What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 FBG Subscriber Contest (3 Viewers)

Kudos for rule changes that have folks thinking they have figured out a new answer to the yearly riddle.

I'm actually quite comfortable with the arguments posted for and against the Foxer strategy (versus the "don't talk about it" crowd) as the excel solver work I've done on optimizing the portion of the budget for starters across a range of starting budget assumptions indicates that it does not resolve to a single viable strategy on positional budget and is more a matter of positional spending that makes sense if you want to "build" based on Rodgers or Gurley or Brown or Gronk (simplified explanation using the highest price player at each position).  Further, the truth is impacted in a non-linear way by positional scarcity and position-specific value, so concepts like variance and injury effectively invalidate cookbook methods for positional budget composition.

My advice: pick a directional strategy and build off players that you can live with.  #platitudes #sayingalotbutnotreallysayinganything
this

-QG

Steeler said:
If you liked calcomatic.com last year wait until you see what's in store for this year!!!!  Just kidding, it's essentially the same. 

Rosters are supposed to lock on 9/5 and I'll try to have everything ready for the Eagles/Falcons game on 9/6!  If you donated last year thank you!  If you are planning to make a donation this year doing so now could provide additional motivation for me to have everything ready by the Eagles/Falcons kickoff :D :P  

A couple additional notes: 

1. The scoring has changed this year for the contest and I think I have everything setup correctly but things could be off this first week.  As always, calcomatic is not official.
  2. These 10 players will not score points in calcomatic until I am able to associated their "NFL ID" with their "Calcomatic ID" - I'll get this corrected as soon as they accumulate any stats during the regular season.  
1    C Williams    WR    ARI
2    T Ward    RB    ATL
3    N Boyle    TE    BAL
4    E St. Brown    WR    GB
5    K Coutee    WR    HOU
6    M Rivera    TE    JAX
7    B Bowman    TE    LAC
8    S Michel    RB    NE
9    A Darboh    WR    SEA
10    T Taylor    WR    SF
not finding my team ID in the url of the contest page

Stephen Holloway said:
or Gurley, Goff, Cooks, etc.?
I had Mahomes and Goff for a while. Still really like the duo but I'd be taking a huge risk or spending more on QB than I plan.

not finding my team ID in the url of the contest page
Entries are not available at this point - they will be loaded into the site after the rosters lock at FBG on 9/5 (probably at some point on 9/6).  Calcomatic.com is a live scoring site which shows the score of you contest entry in real time in relation to the current week's cut line.

So what do you guys think for the tight end spot for me?

Right now I have Burton, Doyle, Hooper, Goedert and Vannett.

I am considering going Burton, Doyle, Njoku, and Vannett    OR

Reed, Burton, Hooper, Vannett and taking the extra money and throwing it at another flier at receiver.

Okay so the Gurley week 12 has scared me a bit and put me a jumble that eventually led to rostering Trubitsky for 5 minutes.  That last part I have rethought.

-QG

Reed, Burton, Hooper, Vannett and taking the extra money and throwing it at another flier at receiver.
I'm going roll with Burton, Njoku, Goedert, and Vannett.  I was going to go with Gronk plus Goedert and Vannett (same price as the group in the first sentence) but I can't trust Gronk to stay healthy....and even if he did, he had several bad games last year.  Throw in that his bye week is 11...it's a pass on Gronk for me.  So to answer your question.......I hope you do well, because I have a very similar plan.

I'm going roll with Burton, Njoku, Goedert, and Vannett.  I was going to go with Gronk plus Goedert and Vannett (same price as the group in the first sentence) but I can't trust Gronk to stay healthy....and even if he did, he had several bad games last year.  Throw in that his bye week is 11...it's a pass on Gronk for me.  So to answer your question.......I hope you do well, because I have a very similar plan.
this is possibly the top combo everyone has. was what I had not long ago. now I only have 1 of those.

My advice would be to consider replacing your top 2 with an elite TE, say top 5.  I like Hooper as a TE2 or TE3.  I have one of the $3 TEs as my TE4 right now, but it makes me feel dirty.

Blowing up my roster on a daily basis now.  My current one is Jordan, Hooper, and Goedert, but I feel that is too weak overall.  After doing more research, I am fairly confident my final submission will have Burton (look the early bye) and Goedert (I'm all aboard the hype train).  At 1.5PPR, these guys can save you from the cut line in a given week, and I am now sure I will carry at least 4 (unless I don't).

Blowing up my roster on a daily basis now.  My current one is Jordan, Hooper, and Goedert, but I feel that is too weak overall.  After doing more research, I am fairly confident my final submission will have Burton (look the early bye) and Goedert (I'm all aboard the hype train).  At 1.5PPR, these guys can save you from the cut line in a given week, and I am now sure I will carry at least 4 (unless I don't).
I'm pretty sure everyone has Burton. hes my TE2 and I'm pretty stoked about that. I've considered dropping one of my top 2 as my 3 is a bargain and stands to see a lot of targets

Had Gurley and Gronk up until this week. But just couldn’t do it. No Burton for me - have 3 guys under $4 and really wanna roll with Reed but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I really liked Butt (Michigan fan) but haven’t liked what I’ve heard from camp. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I correct in guessing that there's no hope of having AP & Alfred Morris added to the game? Don't see either one of them. With the injuries to Guice & McKinnon, would have thought that they would have been on the RB list. 

Foxer2373 said:
However two huge factors this year are Passing TD’s are now 6 instead of 4 and RB catches are 0.5 instead of 1 

most elite backs were because of pass catching where 8 catches are now 4 points instead of 8

elite QB throw TD’s a week where Rodgers tossed 4 TD’s in a game is now 24 instead of 16 huge swings when I have only once been cut by more than 5 points. 

Now the bigger wrinkle RB and TE are the two biggest top loaded positions in terms of points... RB are now losing about 1/4 of their over all value and 1/3 vs TE’s 

ive reserved posting this because it is my strategy this year but I am personally going all in at QB and TE this year with the lowest $ spent of RB ever (not hard when I’ve taken 4 of the top 8 cost RB’s every year since I started. 

This may be mid guided and I’ll crash and burn week 5 when my combined QB score is over 80 but I can only count 30 but that’s my risk this year. 
Good stuff here

Am I correct in guessing that there's no hope of having AP & Alfred Morris added to the game? Don't see either one of them. With the injuries to Guice & McKinnon, would have thought that they would have been on the RB list. 
Any prior joking aside once the contest is open there are no additions to the pool.  This can be particularly fun when dealing with kickers.

-QG

You know you've been doing this too long when you spend way more time trying to figure out how to spend the last $15 than you did the first $235.  I've swapped out #9 WRs, #4 TEs, Ds and Ks for hours, even though I know it's probably not going to affect my scores by more than 2%.

You know you've been doing this too long when you spend way more time trying to figure out how to spend the last $15 than you did the first $235.  I've swapped out #9 WRs, #4 TEs, Ds and Ks for hours, even though I know it's probably not going to affect my scores by more than 2%.
$15? I’ve had similar issues with the last $5 hah

I give up.  My brain is toast.  Unless I hear about any injuries in the next day, here it is...

QB - Ben Roethlisberger - PIT/7 - $14
QB - Philip Rivers - LAC/8 - $13
QB - Eli Manning - NYG/9 - $7
RB - David Johnson - ARI/9 - $34
RB - Christian McCaffrey - CAR/4 - $26
RB - Royce Freeman - DEN/10 - $16
RB - Aaron Jones - GB/7 - $9
RB - Peyton Barber - TB/5 - $8
RB - James Conner - PIT/7 - $4
WR - Marquise Goodwin - SF/11 - $13
WR - Tyler Lockett - SEA/7 - $9
WR - Keelan Cole - JAX/9 - $7
WR - Ted Ginn - NO/6 - $6
WR - Michael Gallup - DAL/8 - $6
WR - Chris Godwin - TB/5 - $6
WR - John Brown - BAL/10 - $6
WR - John Ross - CIN/9 - $5
WR - Taywan Taylor - TEN/8 - $4
TE - Trey Burton - CHI/5 - $14
TE - Jared Cook - OAK/7 - $8
TE - Charles Clay - BUF/11 - $8
TE - Dallas Goedert - PHI/9 - $4
TE - Ryan Griffin - HOU/10 - $3
PK - Josh Lambo - JAX/9 - $3
PK - Caleb Sturgis - LAC/8 - $3
PK - Kaimi Fairbairn - HOU/10 - $2
TD - Chicago Bears - CHI/5 - $5
TD - Pittsburgh Steelers - PIT/7 - $5
TD - Cleveland Browns - CLE/11 - $2

I finally settled on my final roster.  I am going fairly light at TE and only five RBs, but I feel good about the team.

QB - Luck, Mahomes, Bortles

RB - Barkley, McCaffrey, Freeman, Hyde, Barber

WR - Hill, Diggs, Woods, Cole, Allison, Samuel, Patterson

TE - Burton, Njoku, Gates

Three cheap kickers and defenses

I finally settled on my final roster.  I am going fairly light at TE and only five RBs, but I feel good about the team.

QB - Luck, Mahomes, Bortles

RB - Barkley, McCaffrey, Freeman, Hyde, Barber

WR - Hill, Diggs, Woods, Cole, Allison, Samuel, Patterson

TE - Burton, Njoku, Gates

Three cheap kickers and defenses
Noticed a few bye conflicts, but I assume you already know and are fine with it - Luck/Bortles and Hill/Woods.  The Hill/Woods conflict scares me, as your WR corps is gonna be real thin, it'll be week 12, and you will have to use 2 of the scores from Diggs, Cole, Allison, Samuel, and Patterson.  Good luck

Noticed a few bye conflicts, but I assume you already know and are fine with it - Luck/Bortles and Hill/Woods.  The Hill/Woods conflict scares me, as your WR corps is gonna be real thin, it'll be week 12, and you will have to use 2 of the scores from Diggs, Cole, Allison, Samuel, and Patterson.  Good luck
That is definitely my biggest fear.  I tried a couple other options but didn't like the team.  I am very high on Samuel, Cole, and Allison though...so I'm hoping at least one of them breaks out.

I give up.  My brain is toast.  Unless I hear about any injuries in the next day, here it is...

QB - Ben Roethlisberger - PIT/7 - $14
QB - Philip Rivers - LAC/8 - $13
RB - David Johnson - ARI/9 - $34
RB - Aaron Jones - GB/7 - $9
RB - Peyton Barber - TB/5 - $8
RB - James Conner - PIT/7 - $4
WR - Tyler Lockett - SEA/7 - $9
WR - Ted Ginn - NO/6 - $6
WR - Chris Godwin - TB/5 - $6
WR - John Brown - BAL/10 - $6
WR - Taywan Taylor - TEN/8 - $4
TE - Trey Burton - CHI/5 - $14
TE - Jared Cook - OAK/7 - $8
TE - Charles Clay - BUF/11 - $8
TE - Dallas Goedert - PHI/9 - $4
TE - Ryan Griffin - HOU/10 - $3
PK - Caleb Sturgis - LAC/8 - $3
PK - Kaimi Fairbairn - HOU/10 - $2
TD - Pittsburgh Steelers - PIT/7 - $5
I’m pulling for ya. Cuz our rosters are eerily similar! ETA: Nm not as similar as I thought. Was a lot closer till I made my final cuts last night.

QB - Jared Goff - 11
QB - Jameis Winston - 10
QB - Blake Bortles - 8
QB - Eli Manning - 7
RB - Jordan Howard - 25
RB - Alex Collins - 21
RB - Mark Ingram - 20
RB - Aaron Jones - 9
RB - James Conner - 4
WR - Tyreek Hill - 23
WR - Marquise Goodwin - 13
WR - Kenny Stills - 11
WR - Keelan Cole - 7
WR - Chris Godwin - 6
WR - John Brown - 6
WR - Geronimo Allison - 6
WR - John Ross - 5
WR - Donte Moncrief - 5
TE - Jordan Reed - 16
TE - Mike Gesicki - 6
TE - Dallas Goedert - 4
TE - Nick Vannett - 3
TE - Ryan Griffin - 3
PK - Harrison Butker - 4
PK - Caleb Sturgis - 3
PK - Dustin Hopkins - 3
TD - Chicago Bears - 5
TD - Arizona Cardinals - 4
TD - Cleveland Browns - 2

I’m pulling for ya. Cuz our rosters are eerily similar!

QB - Jared Goff - 11
QB - Jameis Winston - 10
QB - Blake Bortles - 8
QB - Eli Manning - 7
RB - Jordan Howard - 25
RB - Alex Collins - 21
RB - Mark Ingram - 20
RB - Aaron Jones - 9
RB - James Conner - 4

WR - Tyreek Hill - 23
WR - Kenny Stills - 11
WR - Keelan Cole - 7
WR - Chris Godwin - 6
WR - John Brown - 6

WR - John Ross - 5
WR - Donte Moncrief - 5
TE - Jordan Reed - 16
TE - Mike Gesicki - 6
TE - Dallas Goedert - 4
TE - Nick Vannett - 3
TE - Ryan Griffin - 3
PK - Harrison Butker - 4
PK - Caleb Sturgis - 3
PK - Dustin Hopkins - 3
TD - Chicago Bears - 5
I think Jordan Reed is gonna be a top tier TE this year, but didn't have the nads to roster him.  I'll be pulling for all the bolded players.  FYI - have you considered your 2 starting RB's for week 5?  Howard is off, Ingram can play, but it will be his first game back, and Collins will be fine,  What scares me is I dunno if Aaron Jones is gonna be such a stud this early in the year, and if Bell comes back within the first 2 weeks, you may not get much from Conner.  Good thing it's only week 5, as the cutoff's should still be relatively low.  Good luck

I think Jordan Reed is gonna be a top tier TE this year, but didn't have the nads to roster him.  I'll be pulling for all the bolded players.  FYI - have you considered your 2 starting RB's for week 5?  Howard is off, Ingram can play, but it will be his first game back, and Collins will be fine,  What scares me is I dunno if Aaron Jones is gonna be such a stud this early in the year, and if Bell comes back within the first 2 weeks, you may not get much from Conner.  Good thing it's only week 5, as the cutoff's should still be relatively low.  Good luck
That was my exact thinking - that it’s early enough in the year it should be ok. Thanks pal, good luck to you too. It’s not Wednesday yet so still the possibility of change  :yucky:

ETA: Yup changed it already. Swapped Collins for R Freeman. I wanted them both but they’re both week 10 so went with the cheaper option. I think they have similar outputs now that Denver has named him the starter. No looking back now. Huge value at $16 imo. Also swapped Howard and Fournette. 

Jones I like for later in the year. GB backfield scares me because Williams could potentially lock it up and not let go. I could still see switching that around. I really like Carson and Barber too but have to consider end of the year when it really matters - will Penny have taken over and will TB give RoJo a shot to at least see what they have with him? I have Barber on several teams but don’t like him as much in this setting.

Also swapped Bortles for Mahomes. Going for QB’s that aren’t necessarily consistent but can toss up 3 TD’s any given week. I may put Bortles back in eventually - simply for the fact he has a great playoff schedule. 

I’m pulling for ya. Cuz our rosters are eerily similar! ETA: Nm not as similar as I thought. Was a lot closer till I made my final cuts last night.

QB - Jared Goff - 11
QB - Jameis Winston - 10
QB - Blake Bortles - 8
QB - Eli Manning - 7
RB - Jordan Howard - 25
RB - Alex Collins - 21
RB - Mark Ingram - 20
RB - Aaron Jones - 9
RB - James Conner - 4
WR - Tyreek Hill - 23
WR - Kenny Stills - 11
WR - Keelan Cole - 7
WR - Chris Godwin - 6
WR - John Brown - 6
WR - John Ross - 5
WR - Donte Moncrief - 5
TE - Jordan Reed - 16
TE - Mike Gesicki - 6
TE - Dallas Goedert - 4
TE - Nick Vannett - 3
TE - Ryan Griffin - 3
PK - Harrison Butker - 4
PK - Caleb Sturgis - 3
PK - Dustin Hopkins - 3
TD - Chicago Bears - 5
Just one mans opinion, but I’m not really a fan of this team at all 

Just one mans opinion, but I’m not really a fan of this team at all 
Fair enough! Any specific reason?

ETA: Last time. I swear (read: hope)!

QB - Philip Rivers - 13
QB - Patrick Mahomes II - 11
QB - Jameis Winston - 10
QB - Eli Manning - 7
RB - Christian McCaffrey - 26
RB - Jordan Howard - 25
RB - Royce Freeman - 16
RB - Aaron Jones - 9
RB - James Conner - 4
WR - Kenny Stills - 11
WR - Tyler Lockett - 9
WR - Keelan Cole - 7
WR - Chris Godwin - 6
WR - John Brown - 6
WR - John Ross - 5
TE - Travis Kelce - 25
TE - Ricky Seals-Jones - 7
TE - Mike Gesicki - 6
TE - Dallas Goedert - 4
TE - Nick Vannett - 3
PK - Harrison Butker - 4
PK - Josh Lambo - 3
PK - Caleb Sturgis - 3
TD - Chicago Bears - 5

Love McCaffrey this year - just not sure how the 0.5ppr will effect him. Hate the week 12 bye with Kelce but wanted someone I can count on. 

Any live scoring options this year?  Haven't read the thread and did not see any links in the OP.  Thanks in advance.  

Elevencents said:

ETA: Last time. I swear (read: hope)!

QB - Philip Rivers - 13
QB - Patrick Mahomes II - 11
QB - Jameis Winston - 10
QB - Eli Manning - 7
RB - Christian McCaffrey - 26
RB - Jordan Howard - 25
RB - Royce Freeman - 16
RB - Aaron Jones - 9
RB - James Conner - 4
WR - Kenny Stills - 11
WR - Tyler Lockett - 9
WR - Keelan Cole - 7
WR - Chris Godwin - 6
WR - John Brown - 6
WR - John Ross - 5
TE - Travis Kelce - 25
TE - Ricky Seals-Jones - 7
TE - Mike Gesicki - 6
TE - Dallas Goedert - 4
TE - Nick Vannett - 3
PK - Harrison Butker - 4
PK - Josh Lambo - 3
PK - Caleb Sturgis - 3
TD - Chicago Bears - 5

Love McCaffrey this year - just not sure how the 0.5ppr will effect him. Hate the week 12 bye with Kelce but wanted someone I can count on. 
Hate your QBs. liked your first ones. I figure you're over paying for Rivers because I think Goff and Winston can throw just as many TDs as Rivers. 

I like your RBs. I may consider a change for my own 

WRs have good value. 

I dont like going with 2 rookie TEs. I dont have any of yours. I like RSJ. 

Rest looks good. 

Elevencents said:
I have 3 of your players, 2 of them are Cleveland and Conner.  So pending this week (Bell reporting?) I like your team so much I took <10% of it.

If you liked calcomatic.com last year wait until you see what's in store for this year!!!!  If you are planning to make a donation this year doing so now could provide additional motivation for me to have everything ready by the Eagles/Falcons kickoff :D :P  
Done and thank you again for doing this,. 

Hate your QBs. liked your first ones. I figure you're over paying for Rivers because I think Goff and Winston can throw just as many TDs as Rivers. 
The way I approach QB is, if you look at past seasons generally each will have a few games where they simply get red hot and throw for 3+ TDs. I think Winston, Rivers and Manning are prime examples of that. Hopefully Mahomes can be too. 

just about to crash out, here is my probable final entry

QB - Patrick Mahomes II - KC/12 - $11
QB - Mitchell Trubisky - CHI/5 - $7

RB - Leonard Fournette - JAX/9 - $29
RB - Corey Clement - PHI/9 - $10
RB - James White - NE/11 - $9

WR - Keenan Allen - LAC/8 - $30
WR - Nelson Agholor - PHI/9 - $13
WR - Kenny Stills - MIA/11 - $11

TE - David Njoku - CLE/11 - $12
TE - Tyler Eifert - CIN/9 - $9
TE - Austin Hooper - ATL/8 - $8
TE - Nick Vannett - SEA/7 - $3

PK - Dustin Hopkins - WAS/4 - $3

PK - Sebastian Janikowski - SEA/7 - $3

TD - Indianapolis Colts - IND/9 - $2

One more day to figure this out. My biggest internal debates

Andrew Luck, Mahomes or Goff as my QB1?  

Drake or Collins? 

Tyreek Hill, TY Hilton, diggs or Marvin Jones as WR1 along with 6 cheaper guys

Njoku and Hooper/RSJ or Jimmy Graham? 

:oldunsure:

The way I approach QB is, if you look at past seasons generally each will have a few games where they simply get red hot and throw for 3+ TDs. I think Winston, Rivers and Manning are prime examples of that. Hopefully Mahomes can be too. 
I agree, I just think you can get the same production for less money. I understand the strategy. I'm the same. 

just about to crash out, here is my probable final entry

QB - Patrick Mahomes II - KC/12 - $11
QB - Mitchell Trubisky - CHI/5 - $7

RB - Leonard Fournette - JAX/9 - $29
RB - Corey Clement - PHI/9 - $10
RB - James White - NE/11 - $9

WR - Keenan Allen - LAC/8 - $30
WR - Nelson Agholor - PHI/9 - $13
WR - Kenny Stills - MIA/11 - $11

TE - David Njoku - CLE/11 - $12
TE - Tyler Eifert - CIN/9 - $9
TE - Austin Hooper - ATL/8 - $8
TE - Nick Vannett - SEA/7 - $3

PK - Dustin Hopkins - WAS/4 - $3

PK - Sebastian Janikowski - SEA/7 - $3

TD - Indianapolis Colts - IND/9 - $2
Unless the league ends on week 8 this year, I would re look at this. 

One more day to figure this out. My biggest internal debates

Andrew Luck, Mahomes or Goff as my QB1?  

Drake or Collins? 

Tyreek Hill, TY Hilton, diggs or Marvin Jones as WR1 along with 6 cheaper guys

Njoku and Hooper/RSJ or Jimmy Graham? 

:oldunsure:
Luck if you want 350 points, Goff or Mahomes if you want 300 points.

Collins

Hilton (to pair with Luck) or Hill or Diggs (higher variance).  Take one WR from Detroit (hint: not Tate and not Jones).

Graham and RSJ.

You can make a strong argument to carry 3 or even 4 QBs this year with the pricing. The Jets team QB only costs $6. 

Users who are viewing this thread