What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Next 100 best movies from the 80's (1 Viewer)

5. Sorority Babes In The Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama
shuke - #45
Lambskin - #2
Scoresman - #12

I included this near the bottom of my list for nostalgic reasons (I have many fond memories of this movie, most of which I can't discuss on this board). But I was shocked it was on the other two lists, especially so high. It's uncanny. We've been laughing about this over PM all week.

This is why the 80s is the best decade for movies, and why your list cant be a representative list if it's not full of cheese.

4. Nightmare on Elm Street
shuke - #5
Lambskin - #6
Scoresman - #36

A lot of talk about this already in this thread, and the other one, and rightfully so. This may be the perfect horror movie.

I remember watching this for the first time one night at my friend's, I was probably 12. I had to walk home afterwards. It was probably only 8 houses down the street but felt like a half mile.
My brother was 10 years older, he rented this so I’m guessing I was like 6 or 7 when I first saw it…scared the piss out of me

2 (tie). National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
shuke - #27
Lambskin - #4
Scoresman - #1

This is relatable to any family man who only wanted the perfect holiday for his family, or anyone that had a father that was the same way.
Been watching this every Christmas for the last I don’t know how many years. So good

Aunt Bethany is such an underrated character
We watch it at least once, but usually 2 or 3 times every Christmas season

Loved Vacation and Christmas Vacation. As the list was winding down I totally expected these to make the cut. Both are head and shoulders above the European Vacation. Christmas Vacation grew on me over time.

I expected Spaceballs on the list but when we got to the top ten I thought it might have been overlooked.

Poltergeist scared the crap out of me, I was way too young to watch that movie, but I did. Ditto for Nightmare on Elm Street. That one made it hard to go to sleep in the same way as Jaws made it hard to step into any body of water.

5. Sorority Babes In The Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama
shuke - #45
Lambskin - #2
Scoresman - #12

I included this near the bottom of my list for nostalgic reasons (I have many fond memories of this movie, most of which I can't discuss on this board). But I was shocked it was on the other two lists, especially so high. It's uncanny. We've been laughing about this over PM all week.

There are no words

You presumably chose this over Wallstreet and the natural

10. A Christmas Story
shuke - #12
Scoresman - #7

I know this is a love it or hate it movie. I seem to watch it 5 times every Christmas and it never gets old.

glaring oversight as far as I'm concerned....a national treasure.

Well done.
It’s odd to think this and Porky’s have the same director (Bob Clark) because the subject matter is so different. But once you realize that, you notice how much the two films share aesthetically.

This is one I overlooked that probably would have made my top 50 for some reason I thought it was a 90s movie

Tampopo - Two Japanese milk-truck drivers (Tsutomu Yamazaki, Ken Watanabe) help a restaurant owner (Nobuko Miyamoto) learn how to cook great noodles

Christmas Vacation is the movie we start the season with every year on Thanksgiving night. You see the same jokes every year but I still laugh every time. I would rank it higher than the original.

Hoosiers does seem like a whiff. Good job to all of you rankers for putting yourselves out there. What I have learned is that if I was going to hang out and watch movies with someone, it would be Shuke.

10. A Christmas Story
shuke - #12
Scoresman - #7

I know this is a love it or hate it movie. I seem to watch it 5 times every Christmas and it never gets old.

glaring oversight as far as I'm concerned....a national treasure.

Well done.
It’s odd to think this and Porky’s have the same director (Bob Clark) because the subject matter is so different. But once you realize that, you notice how much the two films share aesthetically.
wikkid and I once exchanged PMs about this very subject. He pointed me to a story he told in this thread. He had this as an add-on to the story:Yeah, she was WonderWoman. It was an awful 15-minute student-project flick, but Betsy - who i went to the jr-high prom with, who talked me out to NM when her boyfriend split her commune (went out and found the commune was 6 guys and like 40 centerfold-quality hippie chicks - i was never happier than when her bf returned), who, past 60 now, STILL gets her sexbounce of a walk checked out by her sons' friends, - watched it to arousal for years after. Probably watches it like Norma Desmond to this day.

I am a little surprised Say Anything didn't chart anywhere in the top 200. I recall watching a year end review where Ebert said Say Anything was the best film of the year. Seemed like a miss, but I don't see anyone complaining so maybe its just me.

You guys did include a few I didn't expect but was happy to see on the list. Dead Calm was a pretty good pull for a not very well-known movie. Brainstorm was another.

Here's a few others I thought could end up on the list but I'm not bothered didn't
Repo Man
War Games
Romancing the Stone
Time Bandits
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Withnail & I
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
Flash Gordon (haven't seen this in 40 years, but I thought it was awful/awesome if that makes sense)
Das Boot

Another classic missed, Stir Crazy! As I am looking for movies to download for a flight on Monday, I realize what a great decade for movies the 80's was.

Baker's Sweet 16 Not Selected:

Class of 1984
Repo Man
Star 80
Pope of Greenwich Village
A Soldier's Story
Sid & Nancy
Basket Case
Return of the Living Dead
NoES III - Dream Warriors
Broadway Danny Rose
Suburbia
Texas Chainsaw Massacre II
Matewan
The Long Good Friday
Times Square
Liquid Sky
Prince of the City

I'm glad it's just the three of us in here talking about our own picks.
Sorry, Sat Night wasn't the best spot. I love both those Chevy movies. Surprised they came out 1 and 2. I had the original at 83 on my list. I guess it's not KP's thing.

I'm glad it's just the three of us in here talking about our own picks.
Sorry, Sat Night wasn't the best spot. I love both those Chevy movies. Surprised they came out 1 and 2. I had the original at 83 on my list. I guess it's not KP's thing.
We had the opposite ones on our list. You the OG and me Christmas. I like Vacation more than most comedies around that time, but not quite for my personal 100. Not big on Chevy as I've said.

Users who are viewing this thread