What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Next 100 best movies from the 80's (1 Viewer)

Here are my movies from the original list that missed the top 200:

65. The Killer- Am I the only John Woo-Chow Yun-fat fan?
68. Repo Man
69. Body Heat- can't believe this didn't make it, thought it had a shot at top 10 on the 2nd list
70. Moonstruck- another stunner to me, one of the best 80s comedies
71. Sweetie
73. The Last Emperor
80. Once Upon a Time in America- no way there are 200 better movies than this
82. The Big Chill- talk about iconic 80s though this was for boomers and not the gen xers here
85. Atlantic City
86. A Passage to India
87. Sophie's Choice
88. My Favorite Year
89. Lola
91. Ragtime
92. Cruising
93. Breaker Morant
94. The Killing Fields
95. Children of a Lesser God
96. The Return of the Living Dead
97. Victor/Victoria
98. The Color Purple
99. On Golden Pond

Last edited:
Here are some "gems" that I wrote down that weren't talked about on either countdown that I saw. Ones I dig and suggested a lot to people, just not top 100 worthy for me:

Starman, Some Kind of Wonderful, Teen Wolf, About Last Night, Adventures in Babysitting, Can't Buy Me Love, Loverboy, The Gate, Sleepaway Camp, Youngblood, Critters, Nightmare 3 (I think it's the best one), The Hitcher, Alligator, The Fog, Near Dark, Say Anything, The Black Cauldron, Cocoon, Friday 4 and 6, Eight Men Out, The Fog, The Transformers Movie,

I'm glad it's just the three of us in here talking about our own picks.
Sorry, Sat Night wasn't the best spot. I love both those Chevy movies. Surprised they came out 1 and 2. I had the original at 83 on my list. I guess it's not KP's thing.
We had the opposite ones on our list. You the OG and me Christmas. I like Vacation more than most comedies around that time, but not quite for my personal 100. Not big on Chevy as I've said.
Ahhh we cancelled each other out. Makes sense.

Here are my movies from the original list that missed the top 200:

65. The Killer- Am I the only John Woo-Chow Yun-fat fan?
68. Repo Man
69. Body Heat- can't believe this didn't make it, thought it had a shot at top 10 on the 2nd list
70. Moonstruck- another stunner to me, one of the best 80s comedies
71. Sweetie
73. The Last Emperor
80. Once Upon a Time in America- no way there are 200 better movies than this
82. The Big Chill- talk about iconic 80s though this was for boomers and not the gen xers here
85. Atlantic City
86. A Passage to India
87. Sophie's Choice
88. My Favorite Year
89. Lola
91. Ragtime
92. Cruising
93. Breaker Morant
94. The Killer Fields
95. Children of a Lesser God
96. The Return of the Living Dead
97. Victor/Victoria
98. The Color Purple
99. On Golden Pond
Oddly, we both had the bolded, just down far enough that it was the only one we both had that didn't score well enough for the overall countdown.

Here was the rest of my top 60 that didn't make this list:
43 The Accused
48 Flash Gordon
49 The Hitcher
52 Halloween III
53 Born on the Fourth of July
54 Dreamscape
55 Pin
58 Hoosiers
59 Angel Heart
60 Mississippi Burning

Here were my next ones out:
Mask
Last Temptation Of Christ
Fandango
Wall Street
Dressed to Kill
Drugstore Cowboy
Fortress
Neighbors

And then a bunch that I had at least considered, some of which ended up on the list due to the other guys:
Sea of Love
Deathtrap
Saint Elmo's Fire
Frantic
Back to the Future II
F/X
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Clash of the Titans
Pet Semetary
Fright Night
Silkwood
Say Anything
My Bodyguard
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Victory
Cujo
Wargames
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
They Call Me Bruce
Real Genius
Hollywood Knights
Basket Case
Star Trek II
The Last American Virgin
Beastmaster
Creepshow
Rocky III
48 Hours
Zapped!
Starman
Bachelor Party
Johnny Dangerously
Firestarter
Night of the Comet
Footloose
Police Academy
Swamp Thing
Uncle Buck
Weekend at Bernie's
The Toxic Avenger
Three Amigos
Back To School
Stir Crazy
Morons from Outer Space

My list was far more "80s movies" and had many that were mentioned in here. I lost track of some of them, but from other set of notes I had:

Nightmare 3, Footloose, Can't Buy Me Love, 16 Candles, Indy 3, Hellraiser, Starman, Fright Night, Parenthood, Great Muppet Caper, Last Starfighter, The Dead Zone, Clue, Bloodsport, License to Drive.

I mentioned one in the other thread that I forgot about and 100% would have been on my list high enough to be on the first countdown: I'm Gonna Git You Sucka. Not exactly sure where, but it would have been in my top 50.

Top 60ish not mentioned yet. Kind of in order.

WarGames
Stripes
The Natural
No Way Out
Mask
My Bodyguard
Hoosiers
Brewster's Millions
Spies Like Us
Angel Heart
Without a Trace
Roger & Me
Matewan
Back To School
The Toy
Broadway Danny Rose
Stir Crazy
Brighton Beach Memoirs
Taps
Just One of the Guys
Romancing the Stone
The Four Seasons
Cat's Eye
Commando
The Dead Zone
Gung-Ho
Can't Buy Me Love
The Hitcher
Some Kind of Wonderful
Wall Street
All of Me
Strange Brew
Less than Zero
Chariots of Fire
Driving Miss Daisy
Lean on Me
Dangerous Liaisons
Tootsie
The Big Chill
Mississippi Burning
Born on the 4th of July
Arthur
Jagged Edge
Dreamscape
Gandhi
Colors
Heathers
Working Girl
Great Balls of Fire
Flash Gordon
Purple Rain
Flashdance
Reds
Splash
Hannah and her Sisters
Biloxi Blues
The Falcon and the Snowman
Pale Rider
Stand and Deliver
Drugstore Cowboy
Bustin Loose
Real Genius
Das Boot
Stop Making Sense

I'm glad it's just the three of us in here talking about our own picks.
Sorry, Sat Night wasn't the best spot. I love both those Chevy movies. Surprised they came out 1 and 2. I had the original at 83 on my list. I guess it's not KP's thing.
We had the opposite ones on our list. You the OG and me Christmas. I like Vacation more than most comedies around that time, but not quite for my personal 100. Not big on Chevy as I've said.
Ahhh we cancelled each other out. Makes sense.
Still would have been low I don't think either would get much higher than the 80s for me.

If you are asking me to sit down and watch a series of movies, it would be Friday the 13th in that scenario. It's pretty consistent thoughout, and I would be perfectly happy watching 6-8 of them on any given night.

That is what makes the Nightmare series so damn disappointing. It has the better idea and killer - a child diddler/murderer that can get you in your sleep? :scared: But somehow they were only able to turn that idea into about 2 1/2 good to great movies. Otherwise, as scoresman said- the quality falls off a cliff. Mostly because the scariness is gone when your villain is doing the talk show circuit and more interesting in cracking dumb one-liners.

Friday stuck to its core - dumb characters, funny kills, boobs. Nightmare was all over the map and didn't know what it was. It's an iconic series, but there are other modern ones I'd watch before it like Scream or hell, even Final Destinations. Nightmare could have been an epic franchise.
The original Nightmare on Elm Street and and Nightmare on Elm Street 3 Dream Warriors were better than any Friday tue 13th movies….for my taste hands down. However you are right. The overall body of work as a whole is better with the Friday the 13th series.

I literally can only watch
New Nightmare

Where as I can watch
X

But those two Nightmare flicks I mentioned are monsters.

I watched Cat's Eye again a few nights ago. Still great, at least the first two segments.

Without a Trace is a movie I knew wouldn't be on any list. Judd Hirsch looking for a missing kid.

I saw Matewan in the theater. Chris Coopers first movie and still holds up.

Watched No Way Out again last week. Phenomenal 80's movie. Sean Young in her prime.

Saw The Four Seasons in a packed theater 40+ years ago. They don't make them like that any more.

Of all the movies on my extra list I've probably seen WarGames, Stripes, Mask and Back to School the most.

If you are asking me to sit down and watch a series of movies, it would be Friday the 13th in that scenario. It's pretty consistent thoughout, and I would be perfectly happy watching 6-8 of them on any given night.

That is what makes the Nightmare series so damn disappointing. It has the better idea and killer - a child diddler/murderer that can get you in your sleep? :scared: But somehow they were only able to turn that idea into about 2 1/2 good to great movies. Otherwise, as scoresman said- the quality falls off a cliff. Mostly because the scariness is gone when your villain is doing the talk show circuit and more interesting in cracking dumb one-liners.

Friday stuck to its core - dumb characters, funny kills, boobs. Nightmare was all over the map and didn't know what it was. It's an iconic series, but there are other modern ones I'd watch before it like Scream or hell, even Final Destinations. Nightmare could have been an epic franchise.
The original Nightmare on Elm Street and and Nightmare on Elm Street 3 Dream Warriors were better than any Friday tue 13th movies….for my taste hands down. However you are right. The overall body of work as a whole is better with the Friday the 13th series.

I literally can only watch
New Nightmare

Where as I can watch
X

But those two Nightmare flicks I mentioned are monsters.
This is almost exactly my view. I would have to think about Nightmare 4 a bit, and I embrace the chaos of Goes to hell more than X, but we are pretty much in agreement.

WarGames
Stripes
The Natural
No Way Out
Mask
My Bodyguard
Hoosiers
Brewster's Millions
Spies Like Us
Angel Heart
Without a Trace
Roger & Me
Matewan
Back To School
The Toy
Broadway Danny Rose
Stir Crazy
Brighton Beach Memoirs
Taps
Just One of the Guys
Romancing the Stone
The Four Seasons
Cat's Eye
Commando
The Dead Zone
Gung-Ho
Can't Buy Me Love
The Hitcher
Some Kind of Wonderful
Wall Street
All of Me
Strange Brew
Less than Zero
Chariots of Fire
Driving Miss Daisy
Lean on Me
Dangerous Liaisons
Tootsie
The Big Chill
Mississippi Burning
Born on the 4th of July
Arthur
Jagged Edge
Dreamscape
Gandhi
Colors
Heathers
Working Girl
Great Balls of Fire
Flash Gordon
Purple Rain
Flashdance
Reds
Splash
Hannah and her Sisters
Biloxi Blues
Pale Rider
Stand and Deliver
Drugstore Cowboy
Bustin Loose
Real Genius
Das Boot
Stop Making Sense
That's a pretty good list. I don't think have thought twice had any of those made it. Just shows how deep the 80s were for movies. If I really looked into it I'm pretty sure I could come up with a few dozen more.

WarGames
Stripes
The Natural
No Way Out
Mask
My Bodyguard
Hoosiers
Brewster's Millions
Spies Like Us
Angel Heart
Without a Trace
Roger & Me
Matewan
Back To School
The Toy
Broadway Danny Rose
Stir Crazy
Brighton Beach Memoirs
Taps
Just One of the Guys
Romancing the Stone
The Four Seasons
Cat's Eye
Commando
The Dead Zone
Gung-Ho
Can't Buy Me Love
The Hitcher
Some Kind of Wonderful
Wall Street
All of Me
Strange Brew
Less than Zero
Chariots of Fire
Driving Miss Daisy
Lean on Me
Dangerous Liaisons
Tootsie
The Big Chill
Mississippi Burning
Born on the 4th of July
Arthur
Jagged Edge
Dreamscape
Gandhi
Colors
Heathers
Working Girl
Great Balls of Fire
Flash Gordon
Purple Rain
Flashdance
Reds
Splash
Hannah and her Sisters
Biloxi Blues
Pale Rider
Stand and Deliver
Drugstore Cowboy
Bustin Loose
Real Genius
Das Boot
Stop Making Sense
That's a pretty good list. I don't think have thought twice had any of those made it. Just shows how deep the 80s were for movies. If I really looked into it I'm pretty sure I could come up with a few dozen more.
My counter argument would be that every decade has just as many great movies. Most of us were just of that age to watch most of them in the 80s.

The reason I started my 00s and 10s countdowns was a bit to prove that to people grumbling about there not being any good recent movies.

Sorry to ask again but did Parenthood make this list? Didn't make the last one. Makes me rethink everything about myself if that's not a top 200 movie. The formatting on the first post is awful.

Sorry to ask again but did Parenthood make this list? Didn't make the last one. Makes me rethink everything about myself if that's not a top 200 movie. The formatting on the first post is awful.
You know, GM, these days you need a license to drive a car, or catch a fish. Hell, you need a license to buy a dog but they'll let any butt-reaming ******* make a top 100 80's movies thread.

You know, GM, these days you need a license to drive a car, or catch a fish. Hell, you need a license to buy a dog but they'll let any butt-reaming ******* make a top 100 80's movies thread.

Parenthood was a terrific 1980s movie and I disagree with anybody anywhere that won't include it in a top 100. What's the matter with some of you?

Parenthood was a terrific 1980s movie and I disagree with anybody anywhere that won't include it in a top 100. What's the matter with some of you?
I dunno. You could start a poll like TripItUp did.

-Because they're STUPID, alright? They didn't score 14000 on the SAT like you did, alright?

WarGames
Stripes
The Natural
No Way Out
Mask
My Bodyguard
Hoosiers
Brewster's Millions
Spies Like Us
Angel Heart
Without a Trace
Roger & Me
Matewan
Back To School
The Toy
Broadway Danny Rose
Stir Crazy
Brighton Beach Memoirs
Taps
Just One of the Guys
Romancing the Stone
The Four Seasons
Cat's Eye
Commando
The Dead Zone
Gung-Ho
Can't Buy Me Love
The Hitcher
Some Kind of Wonderful
Wall Street
All of Me
Strange Brew
Less than Zero
Chariots of Fire
Driving Miss Daisy
Lean on Me
Dangerous Liaisons
Tootsie
The Big Chill
Mississippi Burning
Born on the 4th of July
Arthur
Jagged Edge
Dreamscape
Gandhi
Colors
Heathers
Working Girl
Great Balls of Fire
Flash Gordon
Purple Rain
Flashdance
Reds
Splash
Hannah and her Sisters
Biloxi Blues
Pale Rider
Stand and Deliver
Drugstore Cowboy
Bustin Loose
Real Genius
Das Boot
Stop Making Sense
Heathers was on the list.

How did Pale Rider not make the cut?

Here are some "gems" that I wrote down that weren't talked about on either countdown that I saw. Ones I dig and suggested a lot to people, just not top 100 worthy for me:

Starman, Some Kind of Wonderful, Teen Wolf, About Last Night, Adventures in Babysitting, Can't Buy Me Love, Loverboy, The Gate, Sleepaway Camp, Youngblood, Critters, Nightmare 3 (I think it's the best one), The Hitcher, Alligator, The Fog, Near Dark, Say Anything, The Black Cauldron, Cocoon, Friday 4 and 6, Eight Men Out, The Fog, The Transformers Movie,
Adventures in babysitting has one of my most used quotes....still use it all the time
"dishes are done, man"

In fact, that one and a quote from half baked may be my two most used quotes...."right near da beach, boy-eee!"

Adventures in babysitting has one of my most used quotes....still use it all the time
"dishes are done, man"

In fact, that one and a quote from half baked may be my two most used quotes...."right near da beach, boy-eee!"
I think that first one is from Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead.

"dishes are done, man"

I think that first one is from Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead.
Yep you're right! I'm old, and confused

Users who are viewing this thread