What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Next 100 best movies from the 80's (1 Viewer)

8 (tie). Major League
shuke - #28
Lambskin - #1
Scoresman - #49

So many great lines, but my most quoted is "look at this ####ing guy".
So hadn't seen the non TBS version in a long time. Had some of the wife's friends over and for some reason started talking baseball which led to this movie. They hadn't seen it. Their kids were 10 ish and just starting to get into baseball so I suggested we fire up the DVD. I couldn't believe how much cussing was in this. I totally forgot since I usually just get pieces of the movie on TBS which was edited.

Let's just say my wife's friend was a little perturbed with me since we were watching it with the kids....hahahah
It also cuts out one of my favorite exchanges, when Jake crashes his ex's dinner party and her new boyfriend is walking him out:

BF: Stay away from her.
Jake: Suck my ****.

8 (tie). The Naked Gun
Lambskin - #3
shuke - #46
Scoresman - #29

My buddies and I were watching copies of Police Squad on VHS before this came so I was super excited, and was not disappointed. Been too long since I've seen this, need to introduce it to the kids.

had some funny moments...borderline top 200 for me. Kind of like "Top Secret"...didn't love it as much as most others.
Have to agree here. A lot of good one liners but IMO not as funny now as it used to be - especially compared to, say, Airplane.

The baseball montage is classic though and I’m fine to watch just that portion.
I haven’t watch in a long time but the scene where he stabs the fish with the pen, burns down Ricardo Montobaun‘s office, assaults the male gargoyle had me crying in the theater. I still remember this like 35 years later.
Entering without a search warrant, destroying property, arson; sexual assault with a concrete dildo?
Bingo

Curious what people think the top 5 will be (not what they personally think it should be).

Asking @Dan Lambskin to edit his spoiler.
How many sequels does Scoresman have?

2 I have been waiting on with this crew are Beverly Hills Cop 2 and A Nightmare on Elm Street. Because all of the others by him seemed to be picked I guess The Dead Zone should be another guess. The hardest part on the guess is Skuke since all 3 had these on their list and he seems to actually have taste in movies. ;) I will go Footloose and Say Anything.

Obviously, if Scores has more than 1 sequel on the list then I have to rethink answers a bit.
There is a non-zero number of sequels that I think are left. But a hint is that "Part 2" is not in the titles.

Since The Dead Zone was mentioned, all I will say is it's on my list!

8 (tie). Major League
shuke - #28
Lambskin - #1
Scoresman - #49

So many great lines, but my most quoted is "look at this ####ing guy".
So hadn't seen the non TBS version in a long time. Had some of the wife's friends over and for some reason started talking baseball which led to this movie. They hadn't seen it. Their kids were 10 ish and just starting to get into baseball so I suggested we fire up the DVD. I couldn't believe how much cussing was in this. I totally forgot since I usually just get pieces of the movie on TBS which was edited.

Let's just say my wife's friend was a little perturbed with me since we were watching it with the kids....hahahah
It also cuts out one of my favorite exchanges, when Jake crashes his ex's dinner party and her new boyfriend is walking him out:

BF: Stay away from her.
Jake: Suck my ****.
I was watching this one recently, and that scene (and Jake in general) creeped me out a bit more than I remembered. He’s just a creepy stalker throughout the entire movie.

My List

Vacation
Wallstreet
Stripes
Urban Cowboy
The Outsiders
Xmas Vacation
Hoosiers
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Bloodsport
Rocky III
Time Bandits
Cocktail
Spies Like Us
La Bamba
Coal Miners Daughter
Lean on Me
Heartbreak Ridge
St. Elmos Fire
48 Hours
The Natural

I mean, what are we even ****ing doing here? Pull yourselves together FFA. You disappoint me.

Last edited:
My List

Vacation
Stripes
Urban Cowboy
The Outsiders
Xmas Vacation
Hoosiers
Bloodsport
Rocky III
Time Bandits
Cocktail
Spies Like Us
La Bamba
Coal Miners Daughter
Lean on Me
Heartbreak Ridge
St. Elmos Fire
48 Hours

I mean, what are we even ****ing doing here? Pull yourselves together FFA. You disappoint me.
I prefer Stand and Deliver.

Gun to my head I think the remaining top 5(not necessarily my top 5) will be

48 Hours
Hoosiers
the Natural
Xmas Vacation
Wallstreet

My List

Vacation
Stripes
Urban Cowboy
The Outsiders
Xmas Vacation
Hoosiers
Bloodsport
Rocky III
Time Bandits
Cocktail
Spies Like Us
La Bamba
Coal Miners Daughter
Lean on Me
Heartbreak Ridge
St. Elmos Fire
48 Hours

I prefer Stand and Deliver.

the song were better than the flick

The Mt. Rushmore of 80s is something like Ghostbusters, ESB, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Back to the Future.

Ghostbusters gives you horror and comedy in one movie, no brainer. ESB is Star Wars. Raiders and BTTF representing blockbusters, action/sci-fi.

But no drama should really be close to making it on there. There were great dramas in the 80s, but that's not what the decade of movies was really about.

I think we are still confusing "great" with "iconic" in these threads. Representative would also be a better descriptor.

I wouldn't say either Wall Street or the fight in They Live are great, but I would use the other terms.

The Mt. Rushmore of 80s is something like Ghostbusters, ESB, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Back to the Future.

Ghostbusters gives you horror and comedy in one movie, no brainer. ESB is Star Wars. Raiders and BTTF representing blockbusters, action/sci-fi.

But no drama should really be close to making it on there. There were great dramas in the 80s, but that's not what the decade of movies was really about.
Probably a good 4 movies but those are all basically the same type of movie. ..but like you say, representative of what 80s movies are most remembered for.

Of course I mostly agree. 3 of those were rated very high for me.

I just don't think Raiders is a slam dunk, nor is Ghostbusters. E.T. was the highest grossing movie of the decade and IMO is more iconic of a Speilberg movie than Raiders is. I would have 0 issues with somebody including that in there. This Mt. Rushmore is also missing a typical teen comedy and I wouldn't argue much with somebody finding room for a Fast Times or Breakfast Club type of movies. You list is also very PG, and I wouldn't argue with a Die Hard being up there.

Listen, I love that people love Raiders as much as I do things like Back to the Future. I just also think you all are being a bit over the top as it being the end-all-be-all 80s fantastic 80s movie.

48 Hours
Hoosiers
the Natural
Xmas Vacation
Wallstreet
Wasn’t Christmas Vacation 90s?
'89. So my guesses were terrible. Both Vacation and Christmas Vacation are here. Seems every other Cronenberg is on here besides Dead Zone, and I think it's much better than those so I will stick with that one. Hoosiers is a better guess as well, and I will stick with Nightmare on Elm Street.

So official guesses: Vaction, Christmas Vacation, Nightmare on Elm Street, Hoosiers, and The Dead Zone.

Which leaves my WTFs? for this list at things like: Poltergeist, Starman, Child's Play, Footloose, Bloodsport, Nightmare 3, Beverly Hills Cop 2, and about 50 others I love, but am not as surprised to be outside looking in.

48 Hours
Hoosiers
the Natural
Xmas Vacation
Wallstreet
'89. So my guesses were terrible. Both Vacation and Christmas Vacation are here. Seems every other Cronenberg is on here besides Dead Zone, and I think it's much better than those so I will stick with that one. Hoosiers is a better guess as well, and I will stick with Nightmare on Elm Street.

So official guesses: Vaction, Christmas Vacation, Nightmare on Elm Street, Hoosiers, and The Dead Zone.

Which leaves my WTFs? for this list at things like: Poltergeist, Starman, Child's Play, Footloose, Bloodsport, Nightmare 3, Beverly Hills Cop 2, and about 50 others I love, but am not as surprised to be outside looking in.
You could've had them on your original list instead of all that foreign junk. ;)

Also, all but I think 2 of the movies you list in your reply are in my next 100.

48 Hours
Hoosiers
the Natural
Xmas Vacation
Wallstreet

You could've had them on your original list instead of all that foreign junk. ;)

Also, all but I think 2 of the movies you list in your reply are in my next 100.
Many of those were on my list, just not on the combined list.

Nightmare on Elm Street vs. Friday the 13th? Where do you stand?

I'm firmly in Friday the 13th's corner. Jason > Freddy. IMO. Freddy is cool, but he has his claws and that's it. Jason can kill you with a cleaver, a sledgehammer, a hacksaw, or even liquid nitrogen.

However, that said I think the first NOES is probably the best film across all of them. But the NOES sequels take a much drastic drop in quality compared to F13,

Nightmare on Elm Street vs. Friday the 13th? Where do you stand?

I'm firmly in Friday the 13th's corner. Jason > Freddy. IMO. Freddy is cool, but he has his claws and that's it. Jason can kill you with a cleaver, a sledgehammer, a hacksaw, or even liquid nitrogen.
Same.

But Freddy attacks you in your dreams. No escape. That is what freaked me out when I originally saw it. The concept of something attacking you in your dreams was terrifying.

If you are asking me to sit down and watch a series of movies, it would be Friday the 13th in that scenario. It's pretty consistent thoughout, and I would be perfectly happy watching 6-8 of them on any given night.

That is what makes the Nightmare series so damn disappointing. It has the better idea and killer - a child diddler/murderer that can get you in your sleep? :scared: But somehow they were only able to turn that idea into about 2 1/2 good to great movies. Otherwise, as scoresman said- the quality falls off a cliff. Mostly because the scariness is gone when your villain is doing the talk show circuit and more interesting in cracking dumb one-liners.

Friday stuck to its core - dumb characters, funny kills, boobs. Nightmare was all over the map and didn't know what it was. It's an iconic series, but there are other modern ones I'd watch before it like Scream or hell, even Final Destinations. Nightmare could have been an epic franchise.

But Freddy attacks you in your dreams. No escape. That is what freaked me out when I originally saw it. The concept of something attacking you in your dreams was terrifying.
That’s why I think the original NOES is the best of the lot. The scariest scenario. But it doesn’t translate well for multiple sequels.

That’s why I think the original NOES is the best of the lot. The scariest scenario. But it doesn’t translate well for multiple sequels.

2 is trash.
I remember liking 3
4 was Ok and I don’t really remember much beyond that

Wallstreet not in the top 200 is mindblowing to me.

Hoosiers and The Natural are two of the best sports movies of any decade, not just the 80s.

You still have time to redeem yourself Shuke.

Users who are viewing this thread