What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ranking Led Zeppelin Songs - Request To Participate (2 Viewers)

Just heard Kashmir on radio yesterday.  I have it at bottom of my top 25.  It’s not one of my favorite 25 zep songs, but it is a fine piece of music and included it for the fact it is highly regarded by the band, specifically Plant.

I do wonder if a 20 year old Plant was able to listen to the entire Zeppelin catalog, would he rank Kashmir at the top? I think “I’m in the mood” Plant likes Kashmir more than the “squeeze my lemon” Plant.  
At age 53 Tik Tok both fascinates and scares the hell out of me.  Kashmir Cords with JP, Jack White and The Edge popped up on my feed today.  I'd never seen this before.  :scared:

Just checking in to see how your list is coming and if you still plan on getting one to me. You still have some time, but if you don't think you can get one to me in the next 3 days or so just let me know and I will stop bugging you.
Saturday. My time is gonna come.

Last edited by a moderator:
LZ mostly abandoned some of their songs right from jump street and didn't perform them live. Not sure why. Maybe they were too hard to play, too hard to sing, or didn't sound right to them. In some cases, maybe they didn't love the songs. Who knows? Will be interesting to review what songs got tossed overboard (for the most part) across their time together.
I had a few live shows from throughout the 70s back in the day. Seemed like Moby **** got longer with every tour. 🤔

Only because I was curious and decided to look it up . . .

There are 3 songs tied for being named on the most consecutive lists in a row (16 lists). 
And IIRC, there are 50 songs that at least one person had in their Top 5.

There are 3 songs tied for being named on the most consecutive lists in a row (16 lists). 
I'm looking forward to the reveal...

there are 50 songs that at least one person had in their Top 5.
That seems like a big number to me, given their studio catalog is only ~80 songs, excluding outtakes. When FFA did this for other artists like U2 and the Beatles, were there 50+ top 5 songs, and was the percentage of the catalog named as top 5 songs similar? I assume no.

This doesn't surprise me at all. 

When is the deadline to make changes?

That seems like a big number to me, given their studio catalog is only ~80 songs, excluding outtakes. When FFA did this for other artists like U2 and the Beatles, were there 50+ top 5 songs, and was the percentage of the catalog named as top 5 songs similar? I assume no.
You could count the number of rankers for U2 on one hand, so the math clearly doesn't work for that one. I was not involved in the Beatles one, so I defer to those that participated or might have more knowledge.

In this case, I agree that the LZ catalog is so deep that there are many songs for people to chose from. I do know that we will end up with at least 50% more total rankers than the Beatles thread did . . . and obviously the more rankers the greater the chance for more diversity.

This doesn't surprise me at all. 

When is the deadline to make changes?
Unless I know there are outside, mitigating circumstances and major sob stories (like you fell out of an airplane without a parachute and are currently in ICU and caught COVID while in free fall), I hope to have all new lists and edits to old lists by the end of Sunday 1/9.

Still surprised that even with the number of lists we have, a few submittals for or against a song can make a big difference. The last 3 lists that came in had one of their most iconic songs see 0, 1, and 1 point . . . so it dropped a spot or two in the rankings.

Unless I know there are outside, mitigating circumstances and major sob stories (like you fell out of an airplane without a parachute and are currently in ICU and caught COVID while in free fall), I hope to have all new lists and edits to old lists by the end of Sunday 1/9.

Still surprised that even with the number of lists we have, a few submittals for or against a song can make a big difference. The last 3 lists that came in had one of their most iconic songs see 0, 1, and 1 point . . . so it dropped a spot or two in the rankings.
I'm getting ready to message you my updated list here in about 10 or 15 minutes. 

Shoveling show, spinning Zep, just realized I completely left a HUGE favorite off my list.  I was so busy trying to decide where exactly to put the two after it.  Doh

One song swap possibly coming...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't much like that song (assuming I correctly deduced it)

You could count the number of rankers for U2 on one hand, so the math clearly doesn't work for that one. I was not involved in the Beatles one, so I defer to those that participated or might have more knowledge.

In this case, I agree that the LZ catalog is so deep that there are many songs for people to chose from. I do know that we will end up with at least 50% more total rankers than the Beatles thread did . . . and obviously the more rankers the greater the chance for more diversity.

@Getzlaf15 did the Beatles one and could advise on specifics.  That poll arose near of my Beatles countdown thread, though, so if someone hadn't committed to reading all 100+ pages of that thread (and why not?), they wouldn't have seen it.  As a result, I suspect we got more of the big-time fans of the band rather than any casual fans, and that the results would be different if it were more inclusive.  For instance, Getz previously said "Norwegian Wood" was #6 on that list, which I wouldn't expect if we had larger numbers of casual fans.

Would be fun to do a dedicated thread like this one instead and see what the results are.  Might do that at some point (or recruit Getz to!), but not now as I don't want to interfere with this thread.

I'll have it to you Saturday. A few minor tweaks and one song in my top 10 that I had written down but just skipped it or something. 

Yeah, I’m an idiot. I saw your post but saw someone else’s name on a different post. So in this case, 2 + 2 = 8 when you don’t pay attention. Listening to too much NIN will do that. 
Do you collect NIN posters?  My ibuddy has a crazy collection.

I left at least one Chalky song off each of the first six records I just noticed.  We all have our favorites I guess.  

@Getzlaf15 did the Beatles one and could advise on specifics.  That poll arose near of my Beatles countdown thread, though, so if someone hadn't committed to reading all 100+ pages of that thread (and why not?), they wouldn't have seen it.  As a result, I suspect we got more of the big-time fans of the band rather than any casual fans, and that the results would be different if it were more inclusive.  For instance, Getz previously said "Norwegian Wood" was #6 on that list, which I wouldn't expect if we had larger numbers of casual fans.

Would be fun to do a dedicated thread like this one instead and see what the results are.  Might do that at some point (or recruit Getz to!), but not now as I don't want to interfere with this thread.
I'm not nearly as serious of a Beatles fan as a Zep fan, but would gladly submit a top 25 song list if someone ends up firing up a dedicated thread like this. I would love to see a series of these threads.

I'm not nearly as serious of a Beatles fan as a Zep fan, but would gladly submit a top 25 song list if someone ends up firing up a dedicated thread like this. I would love to see a series of these threads.
I am almost equal on both fwiw.  Floyd and the Who also.

Users who are viewing this thread