What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bad Morning In Brooklyn, Subway Attack (1 Viewer)

that's not far from the Brooklyn/Battery tunnel. always state police cars at the entrance (or at least the few times I've used it)... but yikes.

from bobby's link:

The man has ties to Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, with past criminal records in those states, as well as ties to New York, law enforcement sources said. That criminal history included making "terroristic threats," but investigators said the threats were similar to ones commonly made by those who are emotionally disturbed.

It appeared that the man drove the rental van to New York from Pennsylvania on Monday, based on license plate reader data and other info, sources said......

Experts say at this early stage that the shooting appears to have been an orchestrated attack, though they caution that much could change rapidly as details develop.
him being from out of state could explain the seeming randomness of the location... maybe drove over the Verazzano? 

I'm glad they found the van at least... I was worried it could've been packed with far worse than fireworks and used somewhere else in the city. now it's the guy on foot (although who knows what he could have had in the van).

had a hatchet, gasoline and uhaul key (truck which they recovered)

Frank R James. 62? addresses in Philly and WI.

Frank James made those social media posts.

they found the key to the uhaul van at the crime-scene- not in the van... rented by James.

they don't know for sure if James has any connection to the crime. he is a person of interest.

everything being processed currently.

suspects bag

he was hauling this around on a milk crate bungee corded to a cart (super common to see construction workers with a similar setup to haul around their tools - see it everyday during commuting hours)

the box is this firework

those orange cap things are called a Seismic Wave Cracker another example

not sure if that was his smoke canister or not, can't identify anything else in the bag

That green wire is extra fuse, right?   So maybe his big plan was to join and then set off all the fireworks and then start shooting, people would think just fireworks and not a shooter!?!?

whoa. the gun man had to still be in the train there?

My thoughts also.   If i was on a train car that just had 33 shots fired, I would not be that calm. Crazy that it is just the lady talking to the guy that you hear, and not a train full of screaming.   And I know there was smoke, but once the guy stops firing, I would think someone would try to rush/subdue him.   From everything I have read, it seems like he just walked off the train with everyone else.

Dude is 6’2”

earlier reports he was 5’5”

among the shooting victims were four high schoolers on their way to school (Fox 5 news 10 o’clock news)

listening to a passenger who was on the N train one car away from the shooter

CORRECTION It was a northbound train

shooting started after they left 59th street. N trains bypass 45th (R stops) so their next stop was 36th street. I used to take that daily, it’s a solid 2-3 minutes. passenger being interviewed heard breaking glass shortly after the train left 59th. at some point the entire car moved to the north end bc they could see the car behind them was full of smoke.

a lot of people ran off the N to catch the northbound R, others went to the street (stairs were at the rear/south end of the train where the shooter & the smoke were at.) at least one of shooting victims a took the R up to 25th St.

Weren’t the subways already a lot less populated these days in our post-Covid, WFH world?
yes. they're coming back though.

what Joba is complaining about...

during Covid the police *poof* disappeared. homeless and mentally ill people started hanging out in the stations and started sleeping on trains (more than normal with the latter, which was always an issue). some of these people became more and more invasive/aggressive on the platforms without any police presence or any kind of rebuke. some of those aggressions were of the tabloid, NYC nightmare variety- people getting pushed onto the tracks, stabbed, whatever... seemingly with impunity.

Add that to non-insane, but generally troublemaking types also becoming more brazen invasive/aggressive and far less riders than normal- people who might otherwise intervene or at least record #### on their phones instead. also more quality of life stupid stuff going unenforced- pissing, pooping, smoking, blasting music... even if you're not getting attacked directly (which, while worse than the last 20 years, is really isolated but terrible incidents)- you're dealing with all of that now, making any trip into the subway worse than it has been

gone are the halcyon last 20 years where people just zoned out watching tiktok or screaming into their phones oblivious to the world around them without any kind of repercussions; crazy or criminals are back in much higher numbers- and occasionally targeting random non-crazy non-criminal city goers... or just stuck having to inhale cigarette smoke, puke, piss, poo, etc.

eta: bottom line- you have to be vigilant again, and pay attention to your surrounding and the people in them. or watch cat videos and pay the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weren’t the subways already a lot less populated these days in our post-Covid, WFH world?
anytime ridership tops 3M it's celebratory & newsworthy

pre-Covid, we averaged 5.5M per day (record is like 6.7M or something - under 7M)

Overall crime is up 32% from a year ago

Subway crime is up 56% from a year ago

not sure why I'm surprised, but I'm surprised they haven't caught this guy yet.
I find a couple things odd

• YouTube and really any social media shuts down accounts of infamous people like ASAP
  • this James Frank dude is 6'2", the suspect description was 5'5"
I presume the FBI & NYPD have resolved any discrepancy and they would not release his identity if they weren't reasonably sure they had the right guy. 

during Covid the police *poof* disappeared. homeless and mentally ill people started hanging out in the stations and started sleeping on trains (more than normal with the latter, which was always an issue). some of these people became more and more invasive/aggressive on the platforms without any police presence or any kind of rebuke. some of those aggressions were of the tabloid, NYC nightmare variety- people getting pushed onto the tracks, stabbed, whatever... seemingly with impunity.

Add that to non-insane, but generally troublemaking types also becoming more brazen invasive/aggressive and far less riders than normal- people who might otherwise intervene or at least record #### on their phones instead. also more quality of life stupid stuff going unenforced- pissing, pooping, smoking, blasting music... even if you're not getting attacked directly (which, while worse than the last 20 years, is really isolated but terrible incidents)- you're dealing with all of that now, making any trip into the subway worse than it has been

gone are the halcyon last 20 years where people just zoned out watching tiktok or screaming into their phones oblivious to the world around them without any kind of repercussions; crazy or criminals are back in much higher numbers- and occasionally targeting random non-crazy non-criminal city goers... or just stuck having to inhale cigarette smoke, puke, piss, poo, etc.

eta: bottom line- you have to be vigilant again, and pay attention to your surrounding and the people in them. or watch cat videos and pay the price.
And yet there are those crying to defund the police. Not sure why NYPD has lost it’s presence in the subway system (lack of funds? lack of officers? Etc), but what you referred to above proves they are needed! 

My wife’s company had meetings in New York a few weeks ago and one of the attendees was mugged while he wasn’t being vigilant so to speak. He was just walking on his phone and got hit from behind and suffered a face fracture but luckily not really bad eye trauma. Very close to that though, but yeah, you can’t just be in your own world in NYC anymore, which is pretty sad. My youngest has a lacrosse game tonight closer to downtown Charlotte and there will be more ex-NYC cops there than there were in that subway station.

So then why did you disagree on page 1 that the subway was more dangerous now?
If you’re that desperate for a W go ahead & do your sack dance

I wanted to focus on the attack, redirect general discussion or  talking points do we could focus on any development 

There’s a New York thread if you need to go on a rabbit trail

lets stick to the tragedy please

thoughts below are not directed at joba or anyone specific, just general observations about the FFA 

I don’t ever feel unsafe in the subway system

others who grew up outside Manhattan  or lived in the car centric portions of the five boroughs seem to have a different experience 

I’ve always been a bike/bus/train/walk guy

I’m inured to the crazies, they’re just part of the charm

Also I’m certifiable + I have spent the last 7 years coming alongside street friends + have been through desperate times myself 

Where others respond with fear and vitriol aimed at the city or folks who don’t have homes, I lead with compassion and love

Some folks around here are uncomfortable when I talk about those things (yeah…criticizing someone for doing good…now THAT’S freaking amazing)

But there is nothing extraordinary about my lifestyle

I’m merely being human

And yet there are those crying to defund the police. Not sure why NYPD has lost it’s presence in the subway system (lack of funds? lack of officers? Etc), but what you referred to above proves they are needed! 
It wasn't lack of funds. The police disagreed with the mayor, so they basically stopped working. What a bunch of heroes. 
3500 NYPD in the subway system 34/7/365 rn

more cops are not the answer 

but there’s def a disconnect between presence and public safety

I'm not answering for BL... but while I think the subway is more dangerous and the need for vigilence is higher- I'm not particularly worried about taking it.
You aren't Asian, a woman, or a child either though.
both my kids are Asianed and my daughter is 13, headed to h.s. this fall

actually I have no idea what point joba is even attempting to make here

:lmao:

But yeah…while I don’t fear for my safety I’m constantly worried they’ll get smacked for no other reason than their eyes look different

WOW! 

so now acknowledging that crime is up in the subway makes one "scared" or a "fear monger"?

:lol:

you guys are adorable. 

speak facts, get labeled.

good friggin' lawd. 

i've been on these trains since i'm roughly 7 years old ... 'bout 45 years - come correct or leave it out. 

You aren't Asian, a woman, or a child either though.
wrong. I am a proud thai, 4 year old girl.

:confused:

my son is 14, commutes by subway daily, including today. 

my wife also travels on subway....but prefers bus because the driver at least is right there to help if something goes down. she and I have lived here since the mid 80s so have seen much, much worse days than this.

but no- I wouldn't let my 10yo daughter commute by herself. 

my point isn't that there isn't crime and issues down there and that hasn't gotten worse... it has. but if we were to believe the NY Post, it's the wild west where no matter where you are or when you're there, and you're at risk of getting attacked. that's not the NYC I see and experience. increased vigilance goes a long way.

please go with Tim to the Political thread with this.

massraider said:
It wasn't lack of funds. The police disagreed with the mayor, so they basically stopped working. What a bunch of heroes. 

I honestly don't know what the truth was... whether there was something from Mayor Bill that told the police to back off, or they took it on themselves to back off. tbh, I don't care; either way- they were gone and not doing their jobs, leaving the city to fend for itself for far too long.

they are back more visibly now- started the last couple months of Bill and continued increase under Adams. I do believe that the increased presence will see dividends in broken windows type stuff quickly, hopefully followed by a decrease of the brazen complacent stuff we've seen that generates the headlines. but the police aren't going to make mentally ill people sane all of sudden, or provide homes for the homeless that are camping out- no matter how many of them are walking the beat.

El Floppo said:

All of this is true for Chicago's el trains as well.

btw... getting back on topic...

watching local 24 news NY1 anchor interviewing an MTA rep... asked why the cameras were broken at this stop. "they weren't broken- they were functioning correctly"... anchor :confused: .... "it was the servers that were broken- not the cameras".  and then no acknowedgement that it didn't matter which part of it was broken- they didn't work... it was like he had won by Pat (anchor) not asking the right question.

El Floppo said:

I rode the train from the suburbs into Philly for the first time in two years last week.  Station was full of homeless people.  No police in sight.  Multiple entrances/exits now closed off.  Every non-chain store was closed.  Sad.

Then at lunch outside, two different homeless men approached the table and would not leave in a normal amount of time.  Definitely more aggressive.  

otb_lifer said:
WOW! 

so now acknowledging that crime is up in the subway makes one "scared" or a "fear monger"?

:lol:

you guys are adorable. 

speak facts, get labeled.

good friggin' lawd. 

i've been on these trains since i'm roughly 7 years old ... 'bout 45 years - come correct or leave it out. 
I’m not taking sides but wouldn’t it be intuitive that crime would be up from last year when much fewer people were riding the subways due to the pandemic and WFH?

ETA: I guess what I’m trying to say isn’t the increase in crime fairly meaningless from a relative perspective?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread