What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Trading Cards guys? (Sports, etc) (3 Viewers)

How about us guys that want to buy a box or some packs on the cheap where I could pull a card worth $20-30?  Do those exist?  I have been out of the game for SOOOO long.

I prefer football but could also go basketball.  Do Target or Wal-Mart stock these boxes/packs?  If not where should I buy?  I miss opening packs and going in to Beckett to see if I scored.

Appreciate the wealth of knowledge here!

How about us guys that want to buy a box or some packs on the cheap where I could pull a card worth $20-30?  Do those exist?  I have been out of the game for SOOOO long.

I prefer football but could also go basketball.  Do Target or Wal-Mart stock these boxes/packs?  If not where should I buy?  I miss opening packs and going in to Beckett to see if I scored.

Appreciate the wealth of knowledge here!
While they do sell individual packs nowadays, which I guess are now called "gravity pack" - your odds of pulling a decent card out of here worth $20-30 are not so high, unless you are hitting a rookie base, even still, a rookie base Herbert in Donruss is still like $17.

Your best bet honestly would be to find a local card shop and purchase a hobby pack or 2, if part of the fun is getting a good card.

Mosaic is your best bet for either, to pull a decent valued card. But unless you live in the sticks, you are probably buying Mosaic on the secondary market. 

While they do sell individual packs nowadays, which I guess are now called "gravity pack" - your odds of pulling a decent card out of here worth $20-30 are not so high, unless you are hitting a rookie base, even still, a rookie base Herbert in Donruss is still like $17.

Your best bet honestly would be to find a local card shop and purchase a hobby pack or 2, if part of the fun is getting a good card.

Mosaic is your best bet for either, to pull a decent valued card. But unless you live in the sticks, you are probably buying Mosaic on the secondary market. 
There's a sports memorabilia shop pretty close to where I'm at, but their "hobby packs" are like $300.  Not willing to invest quite that much at this point.

I think I should just go buy a few packs to see if I still get the same rush from opening and seeing what I get.  :lol:

There's a sports memorabilia shop pretty close to where I'm at, but their "hobby packs" are like $300.  Not willing to invest quite that much at this point.

I think I should just go buy a few packs to see if I still get the same rush from opening and seeing what I get.  :lol:
Oh haha, depends on the brand and shop. You should be able to rip some Donruss Hobby packs or the Phoenix that just came out "somewhere" just each brand is differently priced.

Mosaic Hobby: $700-850 - LCS has the packs for $89 each, where the Donruss is much cheaper at $15

Just a heads up in case anybody is interested. A lot of my friends have contacted me about creating football and baseball card assortments for their spouses or kids that are either getting back into collecting or are just starting.  I have loads of autos, relics, jersey cards, parallels, and rookies and I'm starting to put together cool packages for people that ask me to put them together.  Most are asking for $50, $100, or $200 packages and I'm generally putting cards valued at 2x that or more.   If any of you guys are interested for yourselves for your kids---shoot me a pm as I'm planning on putting together a few packages next weekend.   

What is really criminal these days is the price on penny sleeves and top loaders. There is a huge shortage of both these out there--I think BCW is back ordered through almost next year. Looking on Ebay, people are selling packs of 100 card sleeves (which are normally .99) for 4-5 dollars--sometimes a lot more. 
I've got a case of top-loaders in my closet that I bought about 10 years ago. I did have to buy some penny sleeves. Picked up 500 last week on Amazon for ~$8 

Picked up 2 complete sets of this 2020 Phoenix Football. Hobby Box has only 60 total cards, but you get signatures, limited prints, etc.

Set is 200 cards and you don't get anything "cool" other than some "Inferno" fireburst parallel, 1 per set I believe. But you do get the 3 Rookie QB bases and seems like a good deal. 

Picked up 2 complete sets of this 2020 Phoenix Football. Hobby Box has only 60 total cards, but you get signatures, limited prints, etc.

Set is 200 cards and you don't get anything "cool" other than some "Inferno" fireburst parallel, 1 per set I believe. But you do get the 3 Rookie QB bases and seems like a good deal. 
Nice. I would've gotten one of those too if our Target had them. Cool looking cards and resale value looks decent so far on eBay. Where did you get them?

Nice. I would've gotten one of those too if our Target had them. Cool looking cards and resale value looks decent so far on eBay. Where did you get them?
Got them on Amazon. $99 each, go grab one. They are selling on ebay for $140/150. Silly. 

Also, Clearly Donruss hit the Panini website this morning for Basketball at 8 AM PST> 5 packs 4 cards per pack. $330 per box. Sold out on Panini in 7 minutes. 

Wax is hot!

Got in on a Mosaic Break for the first time last this weekend. Random teams, but a buddy got the Pelicans and was able to pull 3 Zions from the same break. Same guy that pulled a Burrow Rookie Scripts on his first rip with me too. 

Was trying to pickup some Rookies and Stars Football via Panini website. Had someone come in my office right before launch time. 10 mins later they aren't even listed on the site any more. FML 

Last edited by a moderator:
uhhhhh...a pokemon card my daughter pulled from a box i bought her.

eta: charizard can't tear his acl
:lol:  facts! congrats on the 10! I've seen talk on the Twitter of people resubmitting cards to BGS to try and get the black label, with moderate success. Just a thought if it's that big a $ difference. 

I just found a shoe box full of 1975 and 1977 football cards.  It’s roughly 750 cards.  Includes 2 of Simpson, Bradshaw, l Swann, Fouts etc.  whats the best way to sell them all or if anyone here is interested, let me know.  

I just found a shoe box full of 1975 and 1977 football cards.  It’s roughly 750 cards.  Includes 2 of Simpson, Bradshaw, l Swann, Fouts etc.  whats the best way to sell them all or if anyone here is interested, let me know.  
eBay probably your best bet unless you have someone locally that is in the business. I'm interested!

Nathan R. Jessep said:
:lol:  facts! congrats on the 10! I've seen talk on the Twitter of people resubmitting cards to BGS to try and get the black label, with moderate success. Just a thought if it's that big a $ difference. 

Oh, I've already bought a PSA 10, cracked it and will be resubmitting to BGS next week.

Question, as I was out of the hobby for the last several years when the bajillion parallels phenomenon caught on. I know Cardboard Connection has set checklists for just about everything. But how does one know the rarity of all those parallels (for the ones that aren't serial numbered, that is)? Besides just trying to gage prices on eBay, is there another resource somewhere that says how many were printed etc.?

Another question. Looking at Prizm Draft Picks basketball for example. A player may have 2 (or more?) variations of the BASE SET. And one of those commands higher prices on the secondary market. Why? Just demand bc of the look of one over the other variations? 

I'll hang up and listen. 

Question, as I was out of the hobby for the last several years when the bajillion parallels phenomenon caught on. I know Cardboard Connection has set checklists for just about everything. But how does one know the rarity of all those parallels (for the ones that aren't serial numbered, that is)? Besides just trying to gage prices on eBay, is there another resource somewhere that says how many were printed etc.?

Another question. Looking at Prizm Draft Picks basketball for example. A player may have 2 (or more?) variations of the BASE SET. And one of those commands higher prices on the secondary market. Why? Just demand bc of the look of one over the other variations? 

I'll hang up and listen. 
There are people in the hobby that basically try to approximate how many of each variation were printed in regards to Prizm products.  Some of the parallels are available in both retail and hobby products--and some are only exclusively available in some.  With that said--these approximations are just educated guesses and nobody outside of panini really knows.  ifyou want to know what you should pay or what something is worth--I'd recommend using a website called 130point and use the "search ebay sales" function.   I like it better than using ebay to search sold sales because 130 point actually shows what people paid for best offers--while an ebay standard sold search does not. 

Prizm products (as well as others--topps is notorious for this too) very often have what they called SP or SSP photo variations.  Generally speaking the photo variations are short printed so they can command more money.   

There are people in the hobby that basically try to approximate how many of each variation were printed in regards to Prizm products.  Some of the parallels are available in both retail and hobby products--and some are only exclusively available in some.  With that said--these approximations are just educated guesses and nobody outside of panini really knows.  ifyou want to know what you should pay or what something is worth--I'd recommend using a website called 130point and use the "search ebay sales" function.   I like it better than using ebay to search sold sales because 130 point actually shows what people paid for best offers--while an ebay standard sold search does not. 

Prizm products (as well as others--topps is notorious for this too) very often have what they called SP or SSP photo variations.  Generally speaking the photo variations are short printed so they can command more money.   
awesome, will check out that site for sure, thanks GB!

And yeah, I figured out the photo part from looking at Mosaic football this year, with the college jersey photos vs pro jersey photos for the same card #.   What I was more specifically talking about was, like in the aforementioned Draft Picks set, some players (or maybe all of them, I was just looking at a couple in particular) have two different base cards, different numbers, which are not parallels. But one seems to command higher prices, so seeing that is what led me to ask my poorly worded question. :lol:  

stlrams said:
Best advice from me is to manage expectations on their value.  Unless they're in mint condition or nr mt - corners sharp, centering, etc, the demand likely won't be there.  

Decided to get back in to it a little bit and buy some rookie psa 10's of some players and already spent $1500 on 8 cards and obviously thats not even top cards either..

Are cards smaller these days or are my hands just bigger from when I use to collect? The cards seem so tiny.

Decided to get back in to it a little bit and buy some rookie psa 10's of some players and already spent $1500 on 8 cards and obviously thats not even top cards either..

Are cards smaller these days or are my hands just bigger from when I use to collect? The cards seem so tiny.
They're roughly the same size I think, although some of the newer stuff has thicker card stock, especially the jersey/memorabilia ones. You have to get the fat top-loaders/screwdowns if you are going to acquire any of those.

What'dya get?? Show off those PSA 10s! :lol:  I've bought a bunch, but no graded ones yet. Might look through what I've bought though and see if any are grade worthy. 

They're roughly the same size I think, although some of the newer stuff has thicker card stock, especially the jersey/memorabilia ones. You have to get the fat top-loaders/screwdowns if you are going to acquire any of those.

What'dya get?? Show off those PSA 10s! :lol:  I've bought a bunch, but no graded ones yet. Might look through what I've bought though and see if any are grade worthy. 
Tatis Topps rookie with the 150th anniversary stamp

Luis Robert '85 black

Albies Purple refractor

Guerrero jr Chrome Sepia refractor

Acuna Chrome Sepia refractor

Torres Chrome Prism refractor

Soto Chrome Sepia

Alonso chrome purple refractor

Plus a couple of little odds and ends cards. 

Would have been cheaper just buying the reg rookies but went with more lower number rookie cards

I'll hang up and listen. 
I don't know if someone on Blowout Forums would know or not.  They do have a pretty active buy/sell/trade section with a lot of flippers looking for the next big thing.  

Just thought I'd share my new ebay listing with the community.   It's more of a humorous post than an actual listing solely because I purposely priced the card astronomically high so that it doesn't sell.  I purchased the card because the dude's auto looks very similar to "man junk"  if you look at the shape and placement of the auto.  I cannot tell you how may laughs this card has created for my friends and I and I figured I might as well share it here.   Lol. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-Anatomically-Correct-Oswald-Peraza-Bowman-Chrome-Auto-Best-card-ever/164549985387?hash=item264ff1846b:g:gnwAAOSw31JfxdVI

Do you still have these. Could possibly be interested or might know someone!

I may eventually be sorry I found this thread as I'm staring to get interested in cards again.  My kids were interested in football cards for the last few years and we bought some packs on and off but of course they didn't seem to be interested in 2007 so no Mahomes rookies anywhere.  My son did open a pack with a mail away insert and got this Peyton Manning Top Targets card...  Front & Back

My favorite part of the hobby was always opening up packs so I decided to take a chunk of my ebay profits and throw it into a lot of 6+ 2020 Donruss blaster boxes.  Hoping it will be a fun activity opening up with my kids (14 & 12) and sorting through to find some rookies and inserts.

I started taking out and looking back at my old cards from the late 80's / early 90's.  Unfortunately, I realized alot of my non-baseball cards (which were the only valuable ones from the timeframe) and some baseball in protectors had still been in a drawer at my parents' house when they had a fire that was a total loss.  So kicking myself each time I realize what I had and burned up.  So far I realized a ton of cards and rookies from 1989 Score football including multiple Barry Sanders, Troy Aikman, Deion Sanders rookies.  Also lost my error card collection including the 1989 UD errors like the reversed Dale Murphy, and multiple 1989 Fleer Billy Ripken "FF" errors.  My inner 13yo fondly remembers discovering that error and I've been looking at picking up a PSA 10 on ebay if I find a good price.  

In addition to tons of commons and some sets I did actually bring over from my old house I did grab the small box of some better cards...

Cards 1

Cards 2

The 1952 Bowman Stan Musial was a gift from a guy who brought a bunch of old cards into my dad's business to have me check and price for him.  A bunch of stuff from the 50's but no huge hits in the cards he had.

The other older cards were from an end of year raffle I won from a card show I used to attend throughout the year.  It was supposed to be $1000 value package and part was a $100 GC that I used to buy that 1987 Jordan.  The 1986 Barkley I traded one of my extra 89 UD Griffeys for.  I was all in on searching for those 89 Griffeys at the time (along with Gary Sheffield) and luckily got a bunch from packs.

Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in!

Last edited by a moderator:
Like many, going to give this a try and see if it is something I can enjoy with my kids. Was fortunate to find a bunch of various boxes at retail recently. Thankful for this as my local shop nicely laughed at me when I asked what I could do with a $100/month budget estimate.

Would anyone like to give me advice as to what I should be hoping for in these boxes, and if any are more appealing than the others? I'm finding the various brands, products, and packages quite confusing!

Here's what I found:
Baseball
* 2020 Topps Stadium Club Chrome, 24 card box
* 2020 Topps Update Series, 99 card box

Basketball
* 2020 Panini Prizm Draft Picks, 28 card box
Wish I could find some regular NBA, but that seems a tough get

Football
* 2020 SAGE HIT Premier Draft, 50 or 70 (can't tell) card box, seems like a weird/generic product, but mention of 3 autographs sucked me in
* 2020 Panini Playoff, 56 card box
* 2020 Panini Absolute, 64 card box
* 2020 Panini Rookies and Stars 60 card expensive box AND 70 card box AND 60 card box AND 40 card pack

Thanks for any help!

Was taking part in some breaks with a LCS that included signed Leaf jerseys (boxed), mini-helmets and some Illusions football boxes. Didn't hit on anything too exciting after being part of 5 or 6 at $35/each. Was hoping to get one of the jerseys for my son as a Christmas gift but that didn't happen. 

Ended up going to PristineAuctions.com and picked up a signed, Beckett authenticated Khalil Mack Bears jersey for $120 shipped. I'm happy with that. 

Just thought I'd share my new ebay listing with the community.   It's more of a humorous post than an actual listing solely because I purposely priced the card astronomically high so that it doesn't sell.  I purchased the card because the dude's auto looks very similar to "man junk"  if you look at the shape and placement of the auto.  I cannot tell you how may laughs this card has created for my friends and I and I figured I might as well share it here.   Lol. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-Anatomically-Correct-Oswald-Peraza-Bowman-Chrome-Auto-Best-card-ever/164549985387?hash=item264ff1846b:g:gnwAAOSw31JfxdVI
20K?

And here i am listing my 1985 Topps Rusty ####z cards for 4.99

comfortably numb said:
20K?

And here i am listing my 1985 Topps Rusty ####z cards for 4.99
It's a listing that I made completely for fun.  Not looking to sell the card--more looking to share it with the world. Lol 

houston said:
Like many, going to give this a try and see if it is something I can enjoy with my kids. Was fortunate to find a bunch of various boxes at retail recently. Thankful for this as my local shop nicely laughed at me when I asked what I could do with a $100/month budget estimate.

Would anyone like to give me advice as to what I should be hoping for in these boxes, and if any are more appealing than the others? I'm finding the various brands, products, and packages quite confusing!

Here's what I found:
Baseball
* 2020 Topps Stadium Club Chrome, 24 card box
* 2020 Topps Update Series, 99 card box

Basketball
* 2020 Panini Prizm Draft Picks, 28 card box
Wish I could find some regular NBA, but that seems a tough get

Football
* 2020 SAGE HIT Premier Draft, 50 or 70 (can't tell) card box, seems like a weird/generic product, but mention of 3 autographs sucked me in
* 2020 Panini Playoff, 56 card box
* 2020 Panini Absolute, 64 card box
* 2020 Panini Rookies and Stars 60 card expensive box AND 70 card box AND 60 card box AND 40 card pack

Thanks for any help!
The best way to figure value is to look them up on ebay. 

The Prizm Draft Picks basketball, Panini Absolute, and Topps Stadium Club Chrome are premium products. The Topps Update is usually better than it is this year, but they held back most of the interesting rookie cards for next year's release.

The only rookie of note in the Topps Update is Arozarena with little chance of any others breaking out.  There are about 25 true rookie cards in the series, but most are the 27-YO types who only made a roster because they were expanded.  It is a good entry-level rip for your kids that is somewhat available.

Why are there still 2019-20 basketball and 2020 baseball products being released? Is this due to some Covid delays? Or just one sign of the many different ways these card companies are trying to present products for a given season?

Why are there still 2019-20 basketball and 2020 baseball products being released? Is this due to some Covid delays? Or just one sign of the many different ways these card companies are trying to present products for a given season?
Yes and yes.   Covid did delay the release of a lot of products. Also in basketball--there was an abnormally short off season between the end of 19-20 and the start of 20-21.  They certainly are also making a lot of products to capitalize on the popularity of the hobby as well.   

Wow is ebay incredibly addictive when it comes to buying cards, and the expense can sure add up quickly. Not sure the return to cards is everything I had hoped it would be. 

houston said:
Wow is ebay incredibly addictive when it comes to buying cards, and the expense can sure add up quickly. Not sure the return to cards is everything I had hoped it would be. 
Sniping is your friend, can save you a lot on money.  Never bid early on an item.  Instead, use a proxy bidder, I use Myibidder and set the bid for 6 seconds before it ends.  

Sniping is your friend, can save you a lot on money.  Never bid early on an item.  Instead, use a proxy bidder, I use Myibidder and set the bid for 6 seconds before it ends.  
I don't really get why people snipe. I decide what I'm willing to pay for said item, bid my top price and let it roll. :shrug:  

I don't really get why people snipe. I decide what I'm willing to pay for said item, bid my top price and let it roll. :shrug:  
Too many people have their friends bid to drive up the price.  If there is a $50 card you'll pay for, why not pay $20?  It's like poker, never show your hand.  You can set the snipe for $50.  Counless times I have won on the minimum bid and it really works when the auction ends at non-peak times.  I pay right away so they cannot back out.  

Users who are viewing this thread