What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What’s worse….a soccer match ending 0-0 or a twelve round boxing match going to decision? (1 Viewer)

Seriously?

this has to be a joke, or you’re just stirring the pot. .

Sorry but not much interested in jokes and certainly not in "stirring the pot". I asked when it goes from ties to elimination and several folks replied with the answer.
I’m just surprised that you didn’t know how the WC brackets work. Like dumbfounded. :shrug:

eta: and that’s meant as a compliment.

Question on the economics. With no commercials, what are the ways soccer generates revenue outside of the live audience in the stadiums?
Jersey ads (team sponsorships) are one way. You can look at a team and have no idea where they are from because you need a microscope to see the team logo but Emirates Fly Better and TikTok you can read from the nosebleeds.
A lot of the EPL teams have their own TV channels also, I get those on my IPTV.

The good news is there will be no more complaining about ties once the knockouts start. The bad news is that everyone complaining about ties this week will be complaining about penalty kicks next week.

New here?

No.
[/QU
Each team alternates 5 PKs. If after 5 it's tied, it's sudden death 1 at a time until one team makes it and the other misses.

Thanks.

Is that how it's been for a long time?
Yes. I do remember an NCAA final going like 8 over times with players barely being able to walk...last time they did that. MLS had it's infamous "shootout" at it's beginning...tie game led to players taking turns running at the GK 1 v 1 from a distance aways until somebody missed/made it. Shootout is probably what the tie-whiners would be happy with it, and tbh- it was kinda fun and a little more skill related than PKs.

No, because there is an actual winner.

Agreed.

I'm sure not everyone loves every rule so I'm sure there are some that don't like penalty kicks.

But that's a fundamentally different complaint than not easily breaking a tie.

Penalty shootouts serve the exact same purpose - to break a tie. In tournaments prior to 1970 or so, when a knockout game ended in a draw they would replay the entire game or decide the winner by “drawing lots.” 100% guaranteed there will be whining about this in the coming weeks, although it will likely be casuals and seasoned fans alike if history is a guide.

Penalty shootouts serve the exact same purpose - to break a tie. In tournaments prior to 1970 or so, when a knockout game ended in a draw they would replay the entire game or decide the winner by “drawing lots.” 100% guaranteed there will be whining about this in the coming weeks, although it will likely be casuals and seasoned fans alike if history is a guide.

Thanks. For the seasoned fans, what is their complaint with this way to break the tie?

30 minutes - 2 15 minute periods

Thanks.

So if the regular game ends in a tie, it's 2 more 15 minute periods and then the shootout?

In those 15 minute periods, do they play the full time or does the game end if one team scores during the overtime period?

Well they play extra time before PK shootout

But just a few minutes like the games we've seen thus far, right?

Or is there a longer amount of time before the shootout?

They play two additional 15 minute periods. In some tournaments each team gets an additional substitute but most players will have played the entire 120 minutes. The shootout happens if it’s still drawn after 120. In the 80s they briefly experimented with a sudden death goal rule and other variations but quickly went back to the current format of 90+30 then a shootout.

Thanks. For the seasoned fans, what is their complaint with this way to break the tie?

It can be dissatisfying to decide a World Cup champion based on what is essentially a coin toss. It’s an exciting event for fans but is extremely frustrating for the loser. That said, if you haven’t won after 120 you have to accept the result.

Thanks.

So if the regular game ends in a tie, it's 2 more 15 minute periods and then the shootout?

In those 15 minute periods, do they play the full time or does the game end if one team scores during the overtime period?

They used to end at first goal ("sudden death", that was renamed "golden goal"). Now they play the full extra 30 minutes no matter who scores.

Thanks.

They used to end at first goal ("sudden death", that was renamed "golden goal"). Now they play the full extra 30 minutes no matter who scores.
and for Joe - this is for elimination games

Regular season and these pool games do not go into overtime

They play two additional 15 minute periods. In some tournaments each team gets an additional substitute but most players will have played the entire 120 minutes. The shootout happens if it’s still drawn after 120. In the 80s they briefly experimented with a sudden death goal rule and other variations but quickly went back to the current format of 90+30 then a shootout.

That seems reasonable. Sort of a hybrid. Play extra time and then if still tied, a shootout.

No system is perfect and I'm sure some will complain about anything but that seems fine.

I know it's dangerous to underestimate complainers but I wouldn't expect it to be at all like everyone complaining about ties this week will be complaining about penalty kicks next week.

Instead of penalty kicks, every 5 minutes each team has to remove one player from the field.

I was just going to post this. Would be far superior to penalty kicks. If you started this after 90 with golden goal, most matches would be resolved by 30 minutes.

How I would solve the tie problem is like hockey - take a player away from each side. After the 15 min if it’s still tied, take away another. I would allow changes though since fatigue will be a big factor.

How I would solve the tie problem is like hockey - take a player away from each side. After the 15 min if it’s still tied, take away another. I would allow changes though since fatigue will be a big factor.
I think the problem with this idea is that managers would most likely take off attacking players first followed by midfielders so I don't know how much offense that generates.

I think the problem with this idea is that managers would most likely take off attacking players first followed by midfielders so I don't know how much offense that generates.

The '94 World Cup final at the Rose Bowl was 100 degrees at kickoff. If you start removing players from the field, its going to get ugly pretty quickly. The hockey situation is somewhat comparable but they have rolling substitutions throughout the game, they play 30 minutes less and have more breaks, and they're covering a much smaller area (albeit with half the players.) The idea of removing players has been bandied about for years but I think in practice it would be much worse than the current situation, for the exact reason you give here.

“Aaron Rodgers lines up under center as the entire play clock winds down. He surveys the defense and doesn’t like what he sees and calls timeout. We’ll be back after these commercials.”

ED pill commercial
Car commercial
Taco Bell commercial
Papa Johns commercial

“And we’re back. Rodgers uses the entire play clock and we have some movement on the offensive line as flags fly. That will be a false start. We’ll use this pause in the action to remind you that tonight on CBS is the premier of NCIS:Boise starring that guy from Melrose Place, maybe? I dunno. Anyway. Rodgers back under center, play clock at 1 and the ball is snapped. Rodgers throws to Lazard and it’s incomplete. Lazard is pleading for an interference call even though nobody touched him to no avail. That was a scintillating 8 seconds of action! And that will bring us to the two minute warning. We’ll be back after this.”

ED pill commercial
Under Armour commercial
Nike commercial
Ford truck commercial

“We’re back. Play clock down to 1 and the defense calls timeout as they inexplicably have 12 men on the field. We’ll be back after this…”
I'm a fan of both sports, but this can easily go both ways.

Euro team has possession in their half.

Pass back, pass back, pass back to goalie. Pass forward, pass forward, pass back, pass back, pass back to goalie (do this 2-3x's) for roughly 3 minutes of game time.

Finally they press forward with a run down the sideline. Ball is misplayed out of bounds on sideline. 2 more minutes.

South American team passes it in from sideline after the thrower wanders forward about 10 yards. Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, turns it over in the midfield.

Euro team presses forward and has a nice look, but.....OHHHH he was offiside because his left pinky was beyond the hip of the last defender prior to the pass.

Goalie boots it to midfield where a series of headers are exchanged back and forth. Then a Euro player goes down like he was shot by a sniper on a minor foul and lays on the ground for 2 minutes with his hands covering his face even though the contact was to the lower back. Finally gets up while the SA team argues with the ref in 3 different languages with lots of gesturing and nothing comes of it other than a play on at midfield for the Euro team.

And we've played 20 minutes without a single attempt on goal and there is some unknown amount of time left in the half.

“Aaron Rodgers lines up under center as the entire play clock winds down. He surveys the defense and doesn’t like what he sees and calls timeout. We’ll be back after these commercials.”

ED pill commercial
Car commercial
Taco Bell commercial
Papa Johns commercial

“And we’re back. Rodgers uses the entire play clock and we have some movement on the offensive line as flags fly. That will be a false start. We’ll use this pause in the action to remind you that tonight on CBS is the premier of NCIS:Boise starring that guy from Melrose Place, maybe? I dunno. Anyway. Rodgers back under center, play clock at 1 and the ball is snapped. Rodgers throws to Lazard and it’s incomplete. Lazard is pleading for an interference call even though nobody touched him to no avail. That was a scintillating 8 seconds of action! And that will bring us to the two minute warning. We’ll be back after this.”

ED pill commercial
Under Armour commercial
Nike commercial
Ford truck commercial

“We’re back. Play clock down to 1 and the defense calls timeout as they inexplicably have 12 men on the field. We’ll be back after this…”

Pass back, pass back, pass back to goalie. Pass forward, pass forward, pass back, pass back, pass back to goalie (do this 2-3x's) for roughly 3 minutes of game time.

Finally they press forward with a run down the sideline. Ball is misplayed out of bounds on sideline. 2 more minutes.

South American team passes it in from sideline after the thrower wanders forward about 10 yards. Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, turns it over in the midfield.

Euro team presses forward and has a nice look, but.....OHHHH he was offiside because his left pinky was beyond the hip of the last defender prior to the pass.

Goalie boots it to midfield where a series of headers are exchanged back and forth. Then a Euro player goes down like he was shot by a sniper on a minor foul and lays on the ground for 2 minutes with his hands covering his face even though the contact was to the lower back. Finally gets up while the SA team argues with the ref in 3 different languages with lots of gesturing and nothing comes of it other than a play on at midfield for the Euro team.

And we've played 20 minutes without a single attempt on goal and there is some unknown amount of time left in the half.

I'd rather watch any of this than seemingly endless commercials. The thing with soccer is that an opportunity can unfold at any time.

Of course there are going to be scoreless, boring clunkers. Every sport has their equivalent of Jets vs. Browns on a Thursday night. I have not seen a game come close to this in the World Cup so far though. The 1-1 tie between Spain/Germany yesterday was probably the most tense match so far. Such a great game with tons of great plays, and it was a tie!

ED pill commercial
Car commercial
Taco Bell commercial
Papa Johns commercial

ED pill commercial
Under Armour commercial
Nike commercial
Ford truck commercial

I know you are not a basher of the sport, so I think this is a fair view, especially what it was responding too.

I do want to post one short video that I found very interesting that can help fans understand what is going on during the

"Pass back, pass back, pass back to goalie. Pass forward, pass forward, pass back, pass back, pass back to goalie (do this 2-3x's) for roughly 3 minutes of game time." phase.

Give this a quick watch, it may help make watching that typically boring part of the game a little more interesting

https://twitter.com/CarlonCarpenter/status/1596429825597661185?s=20&t=_h_tkYN6vZApgL1lTSMTZw

ED pill commercial
Car commercial
Taco Bell commercial
Papa Johns commercial

ED pill commercial
Under Armour commercial
Nike commercial
Ford truck commercial

I'd rather watch any of this than seemingly endless commercials. The thing with soccer is that an opportunity can unfold at any time.

Of course there are going to be scoreless, boring clunkers. Every sport has their equivalent of Jets vs. Browns on a Thursday night. I have not seen a game come close to this in the World Cup so far though. The 1-1 tie between Spain/Germany yesterday was probably the most tense match so far. Such a great game with tons of great plays, and it was a tie!
Right, but the idea that the worst stretch of a viewing experience is somehow the crux of the entire experience is disingenuous. Futbol and American Football can both be very boring or very exciting depending on where you are in the game. Watching guys fake injuries is worse to a lot of people than commercials because at least a commercial is intended to entertain while some Brazilian d-bag is simply trying to fool the refs by acting like a baby.

Watching guys fake injuries is worse to a lot of people than commercials because at least a commercial is intended to entertain while some Brazilian d-bag is simply trying to fool the refs by acting like a baby.

god bless DVR;s, because watching either sport delayed can allow fans to skip past both commercials and floppers.

Watching a full NFL game using a 30 second skip can be finished in very very little time. I use it for games I don't have the time or interest to sit for 3+ hours for.

ED pill commercial
Car commercial
Taco Bell commercial
Papa Johns commercial

ED pill commercial
Under Armour commercial
Nike commercial
Ford truck commercial

Right, but the idea that the worst stretch of a viewing experience is somehow the crux of the entire experience is disingenuous. Futbol and American Football can both be very boring or very exciting depending on where you are in the game. Watching guys fake injuries is worse to a lot of people than commercials because at least a commercial is intended to entertain while some Brazilian d-bag is simply trying to fool everyone by acting like a baby.

Agreed, but the worst stretch in American sports regarding the almost endless commercial timeouts turns me off from watching completely. I understand that something like flopping may do the same for the non-soccer folks, but its not comparable. Commercials are guaranteed. Excessive flopping isn't and when it happens, it tends to not delay the game that long.

god bless DVR;s, because watching either sport delayed can allow fans to skip past both commercials and floppers.

Watching a full NFL game using a 30 second skip can be finished in very very little time. I use it for games I don't have the time or interest to sit for 3+ hours for.
This is every game. Everyone knows that old nugget about 10 minutes of actual action in an NFL game.

If you are not watching an NFL game with a group of friends, it's painful. Red Zone Channel isn't the best thing since chocolate flavored cocaine for no reason. It's because it cuts out the 90% of NFL slowing everything down.

one thing to acknowledge is that soccer is LOADED with commercials, especially in league play. They just don't have "commercial interruptions".

I just saw online that on average, an NFL game has 63 minutes of commercials, the majority of which interrupt the game.

More people in America just watched a relatively meaningless group stage soccer game than any World Series game this year (or last year, or the year before, or the year before that...)
If the World Series happened every 4 years then this statement wouldn't be true. You are comparing apples to oranges.

More people in America just watched a relatively meaningless group stage soccer game than any World Series game this year (or last year, or the year before, or the year before that...)
If the World Series happened every 4 years then this statement wouldn't be true. You are comparing apples to oranges.

I was not making a comparison. I was stating a cold hard fact to counter the "no one in America ever watches soccer" theory that was posted in this thread and subsequently deleted once the poster realized how silly the comment was.

That being said, I am not convinced you would see baseballs popularity go up if the World Series was held every 4 years. In fact my guess is that the opposite would happen as that would do nothing to fix their age demographic problem and would like exasperate it even more.

Last edited:
Watching guys fake injuries is worse to a lot of people than commercials because at least a commercial is intended to entertain while some Brazilian d-bag is simply trying to fool the refs by acting like a baby.

I now watch a lot of games with the recap. They’re like 15 minutes long and they show every play.

ED pill commercial
Car commercial
Taco Bell commercial
Papa Johns commercial

ED pill commercial
Under Armour commercial
Nike commercial
Ford truck commercial

Right, but the idea that the worst stretch of a viewing experience is somehow the crux of the entire experience is disingenuous. Futbol and American Football can both be very boring or very exciting depending on where you are in the game. Watching guys fake injuries is worse to a lot of people than commercials because at least a commercial is intended to entertain while some Brazilian d-bag is simply trying to fool everyone by acting like a baby.

Agreed, but the worst stretch in American sports regarding the almost endless commercial timeouts turns me off from watching completely. I understand that something like flopping may do the same for the non-soccer folks, but its not comparable. Commercials are guaranteed. Excessive flopping isn't and when it happens, it tends to not delay the game that long.

Flopping is an assault on the actual game. Commercials are awful but they don’t actuall effect the game. Pretending to be hurt is a bannable offense.

Anybody, including anybody reading this who has ever pretended to be hurt is a worthless human and should be publicity stoned to death.

Users who are viewing this thread