What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., MIA (8 Viewers)

ACLs aren’t always an immediate snap back to form - I read about his top speed, but didn’t see anything about burst or twitchy lateral quickness, which help receivers get open & break in/out of routes to shake defenders.
None of us here have any idea how he looks other then that few second video of his workouts.

But here is one of those times I think it's good to acknowledge that the Ravens are dealing with considerable more info then we are when they made the decision to sign him. At a minimum they attended his full workout and gave him a physical.

Common sense would dictate that they liked what they saw. That's not an assurance of his return to form but not sure how it can't be viewed as extremely encouraging. Ravens may not draft WR's well, but they historically have done do a great job signing older vet WR's.
I don’t disagree. And you’re right - they saw all of it.

I’m interested in seeing more. I just see players running at top speed after ACL far too often, and it’s really meaningless is all. No part of the ACL has anything to do with top speed.

It’s all about the lateral movements, twitchy shifts to shake defenders, burst, and break on routes to come back to the ball or shift inside or out.

Until I’ve seen that, I’ll always be a little skeptical. Like why even both releasing a video showing the dude running in a straight line?

But as you said, the Ravens saw more than I did and saw fit to pay him a stupid amount of $, so… :shrug:

Then again, 18M compared to ~250M and having your franchise QB back, they might be content with OBJ hanging out on the sidelines for that drop in the bucket. Could be a lot of reasons they paid him not related to his recovery.

Last edited:
A shocking development.
The official Baltimore Raven press release is endorsing their own move to acquire OBJ.
Everything positive, however...
First 'endorsement' from Rich Eisen offers a very-telling reason why OBJ was signed.

Late for Work 4/11: Odell Beckham Jr. Is 'Worth Every Penny' to Ravens
Rich Eisen Show
@RichEisenShow
In a flashing-neon-sign move to their disgruntled QB, the @Ravens agreed to terms with @obj over the weekend on a 1-year deal — will it be enough to get @Lj_era8 to return?

Then again, 18M compared to ~250M and having your franchise QB back, they might be content with OBJ hanging out on the sidelines for that drop in the bucket. Could be a lot of reasons they paid him not related to his recovery.
As I have been saying all along, we have to wait to see how things play out before we can evaluate much of anything. It's possible overpaying OBJ could have a negative impact on Lamar if the Ravens don't budge and expect Jackson to play for $32M this season. We'll never know for sure, but I would guess Odell got twice as much from the Ravens as he would from other suitors. Lamar could say, "they'll overpay for an aging, oft-injured receiver but won't give me any more money?" It's one thing that the Ravens signed Beckham . . . but the amount could rub Jackson the wrong way.

No, you are the one making the incorrect statement. You seem to be dividing $15M guaranteed cash to be paid by the Ravens to OBJ in 2023 by the Ravens 2023 cap number to get to 7%. That is you mixing apples and oranges — mixing cash and cap.

No problem, I will chalk it up to you making a mistake.
Teams do not pay players CAP they pay every player a salary from a payroll.
On the spreadsheet the column and row that is entitled team payroll with one column showing percent of team payroll.
Salaries paid out come from a number from payroll which is different from CAP.
Percent of TEAM PAYROLL.
Payroll isn't cap, they are two different numbers but can produce, similar or even the same percentage as the percent of each is similar.
I used the correct number.

Payroll isn't regulated. Cap is. Cap hits matter. Payroll doesn't.

Perhaps you used the correct number, but that makes your point irrelevant. A team can spend as much on payroll as its owner will support, there is no limit.

As I have been saying all along, we have to wait to see how things play out before we can evaluate much of anything. It's possible overpaying OBJ could have a negative impact on Lamar if the Ravens don't budge and expect Jackson to play for $32M this season. We'll never know for sure, but I would guess Odell got twice as much from the Ravens as he would from other suitors. Lamar could say, "they'll overpay for an aging, oft-injured receiver but won't give me any more money?" It's one thing that the Ravens signed Beckham . . . but the amount could rub Jackson the wrong way.
"All along" you've been skewing everything about this negatively, including in this post. You certainly don't seem interested in waiting to see how things play out before evaluating it.

"All along" you've been skewing everything about this negatively, including in this post. You certainly don't seem interested in waiting to see how things play out before evaluating it.

:goodposting:

In addition, this is a disingenuous way to represent the situation: "won't give me any more money?" As was discussed in the Jackson thread, the Ravens offered him a 5 year extension worth $267M last offseason (6 years and $290M, including his 5th year option in 2022). That doesn't fit "won't give me any more money."

I'm still trying to figure out how some places are spinning this. I have seen some reports that the Ravens are bringing in an elite receiver that will give Lamar the premium receiver he's been lacking. Just trying to figure out what sell by dating is for NFL players. At this point is OBJ close to an elite or top tier receiver? If someone were to sign Cam, will the narrative be that TEAM X is bringing in a league MVP and the sky is the limit?
He’s no longer elite - but people do seem to be forgetting he looked good with the Rams 🐏 over the short period he was there before injury.
We’ll have to see how it plays out, but Odell had the benefit playing with Kupp and Stafford with McVay as his coach, on a pass happy team that didn’t run the ball much or particularly well.
That has nothing to do with how he actually looked - meaning his play on the field.
Now that's laughable
🤣🤣🤣

How can you not factor in all the things Anarchy listed?
The benefits of an NFL best No 1, a solid No 2 at the time, a pass happy HC who is considered an offensive genius by many, none of that matters?
Nobody's POV will change going to Harbaugh and leaving McVay?
Preposterous I say
I know from your last post based on the article that reading comprehension may not be your thing, but I'm talking about how he looked physically - his level of play. He looked like he could still play. Is that simple enough?
I try not to argue with fools so take the last word if you wish and I'll give your response the respect it deserves - It will be ignored.
"That has nothing to do with how he actually looked"

-Simple enough? Your words, you stand by them, right?
Yet you rebuke @Anarchy99 after he listed a lot of obvious reasons why OBJ might have had an advantage in Los Angeles vs Cleveland

And now OBJ arrives in Baltimore where the star of the team, the franchise tagged QB is requesting a trade.
But we have to then conclude that all the reasons listed, you dismiss them all and feel the $18M price tag was well earned.
You can't have it both ways and those are your exact words, I didn't change a single letter in there so if you ignore anything you are ignoring your own words

Cheers!

I'm still trying to figure out how some places are spinning this. I have seen some reports that the Ravens are bringing in an elite receiver that will give Lamar the premium receiver he's been lacking. Just trying to figure out what sell by dating is for NFL players. At this point is OBJ close to an elite or top tier receiver? If someone were to sign Cam, will the narrative be that TEAM X is bringing in a league MVP and the sky is the limit?
He’s no longer elite - but people do seem to be forgetting he looked good with the Rams 🐏 over the short period he was there before injury.
We’ll have to see how it plays out, but Odell had the benefit playing with Kupp and Stafford with McVay as his coach, on a pass happy team that didn’t run the ball much or particularly well.
That has nothing to do with how he actually looked - meaning his play on the field.
Now that's laughable
🤣🤣🤣

How can you not factor in all the things Anarchy listed?
The benefits of an NFL best No 1, a solid No 2 at the time, a pass happy HC who is considered an offensive genius by many, none of that matters?
Nobody's POV will change going to Harbaugh and leaving McVay?
Preposterous I say
I know from your last post based on the article that reading comprehension may not be your thing, but I'm talking about how he looked physically - his level of play. He looked like he could still play. Is that simple enough?
I try not to argue with fools so take the last word if you wish and I'll give your response the respect it deserves - It will be ignored.

Yet you rebuke @Anarchy99 after he listed a lot of obvious reasons why OBJ might have had an advantage in Los Angeles vs Cleveland

And now OBJ arrives in Baltimore where the star of the team, the franchise tagged QB is requesting a trade.
But we have to then conclude that all the reasons listed, you dismiss them all and feel the $18M price tag was well earned.
You can't have it both ways and those are your exact words, I didn't change a single letter in there so if you ignore anything you are ignoring your own words

Cheers!
JFC. He NEVER said anything remotely close to he "feels the $18M price tag was well earned". And then you have the audacity to say those are his exact words?

He was VERY clearly talking about how he LOOKED, as in on the field, so his running, cutting, catching, etc., not his stats or his fantasy production. You do understand there's a very clear difference, don't you?

I’ll respond since you asked me to stand by a truncated quote. Please add the full quote to put it in context - something very important here. I’ll then stand behind it. I’ve already explained what I meant by it. It’s not a controversial statement.

Luckily in this format everything is out there for people to read.

I don’t want to mess up this thread so I’ll truly back out of this conversation.

JFC. He NEVER said anything remotely close to he "feels the $18M price tag was well earned". And then you have the audacity to say those are his exact words?
In the Jets team thread I actually said I would have been ok with the Jets signing OBJ, but Im glad they declined to match that offer. I think it’s a bad contract, but it’s only one year and may serve a greater purpose if it truly was to placate Jackson - it’s not as bad a contract for Baltimore as it would have been for the Jets. For one thing the Jets have a better WR room than Baltimore and they already signed a Binky for their QB.

Last edited:
ACLs aren’t always an immediate snap back to form - I read about his top speed, but didn’t see anything about burst or twitchy lateral quickness, which help receivers get open & break in/out of routes to shake defenders.
None of us here have any idea how he looks other then that few second video of his workouts.

But here is one of those times I think it's good to acknowledge that the Ravens are dealing with considerable more info then we are when they made the decision to sign him. At a minimum they attended his full workout and gave him a physical.

Common sense would dictate that they liked what they saw. That's not an assurance of his return to form but not sure how it can't be viewed as extremely encouraging. Ravens may not draft WR's well, but they historically have done do a great job signing older vet WR's.
I don’t disagree. And you’re right - they saw all of it.

I’m interested in seeing more. I just see players running at top speed after ACL far too often, and it’s really meaningless is all. No part of the ACL has anything to do with top speed.

It’s all about the lateral movements, twitchy shifts to shake defenders, burst, and break on routes to come back to the ball or shift inside or out.

Until I’ve seen that, I’ll always be a little skeptical. Like why even both releasing a video showing the dude running in a straight line?

But as you said, the Ravens saw more than I did and saw fit to pay him a stupid amount of $, so… :shrug:

I might need to refresh my memory, but Beckham route cuts were pretty great in seasons 1-4. I wonder how close he can come to that.

I might need to refresh my memory, but Beckham route cuts were pretty great in seasons 1-4. I wonder how close he can come to that.
IMO it all comes down to this. If he, in his age 30 season, can get his twitch back, and has burst off the line & in lateral movements. He‘ll be fine.

If he’s reduced to a deep threat, he could be useful, but nowhere near worth the $ (unless his calming presence helps to bring LJax back to the fold).

ARob had that same QB, coach, and Kupp alongside and stunk up the joint after having a better career in Chicago than OBJ did in Cleveland. Not sure Stafford, McVeigh, and Kupp are the secret sauce.
Neither Robinson nor Beckham did much in the regular season with the Rams. OBJ averaged 38 yds/gm vs. 34 for Robinson.

IMO it all comes down to this. If he, in his age 30 season, can get his twitch back, and has burst off the line & in lateral movements. He‘ll be fine.

If he’s reduced to a deep threat, he could be useful, but nowhere near worth the $ (unless his calming presence helps to bring LJax back to the fold).
I think he's morphed into a little bit of a different dude.

I have no expectations he can move like he used to move, how much drop is what we don't know but I recall that tweet from Jeremy Fowler that said he looked explosive in his workout and had bulked up to point of looking like a cross between Deebo and Barkley. That last part feels like some hyperbole but point is multiple people have commented he's bulked up.

I think he's morphed into a little bit of a different dude.

I have no expectations he can move like he used to move, how much drop is what we don't know but I recall that tweet from Jeremy Fowler that said he looked explosive in his workout and had bulked up to point of looking like a cross between Deebo and Barkley. That last part feels like some hyperbole but point is multiple people have commented he's bulked up.
Oh yeah - I mean like, 65%-75% of what he used to be.

Not sayin dude has a magical youth potion. Heh

ARob had that same QB, coach, and Kupp alongside and stunk up the joint after having a better career in Chicago than OBJ did in Cleveland. Not sure Stafford, McVeigh, and Kupp are the secret sauce.
Neither Robinson nor Beckham did much in the regular season with the Rams. OBJ averaged 38 yds/gm vs. 34 for Robinson.
One had a pre-season and a full regular season the other had to half season to remove the Mayfield stank. OBJ looked pretty damn good in the playoffs against some decent competition.

One had a pre-season and a full regular season the other had to half season to remove the Mayfield stank. OBJ looked pretty damn good in the playoffs against some decent competition.
That was the 2021 season, pre ACL tear.
He's 30 now, will be 31 halfway through the season.
It's the kinda contract that makes ya think OBJ has some dirt on Baltimore's owner or something.

OBJ looked pretty damn good in the playoffs against some decent competition.
Odell was 28 years old, on a stacked Superbowl team where Cooper Kupp was the clear #1WR having one of the best seasons in NFL history making OBJ a #2WR.
Kupp saw bracketed coverage, OBJ took advantage.
OBJ is 30 and coming off an injury and a long layoff.
He will be the clear #1 WR in Baltimore where he'll be facing bracketed coverage.
In LA he had Stafford as his QB.
Right now, he's got Tyler Huntley.:shrug:

The ARob vs OBJ is pretty hilarious. There is no comparing. One was on a SB winning team hitting on all cylinders and the other was on a terrible offense missing their starting QB and offensive line.

Plus, ARob wasn’t that good heading into LA anyways. Huge difference.

Just curious how would people rank these signings from best to worst. And I'm only going to go over money which is guaranteed or essentially guaranteed.

OBJ: one year for $15M with a chance to earn more in incentives

Allen Lazard: 2 years for $22m

Thielen: 2 years for $17.25 plus up to another million in total, or $30K for every game he plays

Robert Woods: 2 years for $14.75m with up to another half a million in per game bonuses, about $15K for every game he plays in next two years.

Personally I listed them in order.. Thielen is old and shot IMO and Woods is just shot. So those second years of those deals are for a player I'm not sure would make the roster or make much more then league minimum types. Plus neither of those teams are viable contenders and you just paid good money for old mentors. Lazard is still young and and can block, he's just never been that good.

Just curious how would people rank these signings from best to worst. And I'm only going to go over money which is guaranteed or essentially guaranteed.

Thielen: 2 years for $17.25 plus up to another million in total, or $30K for every game he plays

Robert Woods: 2 years for $14.75m with up to another half a million in per game bonuses, about $15K for every game he plays in next two years.

Personally I listed them in order.. Thielen is old and shot IMO and Woods is just shot. So those second years of those deals are for a player I'm not sure would make the roster or make much more then league minimum types. Plus neither of those teams are viable contenders and you just paid good money for old mentors. Lazard is still young and and can block, he's just never been that good.
Would rank them the same way. Thielen and Woods were particularly bad not only because I agree with you that they are both washed, but also because both are going to teams that are rebuilding and won't be seriously competing in the next two years. Just seems like tossing money away and taking snaps away from younger players.

Can't they all be considered not great signings? By all accounts, by the end, the Ravens were probably bidding against themselves. The other teams were said to have offered a lower base salary, a lot less guaranteed, way more incentives, and overall, a contract for a lot less money. They probably could have landed Odell for $10M all guaranteed without any incentives. Maybe even $8M plus incentives.

Oddly enough, both Woods and OBJ have averaged 60 receiving yards/gm since 2018 (except Woods has played in 24 more games than OBJ has). Counting only games since 2020, Beckham has averaged 40 yds/gm to 48 yds/gm for Woods. Both guys are 31 years old with injury histories. Woods is getting paid less for two seasons than OBJ is getting for one.

As far as Lazard goes, I'm guessing that was one of the players the Jets needed to sign to get Rodgers on board. In that case, that's similar to the Ravens trying to get Jackson back in the fold. The Thielen deal admittedly doesn't make a lot of sense.

Can't they all be considered not great signings?
Yes but there is only one people on this board and the sports world in general seems hell bent on slamming to death.
Part of the issue is Odell's base salary makes him the 12th highest paid WR for this season. Yes, I know, teams manipulate the salary cap . . . and bonus money and salary money is reported differently across multiple seasons. That being said, I don't see Odell being close to the 12th best receiver this season . . . but to your point, I don't expect Lazard to be the 18th best receiver either (his salary ranking for 2023). Thielen is T-29th and Woods 34th. Overall, none of should really care, as it's not our money teams are spending. For me in particular, I'm not going to watch BAL, NYJ, CAR, or HOU games.

Yes but there is only one people on this board and the sports world in general seems hell bent on slamming to death.
Most of those guys seems like decent locker room vets able to help along a young QB coming in.
Most.
If I was defending any or all of these contracts I would be arguing they all offer some ancillary benefit. I had mentioned Theilen and Woods being mentors and I meant that for the WR's and young QB's as you are saying.

Lazard and Odell are kind of similar. Both could be argued were signed to entice or at the behest of their expected QB's. Both are currently also the only WR's on the team, only players maybe up to this point I think, that have worked with their current OC's. And for Odell he jazzes up a fan base, maybe a locker room a little as well, but he for sure gets fans excited and I'm sure that has some benefit to the Ravens on the business side at least a little.

Most of those guys seems like decent locker room vets able to help along a young QB coming in.
Most.
If I was defending any or all of these contracts I would be arguing they all offer some ancillary benefit. I had mentioned Theilen and Woods being mentors and I meant that for the WR's and young QB's as you are saying.

Lazard and Odell are kind of similar. Both could be argued were signed to entice or at the behest of their expected QB's. Both are currently also the only WR's on the team, only players maybe up to this point I think, that have worked with their current OC's. And for Odell he jazzes up a fan base, maybe a locker room a little as well, but he for sure gets fans excited and I'm sure that has some benefit to the Ravens on the business side at least a little.
I think the mentor aspect is overrated a bit. If your talent level has dropped dramatically, I just don't see young players buying into them as mentors. Just hire recently retired WRs as coaches and save a bunch of money. Just don't get the big contracts being paid to Theilen and Woods when it's really doubtful that the production will be worth it.

I think the mentor aspect is overrated a bit. If your talent level has dropped dramatically, I just don't see young players buying into them as mentors. Just hire recently retired WRs as coaches and save a bunch of money. Just don't get the big contracts being paid to Theilen and Woods when it's really doubtful that the production will be worth it.
I absolutely agree and why I thought those two contracts were the two worst WR deals of this entire off-season.

I absolutely agree and why I thought those two contracts were the two worst WR deals of this entire off-season.
I guess it depends on the team, the situation, and what they think they can get out of a player. The NFCS is wide open. Theoretically, the Panthers could win the division and not even be .500 (even with a rookie QB). If CAR feels Thielen can bounce back and give them something, how is that any different than the Ravens and OBJ? Thielen had productive seasons the same time Odell did. Since then, he hasn't seen anywhere near the same number of targets. I tend to think his best days have passed, but he had 30 TD over the past 3 seasons. IMO, he's old and declining, but maybe he can help the Panthers make a playoff run.

Put another way, would BAL have been better off investing the $15-18M they gave Odell in other players? In another WR (or WRs)? AT other positions? In Lamar? Is adding Beckham a piece that takes them to another level?

I see a hitch in his left leg during his getup off the line in those videos.
That could be a bunch of things but bottom line is the off-season isn't that difficult til camp and he needs to be with trainers in a routine- til then.

Also, since guaranteed money seems to be a sticking point for Lamar, why waste 15 of it on this washed up knucklehead?
Presumably because it helps them bring LJax back into the fold.

It’s the only thing that makes sense.

In that light, what’s 15MM compared to 200MM?
(Yes, I know literally it’s 7.5%)

Suspect in an assault investigation per the Twitter.
Sounds suspiciously like a money grab attempt:

"Grabbed her throat with light pressure". When even the plaintiff says it was "light pressure" ... come on. Granted, with no context, it's a weird thing to do. But even with various contexts added it pretty much ranges from absolutely zero wrongdoing to some kind of lame case of "by the book, it's technically" assault.

7 Roster Moves That NFL Teams Will Regret from the 2023 Offseason

Baltimore Ravens: Signing WR Odell Beckham Jr. to a 1-year, $15 Million Deal​

...Four years ago, the Ravens would've earned praise for this move with those dollar figures, but aside from a second-half 2021 season run with the Los Angeles Rams to a Super Bowl title, Beckham hasn't performed at a high level. In part because of knee injuries, he hasn't recorded more than 44 receptions in a single season since 2019...

Go to the link for the full read.

7 Roster Moves That NFL Teams Will Regret from the 2023 Offseason

Baltimore Ravens: Signing WR Odell Beckham Jr. to a 1-year, $15 Million Deal​

...Four years ago, the Ravens would've earned praise for this move with those dollar figures, but aside from a second-half 2021 season run with the Los Angeles Rams to a Super Bowl title, Beckham hasn't performed at a high level. In part because of knee injuries, he hasn't recorded more than 44 receptions in a single season since 2019...

Go to the link for the full read.
Oof! Not good.

ETA: I guess this is old news but I hadn't heard the dollar figure before.

Users who are viewing this thread