What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Astros: SI says 2017 is the year (1 Viewer)

This Astros lineup has the potential to be the worst offense in history.

Altuve may have to steal 3 bases every time he gets to 1b.

50 PAs is still a small sample but Jake Marisnick is showing across-the-board improvement in plate discipline and batted ball percentages. His BABIP isn't sustainable but he doesn't have to hit .300 to have value with his combination of power and speed. In real baseball, he has defensive value too; not only for his glove in CF but because he's able to push Rasmus and Springer to the corners.

I don't this is a mirage. Dare i say, sell some farm and lets make a run at it.
If the defensive miscues from Villar and Marwyn continue, we may see Correa called up pretty soon.

If he's ready and we can play 500 ball the rest of the year, we'll be sniffing the playoffs

And I cannot tell you wonderful these last too weeks have made me feel. I've been a fan since the COlt 45s and caught at least half their games on tv every season they've been available.

I don't see how this can possibly be real. But at the very least we are no longer the suckiest team in both leagues for three years plus.

It has been a very challenging time.

The Valbuena and Gattis pickups look huge if they can regularly line ball into the Crawford boxes. Both of Gattis's hrs were straight line drives to the first or second row close to 110 mph.

Seem focused on Cueto.

Wonder who they'll want in return?
Reds have a large quantity of "good" SP options in the pipeline. What they lack is any 1 big time arm. I think the Reds plan A would be straight up for Appel. However, they could also use hitting in the lower levels pretty badly. I think you guys still have enough of that to make a deal without touching anyone on the 25. If it goes down that path, the Reds could use multiple bodies.

Tigers are done, and I hate almost all the other AL teams.

Consider me officially on this bandwagon. :drive:
Is Ausmus really a bad manager? I hear some of the Tigers fanbase wants him fired. I always thought he would be a great manager, watching him play for years in Houston. Seemed like he was destined to be a smart baseball man when he retired.

Congratulations on getting Fiers and Gomez. As a Brewer fan I'll miss Gomez' childlike enthusiasm for the game. I have never seen a player enjoy playing baseball as much as him. He'll drive you crazy sometimes but he'll definitely help you. Good luck

Congratulations on getting Fiers and Gomez. As a Brewer fan I'll miss Gomez' childlike enthusiasm for the game. I have never seen a player enjoy playing baseball as much as him. He'll drive you crazy sometimes but he'll definitely help you. Good luck
This Astros fan hopes so. I think y'all got a future stud in Phillips. He's been a great hitter and has 5-tools, according to folks much more in tune with the minors. I didn't want to lose him, AJ Reed or Colin Moran. But I guess that's the price of doing business. Santana has big-bat potential if he can figure it out at the major league level. He's only 22 years old I think. Still very young. Good arm for a right fielder too. Just has to cut down on the strikeouts.

Any other insight on Fiers? I honest don't know much about him.

How's Gomez doing? Is he working out or you guys? I really really miss watching him in the lineup everyday. Just a big kid enjoying the game.

4 games up with 37 to go. Pitching drives this team. If it just keeps doing what they are doing, then we might have a playoff team for the first time in a decade. ?

Excellent 5 run 2 out in the 9th effort..need all the juice possible coming into Arlington this week. Even going 2-2 is positive for the Astros at this point.

That was a good game with a rough ending. The remaining Ranger games is the entire season, its very much playoff baseball IMO for these teams. One game playoff and burn your #1, or guaranteed series.

Won't get 90 wins in the regular season but (copying myself from another message board0

At the beginning of the year, i would have taken over .500 (81 wins0 as real progress. i will be disappointed in the result of not making the playoffs, but in context more than satisfied that the Astros have the core talent to be a legit contender for a while. Still should be a tough division for the next few years, but the Astros have a good next and high talent and what looks to line-up and organizational depth.

The hitting these guys are doing is really, really stepping up (fyi, tied with the Jays for most HRs?!?!).

The last couple weeks, I was resolving to my content with the huge strides made and a playoff miss or early out would still be great.

But if this battery all continues its ascending form and we have Altuve, SPringer, Correa, Gattis, Rasmus. Hell, even Carter and Marwyn are playing huge. Regular big games from Rasmus and Marisnick, Springer soon more Carlos manning possibly the best outfield defense in the league? Super solid MI and a slighly above pitching staff that knows how to earn wins without raw power.

Just seems to me that they may be peaking at exactly the right time and if they can stay at this level, I could see them make it to the series, or make a lot of post-season noise. Sure won't be easy, but I'm thinking for the forst time, they may actually have the talent to do it.

Or the season could be over by Tue.

I love hope.

The hitting these guys are doing is really, really stepping up (fyi, tied with the Jays for most HRs?!?!).

The last couple weeks, I was resolving to my content with the huge strides made and a playoff miss or early out would still be great.

But if this battery all continues its ascending form and we have Altuve, SPringer, Correa, Gattis, Rasmus. Hell, even Carter and Marwyn are playing huge. Regular big games from Rasmus and Marisnick, Springer soon more Carlos manning possibly the best outfield defense in the league? Super solid MI and a slighly above pitching staff that knows how to earn wins without raw power.

Just seems to me that they may be peaking at exactly the right time and if they can stay at this level, I could see them make it to the series, or make a lot of post-season noise. Sure won't be easy, but I'm thinking for the forst time, they may actually have the talent to do it.

I love hope.
My hope has been confirmed. The battery has been great, even without Correa contributing so far. If he can come alive, and I am believing he will do so soon, watch out. Starting to think we need to put Marwyn in over Valbuena. I think Marwyn may be a better hitter at this point and Valbuena is inferior defensively. How great wold it be if Rasmus could play 3rd? Gomez, Springer and Marisnick would be the best defensive outfield in baseball Of course its too late for that change now and I'm afraid Colby leaves us in the off-season. He shouldn't, as other clubs seem to hate him and he fits in well here.

What scares me the most is the bullpen. They're really sucking lately. Its hard to believe how much we're relying on Sipp and we're really lucky that Cain didn't nail Greggerson's hanging slider on the last pitch and send us to extra innings. What was arguably our best asset in the early season is now our greatest liability. Could our relievers please return to form? You're scaring me.

Last edited by a moderator:
cosjobs said:
The hitting these guys are doing is really, really

stepping up (fyi, tied with the Jays for most HRs?!?!).

The last couple weeks, I was resolving to my content with the huge strides made and a playoff

miss or early out would still be great.

But if this battery all continues its ascending form and we have Altuve, SPringer, Correa, Gattis,

Rasmus. Hell, even Carter and Marwyn are playing huge. Regular big games from Rasmus and Marisnick, Springer soon more Carlos manning possibly the best outfield defense in the

league? Super solid MI and a slighly above pitching staff that knows how to earn wins without raw power.

Just seems to me that they may be peaking at exactly the right time and if they can stay at this level, I could see them make it to the series, or

make a lot of post-season noise. Sure won't be easy, but I'm thinking for the forst time, they may actually have the talent to do it.

I love hope.
My hope has been confirmed. The battery has been great, even without Correa contributing so far. If he can come alive, and I am believing he will do so soon, watch out. Starting to think we need to put Marwyn in over Valbuena. I think

Marwyn may be a better hitter at this point and Valbuena is inferior defensively. How great wold it be if Rasmus could play 3rd? Gomez, Springer and Marisnick would be the best defensive

outfield in baseball Of course its too late for that change now and I'm afraid Colby leaves us in the off-season. He shouldn't, as other clubs seem to hate him and he fits in well here.

What scares me the most is the bullpen. They're really sucking lately. Its hard to believe how much

we're relying on Sipp and we're really lucky that Cain didn't nail Greggerson's hanging slider on the last pitch and send us to extra innings. What was arguably our best asset in the early season is now our greatest liability. Could our relievers

please return to form? You're scaring me.
Nostradamus

Getting Giles was huge. If had him last year, I doubt the KC series would have been lost. Pricetag was steep, but Appel is really looking busty, so now he won't be clogging up our talent pipeline to the minors.

I'd really like to see a couple more things in the offseason:

Pick up a no 3-4 innings eater or re-sign Kazmir

Bring in a CI with a decent OBP to keep the bag warm until AJ Reed or Collin Moran win a spot.

Maybe another SP/RP or two if there's any value. Maybe someone like Josh Johnson who might deal 6-8 quality starts before something breaks, or Tyler Clippard, Lincecum, Beachy, hell, even CLiff Lee. Some longshot we can get cheap. Either hit the lottery or cast them to the curb and bring up some more kids.

Really wish they'd have gotten some SP depth, but not too worried yet. Nice to see White doing so well. I wish AJ  could play 3rd and Gomez could play.

Astros have become one of my favorite MLB.tv teams to watch. That offense is so fun to watch, and Jose Altuve is a hero for short men everywhere. If AJ Reed is legit, that'll be the most exciting young infield south of Chicago (White can play 3rd, right?). 

Users who are viewing this thread