What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cameron Meredith - WR - NE Patriots (1 Viewer)

He twisted the defenders ankles on that route.   He still looks good, just not getting volume. 

Last edited by a moderator:
TNF is a black hole. I bet if this game were on Sunday it would be shoot out at this point. If I wanted a zero at one of receiver spots I would have just rolled with Jordan Matthews against the Vikes.

TNF is a black hole. I bet if this game were on Sunday it would be shoot out at this point. If I wanted a zero at one of receiver spots I would have just rolled with Jordan Matthews against the Vikes.
I hate having players on TNF so much. And I have a ton going tonight.

Mason Crosby is my high scorer at the moment.

Sorry to jinx us all folks, totally my fault and luck this year...all bad
I spent nearly all my remaining FAAB on him this week and I'm already looking at the list of available WRs to see who I can dump him for next week. Looks like the party's over. You're not the only one who jinxed him. 

What really stinks is waiting an entire week and staring at those 2 stinking points before the next waivers run and I can be rid of this guy so I can find someone new to put on my roster. I don't blame Meredith for what happened tonight but with Hoyer gone and a matchup against the Vikings next week and Barkley now at QB I want no part of this. What an epic fail this was. 

Just bench him until after his bye and Cutler will hopefully bring some life back to him.  I know he had chemistry with Hoyer but dropping him before seeing what Cutler does with him would be foolish IMHO.

Well...that sucked.

Just couldn't have gone worse.  With Hoyer looking to be out awhile, at least, Meredith is a definite drop.

This trade just went down today. Talk about selling high. 

Mitchell, Malcolm NEP WRGillmore, Crockett BAL TEYear 2017 Round 1 Draft Pick 

for

Meredith, Cameron CHI WRFiedorowicz, C.J. HOU TE

What I'm really upset about is the fact I went into this year determined NOT to overspend early in the year in FAAB like I typically do on the flavor of the week guys so I'd have money later in the season when others didn't and I could use it to my advantage. So what do I do? I spent this week on Meredith and it promptly blows up in my face. So now I'm stuck with no FAAB flexibility again. The good news is I have a really strong team and Meredith was my WR4 so he was just a luxury add but should I need to use the Waiver Wire later on in the season I'll have no money to really spend because I went heavy on this guy this week after seeing the production, looking at his remaining schedule (especially this week's game against arguably the worst secondary in the NFL) and seeing the potential production he could bring behind my stud three WRs and getting giddy about what it could all add up to.

This is the lesson I didn't learn from past mistakes and I promptly repeated it again and I'm not happy with myself this morning. All week long I was reading stuff from people I respect talking about how it didn't make sense to hold onto FAAB money at this point in the season. In my gut I was strongly disagreeing with them due to mistakes I had made in the past. But instead of trusting my gut I listened to them and overpaid for Meredith and now I'm f'd.  

Not sure why you guys are so butthurt.  He lost his QB, and Barkley was horrible coming off the bench.  You were probably benching him next week vs Vikings, then he is on a bye.   Week 10 vs the Bucs Cutler should be back, and he could very likely go back to WR3 with upside again. 
Hoyer wasn't targeting him before he got hurt last night. There were some seriously bad vibes right from the outset of the game. It was if the Bears forgot how productive he had been the past two weeks. It really made no sense, especially given the matchup. 

As far as his potential with Cutler I'm not convinced there's a lot of upside. Cutler tends to lock onto Jeffery. White wasn't doing much of anything when Cutler was the starter. Here were his game logs with Cutler:

3-34-0

4-36-0

It wasn't until Hoyer came in that White's numbers went up. Then White got hurt and Meredith's numbers went up even more. Maybe Cutler will change his ways but I'd view Meredith more as a low-end WR4 with minimal upside with Cutler at QB than the high-end WR2 in PPR he was with Hoyer. His value has taken an enormous hit in my opinion.   

Not sure why you guys are so butthurt.  He lost his QB, and Barkley was horrible coming off the bench.  You were probably benching him next week vs Vikings, then he is on a bye.   Week 10 vs the Bucs Cutler should be back, and he could very likely go back to WR3 with upside again. 
Yes, he's a hold for me with no sure things on the wire.  Luckily i started him against the Alshon owner, so no harm no foul.  

a fantastic hold i keeper / dynasty

buy right now

He's shown what he can do - high catch rate, Big target, good speed and routes. Jeffrey is out of CHI next year more than likely and Meredith will be the #1 WR

IMO

Well, the fantasy gods giveth and the inept NFL coaches taketh away. This game looked wrong from the very beginning with hoyer suddenly locking on to one guy.   I'll never understand coaches sitting somewhere saying " well, that's working great and we are doing well.  Let's see if we can change that.". Any player can get hurt but you have to give players the best chance and put them in good game situations and have the backups ready.  

Well, the fantasy gods giveth and the inept NFL coaches taketh away. This game looked wrong from the very beginning with hoyer suddenly locking on to one guy.   I'll never understand coaches sitting somewhere saying " well, that's working great and we are doing well.  Let's see if we can change that.". Any player can get hurt but you have to give players the best chance and put them in good game situations and have the backups ready.  
As a football fan this is easily the thing that frustrates and baffles me the most. I will never understand why coaches refuse to do the things that make the most sense. You saw the quick WR screen play they ran for Meredith that gained nearly 25 yards. Yeah it was negated by penalty but why not run that play again, especially when Barkley was in the game. How easy of a play would that have been for a third-string QB to complete and then to get your red-hot WR back in the game? But right from the start of the game it was if the Bears were determined to take Meredith out of the game. The Packers had to be thrilled by that plan. It just made their job so much easier because there's no way their beleaguered secondary was going to be able to stop him if the Bears made any attempt at all to feature him like they had been doing the previous two games.  

Some of you guys are funny. Hoyer looked bad on a couple of series and got hurt. The offense was a a dumpster fire with Barkley. As if that was on Meredith.

I can see dropping him against Minn and the bye, but you'll probably be scrambling to pick him up again in a month.

With Barkley the QB, the clock has struck midnight and Meredith is once again a pumpkin.

As I mentioned when recommending people add Meredith, Hoyer has an overwheaing propensity towards looking to his right. Like Zoolander, he's not an ambiturner. Since Meredith plays primarily on the right, he got all of Hoyer's love.

Barkley looked for Jeffery & Zach Miller equally during last night's game, so I very much doubt you're going to see anything even vaguely resembling the ridiculously high targets for Meredith moving forward.

He was a PPR beast with 20 receptions over 2 games - and without Hoyer his numbers are going to drop precipitously.

If I had shares I'd hold for a week, just to see how Barkley performs given a full set of practices, but I wouldn't start Meredith next week and he certainly may be droppable. Losing Hoyer was a crushing blow to his value, no question. 

maybe not you

Because Cutler will only throw to Jeffrey. Not sure where this myth started, but the Bears haven't had a decent second option since they had Marshall & Jeffrey together. 
It's not that cutler will only throw to Jeffery - it's that Hoyer threw the vast majority of his passes to the right, which is where Meredith lines up.

No Hoyer = dramatically reduced value for Meridith. It's not complicated and it's not a myth.

the 9 and 11 receptions games for Meridith were 100% on Hoyer's arm. 

It's not that cutler will only throw to Jeffery - it's that Hoyer threw the vast majority of his passes to the right, which is where Meredith lines up.

No Hoyer = dramatically reduced value for Meridith. It's not complicated and it's not a myth.

the 9 and 11 receptions games for Meridith were 100% on Hoyer's arm. 
FWIW, in the first game this season (Cutlers only full game), 12 targets went to Royal/White, 6 to Jeffery, and 4 to Miller.  Cutlers 2nd game (3 full quarters):  7 targets for Royal/White, 3 for Jeffery, 3 for Miller.  If Cutler comes back, I think it's premature to say Meredith won't be involved...seems to be there are almost as many targets to the 2nd/3rd option as there are to Jeffery and Miller

FWIW, in the first game this season (Cutlers only full game), 12 targets went to Royal/White, 6 to Jeffery, and 4 to Miller.  Cutlers 2nd game (3 full quarters):  7 targets for Royal/White, 3 for Jeffery, 3 for Miller.  If Cutler comes back, I think it's premature to say Meredith won't be involved...seems to be there are almost as many targets to the 2nd/3rd option as there are to Jeffery and Miller
I didn't say he wouldn't be involved.

i said he wouldn't get 9 or 11 receptions.

...and that will greatly reduce his value.

I didn't say he wouldn't be involved.

i said he wouldn't get 9 or 11 receptions.

...and that will greatly reduce his value.
Well 12 targets went to the 2nd WR option in Cutlers first game, so yes, I think it's premature to say he wouldn't get 9 receptions with Cutler

Well 12 targets went to the 2nd WR option in Cutlers first game, so yes, I think it's premature to say he wouldn't get 9 receptions with Cutler
12 targets went to two receivers. I don't think you should combine targets for two players and say Meredith is definitely going to be getting those if Cutler's the QB. White was essentially a non-factor with Cutler as the No. 2 WR as I posted earlier. The production for No. 2 WR in this offense only spiked when Hoyer took over. I think there is legitimate reason to be concerned about Meredith's value moving forward.  

12 targets went to two receivers. I don't think you should combine targets for two players and say Meredith is definitely going to be getting those if Cutler's the QB. White was essentially a non-factor with Cutler as the No. 2 WR as I posted earlier. The production for No. 2 WR in this offense only spiked when Hoyer took over. I think there is legitimate reason to be concerned about Meredith's value moving forward.  
I combined them as the #2WR.  While I don't know if they were on the field at the same time or not, so I admit is was quick lazy analysis, the point was in his 29 attempts, 12 went to WR's not named Jeffery who got 6.  Everyone is making it seem like he doesn't use other receivers, and I think that's false.  And someone pointed out, he hasn't had a solid number 2 since Marshall...and Meredith sure passed the eye test to me in his 2 starts with Hoyer (before last night).  I still think he'll be used when Cutler comes back and he'll have value

I had Kevin White in one of my leagues and was all set to drop him before Cutler got hurt because he was worthless in this offense as the No. 2 WR despite his talent. Cutler just wouldn't involve him in the passing game. So in my league which has tight roster limits I'm cutting bait with Meredith next week. Obviously each league is different and every owner needs to decide on their own but as I've been saying I think Meredith has gone from a strong WR2 in PPR to a low-end WR4 and you can find guys like that easily on most Waiver Wires in pretty much any league on a weekly basis. It stinks because he was putting up crazy numbers the past two weeks and last night's matchup should have produced another ridiculous amount of production. Others can do what they need to do but I'm out next week. I just think the value he was putting up is over now. 

I combined them as the #2WR.  While I don't know if they were on the field at the same time or not, so I admit is was quick lazy analysis, the point was in his 29 attempts, 12 went to WR's not named Jeffery who got 6.  Everyone is making it seem like he doesn't use other receivers, and I think that's false.  And someone pointed out, he hasn't had a solid number 2 since Marshall...and Meredith sure passed the eye test to me in his 2 starts with Hoyer (before last night).  I still think he'll be used when Cutler comes back and he'll have value
Again: Hoyer all but ignored the left side of the field. 

Its a fact. Jeffery owners will tell you the same. 

He had a connection with Meredith - he threw to the right. 

Cutlet will soread then ball around - if anything it's Miller who will see a huge increase in targets because Cutler dumps off to the TE when he's not pouting or throwing Ints.

Not saying Meredith will have no receptions, in saying he's not going to have enough to be fantasy relevant. 

The OL still sucks, and it's not like Cutler was lighting the world on fire before he got hurt/demoted.

Wait a week to see for sure, but it seens likely that we've seen the high water mark on Meredith'a production.

As they say, that train has sailed. 

I had Kevin White in one of my leagues and was all set to drop him before Cutler got hurt because he was worthless in this offense as the No. 2 WR despite his talent. Cutler just wouldn't involve him in the passing game. So in my league which has tight roster limits I'm cutting bait with Meredith next week. Obviously each league is different and every owner needs to decide on their own but as I've been saying I think Meredith has gone from a strong WR2 in PPR to a low-end WR4 and you can find guys like that easily on most Waiver Wires in pretty much any league on a weekly basis. It stinks because he was putting up crazy numbers the past two weeks and last night's matchup should have produced another ridiculous amount of production. Others can do what they need to do but I'm out next week. I just think the value he was putting up is over now. 
This sounds pretty logical. Will probably do the same in my redraft league but hold in my dynasty league.

Never fails. Some guy I've never heard of has a couple of great games; all signs point to another great game; I pick him up and start him in prime time; he promptly turns back into a pumpkin. Rinse, lather, repeat.

I thought I noticed the Packers rolling coverage toward Meredith last night. They probably saw the same things we all saw with respect to the Hoyer/Meredith connection and were determined not to let it happen a third time. This is a lesson I seem never to learn. Meredith was never going to have the night most of us expected.

Users who are viewing this thread