What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

THANK YOU.

I loved that movie and don't care if eight million critics hate it with the intensity of eight million burning suns. It's a wonderfully done, sort-of escapist film for those of us not hardened to but still conscious of international poverty. The way it tells the backstory of him growing up and the grimness that it entails doesn't deserve anything but a happy ending when all other things are considered.

(But I also hold the opinion that there's no need to see senseless death and squalor and poverty in art simply to assuage a Western guilty conscience and stimulate activism, so there's that, too.)

THANK YOU.

I loved that movie and don't care if eight million critics hate it with the intensity of eight million burning suns. It's a wonderfully done, sort-of escapist film for those of us not hardened to but still conscious of international poverty. The way it tells the backstory of him growing up and the grimness that it entails doesn't deserve anything but a happy ending when all other things are considered.

(But I also hold the opinion that there's no need to see senseless death and squalor and poverty in art simply to assuage a Western guilty conscience, so there's that, too.)
I am just not a fan of Boyle's flicks in general.

THANK YOU.

(But I also hold the opinion that there's no need to see senseless death and squalor and poverty in art simply to assuage a Western guilty conscience, so there's that, too.)

No Trainspotting? Loved that one. Also Sunshine. And 127 Hours.

OK, I guess I like him. But hoo-boy, did I hate that one.

THANK YOU.

It's been since the 90s for Trainspotting. I didn't like it then, but it's one I need to revisit. I really liked 2/3rds of Sunshine, and really like 28 Days Later, but that's about it.

So who else aside from Tim drafted Sixpence None the Richer

LOL. One thing, though. Sixpence None the Richer took what was a little-known, unbelievably good song and Americanized it and democratized it enough to put in the "Oh, that song" *grumble* lexicon, which is quite a feat considering what Lee Mavers likely wrote the song about and how it was received on its first go-round.

It's still one of the best composed and performed pop songs to come out of the U.K. from that period, period, and Sixpence's version nor legacy can't really ruin that. Well, actually, it can. Public perception and reality often meet. What am I talking about?

But I'm laughing because Tim thought that Sixpence None the Richer was British. That's so perfect.

:lmao:

I still love all the songs I ended up with on my 31, but one slight lesson I learned is that even after cutting it down to my official 31, I should listen to my playlist many times. The last couple nights after listening to the day's mix, I fire up my playlist on random starting at the song that is coming up for the next day's list. Tomorrow is one that in hindsight should be a bit higher, my #3 probably should be my #1, things like that.
Don't mean to brag, but my playlist is perfect.

My daughter updates her "Happy Mix" every once in a while, so we can reorder the playlist so her favorite songs are at the start of the mix in order of preference. Her current top 10:

SOS (ABBA)
Birdhouse in Your Soul
Sir Duke
Wellerman
Take Me Home, Country Roads
Don't You Want Me
You Can't Hurry Love
Here Comes the Sun
Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
Don't Stop Believin'

Proud Papa moment was when I played The Supremes version of You Can't Hurry Love because the Phil Collins one was on there, and her reaction: "oh, that's a lot better!"

Totally whiffed on Sweet - made me smile seeing them selected. Ballroom Blitz is a fun song.
I've heard this song before, but before 3 minutes ago couldn't tell you anything beyond that. **heart** By far the best new to me so far.
And it's based on an actual event.
I was witness to this at a show as a kid. 39 year old MAC thinks the lead singer of Eve 6 didn't deserve that fate, but there's no convincing 15 year old MAC that guy didn't deserve a good bottling. He laughed...and laughed...and laughed...and...

LOL. One thing, though. Sixpence None the Richer took what was a little-known, unbelievably good song and Americanized it and democratized it enough to put in the "Oh, that song" *grumble* lexicon, which is quite a feat considering what Lee Mavers likely wrote the song about and how it was received on its first go-round.

It's still one of the best composed and performed pop songs to come out of the U.K. from that period, period, and Sixpence's version nor legacy can't really ruin that. Well, actually, it can. Public perception and reality often meet. What am I talking about?

But I'm laughing because Tim thought that Sixpence None the Richer was British. That's so perfect.

I didn't know until your post that they covered that song. I'm not sure whether to :shrug: or :bag: that.

I didn't know until your post that they covered that song. I'm not sure whether to :shrug: or :bag: that.

I would say stealth :ninja:

It's good that you don't know it. That means you don't have familiarity with late 90s/early 00s teen guy/girl movies, which are painfully awkward and dated in retrospect.

By awkward I mean because all teen romance is awkward, on screen or off, and dated because nobody that's a teenager dates anymore or even spends time away from their family to have a dating life, from what I've noticed.

I award you this.

Songs On My Original List of 75 that Missed the Cut

Just Like Heaven - The Cure (Sullie)

Ballroom Blitz - Sweet (Mister CIA) - or maybe it was one of the other famous Sweet songs. My brain is too fried to remember.

Missing - Everything But The Girl (Eephus)

Songs Not On That List But I Still Love Them

Fairytale Of New York - The Pogues (Don Quixote)

Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me - George Michael & Elton John (Y23Fan)

No Matter What – Badfinger (simsarge)

I Will Follow - U2 (Mt. Man)

Paper Planes - M.I.A. (rockaction) - a bunch of us old-timers used to swap annual best-of CDs and this was on my 2007 entry (before it broke big, ahem). One of the recipients trashed it. Not gonna name him, but he has a thread about both everything and nothing.

Love is a Stranger – Eurythmics (Ilov80s)

New to Me Songs That I Loved

The Killing Of Georgie (Part 1 & 2) - Rod Stewart (simey) - OK, I didn't really "love" it, but the story hooked me and kept me tuned in till the end. Kind of like that Lifetime movie you get sucked into.

Perseverance – Terrorvision (titusbramble)

Are 'Friends' Electric? - Tubeway Army (KarmaPolice) - that's twice in two days for me. Loved both of them. I had heard the song before, but it was a cover by Rosetta Stone (aka Rosetta Clone because they sound just like Sisters of Mercy).

Starry Eyes - The Records (Westerberg)

Last edited:

I totally forgot there was a connection there. I think I've scrubbed that cover from my memory.

It seems to NOT be about heroin.

Songs On My Original List of 75 that Missed the Cut

Just Like Heaven - The Cure (Sullie)

Ballroom Blitz - Sweet (Mister CIA) - or maybe it was one of the other famous Sweet songs. My brain is too fried to remember.

Missing - Everything But The Girl (Eephus)

Songs Not On That List But I Still Love Them

Fairytale Of New York - The Pogues (Don Quixote)

Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me - George Michael & Elton John (Y23Fan)

No Matter What – Badfinger (simsarge)

I Will Follow - U2 (Mt. Man)

Paper Planes - M.I.A. (rockaction) - a bunch of us old-timers used to swap annual best-of CDs and this was on my 2007 entry (before it broke big, ahem). One of the recipients trashed it. Not gonna name him, but he has a thread about both everything and nothing.

Love is a Stranger – Eurythmics (Ilov80s)

New to Me Songs That I Loved

The Killing Of Georgie (Part 1 & 2) - Rod Stewart (simey) - OK, I didn't really "love" it, but the story hooked me and kept me tuned into the end. Kind of like that Lifetime movie that you get sucked into.

Perseverance – Terrorvision (titusbramble)

Are 'Friends' Electric? - Tubeway Army (KarmaPolice) - that's twice in two days for me. Loved both of them. I had heard the song before, but it was a cover by Rosetta Stone (aka Rosetta Clone because they sound just like Sisters of Mercy).

Starry Eyes - The Records (Westerberg)
Awesome! glad you liked it. I think we have always been pretty close as far as music taste goes in these various drafts though.

As far as known to me, still outstanding, and always are/always have been, you've got Franz Ferndiand and "Take Me Out,"
Franz Ferdinand and the rest of the dance-punk/pp-revival scene (Interpol, The Bravery, Death From Above, Kasabian, etc,) were a lifeline to me when I was having some sort of 1/3 life crisis in the early aughts. The one night a week I could get out of the house and dance like I was 20 again kept me from going insane. Such great memories.

@Hawks64 ......Long Distance Run Around.....its a workout, but I generally like epic proggy stuff. Yes is about as epic proggy as you can get.
Oh, come on!
Mr R reports that there is a Rush song that starts on one album and finishes on the next. (Cygnus X-1)

Glorioso!
KP reports that Mr. R is now disinvited from the next "everything else" countdown.
You have no idea.

Also, hold this beer, hoser.

My daughter updates her "Happy Mix" every once in a while, so we can reorder the playlist so her favorite songs are at the start of the mix in order of preference. Her current top 10:

SOS (ABBA)
Birdhouse in Your Soul
Sir Duke
Wellerman
Take Me Home, Country Roads
Don't You Want Me
You Can't Hurry Love
Here Comes the Sun
Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
Don't Stop Believin'

Proud Papa moment was when I played The Supremes version of You Can't Hurry Love because the Phil Collins one was on there, and her reaction: "oh, that's a lot better!"

I love this playlist

THANK YOU.

Shallow Grave just went up on HBO Max. I don't recall it being available streaming for a long while

Users who are viewing this thread