What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bad Morning In Brooklyn, Subway Attack (1 Viewer)

massraider said:
It wasn't lack of funds. The police disagreed with the mayor, so they basically stopped working. What a bunch of heroes. 

Exactly - the cops basically disappeared as they hated Deblosi/BLM protests.  I have actually seen an increased police presence this year since Adams has been mayor but criminals/bad actors and even just harmless people with mental issues had already taken advantage and it was  too late and damage was done to the system.  

I’m not taking sides but wouldn’t it be intuitive that crime would be up from last year when much fewer people were riding the subways due to the pandemic and WFH?

ETA: I guess what I’m trying to say isn’t the increase in crime fairly meaningless from a relative perspective?
I think its fair to say crime is up as well because there are more police out there catching the crimes. or at least it's the same amoutn of police out there, but just doing their job and catching the crimes now, which hasn't been the case for the last couple years.

but honestly- whatever spat is going on that led to OTB's post... dunno. 

BROOKLYN SUBWAY SHOOTING LATEST: MetroCard linked to suspected subway shooter Frank James was swiped in Brooklyn Tuesday night hours after attack, leading officials to believe he may still have been using transit system, sources say. 4.nbcny.com/detrBnw

some other news stuff:

On Wednesday morning, Mayor Eric Adams said James was no longer just a person of interest and would be considered the suspect and a wanted fugitive going forward.

Police now have probable cause to arrest James for the attempted murder of ten people in the subway, law enforcement sources told ABC News.

That determination was made overnight after more than 18 hours of investigation that included video, cell phone data and witness interviews.

The US Marshals have joined the search along with the NYPD, FBI, ATF and other agencies.

"There was a clear desire to create terror," said NYC Mayor Eric Adams Wednesday morning. "If you bring a smoke bomb or would you bring an automatic weapon with a gas mask and in a very methodical way injured - injured, attempt to harm - innocent New Yorkers, that is terror."

Officials confirmed that 10 of the victims, who range in age from 17 to 50, were shot, and five are listed in critical but stable condition. None of the injuries are considered life-threatening.

BROOKLYN SUBWAY SHOOTING LATEST: MetroCard linked to suspected subway shooter Frank James was swiped in Brooklyn Tuesday night hours after attack, leading officials to believe he may still have been using transit system, sources say. 4.nbcny.com/detrBnw
ugh. hopefully that helps them locate or track him with working cameras along the line.

I figured he'd have been long gone from the subway system. 

Had a discussion with a few veterans this morning. No head shots, no shots to center mass. Everyone shot in legs, arms, thumbs.

Not trying to minimize how traumatic yesterday was for the folks on that N train. He should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. But it seems like he was intentionally trying to wound not murder (nigh impossible in a smoke filled environment.)

Which, in a way, makes this seem even more bizarre. Anyway, hope they find him soon.

Not sure what’s more amusing. People pretending crime is no big deal, pretending it doesn’t exist or this idea that this dude is Jason Bourne. 

The guy is a putz. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a discussion with a few veterans this morning. No head shots, no shots to center mass. Everyone shot in legs, arms, thumbs.

Not trying to minimize how traumatic yesterday was for the folks on that N train. He should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. But it seems like he was intentionally trying to wound not murder (nigh impossible in a smoke filled environment.)

Which, in a way, makes this seem even more bizarre. Anyway, hope they find him soon.
didn't he throw the smoke bomb first? if so, hard to be accurate with anything if it's smokey like the videos show. seems like he was indiscriminately firing around the car and maybe not aiming at people per se..?

didn't he throw the smoke bomb first? if so, hard to be accurate with anything if it's smokey like the videos show. seems like he was indiscriminately firing around the car and maybe not aiming at people per se..?
yes to the smoke bomb

haven’t seen video of him shooting or seen anyone offer similar speculation 

we just thought it was odd there were no fatalities or even life threatening gunshot wounds

More will emerge. Seeing random sitings of him on the street with the cart before the shooting & on the wanted poster there’s pic of him emerging from a subway. There’s a lot we don’t know yet.

Honestly, I would just say the no center mass/no head shots was just luck. I doubt he was that skilled to only pick off legs and arms.

El Floppo said:
yes. they're coming back though.

what Joba is complaining about...

during Covid the police *poof* disappeared. homeless and mentally ill people started hanging out in the stations and started sleeping on trains (more than normal with the latter, which was always an issue). some of these people became more and more invasive/aggressive on the platforms without any police presence or any kind of rebuke. some of those aggressions were of the tabloid, NYC nightmare variety- people getting pushed onto the tracks, stabbed, whatever... seemingly with impunity.

Add that to non-insane, but generally troublemaking types also becoming more brazen invasive/aggressive and far less riders than normal- people who might otherwise intervene or at least record #### on their phones instead. also more quality of life stupid stuff going unenforced- pissing, pooping, smoking, blasting music... even if you're not getting attacked directly (which, while worse than the last 20 years, is really isolated but terrible incidents)- you're dealing with all of that now, making any trip into the subway worse than it has been

gone are the halcyon last 20 years where people just zoned out watching tiktok or screaming into their phones oblivious to the world around them without any kind of repercussions; crazy or criminals are back in much higher numbers- and occasionally targeting random non-crazy non-criminal city goers... or just stuck having to inhale cigarette smoke, puke, piss, poo, etc.

eta: bottom line- you have to be vigilant again, and pay attention to your surrounding and the people in them. or watch cat videos and pay the price.
Sounds glorious 

Honestly, I would just say the no center mass/no head shots was just luck. I doubt he was that skilled to only pick off legs and arms.
you’re probably correct

also, kind of hard to miss from point blank range - but he did, 23 times

not really worth debating

we don’t know enough yet to say one way or another

yes to the smoke bomb

haven’t seen video of him shooting or seen anyone offer similar speculation 

we just thought it was odd there were no fatalities or even life threatening gunshot wounds

More will emerge. Seeing random sitings of him on the street with the cart before the shooting & on the wanted poster there’s pic of him emerging from a subway. There’s a lot we don’t know yet.
I was thinking of the videos from the next car and the one from within the car.

I mean- you know how cramped a subway car is... 33 shots, 10 hits. but yeah- crazy nothing life threatening given the proximity and confines.

agreed. 

Sounds glorious 
I love it here. so, yes.

but also yes... the subways aren't necessarily my favorite place.

Or like many criminals, he thankfully has really bad aim. 

Really?  This guy is completely unhinged (even for a guy who would shot up a subway car).
Makes sense to me. I think he wanted to be locked up. From the little I have read, I don't think he wanted to kill a bunch of people and get away with it. 

beat me to it lol.

sorry for making light of this, folks.
it would less funny if their were fatalities 

everything about this guys points to delusional thinking (& I don’t mean like your brother in law who keeps saying he’s gonna get driveway pavers but never does)

this could have gone so much worse. grateful it’s over.

Makes sense to me. I think he wanted to be locked up. From the little I have read, I don't think he wanted to kill a bunch of people and get away with it. 
I briefly knew a guy at the VA, old timer in his 70s. Didn’t have a lot of good things happening in his life. One day he went into Manhattan and robbed a bank. They put a tracer in with the money. He took a cab after the robbery. They arrested him before he got home.

Not the same deal but it’s just hard to figure what Jedi thinking some folks are using.

Dude... I had this typed out 3 different times and decided against posting it :lol:
Seeing video of a bodega worker claiming he recognized the guy & phoned it in. Other reports saying he turned himself in by calling crimes stoppers.

Actually would be cool if a minimum wage deli guy was the hero & scored $50K. Print the legend.

Early Wednesday, police received a Crime Stoppers tip from someone who claimed they spotted James at a McDonald’s at East 6th Street and First Avenue in the East Village, law enforcement sources said. When cops arrived, he was no longer there, but they soon caught up to him a few blocks away at St. Mark’s Place and First Avenue, the sources said. 

James allegedly didn’t resist when police arrested him and he’s currently in custody at the 9th Precinct. 

that's from the NYPost... which includes a twitter post of somebody talking to the worker who claims to have seen him in his store's cameras and called the police leading to the arrest.

Early Wednesday, police received a Crime Stoppers tip from someone who claimed they spotted James at a McDonald’s at East 6th Street and First Avenue in the East Village, law enforcement sources said. When cops arrived, he was no longer there, but they soon caught up to him a few blocks away at St. Mark’s Place and First Avenue, the sources said. 

James allegedly didn’t resist when police arrested him and he’s currently in custody at the 9th Precinct. 

that's from the NYPost... which includes a twitter post of somebody talking to the worker who claims to have seen him in his store's cameras and called the police leading to the arrest.
is that Frank the bodega guy? big fan

So apparently this guy reentered the subway at around 915 yesterday at my subway stop in Park Slope. That just happens to be about the time I entered that subway stop since I had taken an early morning call from home. Checking text I think I got on subway at around 920. 

So apparently he called the tip line himself and said "I head you guys are looking for me, Ill be by the McDonalds". Cops went there and he wasnt at the McDonalds and they found him a few blocks away. Other tipsters like the guy in the link above also called in tips.

So apparently he called the tip line himself and said "I head you guys are looking for me, Ill be by the McDonalds". Cops went there and he wasnt at the McDonalds and they found him a few blocks away. Other tipsters like the guy in the link above also called in tips.
Sounds to me like they’re trying to save 50k

Sounds like Zack Dahhan, hero of the day, will pick up that $50K reward.

BTW - correction/admission of error 

I totally misunderstood his story the first time I heard him. He was installing a security camera in a bodega when he spotted the shooter on the camera and immediately made him to be the shooter.

1) shame on me for the unintentional but still slightly racist presumption, and 2) can we hire this dude’s company to fix the MTA security cameras?

the more I read... not exactly a criminal mastermind at work here.

he left a mountainous trail of evidence pointing directly to himself... so I wonder what the end game was? if the original intent was to kill himself, but the gun jammed? 

the more I read... not exactly a criminal mastermind at work here.

he left a mountainous trail of evidence pointing directly to himself... so I wonder what the end game was? if the original intent was to kill himself, but the gun jammed? 
Was enough of a Benny Fazio to elude NYPD for ~ 30 hours.

Tuesday night I watched a few of his videos. His circular logic is textbook schizophrenia - a lot of my fellow PTSD vets have it. Strange thought patterns that defy rational analysis, delusional, out of touch with societal norms. Schizophrenics don't start off antisocial but they struggle with social skills many of us take for granted: perception, assessment, response to interpersonal cues. Left untreated it gets worse over time. 

Was enough of a Benny Fazio to elude NYPD for ~ 30 hours.

Tuesday night I watched a few of his videos. His circular logic is textbook schizophrenia - a lot of my fellow PTSD vets have it. Strange thought patterns that defy rational analysis, delusional, out of touch with societal norms. Schizophrenics don't start off antisocial but they struggle with social skills many of us take for granted: perception, assessment, response to interpersonal cues. Left untreated it gets worse over time. 
it would be interesting to map out his time since the attack. I know they have him getting on that train near Redwes, but nothing between that and the capture in my hood.

I don't know that it necessarily takes a criminal mastermind to wander around NYC - after likely hunkering down somewhere to sleep- before getting spotted. 

and yeah- very clearly not the actions of somebody without internal struggles- psycho-emotional-physical. 

it would be interesting to map out his time since the attack. I know they have him getting on that train near Redwes, but nothing between that and the capture in my hood.

I don't know that it necessarily takes a criminal mastermind to wander around NYC - after likely hunkering down somewhere to sleep- before getting spotted. 

and yeah- very clearly not the actions of somebody without internal struggles- psycho-emotional-physical. 

If you have any kind of money at all it wouldn't take much to duck away in NYC.  Feel like maybe he intended to go out as suicide then just slept by a dumpster and went out for McD in the morning?  The real story of it is probably not as Jason Bourne as you would hope.

Users who are viewing this thread