Anderson of 2015? It's the Redskins. If they get 3 TD's in a game, it's a good game....If a Skins RB gets 1 of them, be happy.

The Good:

Jones seemed to be in more often than not.

He was in on Goal Line situations (the biggest one IMO)

He looked good...say what you will, but he looked good. Fumbles happen.

The Bad:

He fumbled

The Skins showed that they can't run over everyone.

He had ZERO targets in the passing game.

As a Jones owner, I'll take it. All I wanted was for him to get the majority of the carries. Anything else is gravy. He's still got the most potential of any RB pick-up's thus far this season outside of maybe Dion Lewis.

As a Skins fan, I agree that they should've used Morris a little more, and I'm surprised to see Jones in at the GL. But...it's not the first time Gruden has surprised me.

JuniorNB said:
LawFitz said:
Fat Nick said:
LawFitz said:
Banger said:
ponchsox said:
The people I see being benched for Jones astonishes me. Did Morris get hurt or something?
I agree. I think there's a good chance there will be a lot of disappointed MJ owners come Monday
Hard to imagine him not getting ~15 touches tonight. Giants have been stout against the run, but have given up a lot of stats to RB receptions. Sample is too small to cast judgment, but if the early trend holds, maybe we see Jones get 3-4 catches with some big gains to supplement his rushing stats.

Plus he has the gamebreaker potential to take one to the house at any point. So there is that.

Yes...I know this Washington team hopefully likes to run the ball A LOT more, but still...That's assuming basically 50% more carries than the best of the last 4 games, AND a 50/50 split with Morris, neither of which is a guarantee.
touches <> carries
This. Jones has great hands. The Skins know how explosive he is and will definitely be trying to get him the ball in space with screens. Think Priest Holmes.
Oops
Did he retire? He's played three games in his career. lol Read a scouting report. Or reviews from training camp. He does have great hands. Educate yourself, son.

Chris Thompson led Redskins RBs in yards, don't think anyone saw that coming.

Can anyone verify the snap counts yet?
Washington final HB snap count: Chris Thompson 39, Matt Jones 26, Alfred Morris 12
The success of Redskins RB's relies 100% on whether they're in games, or throwing from behind.
This. First two games, they were playing with a lead. That's when their running attack excelled. No different than any other team. This game got away from Washington with the early pick inside their own territory, and Cousins missing a wide open Reed twice in the end zone. If his play continues to be be horrible, look for low numbers from the backs. Except maybe Thompson in PPR.

JuniorNB said:
LawFitz said:
Fat Nick said:
LawFitz said:
Banger said:
ponchsox said:

touches <> carries
Oops
Did he retire? He's played three games in his career. lol Read a scouting report. Or reviews from training camp. He does have great hands. Educate yourself, son.
No you're right. I thought he looked great. I was expecting him to catch more passes though since the Skins know how explosive he is.

JuniorNB said:
LawFitz said:
Fat Nick said:
LawFitz said:
Banger said:
ponchsox said:

touches <> carries
Oops
No you're right. I thought he looked great. I was expecting him to catch more passes though since the Skins know how explosive he is.
Great Hands and explosiveness don't necessarily translate to catches. There were articles a year or so ago about how Alfred Morris actually had better hands than anyone thought. He could catch. The thing is, the gameplan for the Skins utilizes the slot guys, and the TE as the check-down way more than the RB's. It's more about the game plan than the RB in there.

I didn't like that they didn't throw to him this game but if you watched the game, he was in on multiple passing plays and held up great in pass pro. That is what we are looking for early in the season to help solidify his playing time. The catches will come and I can see him stealing touches from Thompson later this year in obvious passing situations.

I didn't like that they didn't throw to him this game but if you watched the game, he was in on multiple passing plays and held up great in pass pro. That is what we are looking for early in the season to help solidify his playing time. The catches will come and I can see him stealing touches from Thompson later this year in obvious passing situations.
YES! I forgot about pass protection. He looked really good blocking. I was surprised actually as Rookies often struggle with that.

YES! I forgot about pass protection. He looked really good blocking. I was surprised actually as Rookies often struggle with that.
I intentionally paid attention to this and he did seem to do well. He consistently picked up the correct blitzer and held up well in his blocks, squaring up and often gaining leverage.

If this continues I could envision Gruden giving him more passing down opportunities. Seems logical to me - if he and Thompson both bring pass pro and pass catching ability, scheme-wise wouldn't you want to keep Jones in so the defense at least has to guess if he will be rushing, blocking or running a route?

JuniorNB said:
Banger said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:

Agree. Cousins sucks, and it's going to totally affect Jones and Morris. WAS can actually run the ball really well, but it isn't going to matter since their D isn't that great and Cousins is good for 2 bad picks every game.

JuniorNB said:
Banger said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:

Agree. Cousins sucks, and it's going to totally affect Jones and Morris. WAS can actually run the ball really well, but it isn't going to matter since their D isn't that great and Cousins is good for 2 bad picks every game.
I think it's going to be hard for the Skins to replicate Week 2 again this season. I don't see them getting off to many early leads and once they're down all the opposing D has to do is pressure Cousins and he crumbles... that coupled with a full blown RBBC, I just don't really like any of the Skins RB's all that much.

This is part of the reason why I liked David Johnson over Jones as a pickup in redraft. The Cards are a much better team on a much better offense... but also Johnson has the pass catching aspect of his game where even if they're not going to be up, he'll have opportunities.

JuniorNB said:
Banger said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:

I think it's going to be hard for the Skins to replicate Week 2 again this season. I don't see them getting off to many early leads and once they're down all the opposing D has to do is pressure Cousins and he crumbles... that coupled with a full blown RBBC, I just don't really like any of the Skins RB's all that much.

This is part of the reason why I liked David Johnson over Jones as a pickup in redraft. The Cards are a much better team on a much better offense... but also Johnson has the pass catching aspect of his game where even if they're not going to be up, he'll have opportunities.
I wouldn't be surprised if both are in the top ten ranked backs next preseason. They both look great with the small sample size.

JuniorNB said:
Banger said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if both are in the top ten ranked backs next preseason. They both look great with the small sample size.
If you own Jones, hope to hell the Skins draft a new QB...

ETA: RG3 would be money for Jones... but I think Gruden is too stubborn at this point to admit he's wrong about Cousins.

Last night was atypical all around but I do wonder what it means that Jones, not Morris, was in on the 4th and 1 down in the Red zone.

I can't think of any other coach in the league that puts the rookie in over the vet in such a critical situation unless you just think the rookie is far superior.

Last night was atypical all around but I do wonder what it means that Jones, not Morris, was in on the 4th and 1 down in the Red zone.

I can't think of any other coach in the league that puts the rookie in over the vet in such a critical situation unless you just think the rookie is far superior.
the coaching staff in Washington has proven to be completely useless and moronic, at best.

So... I think the answer lies within.

Correct. On the plus side, I love that Jones looks to be the short yardage back. A one yard touchdown or two can save an otherwise bad day. And turn a real good day into an awesome, fantasy game winning day.

On the downside, I don't like that Jones was in as a blocker whenever they passed. And Thompson was the only back thrown to. The three receptions last week were nice. Guess we'll have to see how that plays out.

JuniorNB said:
Banger said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
This. Cousins missing Reed on those two touchdowns, plus throwing those picks, took Washington away from their strength, which is running the ball. If Cousins' play doesn't improve, it's going to severely hold back Jones' production. This was the first I've gotten to watch Jones play, besides highlights. I love the way he turns the corner so fast for a big man. It's a shame we didn't get to see the great hands they say he has. But I certainly can't argue with Gruden's choice to play Thompson when they got behind. He played great in that role.

10 days to prepare for the Eagles. Guarantee they look crisp and that running game is on point.

Alfred Morris - RB - Redskins

In a conference call Friday, Redskins coach Jay Gruden said Alfred Morris is still the "lead dog" at running back.

Since going off for 121 yards in a season-opening loss to Miami, Alf has totaled just 78 yards on 24 carries. Rookie Matt Jones was starting to gain steam but may have cost himself by fumbling against the Giants in Week 3. Gruden said the reason Morris only played 12 snaps Thursday was because the Redskins were behind and had to abandon the running game. Morris will have a chance to redeem himself next week against Philadelphia.

Source: Master Tesfatsion on Twitter Sep 25 - 4:53 PM

He can say what he wants but anyone with eyes can see that he's the difference maker. You can't put the ball on the floor though and he did it 2 weeks in a row on limited carries and nothing will put you in the dog house quicker. He'll be fine but it's going to take time.

Users who are viewing this thread