What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (8 Viewers)

Sammy3469 said:
Donovan's close to coming out of retirement for at least the rest of the year with the Galaxy
He wasnt retired he was just on sabbatical.... and I bet he believes he should be starting his first game back

Looks like the "we will pay you to take De Jong off our hands" drama was part of this Landon deal to come back.

Very odd but should at least be interesting.  Maybe some sort of super sub roll?  

I wonder what reporter is going to draw the short straw to ask JK if he would consider Landon for the national team again. :)
You laugh, but in a  4-3-3, tell me that Pulisic, Jozy, Landon with Sacha pulling the strings behind and Bradley and Jones at the base wouldn't be tasty*.  You could then use Wood as an impact sub at any of the three forward positions.

*  Assuming Landon has his legs.

Not really surprising about the transfer bans.  What is a bit surprising was Real's lack of signings this last window..  Atlético I think did a better job planning for this day and have stockpiled a bit of young talent, some of which is on loan right now (Vietto and Kranevitter at Sevilla, Jota and Óliver at Porto, Borré at Villarreal).  

I think that Atleti has a nice crop of young players that can step into the first team if needed like Correa (21), Saúl (21), Lucas Hernández (20), Giménez (23), Carrasco (23), and Partey (23).  All of those guys some some good minutes last year and I was impressed by every single one.

Both Gabi and especially Tiago are long in the tooth in the central midfield, so by the time this transfer ban passes, both may be phased out of the first team.  Gabi will be sorely missed.

Not really surprising about the transfer bans.  What is a bit surprising was Real's lack of signings this last window..  Atlético I think did a better job planning for this day and have stockpiled a bit of young talent, some of which is on loan right now (Vietto and Kranevitter at Sevilla, Jota and Óliver at Porto, Borré at Villarreal).  

I think that Atleti has a nice crop of young players that can step into the first team if needed like Correa (21), Saúl (21), Lucas Hernández (20), Giménez (23), Carrasco (23), and Partey (23).  All of those guys some some good minutes last year and I was impressed by every single one.

Both Gabi and especially Tiago are long in the tooth in the central midfield, so by the time this transfer ban passes, both may be phased out of the first team.  Gabi will be sorely missed.
Agreed.  Atletico did a good job and has a lot of talent ready.  Not sure why Real was so complacent this window.

from ESPN... link... comparing NFL to EPL teams

Manchester United would be -- the New England Patriots

Bournemouth would be -- the Houston Texans

Burnley would be -- the Philadelphia Eagles

Crystal Palace would be -- the Oakland Raiders

Everton would be -- the San Francisco 49ers

Arsenal would be -- the Cincinnati Bengals

Hull City would be -- the Cleveland Browns

Leicester City would be -- the Carolina Panthers

Liverpool would be -- the Dallas Cowboys

Middlesbrough would be -- the Jacksonville Jaguars

Chelsea would be -- the New York Giants

Southampton would be -- the Detroit Lions

Stoke City would be -- the Buffalo Bills

Sunderland would be -- the Chicago Bears

Swansea City would be -- the Green Bay Packers

Manchester City would be -- the Arizona Cardinals

Tottenham Hotspur would be -- the New York Jets

Watford would be -- the Tampa Bay Buccaneers

West Bromwich Albion would be -- the San Diego Chargers

West Ham United would be -- the Minnesota Vikings

example:

Ambition is the unifying theme for Bournemouth and Houston this season. Each has spent big in recent months to acquire a highly rated but unproven talent from a more storied rival. Bournemouth, playing in England's top division for the first time, hope former Liverpool winger Jordon Ibe can help them to extend their stay at this level. The Texans want ex-Broncos quarterback Brock Osweiler to lead them on their first Super Bowl run.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Where should Real have stockpiled?  I think Zidane likes the young players he has coming out of the system.  Guys like Varane and Isco struggle to get minutes.  They got Morata back (and still have Jese).  They're not in danger of having to sell their stars like Atleti.  They're just in a different situation.

I was joking earlier that Fox going all out putting MLS Cup on in prime time on the mother ship was going to end up with a horrendous match up.

The flip side though is just as likely.

With the Donovan news today, an LA vs NYC match up could be as good as they could hope for.

You get the Donovan story, you get the likely last match up of Gerrard v Lampard ever, you get the possibility of the last game ever for Gerrard, Pirlo and/or Lampard, you get the Dos Santos Mexican hook, you get the consummate pros of Keane and Villa to watch and of course the two biggest markets in the country.

from ESPN... link... comparing NFL to EPL teams

Manchester United would be -- the New England Patriots

:wall:

I hate the Patriots, but this does make sense.   :rant:

They've been the preeminent forces in their respective leagues over much of the past two decades. Although Sir Alex Ferguson retired three years ago, the comparison with Bill Belichick feels obvious, both of them brilliant and ruthless leaders who have defined their teams and sometimes courted controversy. Where the Patriots head coach was fined $500,000 for illegally filming opposing teams' defensive signals, the Manchester United manager acknowledged pressuring referees into giving his team more injury time in games when they needed a late goal.

They've been the preeminent forces in their respective leagues over much of the past two decades. Although Sir Alex Ferguson retired three years ago, the comparison with Bill Belichick feels obvious, both of them brilliant and ruthless leaders who have defined their teams and sometimes courted controversy. Where the Patriots head coach was fined $500,000 for illegally filming opposing teams' defensive signals, the Manchester United manager acknowledged pressuring referees into giving his team more injury time in games when they needed a late goal.
I still think of the them as the Yankee's and Cowboys, Pats will never be "America's Team" like the Cowboys and United have that kind of feel.

So, basically cheaters, then...

eta: no, I'm not a bitter Colts fan, & no, Man U didn't beat Roma 7-1 in UCL... :topcat:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread