What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 101 Movies of the 80s (3 Viewers)

I was lazy yesterday with the streaming options on the posts. I went through and updated a few if there were people wanting to watch a couple of these movies.

I’m the one to blame for the lower Goonies ranking. I like it. Just didn’t make my list. I think I saw it a little too late in life to develop such a strong relationship with it. I am a little younger than KP and most of these 80s movies, I didn’t actually see in the 80s.
We are going to have movies rated way higher than Goonies for people completely missing the list and I predict the first wave of WTF??? will be coming in about 20 picks,and it will be my fault. Honestly, most of the group of movies 30-60 are ones that were just on one of our lists and there are some huge titles on that list.
glll peas!!1!!11!

80/81:

FLETCH [netflix]
THE GREAT OUTDOORS

Our #45 picks. Great Outdoors was the movie I was talking about with the vacation nostalgia pick. This one became a family favorite back then and now with my kid. Fletch wasn't the movie I was referring to as his "comedy" movie, I was looking the one coming up soon. ;)
I wouldnt put Uncle Buck ahead of Great Outdoors so Im worried about whats up next. Also growing some fears about Strange Brew placing.

78/79:

THE FLY [hbo max]
TRADING PLACES

The Fly was my #44 pick, and Trading Places we both had on the list (#66 and #79). Trading Places was the holiday hint, and The Fly was my dumb clue about having a bad sequel starring an actor who got fired from another movie on the list . The Fly holds up incredibly well, and is still so damn disgusting and even touching at the end.
Maybe someone people rank comedies more than others? I mean in what world of movie rankings is Trading Places next to The Fly?

:cry:

76/77:

AIRPLANE! [hbo max]
FATAL ATTRACTION [paramount+]

Our #43 picks. We talked about these types of movies in the 90s countdown when we both had Basic Instinct rated so highly. Sadly, they just don't make those sexy thrillers like these anymore.
Ive been super critical so far, so let me take a chance here to say thank you. If you told me top 100 movies of the 80's had Airplane! and Fatal Attraction at 76/77 I would absolutely agree.

74/75:

WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN
THE 'BURBS

Our #42 picks. 0 clue how or why The 'Burbs turned into one of my go-tos, but it still is to this day. I need to get to more Almodovar. I think I've only seen a couple of his, and I know many here are fans, as was wikkid.
I've seen Women on the Verge. It was like a less zany version of a 60's era Blake Edwards movie--hectic but missing the physicality of Peter Sellers.

Haven't seen The 'Burbs in many years, vaguely remember it being quirky.
Part melodrama and part screwball but all charm. It’s a much gentler Almodovar. Hes not trying to openly surprise and shock the audience here. Definitely my favorite of his.

We've watched The Goonies with our kids at least 6-8 times I bet. We keep the DVD in our camp trailer, and we throw it on, in the evening sometimes during camping trips.....it's the most requested, along with the Sandlot, and Nacho Libre.....all classics, imo
I dont get Sandlot. I simply do not understand what's good about it. Can someone unpack this movie and love for me?
For me, it's about the indelible camaraderie you had with your childhood friends and the adventures you had together. Baseball used to be more of a common shared experience, which also helps it feel familiar to many.

Plus, little kids doing stupid things is always good for a laugh. My favorite scene in the whole movie is when they use chewing tobacco and get on the Tilt-A-Whirl.

78/79:

THE FLY [hbo max]
TRADING PLACES

The Fly was my #44 pick, and Trading Places we both had on the list (#66 and #79). Trading Places was the holiday hint, and The Fly was my dumb clue about having a bad sequel starring an actor who got fired from another movie on the list . The Fly holds up incredibly well, and is still so damn disgusting and even touching at the end.
Maybe someone people rank comedies more than others? I mean in what world of movie rankings is Trading Places next to The Fly?

I just can’t stand Cronenberg. Easily my least favorite “popular/respected” director.

We've watched The Goonies with our kids at least 6-8 times I bet. We keep the DVD in our camp trailer, and we throw it on, in the evening sometimes during camping trips.....it's the most requested, along with the Sandlot, and Nacho Libre.....all classics, imo
I dont get Sandlot. I simply do not understand what's good about it. Can someone unpack this movie and love for me?
Me and my buddies played ball like that growing up......grew up big baseball family, and my family now is all about baseball.....oh, and its got Wendy Peffercorn.....and its got a perfect plot revolving around a signed Babe Ruth ball.....you know, the Sultan of Swat!......and its got one of the most re-used quotes of all time, at least in my world...."you're killin me Smalls!"

I spose if ur not into baseball really its a miss.....still a good buddy movie though.

Airplane! is 10000000x more quotable and funnier than Fletch (and I like Fletch), and you can take that to the bank. Glad to see it show up!

ETA: Is this where I tell my "Chevy Chase is a Richard" story" again?
Ever seen a grown man naked?

74/75:

THE 'BURBS [netflix]

Our #42 picks. 0 clue how or why The 'Burbs turned into one of my go-tos, but it still is to this day. I need to get to more Almodovar. I think I've only seen a couple of his, and I know many here are fans, as was wikkid.
cmon man

72/73:

BRAZIL
MY LEFT FOOT [paramount +]

Our #41 picks. Brazil was my hint last night about the homework assignment that just missed my top 100. I had 3 movies that I had to watch before being able to do this, and I am happy to report that I actually did that homework. My Left Foot is yet another DDL tour de force.
please put the train back on the tracks

My ****ing left foot ahead of Goonies?!!??!!?!?!?!

J
F
C

80/81:

FLETCH [netflix]
THE GREAT OUTDOORS

Our #45 picks. Great Outdoors was the movie I was talking about with the vacation nostalgia pick. This one became a family favorite back then and now with my kid. Fletch wasn't the movie I was referring to as his "comedy" movie, I was looking the one coming up soon. ;)
I wouldnt put Uncle Buck ahead of Great Outdoors so Im worried about whats up next. Also growing some fears about Strange Brew placing.
Uncle Buck or Great Outdoors. I think I have Uncle Buck ahead, but just personal preference. Both were good. Neither should be ahead of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on any list.

72/73:

BRAZIL

Our #41 picks. Brazil was my hint last night about the homework assignment that just missed my top 100. I had 3 movies that I had to watch before being able to do this, and I am happy to report that I actually did that homework. My Left Foot is yet another DDL tour de force.
Brazil is one of my favorites. It’s so well-constructed and packs an emotional punch.

72/73:

BRAZIL

Brazil is one of my favorites. It’s so well-constructed and packs an emotional punch.

Been awhile since I’ve seen it but anytime I run into some bureaucratic issue in my daily life. It makes me think of this movie.

78/79:

THE FLY [hbo max]
TRADING PLACES

I just can’t stand Cronenberg. Easily my least favorite “popular/respected” director.
Have you ever seen Rabid? It’s from the ‘70s, so no spotlighting. And with that Marilyn Chambers.

78/79:

THE FLY [hbo max]
TRADING PLACES

Have you ever seen Rabid? It’s from the ‘70s, so no spotlighting. And with that Marilyn Chambers.
I have not. I’ve seen 4 or 5 of his and haven’t liked a single one.

72/73:

BRAZIL

I was a kid in the 80's so some of the artsy fartsy stuff I missed. I've honestly never heard of either of these flicks......I think I will start a list to check some of em out. I read a review on Brazil and it sounded interesting

74/75:

THE 'BURBS [netflix]

I always liked the Burbs, but I'd put it way low.....like almost outside looking in. Never seen the other one with a really long title.

78/79:

THE FLY [hbo max]
TRADING PLACES

I'm kinda with you. respect that he's trying something, but I'm usually not interested in what he's trying.

I remember liking Videodrome, and Eastern Promises was quite good... probably my favorite of his.

72/73:

BRAZIL

I was a kid in the 80's so some of the artsy fartsy stuff I missed. I've honestly never heard of either of these flicks......I think I will start a list to check some of em out. I read a review on Brazil and it sounded interesting
I didn't see it until I got a Netflix subscription in the '00s. I wouldn't have gotten it at all if I'd watched it as a kid in the '80s.

78/79:

THE FLY [hbo max]
TRADING PLACES

I'm kinda with you. respect that he's trying something, but I'm usually not interested in what he's trying.

I remember liking Videodrome, and Eastern Promises was quite good... probably my favorite of his.
Long live the new flesh!

78/79:

THE FLY [hbo max]
TRADING PLACES

A History of Violence was very good.

72/73:

BRAZIL

My Left Foot is solid; glad to see that make a list.

Brazil is a movie that I've thought I should rewatch, having been too young when I saw it and not liking it at all. Then I remember that I've never been big on any of Terry Gilliam's films, so it might be that. (There's an 80s one I haven't seen and might show up here, so I won't mention it now.) Of all of his, this seems like the one I should give another shot to.

78/79:

THE FLY [hbo max]
TRADING PLACES

A History of Violence was very good.
Cronenberg films I have seen and loved:

Scanners
Videodrome
The Fly
Naked Lunch
eXistenZ
A History of Violence
Eastern Promises

I also liked him as an actor in Last Night, a Canadian film that I touted in the '90s movie countdown thread.

72/73:

BRAZIL

My Left Foot is solid; glad to see that make a list.

Brazil is a movie that I've thought I should rewatch, having been too young when I saw it and not liking it at all. Then I remember that I've never been big on any of Terry Gilliam's films, so it might be that. (There's an 80s one I haven't seen and might show up here, so I won't mention it now.) Of all of his, this seems like the one I should give another shot to.
Many of Gilliam's films give off a "cares way more about the set design than the script" vibe, but IMO Brazil is an exception.

Cronenberg films I have seen and loved:

Scanners
Videodrome
The Fly
Naked Lunch
eXistenZ
A History of Violence
Eastern Promises

I also liked him as an actor in Last Night, a Canadian film that I touted in the '90s movie countdown thread.
So I looked, here's what I've seen and how I would rate it:

So bad I shut it off 20 mins: Crimes of the Future
Didn't care for: The Fly, Scanners, Dead Ringers, A History of Violence

and I forgot the one movie I did like from him, The Brood.

This is the best way to describe Brazil:

It's like a stoned, slapstick 1984: a nightmare comedy

74/75:

THE 'BURBS [netflix]

I always liked the Burbs, but I'd put it way low.....like almost outside looking in. Never seen the other one with a really long title.
The one with the really long title is very good- it's not what it sounds like. It's a sort of slapstick rom-com.

69, 70, 71:

POLYESTER
AFTER HOURS [hbo max]
PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE [hbomax]

Our #40 picks, and Pee Wee was on both our lists. @Ilov80s - was that your jump scare guess? On our lists Pee Wee was #80 and #61. After Hours is one that grows on me more and more each watch. That was the comedy by a director I struggle with clue.
Large Marge is definitely the jump scare. I am feeling uncomfortable just thinking about it. It viscerally scared the living **** out of me as a little kid. That was a big favorite of mine but I had to FF once he got to the trucker bar just to avoid that.

69, 70, 71:

POLYESTER
AFTER HOURS [hbo max]

Our #40 picks, and Pee Wee was on both our lists. @Ilov80s - was that your jump scare guess? On our lists Pee Wee was #80 and #61. After Hours is one that grows on me more and more each watch. That was the comedy by a director I struggle with clue.
Large Marge is definitely the jump scare. I am feeling uncomfortable just thinking about it. It viscerally scared the living **** out of me as a little kid. That was a big favorite of mine but I had to FF once he got to the trucker bar just to avoid that.
I was thinking about watching this one tonight. It's been awhile.

69, 70, 71:

POLYESTER
AFTER HOURS [hbo max]

Hmmm never heard of After Hours, sounds interesting though

Speaking of Griffin Dunne I hope he makes another appearance in this countdown, but I won’t hold my fargin breath

69, 70, 71:

POLYESTER
AFTER HOURS [hbo max]

Polyster is the right balance of John Waters and some mainstream approach for me. It's my favorite of his. Disgusting but not totally revolting. Still extremely tacky.

69, 70, 71:

POLYESTER
AFTER HOURS [hbo max]

whoa... I love all of these.

I quote pee wee a ton (your mind plays tricks on you- YOU PLAY TRICKS BACK!) and still love watching it.
I also love Scorcese's comedies (doubt that you'll rank my favorite here)- After Hours is like a fever dream NYC night... and amazing to rewatch given just how much downtown has changed since then.

Polyster and Divine... jesus :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread