What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help me pick a good bourbon (1 Viewer)

Once you go Kentucky Owl, you won't go back   :banned:
Marketing genius. They released a bunch of limited bottles (of sourced product)with a good story to create market demand and get their name out and now all the fools are tripping over themselves to buy "Confiscated" at a $100 bottle. Its a solid $30-$40 bourbon.

Marketing genius. They released a bunch of limited bottles (of sourced product)with a good story to create market demand and get their name out and now all the fools are tripping over themselves to buy "Confiscated" at a $100 bottle. Its a solid $30-$40 bourbon.
I don't think I've had the Confiscated ones....the bottles I had were more than that.  Really enjoyed it.  Pappy Van Winkle also worth tasting.  

Blantons is getting harder to find but thats a good one.  Hudson Baby Bourbon and Noah's Mill are both solid.

Just want to say that Makers Mark is terrible.  Definitely time to graduate.

I do prefer ryes these days myself.  Can't go wrong with Templeton Rye and it's reasonably priced.

I wish I could remember the name of it but about a month ago I was in Waukeshaw, WI at a place called Tofte's Table (phenomenal restaurant btw). They had a nice bourbon menu that featured a bunch of local stuff. I told the waitress what I liked and asked her to pick something comparable. She gave me a local bourbon that I think started with a D but that's about all I got. Had 6-7 and drifted off into oblivion. Would love to discover what the hell that was.

There are many good bourbons on the shelf right now that you would enjoy.   I would never pay a premium over price on a secondary market unless you are trying to impress someone.  As I stated before I went to blind bourbon tasting events where the inexpensive bourbons rated higher that the expensive ones.  I am talking 25-50 dollar price range.  And some of the 100 dollar bottles are only that expensive because they are not readily available, not because they are better.

There are many good bourbons on the shelf right now that you would enjoy.   I would never pay a premium over price on a secondary market unless you are trying to impress someone.  As I stated before I went to blind bourbon tasting events where the inexpensive bourbons rated higher that the expensive ones.  I am talking 25-50 dollar price range.  And some of the 100 dollar bottles are only that expensive because they are not readily available, not because they are better.
Sure.  And I'm not asking what's the most expensive.  I'm asking what's a high quality one?  If the high quality one is $40, I'm cool with that.  I was just saying I'd be willing to pay a good amount for a bottle.  Was giving my price range.  

But I totally get what you're saying.  I've had some $15 bottles of wine that I loved.  And I've had some $100 bottles that were terrible.  I definitely won't be trying to impress anyone because it will most likely just be me and my wife.  

Sure.  And I'm not asking what's the most expensive.  I'm asking what's a high quality one?  If the high quality one is $40, I'm cool with that.  I was just saying I'd be willing to pay a good amount for a bottle.  Was giving my price range.  

But I totally get what you're saying.  I've had some $15 bottles of wine that I loved.  And I've had some $100 bottles that were terrible.  I definitely won't be trying to impress anyone because it will most likely just be me and my wife.  
I think you will very pleased with these quite affordable bottles (and won't miss out on the difference if you had paid double or triple). It's just a matter availability in your area:

Eagle Rare

Elmer T Lee

Anything from Col EH Taylor

Blantons

Four Roses Single Barrel 

I think you will very pleased with these quite affordable bottles (and won't miss out on the difference if you had paid double or triple). It's just a matter availability in your area:

Eagle Rare

Elmer T Lee

Anything from Col EH Taylor

Blantons

Four Roses Single Barrel 
Blanton's sounds so familiar, but the bottle doesn't ring a bell at all.  Maybe I ordered it at a bar or restaurant.  I swear I've had that before.  But when I pulled up the bottle, it was a definite :no:  on seeing that bottle ever.

Watch this video. These guys are good.  They talk about many of the bourbons mentioned here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blanton's sounds so familiar, but the bottle doesn't ring a bell at all.  Maybe I ordered it at a bar or restaurant.  I swear I've had that before.  But when I pulled up the bottle, it was a definite :no:  on seeing that bottle ever.
It's quite good and a very distinct bottle for sure

A lot of the stuff mentioned in here you can't just go into a liquor store and buy (Blanton's, Elmer T Lee, Weller, EH Taylor). If you're not in a secondary market group already, it's probably not worth your time if you're not a big drinker.

Of the bottles that you can just go into a store and buy, I'd say Booker's is the best but it's too hot for a lot of folks.  After that I like Noah's Mill, but it's got a unique palate that isn't for everyone (it's also pretty boozy).  Then I'd go with Old Forester 1920 or 1910.  The 1920 is high proof, so if that's not your thing go with the 1910. I'm also a fan of Four Roses Single Barrel.

A lot of the stuff mentioned in here you can't just go into a liquor store and buy (Blanton's, Elmer T Lee, Weller, EH Taylor). If you're not in a secondary market group already, it's probably not worth your time if you're not a big drinker.

Of the bottles that you can just go into a store and buy, I'd say Booker's is the best but it's too hot for a lot of folks.  After that I like Noah's Mill, but it's got a unique palate that isn't for everyone (it's also pretty boozy).  Then I'd go with Old Forester 1920 or 1910.  The 1920 is high proof, so if that's not your thing go with the 1910. I'm also a fan of Four Roses Single Barrel.
Depends where you live. I can go into a dozen liquor stores or grocery stores around me and find many of those brands. 

I wish I could remember the name of it but about a month ago I was in Waukeshaw, WI at a place called Tofte's Table (phenomenal restaurant btw). They had a nice bourbon menu that featured a bunch of local stuff. I told the waitress what I liked and asked her to pick something comparable. She gave me a local bourbon that I think started with a D but that's about all I got. Had 6-7 and drifted off into oblivion. Would love to discover what the hell that was.
J Henry and Sons is the most popular WI bourbon

Haven't seen Henry McKeena mentioned here but is a very good mid priced pour

Let's change direction a bit here... Sheik lives in PA and can (generally) only buy what the Commonwealth says he can buy, here is the list: Link to State owned monopoly website

What's your pick for him from there?
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.  I'm not a fan of the Small Batch, but the Barrel Proof is a favorite.  My local Kroger got an allocation in earlier this year and I gobbled up six of them.  I will drink all of them.  :banned:

Also the Blantons, the McKeena 10 year and the four roses single barrel
The Blanton's listings are never right... I am fairly certain that the state employees keep them in the back and either purchase them for re-sale, or save them for certain customers.  I have tried a few time this year to get them from a local-ish store when they are listed, and they are never available regardless of what the website says. Fn PA

You are looking in the wrong places.  Sure, if you just google it, $200.  But there are plenty of fb groups that you can get it all day at $125-$150, shipped to your door. 
Would love to be pointed in the right direction.  I just don't see it out there and when you do it is more than that unless you find it at local retail store.  Even there prices have increased greatly on it. 

Would love to be pointed in the right direction.  I just don't see it out there and when you do it is more than that unless you find it at local retail store.  Even there prices have increased greatly on it. 
I love Weller 12, but part of that love is that it is a $26 bottle and great value.  I would go up to $50 or so for it but after that there are many other options that are available at that price that are better than Weller 12.  EH Taylor Small Batch, Eagle Rare, Blanton's, are a few options.  And I know those aren't always available but they are available from time to time.  I've bought them all at MSRP in the last 12 months.

I love Weller 12, but part of that love is that it is a $26 bottle and great value.  I would go up to $50 or so for it but after that there are many other options that are available at that price that are better than Weller 12.  EH Taylor Small Batch, Eagle Rare, Blanton's, are a few options.  And I know those aren't always available but they are available from time to time.  I've bought them all at MSRP in the last 12 months.
I agree, with you completely.  I just don't think you can find Weller at anything but obscene prices these days (let alone MSRP), which is more of my point in my post. I have about a quarter bottle of weller 12 still which I think I bought for like 50 or so but feels like I bought it ages ago.  

Damn man. Great stuff. Bookers and Noah's Mill are way up on my list of favorites. And those Old Forester whiskeys are excellent - the 1870 is my fav.

From J's list:

Bulleit, Woodford, Knob Creek, Basil Hayden and Blanton's are all good drinking for me.

Let's change direction a bit here... Sheik lives in PA and can (generally) only buy what the Commonwealth says he can buy, here is the list: Link to State owned monopoly website

Of the ones on that list I'd go Blantons (good luck) first followed by:

Henry MKenna

Buffalo Trace (<$30)

Elijah Craig small batch

Clyde Mays (from Alabama I think, but good Under $40 bottle)

While I do live in PA, DE is just a short ride down 202.  It's where I usually go to buy big ticket items.  You know.  Then pay PA their taxes on those items, obviously. :oldunsure:

But the wife and I were thinking about maybe driving down there this weekend to check out Total Wine & More.  Supposed to have a good selection of stuff.  I checked their website and it said they currently do not have any Blanton's in stock.

While I do live in PA, DE is just a short ride down 202.  It's where I usually go to buy big ticket items.  You know.  Then pay PA their taxes on those items, obviously. :oldunsure:

But the wife and I were thinking about maybe driving down there this weekend to check out Total Wine & More.  Supposed to have a good selection of stuff.  I checked their website and it said they currently do not have any Blanton's in stock.
I have a GB who lives near that Total Wine, it is always like I am in another world when I pop in. 

P.S. I think you should hunt for a bottle of Blanton's BTW

I've been to some Total Wine stores in Florida and they had pretty big selection. I was usually looking for beer, rather than bourbon, but I assume the selection is good across the board.

I've been to some Total Wine stores in Florida and they had pretty big selection. I was usually looking for beer, rather than bourbon, but I assume the selection is good across the board.
Pretty good, but no Weller at all. Weller is exclusive to ABC in FL.

I've tried some expensive bourbons, and they were good, but weren't appreciably better than Eagle Rare 10 and that one is really priced well.

If you want a very smooth bourbon go with Basil Hayden.    Around 40-45 a bottle.   Every bourbon person I have served this to really likes it.

Driftless Glen maybe?  And you were in Waukesha ;)

Only one mention of Buillet.  Am I wrong in liking it? 
Not at all, it's just not in the same vain as many mentioned in this thread.  I actually always have a 1.75 on hand for folks who want drink with a splash of coke.

Not at all, it's just not in the same vain as many mentioned in this thread.  I actually always have a 1.75 on hand for folks who want drink with a splash of coke.
Is it in the same tier as Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve?  Not trying to set you up or anything, just genuinely curious.

Is it in the same tier as Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve?  Not trying to set you up or anything, just genuinely curious.
I like it for a good, cheap whiskey. I like both the rye and the bourbon.

I'd put it in the same class as MM. I like Woodford a bit more, though and feel like it's a step above.

Only one mention of Buillet.  Am I wrong in liking it? 
Whether or not you like it is really the only thing that matters.

I like having some Basel Hayden around for those times when I just want to pound some bourbon like actors do in the movies. Its very light and poundable, tastes great, and is pretty cheap at Costco - I think in the $30s.  I got a bottle of Woodford's Double Oaked bourbon at Costco a week or so ago for about $45 and that seems like its right in my wheelhouse - about 90 proof - and great to sip with a cigar or a book.  I also think the Four Roses single barrel for under $50 is a great buy.

This is one of my go to expensive ones that I've always liked.
If you like Basil then sticking with any of the Jim Beam lineage brands is probably wise. They all have a distinct flavor IMO from the JBB to the Bookers and everything in between due to the unique darker barrel char they use.  Beam, Baker, Basil, Booker, Knob.

Technically, Maker's is owned by the same company but their recipe is a different lineage.

Users who are viewing this thread