What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OG Members Check In (1 Viewer)

I am trying to for the life of me remember when I first started. I know 2000 for sure but can't say that when I started or if it is just when my broken memory can pinpoint a memory tied to a time. I can't because my memory is not so good in my old age. I do think 1999 sounds right.

A single young 20's kid living in either So or Nor Cal (depending on when I actually did start). Working at a bank able to play in an rec basketball or softball game.

Turned into

An old now upper 40's living in the burbs of Chicago, married with 3 young kids. Working as a mortgage broker and with a ridiculous number of ailments and desperate need to lose weight.

I do know that I stumbled in here when I first started playing fantasy football and having no real idea of what I was doing. I barely understood the concept as my friends had played rotisserie baseball for a long time and I could never quite grasp the concept for some reason. Wait, so how do they play against each other when it is a make belief team? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I somewhere migrated over to the FFA. A few years down the line I ended up in a few years of being unemployed/underemployed after losing my job in banking in 2007 and let's just say the next few years were a little rough for the financial services industry. I spent a whole lot of time in the FFA... I will admit too much. In fact, many of us did. I would venture a guess and say that if we had harnessed the amount of brainpower, talent, ability, knowledge, etc of the FFA in those days and directed them towards the good of humanity, world hunger would have been solved. The amount of people that "That's what I do, I know stuff and post in the FFA" was staggering. That time frame was likely the golden age of the forum as the way the innerwebs has evolved seems to have left message boards behind so most of those here, I would suspect, are older versus younger and likely not as many people as there once was.

Some awesome stuff has come out of this group that really there is no business of happening. Back in those days, I did spend an awful lot of time battling it out in the political/social issues with those who thought different than me. Sometimes even in a heated way. Then you end up meeting them in person.... and you are laughing, drinking and hugging like you grew up in the same neighborhood together as kids and are just happy to see each other.

Most recently for me in going through one of the hardest times in my life with my wife being diagnosed with cancer and starting her fight I felt I needed an outlet just to let loose my thoughts and feelings and fears and everything. I turned to here. My thing was just to get it out and I underestimated the amount of support I would get from it. Tons of responses in the thread but a silly amount of private messages offering not just the emotional support of being a good friend but things from wanting to send money to tapping into their resources of people they know to get help with the cancer to 'anything you need'. The support I have got from here has been a true and real help.

There is something special about this place for us OG's. That is why we are still around I think,

Yea, but do you remember the gnashing of teeth when there was a message board change and all the OG 3 digit and lower ended up with high numbers like all the plebs.

Oh yes. The gnashings of teeth all sort of blur together but I definitely remember that one. ;)
I did lose my low number (but for the life of me can't remember what that number was) but I was a 3 digitity. Now, I have to mingle with the masses. It still hurts.

Started fantasy football in 2004 but did not get very serious about it. I began lurking here occasionally in 2005 and 06 and joined in 2007. The first time I posted, I got reprimanded for posting my question in the wrong forum.

I lost access to my original Beef Ravioli sometime back when the site had some type of update. Tried to reset my password but the site said it didn’t recognize any of my emails. I reluctantly started over.

The only person I’ve met in real life is @pollardsvision. When I moved to NOVA in the summer of 19, I drove two hours to his hot dog restaurant. When he walked by me, I asked if he was pollard and he got a big grin. He asked who I was and I said Beef Ravioli. We never asked for real names. We didn’t need to. It was a moment.

I check the FFA daily.

Who was the poster that posted a foot race with one of his office mates? That gave me a good laugh! I believe one of them was smoking right before the sprint.

Sonny lubbick blow up doll was good peeps too. He had ins at Del Mar. he took my 7 year old daughter into the paddock during the prerace shenanigans so she could meet the jockeys and pet the horses. Good dude
Had a chance to hang out with him when he came through Chicago. Great guy and he loves to have fun. So weird he just disappeared off the radar. :(
I couldn't even entice him to go to Del Mar on opening day. He never even replied. :moneybag: jacket will be missed.
We have a group do a Del Mar weekend every year. Hope to do it again. Usually in August. Beer on me

Your last statement isn't exactly true, though. The way this forum is moderated is way different than it used to be. I like the way it is now - but let's not pretend it's run the same as it was 20 years ago.

I don't think anyone is pretending. As I said, what is acceptable in 2023 in society is different than than what was acceptable in 2003. So the bar is different. But it's run pretty much the same way.

I'm going to speak now as small business owner to small business owner.

What would probably be helpful was if you just ignored the criticism you get about changes you've made. There are good people on these forums. There are also toxic people who want their own personal little clubhouse for their cliques and "in group" at your expense and don't care if they drive away subscribers and thus are stealing food off your children's plates.

But what will be more effective is uplifting the posters you see who bring good value to the community.

( I am excluding myself from that part of the discussion and from any future engagement on that matter. I don't require external validation. Also it would just increase the number of personal attacks I get and the number of personal attacks you get in total. But the core issue to this is most other people won't brush it off like I do, they'll just leave. )

For example,

@IvanKaramazov

@Chadstroma

@Shula-holic

@Boston

@Snotbubbles

@Ditkaless Wonders

Are some of the guys I see who are consistently high value quality posters who add positive and thoughtful discourse to the community. ( I think someone said Ditka is very ill, which is unfortunate, I wish him well and wish him good health moving forward)

You see guys doing the "right thing" and doing right by the community, then point them out. Cite them as examples to follow. Invite them into threads. Send them a free T Shirt. PM them occasionally and tell them how much you appreciate them.

Reward your good people. Punish and massacre the toxic ones. Don't ask for civility. Enforce your will when people become unreasonable. If they hate you for it? Well, apparently, they don't care enough about being civil enough to ensure your children have food on the table, so why care about what they think about you?

I've said this before, from a small business owner perspective - You can't feel bad about firing someone if their behavior indicates that they've already quit. There are people who simply quit on being civil productive elements in this community. So if they need to be "fired", that's simply confirming how much open disdain they have that you are just trying to earn a living.

But again, uplift, acknowledge and reward your best contributors. Send @Faust some of those hot sauces from @Hot Sauce Guy or something like that. You'll get more mileage that way in setting effective boundaries in the kind of tone you want for this place.

Thanks @GordonGekko I'm with you that we have a bunch of excellent folks. That list plus tons more. We should have a BBQ and Wing Cornhole and I'll get @Hot Sauce Guy to handle the wing sauce!
I’ll be in Nashville April 14-17 if anybody is around. 6 or 7 couples coming to town for a concert + food and Broadway debauchery. Beer on me.

Just to be clear, are we not allowed to talk about that thing that happened yesterday on here anymore. I don't see a thread, made me wonder. Thx

Thanks @GordonGekko I'm with you that we have a bunch of excellent folks. That list plus tons more. We should have a BBQ and Wing Cornhole and I'll get @Hot Sauce Guy to handle the wing sauce!
I’m in!

And if you ever want to get @Faust a set of sauces, I’ll do it for cost + shipping. Dude’s a machine.
faust is like the a robot from the planet awesometron who just posts so much info in the shark pool that it should probably be named after him take that to the bank bromigos

Just to be clear, are we not allowed to talk about that thing that happened yesterday on here anymore. I don't see a thread, made me wonder. Thx
USA beating ELS by only 1 goal?
I dvr'd it. Thanks Francis.
Sorry bud. Let me help you out more. The USA players got rugby tackled a lot and looked like crap in the first half. Then they woke up after some subs and there were some decent shots. ELS doesn't really have any players worth a damn.

I’m in!

And if you ever want to get @Faust a set of sauces, I’ll do it for cost + shipping. Dude’s a machine.
faust is like the a robot from the planet awesometron who just posts so much info in the shark pool that it should probably be named after him take that to the bank bromigos

He’s put in the work. For like a decade.

Reactions: SWC
I once wrote a script to increase my profile views here, circa 2006. It worked, but it wasn't working fast enough for me. Once I unthrottled it I believe the FBG IDS spot banned my IP. For quite a while I was banned.

I once wrote a script to increase my profile views here, circa 2006. It worked, but it wasn't working fast enough for me. Once I unthrottled it I believe the FBG IDS spot banned my IP. For quite a while I was banned.
Wait... why do you care how many profile views you have?
If I remember correctly, this was in rebuttal to LHUCKS' nonsense about being a quality poster that everyone looks up to....after all, look at my profile views.

If I remember correctly, this was in rebuttal to LHUCKS' nonsense about being a quality poster that everyone looks up to....after all, look at my profile views.
LHUCKS :lmao:

I remember having double digit number on FFT, like #27 or something. I joined FBG in like 2000ish? and was here for the reset in 2003? I had alot of fun with Finless in the DM's, and I will never be remembered as the guy who solved the mystery of Stoner Claus. Dudes in here said they would have shot him, lol. As someone who drunk passed out in the wrong room, I knew. Then he became a poster for a short time. That was cool.

Last edited:
Pretty sure @Fat Nick fixed one of my phones once, or I bought a phone from him. I also tried to get him a job once. Wish that would have gone through.

I forget which FBG used to do my taxes

I remember have double digit number on FFT, like #27 or something. I joined FBG in like 2000ish? and was here for the reset in 2003? I had alot of fun with Finless in the DM's, and I will never be remembered as the guy who solved the mystery of Stoner Claus. Dudes in here said they would have shot him, lol. As someone who drunk passed out in the wring room, I knew. Then he became a poster for a short time. That was cool.

Wait, that was all real?!?!? I remember all of it but I always figured it was made up.

I lost a $10 bet to someone. I bet Steve Slaton would post a better combine 40 than Jamaal Charles :bag:

What I remember was some schtick about who had the most profile views. I was going to win and was going to cheat the system doing it.

Was it Zippy? I do remember he was a post count snob

Went to go find my oldest PM :cry:
[IMG alt="wikkidpissah"]https://forums.footballguys.com/data/avatars/m/30/30452.jpg?1659477712[/IMG]

wikkidpissah

Footballguy​

Aug 4, 2011
hey, JAA. still in the Boston area? cuz i'm moving from NM to Billerica in the fall & you still owe me a Denny's/Hilltop's from my story thread yrs ago.

i see u linked your grief thread - my sympathies, btw - into a thread in which ive made most of the posts. there's a lot to process in your thread & a couple of months since - i was wondering if there was something you wanted to say/ask specifically of me about where your grief/fear issues are at presently.

i took dialogues with ##### & ##### resulting from that thread off the page & into PMs cuz most of this not everyone's business & you've only to ask for me to do the same with you. if not, no biggie. all the best -

I remember I used to sign all my posts with "JAA". IIRC once we went old blue, @shuke or @Smoo asked me why I did that. You know, cause we all had profiles next to our name.

I do miss sig's

We still had our names next to our posts at ol' yeller so it didn't make any sense there either.

- J

LAUNCH
Im sure. youre right. I dont remember why I thought it was blue. I think I just continued to do it from the olden days.

:ptts:

There used to be some CHAT I recall. There was a name for it. Wasnt it a @swires thing?

I bailed on an Atlantic City trip at the last minute. I felt so bad about that. Im not comfortable speaking out it here, but it was a rather big deal at the time. I still think about letting folks down.

I remember have double digit number on FFT, like #27 or something. I joined FBG in like 2000ish? and was here for the reset in 2003? I had alot of fun with Finless in the DM's, and I will never be remembered as the guy who solved the mystery of Stoner Claus. Dudes in here said they would have shot him, lol. As someone who drunk passed out in the wring room, I knew. Then he became a poster for a short time. That was cool.

Wait, that was all real?!?!? I remember all of it but I always figured it was made up.
I thought it was real. The way it played out. Too well done to be fake. The guy coming in later and posting could have been fake I guess. But the initial incident had to be real.

I remember I used to sign all my posts with "JAA". IIRC once we went old blue, @shuke or @Smoo asked me why I did that. You know, cause we all had profiles next to our name.

I do miss sig's
I used to put 😡 in every post I made for years. Started on FFT. When the Latin pmp incident happened and they got a new bored, they added back the old :angry back just for me. I wonder if it's still there...

as long as we are walking down memory lane here can someone tell me what the jumpy and quo thing was about i remember it happening but i dont remember what it was about take that to the bank brohans

as long as we are walking down memory lane here can someone tell me what the jumpy and quo thing was about i remember it happening but i dont remember what it was about take that to the bank brohans
Wasnt that "couch" or something got translated to jumpy quote ?

Cant forget "tree" mail. I still have all of them somewhere.
That’s terrifying
Gmail doesnt forget

Speaking of Gmail - I have my original gmail with my original name. So like one of the first set of gmail email accounts. Well, apparently my name IRL is now relatively common. So all these ****ers with my name use it as a signup to receive email notifications. I get so much ridiculous spam, dating sites, social media, password resets ... its really ridiculous.

BWIH

Where is the old smackoff debate forum? The 🔒 was SO MUCH BETTER than the metaphor. ****, the :metaphor: doesnt even have its own emoji!!!1!!11!!

Users who are viewing this thread