What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Next 100 best movies from the 80's (1 Viewer)

8 (tie). Major League
shuke - #28
Lambskin - #1
Scoresman - #49

So many great lines, but my most quoted is "look at this ####ing guy".
Mine is: Jobu needs a refill.

“They serve chili dogs in France?”

One of my all time favorite movies, gets a little sappy and it sucks that it makes me cheer for the “Guardians”, but just a great mix of comedy and emotion, reminds me of how exciting it can be when my team wins a big game

8 (tie). The Naked Gun
Lambskin - #3
shuke - #46
Scoresman - #29

My buddies and I were watching copies of Police Squad on VHS before this came so I was super excited, and was not disappointed. Been too long since I've seen this, need to introduce it to the kids.

Another one I must have watched 100 times, some of the jokes probably went over my head as a kid. Even though it’s a spoof I think it’s one of the funniest movies I’ve ever seen

Who doesn’t randomly yell out “Look it’s Enrico Pallazzo” whenever they see an umpire or sing the wrong words to the national anthem

Or this exchange

• [Frank is interrogating Nordberg about the source of his incident, while Nordberg is only partly conscious from anesthesia, which Frank is incompetently unaware of]
    Frank : Nordberg, it's me, Frank. Now, who did this to you?
    Det. Nordberg : [Struggling to tell the name of the ship he was attacked on] I... Love... You.
    Frank : [Awkwardly] I... love you, too, Nordberg. Who were they?
    Det. Nordberg : [half-consciously] Ship... boat.
    Frank : That's right, Nordberg. A boat. Now, when you're better, we'll go sailing together on a boat. We'll take a cruise just like last year.
    Det. Nordberg : [half-consciously] No... Drugs...
    Frank : Hey, Nurse! Quick! Give this man some drugs! Quick! Can't you see he's in pain? Give him a shot quickly!
    [nurse administers drugs]
    Det. Nordberg : No... no...
    [pulls Frank towards him]
    Det. Nordberg : [half-consciously] Heroin... Heroin, Frank!
    Frank : Uh, Nordberg... that's a pretty tall order. You're gonna have to give me a couple of days on that one.”

10. A Christmas Story
shuke - #12
Scoresman - #7

I know this is a love it or hate it movie. I seem to watch it 5 times every Christmas and it never gets old.
Who hates this movie.

Terrible people that’s who!

It probably stems from my MIL having the TBS marathon on ALL
DAY when we would go over there

I probably would have had it Top 25, but when I was making the list I just wasn’t in the mood

7. Beetlejuice
shuke - #56
Lambskin - #5
Scoresman - #14

I remember seeing this at the drive in with the family. As a kid I thought Geena Davis was hotter than a thousand suns.

Liked it a lot, another one the wife loves, we actually dressed up as Beetlejuice and red dress Lydia for Halloween one year (I probably should have had 70s suit instead of the black and white pinstripes but they at least had an off the shelf costume for me). Also last Halloween I had to catch up with everyone for neighborhood trick or treat (forget why) but I threw my Elvis costume on (went as Zombie Elvis years ago) but apparently I grabbed the Lydia wig instead of the Elvis wig

Saw the musical last fall, pretty entertaining

Also they had a pretty cool cartoon for us youngins

12. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
shuke - #31
Scoresman - #2

Thousands times better than Temple of Doom. The Ford/Connery chemistry is pretty damn good.

I don't know if I have ever seen it but in my mind I was always under the impression that this was a terrible movie. I am not sure where I got that impression as I really don't think I have seen it. I just thought it was the third movie in the series so it must not be very good and just a money grab. Don't know why I have never given it a chance. Very odd. I guess I will have to give it a go.
Dude……far far from a terrible movie lol!! Arguably the best Indiana Jones movie…for me it is right there with Raiders….and thinking about it….tied with it.

6. They Live
shuke - #32
Lambskin - #21
Scoresman - #21

More Carpenter awesomeness. Possibly the longest fist fight in the history of cinema? Still waiting for Roddy to acknowledge this tweet.
I’d have lower personally but very, very 80’s.
I love They Live.

But there is yet still another Carpenter movie from the 80’s that has still not been mentioned…..a hint…..green liquid.
That was on my list!

7. Beetlejuice
shuke - #56
Lambskin - #5
Scoresman - #14

I remember seeing this at the drive in with the family. As a kid I thought Geena Davis was hotter than a thousand suns.
Couldn't believe this didn't make the original list.
I have soured on Burton movies a bit, and Beetlejuice wasn't one of my favorites to begin with. We had Pee Wee and Batman from him in the first 100.

Several great movies listed yesterday and 100% what I thought would be on these lists. Naked Gun on my list, Major League would be in my next 100. They Live is one like Running Man where I absolutely love the idea, but the movie is a bit 'meh' for me now and would probably get placed in my next 100.

Great selections, gentlemen. Only 5 left and still tons of great movies out there. :popcorn:

All solid picks here. It was probably 2 decades after it's release that I saw "They Live" but it holds up well and does have one of the greatest fight scenes of all time. Major League is just greatness and one of the top baseball movies of all time.

7. Beetlejuice
shuke - #56
Lambskin - #5
Scoresman - #14

Couldn't believe this didn't make the original list.
I have soured on Burton movies a bit, and Beetlejuice wasn't one of my favorites to begin with. We had Pee Wee and Batman from him in the first 100.
That nostalgia thing! Always loved this goofy *** movie.....great cast....fun movie

Beetlejuice is my kind of weird, unlike Wes Anderson weird.

18. Evil Dead 2
Scoresman - #24
shuke - #33

So much fun. Answers the question, what if a B-movie was actually really good.
I know Evil Dead was chosen in the original list because it was the original......right? ED2 is the better movie though if you put em side by side.....it's a "re-quel" but it's flat out awesome......imo, Bruce Campbells best performance.....love Army of Darkness, and Ash vs Evil Dead.

Shop smart.....shop S-mart

8 (tie). The Naked Gun
Lambskin - #3
shuke - #46
Scoresman - #29

My buddies and I were watching copies of Police Squad on VHS before this came so I was super excited, and was not disappointed. Been too long since I've seen this, need to introduce it to the kids.

had some funny moments...borderline top 200 for me. Kind of like "Top Secret"...didn't love it as much as most others.

8 (tie). The Naked Gun
Lambskin - #3
shuke - #46
Scoresman - #29

had some funny moments...borderline top 200 for me. Kind of like "Top Secret"...didn't love it as much as most others.
Have to agree here. A lot of good one liners but IMO not as funny now as it used to be - especially compared to, say, Airplane.

The baseball montage is classic though and I’m fine to watch just that portion.

8 (tie). The Naked Gun
Lambskin - #3
shuke - #46
Scoresman - #29

Have to agree here. A lot of good one liners but IMO not as funny now as it used to be - especially compared to, say, Airplane.

I haven’t watch in a long time but the scene where he stabs the fish with the pen, burns down Ricardo Montobaun‘s office, assaults the male gargoyle had me crying in the theater. I still remember this like 35 years later.

Curious what people think the top 5 will be (not what they personally think it should be).

Asking @Dan Lambskin to edit his spoiler.
How many sequels does Scoresman have?

2 I have been waiting on with this crew are Beverly Hills Cop 2 and A Nightmare on Elm Street. Because all of the others by him seemed to be picked I guess The Dead Zone should be another guess. The hardest part on the guess is Skuke since all 3 had these on their list and he seems to actually have taste in movies. ;) I will go Footloose and Say Anything.

Obviously, if Scores has more than 1 sequel on the list then I have to rethink answers a bit.

8 (tie). The Naked Gun
Lambskin - #3
shuke - #46
Scoresman - #29

I haven’t watch in a long time but the scene where he stabs the fish with the pen, burns down Ricardo Montobaun‘s office, assaults the male gargoyle had me crying in the theater. I still remember this like 35 years later.
Entering without a search warrant, destroying property, arson; sexual assault with a concrete dildo?

• Mayor : Drebin, I don't want anymore trouble like you had last year on the South Side. Understand? That's my policy.
    Frank : Yes. Well, when I see 5 weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of 100 people, I shoot the bastards. That's *my* policy.
    Mayor : That was a Shakespeare-In-The-Park production of "Julius Caesar", you moron! You killed 5 actors! Good ones.

8 (tie). Major League
shuke - #28
Lambskin - #1
Scoresman - #49

So many great lines, but my most quoted is "look at this ####ing guy".
So hadn't seen the non TBS version in a long time. Had some of the wife's friends over and for some reason started talking baseball which led to this movie. They hadn't seen it. Their kids were 10 ish and just starting to get into baseball so I suggested we fire up the DVD. I couldn't believe how much cussing was in this. I totally forgot since I usually just get pieces of the movie on TBS which was edited.

Let's just say my wife's friend was a little perturbed with me since we were watching it with the kids....hahahah

Users who are viewing this thread