What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (1 Viewer)

The thing you don't think could happen happened a few months ago with the exact same team I proposed as a potential trade partner.

San Francisco traded for QB Jimmy Garroppolo who was playing under the franchise tag and they extended him to a long-term contract this February and made him the highest paid QB in the league only a few months ago.

You said it is unlikely but it just happened a few months ago with the exact same team and it worked out pretty good for them so I disagree with your logic.
Apples to Oranges.  Garrapolo didn't make demands in NE about preserving himself so he could get a bigger contract the following year, etc.  Not the same thing as Bell.  I just don't see it as a win/win/win.  It would be good for the Steelers so I hope they get a first for Bell.  But I don't see how it makes sense for the 49ers given Bell's demands about his usage this year.  Why would Bell play for the 49ers if he won't play for the Steelers?  Would the Niners agree to limit his touches this year?  No, so why would Bell play for them if he feels underpaid?

Aaron Sopchak‏ @AaronSopchak 25m25 minutes ago

This thread is for all the people upset that @LeVeonBell hasn’t reported to the team yet.

Although I’m sure it is frustrating that your fantasy team could be short it’s best player, you’ve gotta think about it from his perspective. This is a defining moment in his career.

Saquon Barkley has yet to play an NFL snap and his team guaranteed him $31,194,751.

Through 44 games Todd Gurley has averaged 17.9 carries - 74.9 yards - 2.9 receptions - 29.6 receiving yards His team decided to give him 45,000,000 guaranteed.

In 62 games Bell has averaged 19.8 carries - 86 yards - 5 receptions - 42.9 receiving yards

Despite having such a large role, he hasn’t been able to secure a long term deal. For those citing health he hasn’t had a major injury since 2015. Even after 406 touches in 2017.

Yes, Bell has had suspensions in the past. But that hasn’t stopped the Steelers from wanting him on the roster. One would think if they were that concerned about his off the field issues that they would have let him leave already.

Lastly, there are those who cite his age as a risk factor. But that’s actually a good argument for why he wants to be paid now. For every season he plays under a franchise tag, he gets another year older. And age definitely decreases the market value for running backs.

In fact, every 400 touch season he plays probably lowers his market value. If Bell were to go out and have another major injury playing for the Steelers this year, it would lower his value. So although for fans it may be frustrating, you’ve gotta view it from his perspective.

Yes, if he sits out until the middle of the season he will lose money. But not as much as he would lose on his next contract if he gets hurt this season. This is strictly a business move. If it were you, would you take that risk with your own finances?

To me, this situation speak more to the fact that the NFL franchise tag system is unfair. If the team tags a player for one season and fails to reach a long term deal following that season they should not be allowed to tag that player again. You either want them, or you don’t.

The contract Le’Veon Bell is trying to get will set up his family for life. And I don’t blame him for trying to make sure that he takes full advantage of his opportunity to get paid. NFL careers are short, you’ve gotta get what you can, when you can. Get that money @LeVeonBell

https://twitter.com/AaronSopchak/status/1037717875694489600

Lets hope for a more fair CBA that protects the players health and gives them a higher % of revenue. I don't want to see 200 million dollars contracts but I want to see all players compensated better. We can find a better middle ground. 
Hey, this guy's a commie!!!

Aaron Sopchak‏ @AaronSopchak 25m25 minutes ago

The contract Le’Veon Bell is trying to get will set up his family for life. And I don’t blame him for trying to make sure that he takes full advantage of his opportunity to get paid. NFL careers are short, you’ve gotta get what you can, when you can. Get that money @LeVeonBell

https://twitter.com/AaronSopchak/status/1037717875694489600
Sorry, Aaron, nearly everyone reading this will say "Playing last year for $12 million and this year for $14.5 million should be enough to set up his family for life."

Saquon Barkley has yet to play an NFL snap and his team guaranteed him $31,194,751.

Through 44 games Todd Gurley has averaged 17.9 carries - 74.9 yards - 2.9 receptions - 29.6 receiving yards His team decided to give him 45,000,000 guaranteed.

In 62 games Bell has averaged 19.8 carries - 86 yards - 5 receptions - 42.9 receiving yards
Gurley was stuck with Jeff Fisher, it's woefully inaccurate to use the numbers from that coaching regime and compare it to Bell who's had the same coach his whole career. Using just 1 year's worth of stats also isn't great, but Gurley averaged 18.6 carries, 87 yards, 4.3 rec, 52.5 receiving yards last year. So more rushing yards on less carries and more receiving yards on less receptions with worse talent around him.

Also, Saquon was drafted at #2 overall and is on a rookie contract that follows the rookie pay scale, comparing that to a free agent contract is dumb. 

True, but they view Conner as being at least equal to what Deangelo was, mainly because Conner has improved as a blocker and pass catcher this offseason. People that don't view Conner as the new bellcow are underestimating how much the Steelers like him. 

Jaylen Samuels could be used on 3rd downs in obvious passing situations, but Conner should get 65%+ of the work, which is standard for an RB1. 
He might be the new bellcow but that doesn't instantly lead to him actually producing.   He's a third round running back that most everyone said got drafted 2-3 rounds too early, he had 30 sum carries last season and he managed to get hurt with those carries. I would not be surprised if the steelers bring someone else in if this is going to week ten like it may.

Instead of the lineman whining and crying about bell maybe they should be propping this guy up instead if the steelers and them like him so much.

He might be the new bellcow but that doesn't instantly lead to him actually producing.   He's a third round running back that most everyone said got drafted 2-3 rounds too early, he had 30 sum carries last season and he managed to get hurt with those carries. I would not be surprised if the steelers bring someone else in if this is going to week ten like it may.

Instead of the lineman whining and crying about bell maybe they should be propping this guy up instead if the steelers and them like him so much.
You mean like this?

Maurkice Pouncey also issued this reminder: "A star is born every year in the NFL. Did anyone know Kareem Hunt would be an All-Pro before last season? If James Conner didn't have cancer, he'd have been a first round pick. Just watch him." 
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/06/maurkice-pouncey-offers-strong-words-in-support-of-james-conner/

or this?

“He runs the ball hard”, spot starter B.J. Finney, entering his fourth year (third on the 53-man roster) with the team, told the Steelers’ website about Conner. “He finds the hole, hits it and doesn’t think twice about it. It’s really nice. When you have a back like that you get a quick fit. You make sure you are in front of your guy. He hits the hole and he is gone. It’s nice”.
https://steelersdepot.com/2018/08/steelers-linemen-appreciating-james-conners-aggressive-run-style-as-change-of-pace/

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, Aaron, nearly everyone reading this will say "Playing last year for $12 million and this year for $14.5 million should be enough to set up his family for life."
He should have left that line out about setting up his family because as you point out, there are fans that won't sympathize with a millionaire trying to make more millions. Especially if it negatively affects the team they root for.

But Sorry, nearly everyone reading this would also say "75+ Million over the course of a career is worth a hell of a lot more than 30~40M total." Saying a specific dollar amount should be "enough" for someone is foolish and just sounds like petty jealousy. Sure we all wish that the great players for our team were like Tom Brady who had the luxury to take slightly below market deals in the twilight of his career because he'd already made $100 million dollars and married a woman worth more money than him. But the reality is that for 99% of players, "enough" is the most you can get while you can get it.

Any response that talks about how 14.5 million is such a large number and he should accept it because "everyone would love to make that kind of money" is clearly unable to put themselves in someone else's shoes.

I make fairly good money in my job.  Enough where I am above the average for my area.  There are plenty of people I know who would like to make what I make, but that doesn't mean I would be happy to simply take a one year contract that pays me twice what I currently make without any guarantee of future money.  Especially if my career involved risks that could potentially ruin my future prospects. 

If Bell sits, i think he will wait till near week 10 and inform the team he will sit if they make the playoffs.

He wants to be CUT.  That is the ONLY way he can sign a big deal this year, and some team who is playoff bound who needs RB help just might do it. 

A trade isnt going to happen.  He has zero trade value under this franchise tag.  Who is going to want a guy for 6 weeks who plans to sit out the playoffs?

I think I’m worth a lot more than what I get paid.  I think I’ll notify my boss that I intend to hold out.
Ask for a raise then and if they say no then walk. People can and do this all the time. Difference is you can leave your job for another one whenever you want.

Bell cannot do that because of the Franchise tag.

I think at this point the bridge has been burned and they won't be able to trust him even if he signs.  Especially if he signs later in the year.

If he makes it clear he won't be playing this year, even when he signs the deal, I think the smart move (as much as it will hurt the Steelers) is to rescind the offer and get a third round compensatory pick for him (I've read numerous people say they wouldn't get one in this case, but the Panthers got one for Josh Norman two years ago...so unless there is a rule I'm not aware of, I think it would be eligible).  Otherwise he signs in week 10, fakes an injury they get nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Bell sits, i think he will wait till near week 10 and inform the team he will sit if they make the playoffs.

He wants to be CUT.  That is the ONLY way he can sign a big deal this year, and some team who is playoff bound who needs RB help just might do it. 

A trade isnt going to happen.  He has zero trade value under this franchise tag.  Who is going to want a guy for 6 weeks who plans to sit out the playoffs?
If he does this then I will be surprised cause he seems to enjoy keeping the team in the dark.

At this point I think the Steelers are committed to not releasing him so they can get a 3rd round compensatory pick and they don't set a precedence for future players to do the same thing. 

If i am the steelers i am making it clear to Bell that I expect him to sit in the playoffs, and that it is worth it for 5-6 weeks of his services.

Might be the only way to get him in soon.  

If they have a terrible start to the year, maybe a Ben i jury,  then they probably just rescind the tag before he could sign it.  

I think at this point the bridge has been burned and they won't be able to trust him even if he signs.  Especially if he signs later in the year.

If he makes it clear he won't be playing this year, even when he signs the deal, I think the smart move (as much as it will hurt the Steelers) is to rescind the offer and get a third round compensatory pick for him (I've read numerous people say they wouldn't get one in this case, but the Panthers got one for Josh Norman two years ago).  Otherwise he signs in week 10, fakes an injury they get nothing.
IDK, seems like most players and owners are grownups and realize that holding out is just part of the business. Faking injuries and dogging it on the field not giving 100% is something else entirely and I think would really hurt him in the eyes of future teams that would be interested in signing him.

From the article, he could be traded. It would be messy but it could happen:

Can the Steelers just trade him?

Sort of, but it would be a clumsy process and not something the Steelers want to do unless forced. Several league sources say a trade for Bell wouldn't work for two primary reasons: his volatile position, and the challenge of the franchise tag. A team couldn't negotiate a new deal with him now. It would have to wait for Bell to play out his tag, then re-up after the season. A lot can happen to Bell's overall value and bottom line during that time, and a team most likely wouldn't give up top picks for that uncertainty, especially for a running back, despite Bell's greatness.

True but based on the reactions by the GM and players it sure seems like they thought he was going to report for Week 1
That seems like the biggest issue with all of this for the players and the coaches. They expected a mirror of last year. Bell seemed to indicate a mirror to last year would happen and then he ghosts the team at the last second giving them no option to snag extra help at RB in a FA RB or a rookie. Sure this helps his negotiating position, but it's a #### move for a guy playing a team sport. 

That seems like the biggest issue with all of this for the players and the coaches. They expected a mirror of last year. Bell seemed to indicate a mirror to last year would happen and then he ghosts the team at the last second giving them no option to snag extra help at RB in a FA RB or a rookie. Sure this helps his negotiating position, but it's a #### move for a guy playing a team sport. 
There's nothing to negotiate.

Well if he's traded week 10 the value of the contract is minimal for this year.  I doubt Bell is going to miss a chance at ring if he's even remotely competitive.

Can't be too many teams with $15 million in cap space sitting around, although they can get cute with bonuses.
7 teams currently have that or more (two of them being the Colts and Jets, both with a need at the position - another being the 49ers, but I can't see that after the McKinnon deal).  5 more have between $10-15m, though none of those really have a need at the position. 

True, but they view Conner as being at least equal to what Deangelo was, mainly because Conner has improved as a blocker and pass catcher this offseason. People that don't view Conner as the new bellcow are underestimating how much the Steelers like him. 

Jaylen Samuels could be used on 3rd downs in obvious passing situations, but Conner should get 65%+ of the work, which is standard for an RB1. 
They can view him that way (and they may end up being right), but he hasn't shown it in games that count.  To be honest, he hasn't shown it this preseason, either.  He doesn't have the elusiveness that DWill did.  He's more of a power-type back.  IMO, Pitts offense isn't as suited to a power-back as they are to one like Bell who is more of an elusive, shifty type RB (obviously he can run with power, too).

I think I’m worth a lot more than what I get paid.  I think I’ll notify my boss that I intend to hold out.
I done this successfully myself.

But I am not sure how this is relevant to Bell.

He isn't holding out to get more (the franchise tag dictates what he can get this year), he is holding out to minimize the risk of missing out on more next year.

If he makes it clear he won't be playing this year, even when he signs the deal, I think the smart move (as much as it will hurt the Steelers) is to rescind the offer and get a third round compensatory pick for him (I've read numerous people say they wouldn't get one in this case, but the Panthers got one for Josh Norman two years ago...so unless there is a rule I'm not aware of, I think it would be eligible).  Otherwise he signs in week 10, fakes an injury they get nothing.
They get to pay him 5+ million for 6 games not played 

My understanding is that once the Steelers rescind the franchise tag then they have essentially released him and so are not awarded a compensatory pick
That’s what I thought, but I’m not sure.  Car got a comp pick when they rescinded the tag on Norman.  That was earlier in the process, though, so it’s unclear.

Are you currently employed?  If so, not an apples to apples comparison.  If you had a contract expire, and are negotiating a new contract with the company that employed you last year - pretty sure that happens all the time.

That’s what I thought, but I’m not sure.  Car got a comp pick when they rescinded the tag on Norman.  That was earlier in the process, though, so it’s unclear.
I think it depends on what contact he signs for THIS year.  If they rescind the tag, and no one signs him to a big enough deal to qualify for a 3rd round pick, then no.  Which, if he gets released midway through the season, he'll probably just sit the year out - so I don't think there would be a compensatory pick, as he went unsigned.  If they rescind and someone signs him to a big long term THIS year - then yea, they should get the pick.

One thing getting missed is that a big part of Bell’s motivation is resetting the market for other backs.  There’s strong evidence that he has told other RBs in his peer group he is going to use this season’s contract to fix problems with RB contracts.

Here’s Bell in January when he made waves saying he’d retire before he went back to the Steelers under the franchise tag:

"I don't necessarily care about the money aspect of it. I just want to be valued where I'm at. If I am playing this game, I want to set standards for all the other running backs behind me, like Todd Gurleyand Ezekiel Elliott, Melvin Gordon, guys like that. I'm a guy they can kind of look at. I feel I can do that. I'm in a position where I can do that, and I'm going to do it."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22044556/leveon-bell-pittsburgh-steelers-sit-2018-retire-tagged-again

Ok great. People say stuff right?

Ya except here’s Kamara six months later to a TMZ reporter:

“All I know is that Le’veon is about to change something up for us.”  

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.tmz.com/2018/07/22/alvin-kamara-leveon-bell-money-contract-steelers/

So early summer Kamara seems to know something that’s probably a lot like what we’re all figuring out this week.

Scroll down Kamara’s twitter feed and the first mention of Gurley or Bell is a retweet of Gurley saying the Steelers should have paid Bell the multi year contract he wanted.  Anytime these elite RBs tag each other it’s usually related to this issue.

So this has been top of mind for these guys and they’ve been discussing it, including what Bell told them he is going to do about it.

When you tell peers you respect and who respect you that you will do something there’s an intense psychological drive to follow through on it.

It’s likely this is at least one of the reasons, if not the main reason, this year’s hold out seems to be going very differently than last year’s even though it’s basically the same situation on paper just with a higher contract value.

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
Some analysts sound really confident he'll show up on Saturday. Miss out on 20 touches and still get paid. I'm not as sure, but that would be nice.
Also, I think that if he does hold out and then skips the playoffs, whatever team signs him next definitely won't give him as much as if he had a great year. (presuming he could stay healthy)

Users who are viewing this thread