What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Astros: SI says 2017 is the year (2 Viewers)

It's an interesting deal. $10M is a lot of money for a 22 year old but isn't very much in the grand scheme of things for a major league club. I assume there's a weed clause in it.

Springer turned down a 7 year 22.5 million dollar contract, where the Astros essentially wanted to buy out all of his arbitration years before he had an at bat.

I'm not sure I'd give a 22 year old with a recurring history of pot/alochol issues a 5 year contract, but let's face it, in today's day and age, 10 million over 5 years isn't all that bad - Astros have made much, much worse contracts in recent memory (Kaz Matsui, 3 years 16.5 mil just jumps off the page).

pollardsvision said:
coolnerd said:
This has to be a joke. How stupid is the Houston front office?
Even if singleton is just another guy 2 million per for a starting 1st baseman for 5 years is pretty cheap.
I think it's a pretty brilliant contract, really.

If he's really good, they've got him locked up to the age of 30 on a cheap contract, and very little risk if he's bad.
I think the chances of him hitting are very slim. I guess I have a hard time looking at 10M as very little risk. :shrug:

pollardsvision said:
coolnerd said:
Even if singleton is just another guy 2 million per for a starting 1st baseman for 5 years is pretty cheap.

If he's really good, they've got him locked up to the age of 30 on a cheap contract, and very little risk if he's bad.
I think the chances of him hitting are very slim. I guess I have a hard time looking at 10M as very little risk. :shrug:
I think it a worse deal for singleton than the Astros...I mean a very meh Mitch moreland is making 2.6 million this year with two years of arbitration where his salary will go up no matter what.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/morelmi01.shtml

yeah, in terms of the sports world 10 million spread over 5 years probably like $1000 spread over 5 years for a normal family.

pollardsvision said:
coolnerd said:

Why?

Sure, he's not going to hit for 300, but he's not expected to.

30+ HR power is there though

oh, and he's only 22

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the ETA on Correa? Next summer maybe?
He s in high A and the Astros seemingly are moving on the slower side so I would put it as 2016 as a guess. He would be only 21 then.
The Astros seem to be as committed as anybody to locking in their prospects to long term deals. Correa and his agent were willing on draft day to sign for less than slot in order to be picked #1. So there may be a deal in 2015 that brings him up earlier.

pollardsvision said:
coolnerd said:

I think it a worse deal for singleton than the Astros...I mean a very meh Mitch moreland is making 2.6 million this year with two years of arbitration where his salary will go up no matter what.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/morelmi01.shtml

yeah, in terms of the sports world 10 million spread over 5 years probably like $1000 spread over 5 years for a normal family.
Look at a guy like Mark Reynolds, who seems like a good comp (and Singleton may have figured something out to keep the Ks lower).

He made $20.5 million in his first 6 years. And that's the past 6 years. In the next 6 years, it's probably worth like $25 million.

Adam Dunn made almost $29 million in his first 6 years and that was a decade ago. That is on the high side of Singleton's likely HR + RBI totals, but Singleton has a bit of speed too.

There's no doubt that there is some risk, but look at the backlash from the players' union. That says that this is probably a good calculated risk on Houston's part.

HR #1 for Singleton!
was about to post this...so glad to actually talk baseball in the Astros thread
It really is amazing what a winning streak, young hungry players and solid pitching can do for a ball club. Attendance is up lately, more media coverage and talk on the radio. Heck, I've made sure to have dinner ready by the 1st pitch! It's been quite a few years since I've felt that way. Don't wanna miss a moment of Springermania.

HR #1 for Singleton!
It really is amazing what a winning streak, young hungry players and solid pitching can do for a ball club. Attendance is up lately, more media coverage and talk on the radio. Heck, I've made sure to have dinner ready by the 1st pitch! It's been quite a few years since I've felt that way. Don't wanna miss a moment of Springermania.
And those uni's. Don't forget those.

HR #1 for Singleton!
And those uni's. Don't forget those.
Worth at least 5 wins right there

thanks for cross post, appreciate it, yea I didn't see this thread, anyways if anyone here has season tickets they are looking to dump some games, I am willing to buy some but want to pay extra for a memory point with each ticket to get acces to the on field batting practice tickets. No games in particular except I have already gotten the two games in September vs the Angels taken care of. Thanks!

Permission granted for you to start rooting for another team. What a joke.
already have the Rangers incestual relationship going on...with the rockets off -season and the Texans implosion in 2013...sports fandom is not really working too well for me at the moment.

coolnerd said:
So the Astros are showing the rest of the league how not run an organization...struggling Appel promoted

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/27/astros-players-upset-over-mark-appels-promotion-to-double-a-bullpen-session-in-houston/
How about the current players on the Astros thank the heavens that they have a major league gig. Play for almost any other organization and you are in Double-A. Shut up and play ball.

Luhnow is a smart cat. I don't agree with the way alot of things are handled, but he manipulates the system and the Astros are going to benefit long term. Baseball is a business, and they run it like a business. They have amassed quite a bit of young talent and stand to do so again in the draft next year.

They may be better off with the 2nd pick in next year's draft than they would with Aiken. Kid turned down $5M with a gimp UCL. See how he fares in the draft next time he's eligible. Teams may be publicly blasting the Astros for balking on Aiken, but privately many are likely agreeing with the move.

So the Astros are showing the rest of the league how not run an organization...struggling Appel promoted

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/27/astros-players-upset-over-mark-appels-promotion-to-double-a-bullpen-session-in-houston/
How about the current players on the Astros thank the heavens that they have a major league gig. Play for almost any other organization and you are in Double-A. Shut up and play ball.

Luhnow is a smart cat. I don't agree with the way alot of things are handled, but he manipulates the system and the Astros are going to benefit long term. Baseball is a business, and they run it like a business. They have amassed quite a bit of young talent and stand to do so again in the draft next year.

They may be better off with the 2nd pick in next year's draft than they would with Aiken. Kid turned down $5M with a gimp UCL. See how he fares in the draft next time he's eligible. Teams may be publicly blasting the Astros for balking on Aiken, but privately many are likely agreeing with the move.
Could not agree more. The current players upset with the promotion is ludicrous.

The Astros did make a trade...

in exchange for RHP Jarred Cosart, IF Enrique Hernandez and OF Austin Wates. Marisnick will report to the Major League club.

#Astros officially complete a 6-player trade with Miami. Houston receives OF Jake Marisnick, RHP Frances Martes, IF Colin Moran & Comp Pick

------------------------------

in exchange for RHP Jarred Cosart, IF Enrique Hernandez and OF Austin Wates. Marisnick will report to the Major League club.

#Astros officially complete a 6-player trade with Miami. Houston receives OF Jake Marisnick, RHP Frances Martes, IF Colin Moran & Comp Pick

no link for this, but the rumor floating around is that Cosart was one of the players complaining about Appel

no link for this, but the rumor floating around is that Cosart was one of the players complaining about Appel
If I had to bet, I would pick Cosart as one of the whiners. He's been scolded by the Astros in the past for calling Bieber a F@G on twitter I think. Plus I wanna say he was a real negative nancy and complained (on twitter) about not getting called up while he was in the minors. I don't have links but I wanna say that happened. I'm warming up on the trade. As long as the CF they got plays better than freakin Grossman and Hoes. Those guys are bonafide AAAA players. I'm anxious for that young 3Bman to climb through the farm system.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/01/bo-porter-fired-by-the-astros/

Bo Porter fired...apparently he did some version of "I would like more than a couple of good players" or "do you really want me to keep playing than bum".or "you sent down a guy who actually might have had something to him" i.e. disagreement over personnel.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2014/09/01/bo-porter-dave-trembley-fired-tom-lawless-named-new-astros-manager/#7576101=0

and at least what made it to the Houston Paper

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2014/08/29/bo-porter-jeff-luhnow-at-odds-source-says/#22102103=0&26288101=0

My 25 man prediction for the AL Astros 2015:

C - Jason Castro, Hank Conger

1B - Jon Singleton, Chris Carter (DH)

2B - Jose Altuve

SS - Jed Lowrie

3B - Luis Valbuena, Marwin Gonzales (UT)

LF - Evan Gattis, Alex Presley

CF - Colby Rasmus, Jake Marisnick

RF - George Springer

SP - Dallas Keuchel

SP - Collin McHugh

SP - Scott Feldman

SP - Brett Oberholtzer

SP - Brad Peacock/Samuel Deduno

RP - Luke Gregerson

RP - Pat Neshek

RP - Chad Qualls

RP - Tony Sipp

RP - Josh Fields

RP - Joe Thatcher

RP - Will Harris

Interesting news that Brady Aiken had TJ surgery. I guess all those people bashing the Astros for not signing him were wrong. Astros actually come out smelling like a rose with 2 picks in the top 5 in this June's draft. Pair that with the compensatory pick they got from the Marlins and the Astros have 4 picks in the top 46.

2B - Jose Altuve
RF - George Springer
3B - Luis Valbuena
DH - Evan Gattis
1B - Chris Carter
C - Jason Castro
SS - Jed Lowrie
LF - Colby Rasmus
CF - Jake Marisnick

Starting line up

2B - Jose Altuve

RF - George Springer

3B - Luis Valbuena

DH - Evan Gattis

1B - Chris Carter

C - Jason Castro

SS - Jed Lowrie

LF - Colby Rasmus

CF - Jake Marisnick

Starting line up
Ummm...you mean for yesterday?
I'm kind of curious what they'll do against LHP. Their lineup is heavily right handed to start with but they could platoon Castro, Valbuena and Rasmus. Hank Conger is a switch hitter but hasn't done much against lefties in his short career. Jonathan Villar could be a dirt cheap SB threat if he sees predictable playing time.

2B - Jose Altuve

RF - George Springer

3B - Luis Valbuena

DH - Evan Gattis

1B - Chris Carter

C - Jason Castro

SS - Jed Lowrie

LF - Colby Rasmus

CF - Jake Marisnick

Starting line up
Ummm...you mean for yesterday?
I'm kind of curious what they'll do against LHP. Their lineup is heavily right handed to start with but they could platoon Castro, Valbuena and Rasmus. Hank Conger is a switch hitter but hasn't done much against lefties in his short career. Jonathan Villar could be a dirt cheap SB threat if he sees predictable playing time.
vs LHP , they should switch up Lowrie/Valbuena. No chance they can hit Valbuena 3rd vs LHP, that would be insane.

Users who are viewing this thread