What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Matt Jones, Colts (1 Viewer)

The people I see being benched for Jones astonishes me. Did Morris get hurt or something?
I agree. I think there's a good chance there will be a lot of disappointed MJ owners come Monday
Hard to imagine him not getting ~15 touches tonight. Giants have been stout against the run, but have given up a lot of stats to RB receptions. Sample is too small to cast judgment, but if the early trend holds, maybe we see Jones get 3-4 catches with some big gains to supplement his rushing stats.

Plus he has the gamebreaker potential to take one to the house at any point. So there is that.
Honestly, I think it's hard to imagine him GETTING 15 touches tonight.

Last 4 Skins vs. Giants meetings

Skins 13 - Giants 24 --> 19 total RB carries

Skins 14 - Giants 45 --> 15 total RB carries

Skins 6 - Giants 20 --> 21 total RB carries

Skins 17 - Giants 24 --> 17 total RB carries

Yes...I know this Washington team hopefully likes to run the ball A LOT more, but still...That's assuming basically 50% more carries than the best of the last 4 games, AND a 50/50 split with Morris, neither of which is a guarantee.
touches <> carries

The people I see being benched for Jones astonishes me. Did Morris get hurt or something?
I agree. I think there's a good chance there will be a lot of disappointed MJ owners come Monday
Hard to imagine him not getting ~15 touches tonight. Giants have been stout against the run, but have given up a lot of stats to RB receptions. Sample is too small to cast judgment, but if the early trend holds, maybe we see Jones get 3-4 catches with some big gains to supplement his rushing stats.

Plus he has the gamebreaker potential to take one to the house at any point. So there is that.

Yes...I know this Washington team hopefully likes to run the ball A LOT more, but still...That's assuming basically 50% more carries than the best of the last 4 games, AND a 50/50 split with Morris, neither of which is a guarantee.
touches <> carries
This. Jones has great hands. The Skins know how explosive he is and will definitely be trying to get him the ball in space with screens. Think Priest Holmes.

I think WA likes Jones as a third down RB over Alf. So even a Giants blowout could mean touches for Jones.

With the Ivory injury I may have to play him tonight. I am worried about the game script though. I could see the Giants get up early and Cousins throw multiple picks.

BobbyLayne said:
Great points here. In PPR the pass catching skills make him palpable regardless of the split on the carries.
I know it's only 2 games but he's averaged 1.5 catches / game

BobbyLayne said:
Great points here. In PPR the pass catching skills make him palpable regardless of the split on the carries.
True, but he was barely part of the game plan in week one and had zero catches. Last week, they began implementing him and they got him three receptions. It's more about the trends and the way things are headed than it is the average per game. He's 'averaging' 12.5 carries per game. But he went from 6 to 19 in a week. So the 19 is more important than the 12.5 or certainly the 6.

JuniorNB said:
LawFitz said:
Fat Nick said:
LawFitz said:
Banger said:
ponchsox said:

touches <> carries
This. Jones has great hands. The Skins know how explosive he is and will definitely be trying to get him the ball in space with screens. Think Priest Holmes.
OK...Valid, but we're not talking a Tressman offense here. Washington doesn't throw to the RB a ton typically. If Jones gets 5 targets, I'd be surprised.

If someone asked whether I'd take the over/under on 20 total attempts to get him the ball (15 carries, 5 targets - not even catches, just targets), I'd take the under every time. As an owner, I'll be thrilled if he gets it...but I'm not expecting it.

BobbyLayne said:
True, but he was barely part of the game plan in week one and had zero catches. Last week, they began implementing him and they got him three receptions. It's more about the trends and the way things are headed than it is the average per game. He's 'averaging' 12.5 carries per game. But he went from 6 to 19 in a week. So the 19 is more important than the 12.5 or certainly the 6.
No doubt but game script and the size of the pie is a huge component and last week they had more RB touches than they did in any game last year. I don't doubt Jones's talent but he's not the starter yet and will need a good script to get a solid number of touches. If you're stuck I can definitely see starting him but there are some solid players people are starting him ahead of...it might work out but I tend to be more patient in a situation like this unless I'm forced into it.

JuniorNB said:
LawFitz said:
Fat Nick said:
LawFitz said:
Banger said:
ponchsox said:

touches <> carries
OK...Valid, but we're not talking a Tressman offense here. Washington doesn't throw to the RB a ton typically. If Jones gets 5 targets, I'd be surprised.

If someone asked whether I'd take the over/under on 20 total attempts to get him the ball (15 carries, 5 targets - not even catches, just targets), I'd take the under every time. As an owner, I'll be thrilled if he gets it...but I'm not expecting it.
Last week, he had 19 carries and 3 receptions. Or, 22 touches. I agree that the game may not play out in a way that he can replicate that. I believe I'd take the under if asked about 20 touches tonight, also. I'm hoping for 15 or more. Hopefully, a few inside the 5 yard line.

Jones is a huge uncertainty right now. Morris owners are hoping last week was a fluke. Jones owners are hoping week one was a fluke. None of us really know. He's in my lineup tonight so I'm probably trying to talk myself into the fact that he's a great play as much as I am anyone else. lol I'd love to be able to wait and see. Because of injuries, I don't have that luxury. So I'm hoping he's a s good as he looked last week. And as good as I've been hearing all through training camp.

If anyone is rolling him out tonight, who are you starting him over? I am leaning towards putting him in over his own teammate Morris, a gimpy Lamar Miller, and a Romo-less Joseph Randle.

Here is my attempt at a reasonable expectation for tonight's game:

It's clear that WA wants to use Alf a lot, so I do not expect Jones to take over unless Alf gets hurt. Last week could very well be Jones' best game this year, but I only need him to be my flex - so that's ok. I predict that WA will carve up the touches pretty evenly over the season. That said, Jones still has upside in a timeshare if WA is able to get him room to accelerate.

I predict 70 total yards and a TD tonight.

Last week, he had 19 carries and 3 receptions. Or, 22 touches. I agree that the game may not play out in a way that he can replicate that. I believe I'd take the under if asked about 20 touches tonight, also. I'm hoping for 15 or more. Hopefully, a few inside the 5 yard line.

Jones is a huge uncertainty right now. Morris owners are hoping last week was a fluke. Jones owners are hoping week one was a fluke. None of us really know. He's in my lineup tonight so I'm probably trying to talk myself into the fact that he's a great play as much as I am anyone else. lol I'd love to be able to wait and see. Because of injuries, I don't have that luxury. So I'm hoping he's a s good as he looked last week. And as good as I've been hearing all through training camp.
The bolded part is what might really make or break him. Morris is a great short-yardage back. If they continue to give Morris the GL carries, then that really diminishes Jones' upside. If Jones starts to get some of the GL work too, I'll be much much more comfortable.

The bolded part is what might really make or break him. Morris is a great short-yardage back. If they continue to give Morris the GL carries, then that really diminishes Jones' upside. If Jones starts to get some of the GL work too, I'll be much much more comfortable.
What did Washington do last week? Alternate series or were they switching them out during the same drive? Anyone know?

What did Washington do last week? Alternate series or were they switching them out during the same drive? Anyone know?
I went back and looked at the play by play (as I'm going against Alf tonight and hoping for a heavy dose of jones).

Seemed they alternated on the same series for the most part with Alf starting drives and Jones finishing them.

I didn't watch the game, but jones seemed to get more passes than Alf according to play by play.

If anyone is rolling him out tonight, who are you starting him over? I am leaning towards putting him in over his own teammate Morris, a gimpy Lamar Miller, and a Romo-less Joseph Randle.
I've got him in at the flex ahead of Starks, Blount, Mike Wallace and Stevie Johnson. I also have Lacy. I should probably just wait and see if there's a clear cut decision on Lacy, but I don't want to get left having to depend on Starks with Jones as an option. Part of me thinks the Skins would be crazy to deemphasize Jones after what he's shown. Another part of me is pretty sure I'm just chasing the points.

At least it'll give me a little extra interest in tonights game. :shrug:

I'm starting him. Granted, my team sucks bad so far, but talent is talent. If he is as good as everyone is saying, he is going to get lots of touches. Gruden will probably be on the hot seat if that team is not at least competitive this year in this terrible, terrible division.

Fat Nick said:
LawFitz said:
Banger said:
ponchsox said:

You're forgetting that Jones is the pass-catching back. And a very good one at that. I think we're all anticipating Washington to get into a hole against NYG. If that happens, MJ gets a lot more action. And even if it doesn't, MJ splits carries with Morris.

A lotta promise for a RB with so much explosive potential.

I've got him in at the flex ahead of Starks, Blount, Mike Wallace and Stevie Johnson. I also have Lacy. I should probably just wait and see if there's a clear cut decision on Lacy, but I don't want to get left having to depend on Starks with Jones as an option. Part of me thinks the Skins would be crazy to deemphasize Jones after what he's shown. Another part of me is pretty sure I'm just chasing the points.

Hmmmm... I have him benched and starting Stevie Johnson in the Flex. PPR and starting L. Bell and D. Lewis. Also benching Gore, Spiller, and David Johnson. Benching Watkins too.

Hmmmm... I have him benched and starting Stevie Johnson in the Flex. PPR and starting L. Bell and D. Lewis. Also benching Gore, Spiller, and David Johnson. Benching Watkins too.
The league I mention above is not PPR. Also, as a Charger fan, I see Johnson's utilization and I'm not sure he can keep up his current FF scoring pace. Then again, this week it looks like LaDarius Green will probably be out, so possibly more targets for Johnson. I hate FF - it's death to people who like to overanalyze things like I do.

ETA: And if you want to feel even better about your decision - last week I suggested Stompin Tom Connors should start C.J. Anderson instead of Dion Lewis. Thankfully for him he ignored my bad advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm considering starting him at flex in a league that greatly favors RBs in scoring. Still have 2 other RB slots for Lacy, Forsett, Hyde, and CJA, none of whom has been a world beater so far.

Lacy would be a no-brainer, but he's hurt AND plays on Monday. Anderson has also been nicked up, and doesn't play until Sunday night. Hyde didn't finish last week's game, either. Forsett's healthy but hasn't looked good (along with the rest of the Ravens).

At least Jones is healthy AND looked good when he was on the field.

This is my thinking as well. When things are so up in the air week to week, I gotta go with gut instinct and trust the eye test. My gut and eyes tell me Jones is the back to have in WAS right now. I'm rolling him out as my flex tonight.

Benching him for alfred morris and devonta freeman for my ppr league. I need to see one more week from him before I feel confident.

I toyed with playing him AND morris tonight, but freeman is THE man in ATL right now and will get more touches and Morris is still the starter and always solid.

Fat Nick said:
LawFitz said:
Banger said:
ponchsox said:

How many of those match ups had RG3 at QB?

I think the only way Jones doesn't get 10-15 touch are if he is hurt. If the Skins can play their game and keep the score close they will run first. If they go down big they will pass more and Jones is clearly the better back in that role.

I'm considering starting him at flex in a league that greatly favors RBs in scoring. Still have 2 other RB slots for Lacy, Forsett, Hyde, and CJA, none of whom has been a world beater so far.

Lacy would be a no-brainer, but he's hurt AND plays on Monday. Anderson has also been nicked up, and doesn't play until Sunday night. Hyde didn't finish last week's game, either. Forsett's healthy but hasn't looked good (along with the rest of the Ravens).

Since we a similar situation....

I am sitting Jones and going with Forsett and Hyde. I like Jones' potential but want to see how he is used this week. This week should provide a lot of answers for Jones.

Benching him for alfred morris and devonta freeman for my ppr league. I need to see one more week from him before I feel confident.

I toyed with playing him AND morris tonight, but freeman is THE man in ATL right now and will get more touches and Morris is still the starter and always solid.
Not to make this too complicated, but Dallas just destroyed Philly's run game, and Atlanta doesn't really have a strong O-line. Just sayin'.

Not to make this too complicated, but Dallas just destroyed Philly's run game, and Atlanta doesn't really have a strong O-line. Just sayin'.
you son of a...

Drops, penalties, interceptions, punt blocked, this Redskins team has hurt Jones' ability to put a game together. Not surprised, but thought they'd play better than this.

Users who are viewing this thread