What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., MIA (2 Viewers)

I'm still trying to figure out how some places are spinning this. I have seen some reports that the Ravens are bringing in an elite receiver that will give Lamar the premium receiver he's been lacking. Just trying to figure out what sell by dating is for NFL players. At this point is OBJ close to an elite or top tier receiver? If someone were to sign Cam, will the narrative be that TEAM X is bringing in a league MVP and the sky is the limit?

Didn't say Bateman is a bust.
You absolutely did in everything but a direct quote. You said he was a "mistake" as a 1st round pick (he 1000% was not, and even a cursory glance at his college film shows that).
Now you're just making stuff up. I said teams make mistakes all the time based on measurables, which is correct. I did not say Bateman was a mistake at 27. Too early to tell. More a response to you incorrectly insisting where someone is drafted plays into performance. Some players who are great athletes just aren't good football players. And no, Bateman would not be the top ranked WR in this class. JSN in a landslide
To the bolded, context is a thing that happens in discussions.

I made nothing up. You made that statement, in those exact words, in the context of discussing Bateman being drafted in the 1st - which we really should do in the Bateman topic so as not to derail this one.

If you want to say you misspoke, or inferred something incorrectly, that’s fine, but I didn’t make anything up. You’re saying it again here but adding a caveat.

I'm still trying to figure out how some places are spinning this. I have seen some reports that the Ravens are bringing in an elite receiver that will give Lamar the premium receiver he's been lacking. Just trying to figure out what sell by dating is for NFL players. At this point is OBJ close to an elite or top tier receiver? If someone were to sign Cam, will the narrative be that TEAM X is bringing in a league MVP and the sky is the limit?
The one smart thing OBJ did was sit out the entire 2022 season. I know he was talking about coming back at the end of the season for a playoff push, but better to give his knee the extra time to heal. A big overpay IMO by the Ravens, but will be interesting to see how effective he will be, especially with Lamar throwing him the ball. He looked pretty good at the end of 2021 but the Rams offense was a lot better with a healthy Stafford and Kupp to take away coverage than what he is walking into now.

Wish him luck though. He was such a fun guy to watch early in his career

Didn't say Bateman is a bust.
You absolutely did in everything but a direct quote. You said he was a "mistake" as a 1st round pick (he 1000% was not, and even a cursory glance at his college film shows that).
Now you're just making stuff up. I said teams make mistakes all the time based on measurables, which is correct. I did not say Bateman was a mistake at 27. Too early to tell. More a response to you incorrectly insisting where someone is drafted plays into performance. Some players who are great athletes just aren't good football players. And no, Bateman would not be the top ranked WR in this class. JSN in a landslide
To the bolded, context is a thing that happens in discussions.

I made nothing up. You made that statement, in those exact words, in the context of discussing Bateman being drafted in the 1st - which we really should do in the Bateman topic so as not to derail this one.

If you want to say you misspoke, or inferred something incorrectly, that’s fine, but I didn’t make anything up. You’re saying it again here but adding a caveat.
Again, you kept pointing to measurables and draft capital as reasons Bateman will succeed. I pointed out that teams make mistakes on measurables all the time and draft capital isn't always an indicatior of future success. So yes, you made it up that I said Bateman is a bust.

Again, you kept pointing to measurables and draft capital as reasons Bateman will succeed. I pointed out that teams make mistakes on measurables all the time and draft capital isn't always an indicatior of future success. So yes, you made it up that I said Bateman is a bust.
Re-reading your post, in context you clearly implied it.

Whatever - we can call it a miscommunication and move on. No need to beat that horse any further.
:deadhorse:

I know a lot of people in this thread called him crazy for seeking $15m and now got it and Shefter said his incentives were easily reachable so he probably beats what a few here laughed at him wanting.

Most of that $15m guarante is a bonus. It’s and one year deal but my guess will have dummy/voidable years in the deal, only reason to pay it out in bonus.
I’m not laughing at him wanting it. I’m laughing at the Ravens paying it.

People lose jobs for decisions like that.

We’ll see how he performs.

What’s the over on his season line for people to believe he’s worth that?

I’mma set it at 90/1001/8

Over or under? Go!
Under….no doubt in my mind.

Polishing a turd because they are considered a sharp team.

It basically a one-year deal.
$15 million for 2023 ranks as the 12 highest paid NFL WR for 2023 and ties the 6th highest % of team payroll of WRs for 2023.
Is OBJ worth 7% of Baltimore's payroll?

It's not a one year deal from a cap perspective. His cap hit in 2023 is $3.932M. That is currently #58 among WRs. His current 2024 cap hit, which covers the balance of his $15M guarantee, is $11.068M, which currently ranks #34; even if that holds, between now and the start of the 2024 season, that cap hit will surely move down the rankings.

If you are going to post about cap data (e.g., where he ranks in highest percentage of team payroll in 2023), at least get your facts straight.

Last edited:

All that matters here is what Jackson thinks, not ground truth.

Maybe this is the move they needed to resign Lamar to reasonable terms. He can't be any worse than Sammy Watkins or whatever other WR option is still available from the 2014 draft.

The other thing I laugh at in some articles I have seem are billing OBJ as a WR1 for BAL . . . like that's a good thing. Odell didn't do much drawing coverage from a team's third or fourth best corners. If he is the top option in BAL, he would get a team's best coverage guy. Also, the Ravens have been in the Bottom 5 in passing attempts 3 of the past 4 years (twice ranked last). He may end up being the Ravens WR1 . . . but he would likely be a NFL WR3 forced into WR1 for BAL. Sort of like NE having a bunch of WR3's . . . someone needed to take on a slightly bigger role.

The other thing I laugh at in some articles I have seem are billing OBJ as a WR1 for BAL . . . like that's a good thing. Odell didn't do much drawing coverage from a team's third or fourth best corners. If he is the top option in BAL, he would get a team's best coverage guy. Also, the Ravens have been in the Bottom 5 in passing attempts 3 of the past 4 years (twice ranked last). He may end up being the Ravens WR1 . . . but he would likely be a NFL WR3 forced into WR1 for BAL. Sort of like NE having a bunch of WR3's . . . someone needed to take on a slightly bigger role.
A couple things on this.

1. I don’t think it matters what BAL calls OBJ, opposing defensive coordinators aren’t rolling top or double coverage OBJ’s way.

2. Greg Roman is gone and I expect a significant uptick in passing. Historic Baltimore numbers seem somewhat irrelevant in light of an OC who runs a more balanced offense.

2. Greg Roman is gone and I expect a significant uptick in passing. Historic Baltimore numbers seem somewhat irrelevant in light of an OC who runs a more balanced offense.
At this point, we don't know what to expect from a Todd Monken offense with Lamar. Yes, in his 4 years as an OC at the NFL level, his teams averaged 586 passing attempts per season . . . with QBs that were pocket passers and didn't run much. His QB's averaged 57 rushing attempts per season. Using Lamar's average rushing attempts per game over a full season, that works out to 177 attempts (if he played 17 games). Who knows how much Lamar would run on designed runs or scramble on designed passes in a new system. I don't think it's crazy to wonder if Lamar gets the same rushing usage . . . meaning that would come out of the passing attempts category that I just listed. Take away 120 passing attempts per season (the difference in the rushing attempts by QB) . . . and that would leave 466 passing attempts per season. That would work out to 27.4 passing attempts per game. Lamar has averaged 26.9 attempts per game over his career. I have no idea what will happen with the Ravens offense, but if Lamar's biggest attribute is running the ball to create havoc defensively, I am not sure they will try to change that too much if that's what's been working.

At this point, we don't know what to expect from a Todd Monken offense with Lamar. Yes, in his 4 years as an OC at the NFL level, his teams averaged 586 passing attempts per season . . . with QBs that were pocket passers and didn't run much. His QB's averaged 57 rushing attempts per season. Using Lamar's average rushing attempts per game over a full season, that works out to 177 attempts (if he played 17 games). Who knows how much Lamar would run on designed runs or scramble on designed passes in a new system. I don't think it's crazy to wonder if Lamar gets the same rushing usage . . . meaning that would come out of the passing attempts category that I just listed. Take away 120 passing attempts per season (the difference in the rushing attempts by QB) . . . and that would leave 466 passing attempts per season. That would work out to 27.4 passing attempts per game. Lamar has averaged 26.9 attempts per game over his career. I have no idea what will happen with the Ravens offense, but if Lamar's biggest attribute is running the ball to create havoc defensively, I am not sure they will try to change that too much if that's what's been working.
Because they’re about to guarantee something like 200+ million dollars?

We don't know that.

It's not a one year deal from a cap perspective. His cap hit in 2023 is $3.932M. That is currently #58 among WRs. His current 2024 cap hit, which covers the balance of his $15M guarantee, is $11.068M, which currently ranks #34; even if that holds, between now and the start of the 2024 season, that cap hit will surely move down the rankings.

If you are going to post about cap data (e.g., where he ranks in highest percentage of team payroll in 2023), at least get your facts straight.
Can I chalk it up to you making a mistake because if you check, did I say CAP or did you make a false assumption?
OBJ is being paid 7% of the entire Raven salaries paid out for 2023 as I accurately stated.

We don't know that.
I mean, it seems like a safe assumption, but sure. Just saying if they do, they might wanna protect their investment.

I believe that’s a fair statement.

I'll be that guy....

In Odell's 2021 playoff games he posted roughly 1.5 - 21 - .15 per quarter or 6 - 84 - .6 per game. I think a little too much emphasis is being placed on his Baker Mayfield years. I'm still trying to digest what to expect, but I'm not writing him off yet.

Plus, John Harbaugh is still the head coach and a strong personality. Last year he said he wanted to get back to running the ball, so hard to believe he will make an about face and throw the ball more regardless of how much they pay Lamar.

Can I chalk it up to you making a mistake because if you check, did I say CAP or did you make a false assumption?
OBJ is being paid 7% of the entire Raven salaries paid out for 2023 as I accurately stated.

No, you are the one making the incorrect statement. You seem to be dividing $15M guaranteed cash to be paid by the Ravens to OBJ in 2023 by the Ravens 2023 cap number to get to 7%. That is you mixing apples and oranges — mixing cash and cap.

No problem, I will chalk it up to you making a mistake.

Plus, John Harbaugh is still the head coach and a strong personality. Last year he said he wanted to get back to running the ball, so hard to believe he will make an about face and throw the ball more regardless of how much they pay Lamar.
Maybe they’ll run more with Dobbins & Co.

Harbaugh didn’t specifically say he wanted LJax to run the ball more.

Maybe they’ll run more with Dobbins & Co.

Harbaugh didn’t specifically say he wanted LJax to run the ball more.
I didn’t imply Jackson would run the ball more himself. He does that plenty already. They will run the ball more as a team vs throwing the ball more like they did in 2021. Don’t expect a big uptick in passing due to the coordinator change.

What a dumb amount of money for this guy
I’ve never agreed with anyone more on this forum. Just so much money.

Is that the WR landscape though?
Curious to see him signed in April for this kind of money. He's kinda the Kareem Hunt of WRs to me. He has value but I don't see him as an early domino to fall - more like 2/3rds of the way back..

The reality is no one knows. It doesn't seem likely that he's going to light the world on fire, but the Cam comparison is silly. OBJ played very well the last several games we saw him, Cam was washed. Now, if you're talking about Lamar, that MVP seems to be evergreen...

No, you are the one making the incorrect statement. You seem to be dividing $15M guaranteed cash to be paid by the Ravens to OBJ in 2023 by the Ravens 2023 cap number to get to 7%. That is you mixing apples and oranges — mixing cash and cap.

No problem, I will chalk it up to you making a mistake.
Teams do not pay players CAP they pay every player a salary from a payroll.
On the spreadsheet the column and row that is entitled team payroll with one column showing percent of team payroll.
Salaries paid out come from a number from payroll which is different from CAP.
Percent of TEAM PAYROLL.
Payroll isn't cap, they are two different numbers but can produce, similar or even the same percentage as the percent of each is similar.
I used the correct number.

He’s no longer elite - but people do seem to be forgetting he looked good with the Rams 🐏 over the short period he was there before injury.

He’s no longer elite - but people do seem to be forgetting he looked good with the Rams 🐏 over the short period he was there before injury.
We’ll have to see how it plays out, but Odell had the benefit playing with Kupp and Stafford with McVay as his coach, on a pass happy team that didn’t run the ball much or particularly well.

We’ll have to see how it plays out, but Odell had the benefit playing with Kupp and Stafford with McVay as his coach, on a pass happy team that didn’t run the ball much or particularly well.
That has nothing to do with how he actually looked - meaning his play on the field.

That has nothing to do with how he actually looked - meaning his play on the field.
Now that's laughable
🤣🤣🤣

How can you not factor in all the things Anarchy listed?
The benefits of an NFL best No 1, a solid No 2 at the time, a pass happy HC who is considered an offensive genius by many, none of that matters?
Nobody's POV will change going to Harbaugh and leaving McVay?
Preposterous I say

Sure it does. Odell was playing with a WR that had one of the best seasons by a WR in history that teams had to double and triple team. They also had Jefferson, so OBJ got covered by the weakest link on defense. Add in Stafford, who had a 70% completion rate and a 108.3 passer rating in the playoffs. So sure, Odell looked and played ok, but he missed an entire season since then.

Combining his regular season and playoff numbers with the Rams, Odell averaged 4 receptions, 49.4 receiving yards, and 0.58 TD per game. Of WR that played in at least 8 games in 2022, there were 43 WR that averaged that many receptions, 40 WR that averaged that many yards, and 6 that averaged that many TD per game. (That was the highest TD rate Beckham had in years.) He had a nice run in the playoffs, but IIRC, his game with 100+ yards receiving in the post season was his first such game in 34 games.

Now that's laughable
🤣🤣🤣

How can you not factor in all the things Anarchy listed?
The benefits of an NFL best No 1, a solid No 2 at the time, a pass happy HC who is considered an offensive genius by many, none of that matters?
Nobody's POV will change going to Harbaugh and leaving McVay?
Preposterous I say
I know from your last post based on the article that reading comprehension may not be your thing, but I'm talking about how he looked physically - his level of play. He looked like he could still play. Is that simple enough?
I try not to argue with fools so take the last word if you wish and I'll give your response the respect it deserves - It will be ignored.

Sure it does. Odell was playing with a WR that had one of the best seasons by a WR in history that teams had to double and triple team. They also had Jefferson, so OBJ got covered by the weakest link on defense. Add in Stafford, who had a 70% completion rate and a 108.3 passer rating in the playoffs. So sure, Odell looked and played ok, but he missed an entire season since then.

Combining his regular season and playoff numbers with the Rams, Odell averaged 4 receptions, 49.4 receiving yards, and 0.58 TD per game. Of WR that played in at least 8 games in 2022, there were 43 WR that averaged that many receptions, 40 WR that averaged that many yards, and 6 that averaged that many TD per game. (That was the highest TD rate Beckham had in years.) He had a nice run in the playoffs, but IIRC, his game with 100+ yards receiving in the post season was his first such game in 34 games.
I'm not saying the situation did not help at all. I wasn't really commenting on his numbers. He's no longer elite, but he looked like he could still play when he was last on the field.

I'm not saying the situation did not help at all. I wasn't really commenting on his numbers. He's no longer elite, but he looked like he could still play when he was last on the field.
I agree - his run with the Rams was impressive.

ACLs aren’t always an immediate snap back to form - I read about his top speed, but didn’t see anything about burst or twitchy lateral quickness, which helps receivers get open & break in/out of routes to shake defenders.

It will be interesting to see if at age 30 he’s able to get those critical attributes back.

But as I said earlier I don’t believe he’s going to be their WR1, so it may not be as relevant to the Ravens.

And if it does get Lamar to sign then it’s worth double what they paid him.

Last edited:
ACLs aren’t always an immediate snap back to form - I read about his top speed, but didn’t see anything about burst or twitchy lateral quickness, which help receivers get open & break in/out of routes to shake defenders.
None of us here have any idea how he looks other then that few second video of his workouts.

But here is one of those times I think it's good to acknowledge that the Ravens are dealing with considerable more info then we are when they made the decision to sign him. At a minimum they attended his full workout and gave him a physical.

Common sense would dictate that they liked what they saw. That's not an assurance of his return to form but not sure how it can't be viewed as extremely encouraging. Ravens may not draft WR's well, but they historically have done do a great job signing older vet WR's.

He was also in the very difficult position of learning an entirely new system, players, coaches, etc. mid season, but you conveniently leave that out.

Again, he may be toast now after the injury, but the Cam analogy is laughable. OBJ was playing at a high level the last time he was on the field.

Users who are viewing this thread