What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would happen if I fought a featherweight boxer? (1 Viewer)

Your size is totally irrelevant. If it is an actual boxing match with actual boxing rules, any of those professionals (i stress professionals as in the GOOD fighters) will absolutely destroy you unless you have some legit skills in the ring.

Any thoughts to the contrary, please get your head examined.

In a street fight, totally different ballgame. Not saying you WOULD win, but it can certainly go either way. Remember, those boxers dont train to "fight". Anything on the ground (if it gets there) and their skills likely arent much better than a lot of people, and then there is the 100 pound (mostly muscle) difference.

A good featherweight MMA fighter whips you no matter the scenario.

Jeez, MMA today is like karate in the 1970s -- makes up for any and all size/age/experience discrepancies. Must have a ton of teenage MMA hotshots get their arzses handed to them in barrooms all across America.
Classic debate and happens everyday. The smaller hotshots who weren't athletic enough to play the big sports end up doing MMA. Most of them have the common sense not to mouth off to a guy that's a foot taller and 100 lbs on them. But some don't. I'll take the bigger guy anyday and be right more than I'll be wrong.

watching The First 48 over the weekend. some poor ******* trying to defend his cousin gets jumped on by a group of people.. he fights back... gets shot and killed.

one of the suspects gets interviewed. he tells the story of how the victim came out to break up the fight and "just started knocking (their) asses out.. one after another. boom! boom! boom!"  we're not talking about random citizens.. these guys were Bloods living in a housing project so... presuming here.. they'd had their fair share of fights and he was just laying them out like a cartoon fight.

turns out the guy was a semi-pro boxer. based solely on the pictures.. maybe in the 150 range. something like that. he was, apparently, smoking all comers to the point where someone fired warning shots in the air to make him stop and then just shot him when he wouldn't quit.

immediately thought of the awesomeness that was this thread

watching The First 48 over the weekend. some poor ******* trying to defend his cousin gets jumped on by a group of people.. he fights back... gets shot and killed.

one of the suspects gets interviewed. he tells the story of how the victim came out to break up the fight and "just started knocking (their) asses out.. one after another. boom! boom! boom!"  we're not talking about random citizens.. these guys were Bloods living in a housing project so... presuming here.. they'd had their fair share of fights and he was just laying them out like a cartoon fight.

turns out the guy was a semi-pro boxer. based solely on the pictures.. maybe in the 150 range. something like that. he was, apparently, smoking all comers to the point where someone fired warning shots in the air to make him stop and then just shot him when he wouldn't quit.

Sounds about right.

Most guys never think they could beat a pro b-ball player, a pro tennis player, a pro pool player, a pro whatever. Except, for some reason, they think they can beat a pro fighter. It's really weird.

Sounds about right.

Most guys never think they could beat a pro b-ball player, a pro tennis player, a pro pool player, a pro whatever. Except, for some reason, they think they can beat a pro fighter. It's really weird.
reminds me of the last house party i attended freshman year

my drunken buddy got in to a verbal altercation with some guy. they were roughly the same size give or take. other guy was a little taller but equally as lean.  by the time i got over to see wtf was going on people were pulling them apart.  they never threw punches but hats were turned backwards and tobacco was spat.

one of the other guy's friends and i part of the holding back/separating of people when he said to me in a worried/panicky voice "you have to get your friend out of here.. (his friend) is a gold gloves boxer. he lives for this ####. he's going to punch a hole right through your friend's head. seriously. just get him out of here before he gets killed."

:lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
many, many years ago I had the pleasure to work with a retired pro boxer who I believed fought at around 155, whatever division that is in. me having a curious nature i was always asking him to give me his best in the arm. he always used to tell me he liked me and he wouldn't do it. well, again my curiosity and persistent nature finally got to him and he obliged me. at the time I was around 240 pounds and probably outweighed him by 70 plus pounds. the amount of torque and force he was able to generate without your typical haymaker punch by average joe bar fighter was incredible. the amount of damage I'm sure he could have inflicted on me had he just put a 3 piece together....those guys are just at a complete other level...  

One of my older brother was an accomplished amateur boxer and fought in the Golden Gloves for a few years and faired well but never won the state title. Went into the Marines after high school and boxed a bit while in the service. When he got out his former trainer/manager wanted him to try taking a shot at boxing professionally. My brother had unbelievable skills but didn't have a jaw so his decision was easy.  One day we're sparring in the living room.  At the time he was about 6'2+ 185 and I was about 6'1 210.  So he's taller with a longer reach but I had about 25 lbs on him and was much stronger and more athletic. We're wearing heavy bags gloves and I think they were about 6oz.  We were going about 3/4 speed and he's just absolutely  toying with me with his jab and his defensive skills were so good I could barely hit him.  I eventually caught him with a right and I staggered him pretty good.  He steps back, shakes it off and the next thing I know I was failing back onto the couch and the room was spinning.  Within a split second it was jab, jab, right and it was so quick and so hard I didn't see it coming.  Game over. 

Anyone that thinks you can wipe out a top notch pro you better pray that you get them to the ground within a few seconds or sucker punch them.  The speed of their punches, the quickness to avoid your punches and the precision of where they land their punches is just silly. 

reminds me of the last house party i attended freshman year

my drunken buddy got in to a verbal altercation with some guy. they were roughly the same size give or take. other guy was a little taller but equally as lean.  by the time i got over to see wtf was going on people were pulling them apart.  they never threw punches but hats were turned backwards and tobacco was spat.

one of the other guy's friends and i part of the holding back/separating of people when he said to me in a worried/panicky voice "you have to get your friend out of here.. (his friend) is a gold gloves boxer. he lives for this ####. he's going to punch a hole right through your friend's head. seriously. just get him out of here before he gets killed."

One of my older brother was an accomplished amateur boxer and fought in the Golden Gloves for a few years and faired well but never won the state title. Went into the Marines after high school and boxed a bit while in the service. When he got out his former trainer/manager wanted him to try taking a shot at boxing professionally. My brother had unbelievable skills but didn't have a jaw so his decision was easy.  One day we're sparring in the living room.  At the time he was about 6'2+ 185 and I was about 6'1 210.  So he's taller with a longer reach but I had about 25 lbs on him and was much stronger and more athletic. We're wearing heavy bags gloves and I think they were about 6oz.  We were going about 3/4 speed and he's just absolutely  toying with me with his jab and his defensive skills were so good I could barely hit him.  I eventually caught him with a right and I staggered him pretty good.  He steps back, shakes it off and the next thing I know I was failing back onto the couch and the room was spinning.  Within a split second it was jab, jab, right and it was so quick and so hard I didn't see it coming.  Game over. 

Anyone that thinks you can wipe out a top notch pro you better pray that you get them to the ground within a few seconds or sucker punch them.  The speed of their punches, the quickness to avoid your punches and the precision of where they land their punches is just silly. 
You don't know Matuski.  He's a real badass

The one that was told along side this story with the unbelievable surveillance footage was crazy

I'm a badass like matsuki.  In just the last two years I've injured myself kicking a soccer ball, directing traffic in a parking lot and holding open a bathroom door.  I will wipe the floor with anyone of you people as long as I don't have to do anything from the above list.

I would never have been stupid enough to spar with your brother.  What were you thinking?

many, many years ago I had the pleasure to work with a retired pro boxer who I believed fought at around 155, whatever division that is in. me having a curious nature i was always asking him to give me his best in the arm. he always used to tell me he liked me and he wouldn't do it. well, again my curiosity and persistent nature finally got to him and he obliged me. at the time I was around 240 pounds and probably outweighed him by 70 plus pounds. the amount of torque and force he was able to generate without your typical haymaker punch by average joe bar fighter was incredible. the amount of damage I'm sure he could have inflicted on me had he just put a 3 piece together....those guys are just at a complete other level...  
We have been down this road.. people go straight to all their stories about people smaller than them, and this is about as small as they get.

At 155, your friend was a damned giant compared to this imaginary opponent.  Also doubt he was 5 feet tall.

Which brings us back around.. people brought Pacquiao (who himself is now a giant compared to the 5'6" 129lb self cited) into the thread because they quite literally couldn't find actual people this small.  As small as Pacquiao was, he was nowhere close to the height and even after cutting weight - still significantly above weight.

Walk around this week... the smallest adult male you see is probably nowhere close to the parameters set.  Start looking at middle school kids, and even then choose one of the runts.

Lastly, while everyone again tries to hop in the thread without reading it with the "you don't understand" stuff.. my dad boxed in college, black belt, hand to hand combat/submission training, etc.  I do get it, which is why it took a nearly non existent example for me to make the claim I made. 

Last edited by a moderator:
matuski said:
I would never have been stupid enough to spar with your brother.  What were you thinking?
He was teaching me how to use my hands and defend myself.  Being a pretty good all around athlete and stronger than him I wanted to see where I stood.  He knocked me out but I learned that any skilled fighter is extremely dangerous and its best to not to mouth off to strangers as you never know who you will run into.  He trained my younger brother who fought in the Golden Gloves as well so since I was between them in age I was used often as a lesser skilled but stronger opponent that they'd tee off on.

BTW one of the guys from my brothers gym was the New England Golden Gloves champ in the early 80's and boxed in the Box-off for the 84 Olympic team .  I believe the kid was a middle weight and lost to eventual medalist Virgil Hil.  I remember this kid telling me about the Summer he spent training at Lake Placid.  I guess he roomed with this man child that was only 16  or 17 that everyone was terrified of and no one wanted to fight him, kid by the name of Mike Tyson.

Just for reference here are some notable featherweights that won the U.S. National Golden Gloves

Late 1970s Bernard Taylor

1989 Oscar De La Hoya

1996 Floyd Mayweather

Most top notch pros can barely land a solid shot on Mayweather, any normal person would be lucky to graze Mayweather with a punch. 

At the height of my physical prowess, and arrogance also, I would have made the same claim as Matuski.  I was a rather large and unusually powerful and fit young man.  I also had some not inconsiderable training in Judo and I use to do a bit of boxing as well.  Additionally I was involved in wrestling in High School.  I would not have claimed I could win a boxing match against a quicker opponent, but a brawl, yeah I could see me having had that confidence, misplaced or not.  Now, well now I just hope for no physical conflict.  I much prefer a good nap.

It seems to me the prospect of defeating the proposed opponent lies in getting him into a clinch, negating his striking power and distance, at least in theory, something theoretically possible in the confined space of a boxing ring, I suppose, but when one postulates a brawl that space limitation goes out the window and that smaller, fit, lightning fast opponent may not be so easy to engage.  I'm guessing my younger arrogant self may have learned substantial respect, if not a decisive lesson, were I foolish enough to have engaged such a challenge.  Sure, with gloves on a featherweight may not have knockout power to someone like I once was, but in a brawl their bare fist would cut like a knife, jab after tearing jab.

Insane claim by any measure. I'm fairly arrogant and I'd kick some ###, but even in my prime, at 6'2, 225 with basically no fat and extreme strength, I would've gotten the #### kicked out of me by Manny, it wouldn't be close.

I'd imagine my tactic would be to get into a wrestling match and mount him or maybe go for a chokehold - I'd also imagine he breaks my jaw as soon as I go in to lock-up. 

I still get a kick out of the idiots on this board who vehemently argued Ronda Rousey would toss Mayweather around like a rag doll. I remember a Canadin poster arguing this claim heavily, I'd like him to double down on stupid.

Insane claim by any measure. I'm fairly arrogant and I'd kick some ###, but even in my prime, at 6'2, 225 with basically no fat and extreme strength, I would've gotten the #### kicked out of me by Manny, it wouldn't be close.

I'd imagine my tactic would be to get into a wrestling match and mount him or maybe go for a chokehold - I'd also imagine he breaks my jaw as soon as I go in to lock-up. 

I still get a kick out of the idiots on this board who vehemently argued Ronda Rousey would toss Mayweather around like a rag doll. I remember a Canadin poster arguing this claim heavily, I'd like him to double down on stupid.
In an open area Manny would dance around for a few minutes to tire his victim out while said victim swings wildly. Manny could work the body at will with kidney shots, after a minute or two if his victim is still standing he'd be pissed off that he'd finish you with a flurry, first staggering you then knocking you out.  I don't think people understand just how quick these guys are and just how good their defensive skills are.  The best comparison I can make is try cornering a hungry feral cat and mess with it and let me know if the cat doesn't scratch the crap out of you as that's the type of striking speed and precision one would see. 

Former super bantamweight Jeff Fenech is known to have easily knocked out Peter Tunks in bar fight, I can't track down his weight however he played in the forwards for the Canterbury Bulldogs in the Australian Ruby League and is not a small guy.

Years ago Australian boxer Shannan Taylor, at the time fighting at 10-7, was at a classy hotel having lunch with a friend. As they were leaving a member of the public stopped Taylor to shake hands and say hello. By the time he caught up with the friend he was outside being assaulted by 3 men.

Taylor tried to break up the fight and the men turned on him. He hit each of them once and the whole thing was over. Each of the men ended up in hospital and because he was a professional boxer Taylor was charged. The judge ruled that, since he only hit each guy once, Taylor had shown admirable restraint. He dismissed the charges.

A former Golden Gloves champion who killed a man in a bar fight six years ago will make his professional boxing debut Friday night. [SNIP] Cook got into a fight with Stephen Lake outside a LaPorte bar on May 20, 2001, and one good punch snapped Lake's neck, said attorney Kim DeWitt, who prosecuted the case.

Jack Dempsey beat the #### out of two muggers when he was in his 70s

Was at a crowded bar in Boston circa 1990 with my brother and one of our buddies who was a good street fighter in his day and would be the perfect subject for this thread.  I guess my buddy bumped shoulders with Marvin Hagler in the crowded bar and the two had a bit of a standoff. Of course I was stuck between the two potential combatants and probably would have been knocked out too. After starring at each other for a bit Hagler wiped his brow as if to say "I won't break a sweat with you" to my buddy  and moved along.  My brother and I decided it was best to leave said establishment before our buddy ended up in the ICU.  Funny thing is the rest of the night my buddy was telling me that he would have beat Hagler - some people are just delusional and need to learn the hard way.  My buddy was lucky that night.

Was at a crowded bar in Boston circa 1990 with my brother and one of our buddies who was a good street fighter in his day and would be the perfect subject for this thread.  I guess my buddy bumped shoulders with Marvin Hagler in the crowded bar and the two had a bit of a standoff. Of course I was stuck between the two potential combatants and probably would have been knocked out too. After starring at each other for a bit Hagler wiped his brow as if to say "I won't break a sweat with you" to my buddy  and moved along.  My brother and I decided it was best to leave said establishment before our buddy ended up in the ICU.  Funny thing is the rest of the night my buddy was telling me that he would have beat Hagler - some people are just delusional and need to learn the hard way.  My buddy was lucky that night.
:lmao: dear lord...this cant be real

matuski said:
We have been down this road.. people go straight to all their stories about people smaller than them, and this is about as small as they get.

At 155, your friend was a damned giant compared to this imaginary opponent.  Also doubt he was 5 feet tall.

Which brings us back around.. people brought Pacquiao (who himself is now a giant compared to the 5'6" 129lb self cited) into the thread because they quite literally couldn't find actual people this small.  As small as Pacquiao was, he was nowhere close to the height and even after cutting weight - still significantly above weight.

Walk around this week... the smallest adult male you see is probably nowhere close to the parameters set.  Start looking at middle school kids, and even then choose one of the runts.

Lastly, while everyone again tries to hop in the thread without reading it with the "you don't understand" stuff.. my dad boxed in college, black belt, hand to hand combat/submission training, etc.  I do get it, which is why it took a nearly non existent example for me to make the claim I made. 
very true matsuki. my friend was quite a bit larger than this scenario posted. the only other case I would make, and this is only going by my friend and not firsthanded knowledge. have a  friend who trained for a period of time in the same gym as raphael assuncao, who is listed around 5'4- 5'5 and fought at 135. my friend observed him regularly boxing with 205 ers and he was amazed to see him take shot after shot from these bigger men with apparently little concern. said a very unemotional businesslike reaction. said he would just walk these guys into a corner and drop them. now granted they did have the 16oz gloves on, but I imagine so did raphael.

He's ok now but in his day he epitomized the mindset of a decent local steet fighter thinking he's got a real shot of KO'ing a pro.  I never understood the mindset but there are plenty of them out there.  
well ive been boxing and training since i was 15 and im 51 now ...i fought amateur but never pro( im a self professed gym rat)...but ive sparred with pro`s ...and i can tell you that when you actually experience what pro level fighters can do ,you learn real fast what respect means...a man like Hagler is on a level people like us can even fathom 

well ive been boxing and training since i was 15 and im 51 now ...i fought amateur but never pro( im a self professed gym rat)...but ive sparred with pro`s ...and i can tell you that when you actually experience what pro level fighters can do ,you learn real fast what respect means...a man like Hagler is on a level people like us can even fathom 
My favorite fighter. I was at this fight.

I already stated Pacquaio is 130 lbs. You don't think he would knock you out with a shot to the chin? It makes it easier to discuss if you put a face on it instead of talking about 5'1" jockeys.If you're talking about a street fight - there isn't a 125 class in MMA, but there is a long list of guys 150 and under who would seriously damage the average untrained 225 lber. In any real gym, they will have sparred with the heavyweights on a regular basis. Kid Yamamoto is about 145 and would mess you up. Olympic level wrestling, heavy hands and a mean streak.
I would give myself good odds with the likes of Pacquiao. He is listed at 5'6" 126lbs, in the pictures I call serious BS on the 5'6" part - he BARELY clears the top ropes. IN A STREET FIGHT (as in I would not box with him).Once you get to 150lb range, I have made no claims about that.5'8"-5'11" 150lbs >>>>>>>>> 5'2"-5'6" 125lbs. No comparison.
So,  so many good posts in this thread.  Can't believe it's been 9 years.  

I've only been training three years (I'm 50) and I've sparred some pro MMA guys who I am sure a professional boxer would beat pretty easliy in a boxing match. It's really amazing how good some of these guys are, and until you see it, it's hard to believe.

Users who are viewing this thread