What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****Official The Last of Us HBO TV thread***** Pro clicker rights in here! (2 Viewers)

VIDEO: The Road - Ending Scene (Full HD) Feb 25, 2017

"Are you 'carrying the fire'? Can I come with you?"

"Yes, you can."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zaoC_RhpIA

VIDEO: The Leftovers - 01x06 - Nora Meets Holy Wayne Jul 20, 2016

"Nora, I don't give a #### about you. I've already got your money, and I'm #####ing exhausted. You've lost someone, yes?.... Someones. And you believe that you will always feel that pain. And if it starts to slip away, you you seek it out again, don't you? You won't let it kill you, but you won't kill yourself. For whoever is joined with all of the living, there is hope. Surely, a live dog is better than a dead lion..... Hope. It's your weakness. You want it gone because you don't deserve it..... Nora, you do deserve hope. I've seen my own death, and it's coming upon me very soon, so this is your one chance, your only chance, and the question remains the same....."

"Will I forget them?"

"Never."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYG8H-sfks

It's evident that Neil Druckmann took a lot of his core premise from Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

There's a clear hard contrast between Man ( the world before) and Boy ( the world after) that recurs in TLOU with Joel ( again, the old world, the lingering resentment for what was lost) and Ellie ( the manifestation of hope)

Joel doesn't want to find hope. He doesn't want to be near anything towards hope. He failed to save his own daughter. He cannot emotionally tolerate risking that again, to love someone, to invest in someone, to let someone inside and choose vulnerability, only to see them snatched away again. This is part of the purpose of the Tess character. She's his partner, but she's also not. Joel understands he can't function alone, but he detaches from her so he doesn't have to feel the pain of when the inevitable happens. And when it does, he is able to leave her behind.

But Tess was not completely isolated out from Joel's heart, because he held onto his word to her, that he'd protect Ellie and take her forward and to perceived safety.

The "cargo" that Joel is carrying is not Ellie, it's his inability to forgive himself. Just like Nora in The Leftovers. But Wayne, the egomaniac and narcissist is both a grifter and the only source of truth. That moving forward is not a betrayal, because it's fundamentally different from moving on. You don't have to move on, because real pain never heals, but you do need to move forward, because refusing that is to deny the value of what you loved in the first place.

Just like Man needed to pass on for Boy to move forward in The Road, Joel will very likely see the end of his arc when he understands he doesn't need to move on to love Ellie like a daughter.

But Wayne lied to Nora. She doesn't deserve it. We are not entitled to our grief anymore than we are entitled to our love in this life. And Joel doesn't deserve it. And, based on the practical writing convention and foreshadowing, that will become true when the chickens finally come home to roost. The lawless former version of Joel, the drifter, murderer and looter, will have to eventually pay for those sins.

Great episode, probably my favorite thus far. Reminded me of "The Road" which is a personal apocalyptic favorite.

One question, I don't understand why the cannibals wanted revenge so badly. They were the agressors, kind of started the whole thing by attacking Joel. I know the writers were trying to make the point of skewed values, but still didn't quite work for me on that level. Regardless, great episode.

Is the video game that dark with the cannibal meat locker etc?

Yep

As a matter of fact in the game Ellie wakes up in the cage watching someone butchering a corpse.

That entire episode was pretty much straight from the game. They did skip a section of the game where infected start bum rushing the shelter David and Ellie are in and they have to work together to kill all the infected.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if there is somebody on YouTube showing clips from the game that coincide with the weekly version of the show? I’d like to watch something like that.

I’ll never play the game but am interested in how it matches up.

I feel like I've seen a lot of people say Bella isn't a good actress but either they are crazy or I'm crazy.

I think she's been solid, her dialogue has been a bit inconsistent...but that's not her fault. The dialogue/acting in the video game-mall episode made it the worst episode to date IMHO.

Great episode, probably my favorite thus far. Reminded me of "The Road" which is a personal apocalyptic favorite.
Yea felt the same way. They hit all the tenants of darkness last night in about a 5 minute span and it worked perfectly. Bummed there is only one left.

Way better episode than last week. I had a feeling this group might last a little longer but I guess I was wrong.

The girl and rest of the group wanting revenge made sense to me. Yes, they attacked them, but they are a warped family unit that protects their own so they’ll see it that way and I’m sure the two guys who scattered probably told a different story when back.

One question, I don't understand why the cannibals wanted revenge so badly. They were the agressors, kind of started the whole thing by attacking Joel. I know the writers were trying to make the point of skewed values, but still didn't quite work for me on that level. Regardless, great episode.

Yes. This was the high point of the game for me. Not because of the cannibal meat locker part, just that it was a really dark and well-done section of the game.

I just watched Episode 1 a couple days ago. The shot for shot references to the video game are incredible to me. So well done.

Does anybody know if there is somebody on YouTube showing clips from the game that coincide with the weekly version of the show? I’d like to watch something like that.

I’ll never play the game but am interested in how it matches up.

I follow IGN on Twitter and they put up side-by-side clips of how well they match up. Here's one from a couple episodes ago:

Longer version:

Screenshots from the most recent episode:

My guess (and what I'm hoping for) is that the finale will be 90 minutes, like the opener, just to fit everything in. (It's the same night as the Oscars, so I wonder if HBO will release it early like it did for the Super Bowl.)

I will say without giving away anything Bella's performance last night has me excited for how they will incorporate part II for season two.

Any predictions from the non-game folks for the finale? I swear I won't spoil anything. I'm just curious how everyone that didn't play the game thinks the season is going to end.

Any predictions from the non-game folks for the finale? I swear I won't spoil anything. I'm just curious how everyone that didn't play the game thinks the season is going to end.
I'm sort of curious about what % of the viewing audience simultaneously a) didn't play the game and b) don't know how the game ends.

Obviously most people haven't played the game, and the story clearly works just fine in the television medium. But I always thought that TLOU was well-known enough that a fair number of people would know some of the story beats even if they didn't play it. The ending was hugely controversial, after all, and got written about quite a bit.

(I hope "the ending was controversial among gamers" isn't a spoiler. That doesn't exactly narrow things down. Also, if you think the ending of TLOU1 was controversial, let me tell you about a little game called TLOU2 . . . )

I have to say I was very surprised to see that season finale is already next week. Seems like a quick season. I guess I assume Joel and Ellie continue on their quest to meet up with the fireflies and run into more trouble whether it be infected or humans trying to kill them. 🙂

No clue. Felt like that could have been the end of the season right there.

I don't even know what they are supposed to be doing right now. Going back to where the brother is to tell them the Fireflies left the place he sent them to?

I'm sort of curious about what % of the viewing audience simultaneously a) didn't play the game and b) don't know how the game ends.

Obviously most people haven't played the game, and the story clearly works just fine in the television medium. But I always thought that TLOU was well-known enough that a fair number of people would know some of the story beats even if they didn't play it. The ending was hugely controversial, after all, and got written about quite a bit.

(I hope "the ending was controversial among gamers" isn't a spoiler. That doesn't exactly narrow things down. Also, if you think the ending of TLOU1 was controversial, let me tell you about a little game called TLOU2 . . . )

I own the game and never played past the tutorial basically, and I have no clue how any of it ends. I don't think anyone who didn't play the game read about the ending or has any idea (unless they read spoilers once the show started).

I honestly am in the small section of the Venn Diagram that has no idea. Don't remember reading anything about this game at all. Just not into games or gaming.

If it's really just a season of a show ending, I would guess some cliffhanger where Ellie is at death's door.

But if it's really the end of the game, then probably something more final and sinister. I was thinking it would be "cool" if Ellie actually had a sort of "long Covid" of the disease and suddenly turned into a clicker or something.

I honestly am in the small section of the Venn Diagram that has no idea. Don't remember reading anything about this game at all. Just not into games or gaming.

If it's really just a season of a show ending, I would guess some cliffhanger where Ellie is at death's door.

But if it's really the end of the game, then probably something more final and sinister. I was thinking it would be "cool" if Ellie actually had a sort of "long Covid" of the disease and suddenly turned into a clicker or something.
Yes, the finale is supposed to match the ending of the game.

I also think the subset of people who know the ending without playing the game is VERY low. People who don't play video games generally don't care how a game ends.

I don't think you are in a small section. Pretty much everyone who I know who are watching (myself including) have never played the game nor have any clue how it plays out. I only watched it because of the great reviews prior to the season starting. But man, that last episode was great and looking forward to how they wrap up this season.

I'll echo @Leeroy Jenkins response below, I have no clue what the plan is right now so can't even posit a guess.
Never played the game, don't know how it ends.
I don't even know what they are supposed to be doing right now.
This is me, I'm just along for the ride, big fan of the post apocalyptical genre. If I had a guess, I'd say one of them gets killed OR people just blow off Ellie and don't do anything with the potential of her being able to provide protection/cure for what's happening because they are too occupied with just staying alive OR FEDRA comes back into the picture (because they've been absent for a while) grab Ellie and lock her away because with her ability, it would kind of make them not needed.

Ok I guess that's 3 guesses. I'll revert back to, "I have no idea."

I have no clue either. Never played the game and have zero clue on the finale. I think this may be my last post in here until the finale as I could easily see someone slipping.

Users who are viewing this thread