What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you overweight by the BMI tables? (2 Viewers)

Do you weigh over a what's considered a healthy weight on the BMI tables for your height?

• yes

Votes: 90 67.7%
  • no

Votes: 43 32.3%

• Total voters
FWIW, a while back, I was in the best shape of my life training for a couple of Iron Man triathlons and was eating pretty normally. And obviously training a ton. And still was around 190 which would be overweight on the chart. :shrug:
And this is an example of the 10% to whatever where BMI fails. A large majority of dudes who are your height and your weight are not training for triathlons and are just overweight.

I think I read that moderately overweight adults (like BMI between 25 and 29) actually had the longest lifespans, or that it wasn't statistically significantly different than BMI beneath between 20-25. Not sure if that's true or not.

I think I read that moderately overweight adults (like BMI between 25 and 29) actually had the longest lifespans, or that it wasn't statistically significantly different than BMI beneath between 20-25. Not sure if that's true or not.
So 25 is the sweet spot. 😉

I shortened this up a good bit so as not to introduce too many extraneous things. I was born in poor health, was sick a lot as a kid. As a result I never developed a big frame and a body to fill it out (5'7", 141). I've made an effort over the years to not add surplus weight to my small frame, basically to spare my body the work of carrying extra weight around. And I got a decent amount of exercise when I was younger. The problems I have now all stem from high blood pressure, which began after the first and only time I've had the flu and has never stopped. My blood pressure was always low before that.

Back to the BMI topic, when I'm physically able, which is 3-4 days a week, I still exercise at home and do what I can to make myself better. For a 70 y.o. guy who's having trouble with walking and balance and blood pressure, I feel pretty fortunate. I still have a decent shot at getting better and I'm glad I never burdened my body with extra weight. My body's already got enough work to do.

Last edited:
Wow what a story. I'm your height but with 30 more lbs which is why I'm overweight and working on it.

FWIW, a while back, I was in the best shape of my life training for a couple of Iron Man triathlons and was eating pretty normally. And obviously training a ton. And still was around 190 which would be overweight on the chart. :shrug:
Why did you stop training?

Two Ironmans was enough for me. I don't believe my body was meant to keep up that level indefinitely. Shifted to less and different training after that.

:shrug: 185 at 6’ so “overweight” (25.1) At 14% body fat. No desire to lose any weight. I’d like to get down to 12% BF this summer but it’s not a huge priority.
I’m healthy, cycle with the A group in our tri club, bench my body weight 12x, workout ~400 hours a year, run is slower than in my prime (and lower weight) but at 46 I’m okay.

Two Ironmans was enough for me. I don't believe my body was meant to keep up that level indefinitely. Shifted to less and different training after that.
My experience with marathoning was similar. I enjoyed training right up until the point that I didn't, and for me that was a realization that I already run my last marathon and just didn't have any inner desire to do another one. One's willingness to get out of bed to log a mid-week 12-miler very quickly evaporates when there's no longer an end goal that you're building toward. That goes a long way toward explaining why the 30-30 AG is so loaded and the 50+ AG is comparatively empty.

You all are welcome over in the 10K thread.

I thought BMI was bunk and that I carried muscle when I was 190-195 (I'm ~6'2-6'3 and always round up to 6'3 for the BMI calculation).

I started running and I've dropped 20 lbs. I actually eat more now than what used to. I honestly would like to replace a couple lbs with more muscle to get to what I would consider ideal. But, I will say going through the body change process makes me realize how bad of shape I really was in previously and that I just put blinders on to make myself feel better.

I didnt look at the study you are referencing (US only?), but fatter people are typically from richer countries and will live longer.

My experience with marathoning was similar. I enjoyed training right up until the point that I didn't, and for me that was a realization that I already run my last marathon and just didn't have any inner desire to do another one. One's willingness to get out of bed to log a mid-week 12-miler very quickly evaporates when there's no longer an end goal that you're building toward. That goes a long way toward explaining why the 30-30 AG is so loaded and the 50+ AG is comparatively empty.
I completely understand, and don’t believe any body is meant to run marathons indefinitely, alone or in combination with other stuff. Although I still exercise most days, I’ve given up a lot of activities the last decade or so. But given middle aged people are generally able to endure suffering longer than their younger peers, and one can always create new goals, I wonder what determines who maintains the fire longer?

I still love skiing, for example, and am willing go all day, without breaks on powder days. Ultimately, that’s more of a fun than competitive activity, for me at least. Running/cycling/lifting were always kinda a chore. Then again, I logged far more hours in each than skiing, so maybe it’s just the relative novelty that delays burn out? I guess if that were the case, we could just pick up a new sport/activity every few years. But potential for injury starts to factor in at some point, plus competing priorities from work/family/etc. Extra weight just adds to the inertia, literally and figuratively.

Last edited:

Yes. I've been flirting with the idea of doing another. I certainly have more time now with my kids grown. But not sure about how much my body will cooperate. Swim and bike would be ok. But not sure on the run.

There have been many studies showing an obesity paradox- higher BMI being associated with better outcomes. BTW, data from COVID generally shows worse outcomes associated with obesity. The reasons for the paradox could be weight loss due to illness, smoking, protection offered by medications taken more frequently by overweight people, education, there are many potential confounds. Maybe the BMI norms need to be adjusted. Extreme obesity is definitely bad. Waist to hip ratio could be better than BMI. My BMI is 21.8, in the middle of normal, but people think I'm thin. Check out the actors on any TV show from the 70s or earlier ... that must be where the BMI standards came from.

There's also a Hispanic mortality paradox, Hispanics live longer than non-Hispanic whites and blacks, even though they have lower income, education, and higher rates of obesity (compared to whites). Lots of possible explanations: the paradox isn't real, family bonds, more exercise on the job, even consumption of more beans.

There have been many studies showing an obesity paradox- higher BMI being associated with better outcomes. BTW, data from COVID generally shows worse outcomes associated with obesity. The reasons for the paradox could be weight loss due to illness, smoking, protection offered by medications taken more frequently by overweight people, education, there are many potential confounds. Maybe the BMI norms need to be adjusted. Extreme obesity is definitely bad. Waist to hip ratio could be better than BMI. My BMI is 21.8, in the middle of normal, but people think I'm thin. Check out the actors on any TV show from the 70s or earlier ... that must be where the BMI standards came from.

There's also a Hispanic mortality paradox, Hispanics live longer than non-Hispanic whites and blacks, even though they have lower income, education, and higher rates of obesity (compared to whites). Lots of possible explanations: the paradox isn't real, family bonds, more exercise on the job, even consumption of more beans.

This pro obesity paradox uses backwards logic similar to smoking with many flaws. The central flaw is that it overweights the end of life weight where frail people tend to lose significant bodyweight for cancer or diabetic high blood sugar. This makes it appear they died skinny therefore skinny bad:fat good, but what got them in the death spiral was ignored.
COVID did a good job of highlighting these flaws by spiking a new morbidity.

But damn near everyone in the 50s to 70s seemed at weight and now we're not and some of us can't even get there without a lot of work. Wtf happened

But damn near everyone in the 50s to 70s seemed at weight and now we're not and some of us can't even get there without a lot of work. Wtf happened
1. Processed foods and sugar sweetened beverages.
2. Bigger portions.
3. Electronic diversions and other technological advances enabling a sedentary lifestyle.

What hasn’t happened: Meaningful changes in genetics, or increases in lean tissue across the population.

None of this is BMI’s fault.

2. Bigger portions.
3. Electronic diversions and other technological advances enabling a sedentary lifestyle.

What hasn’t happened: Meaningful changes in genetics, or increases in lean tissue across the population.

All true.

And significant decreases in smoking rates.

2. Bigger portions.

All true.

In the 1960's 42% of the adult population smoked, and 13% were obese (with some overlap). Now, ~42% are obese, while 11% smoke.

It's an interesting association, for sure. But smokers only have BMIs about one point lower, on average, than non-smokers. And heavy smokers are actually more likely to be obese.

ETA Average BMI increased from ~25 in 1960 to 29.3 in 2016. It’s probably 30+ today.

Last edited:
2. Bigger portions.

I think these are spot on.

Food science and technology has advanced like any other technology. Mostly in the area of how to get the customer to buy more of the product. And they're really good at their jobs.

I just listened to some bone broth pitch. To improve your gut and other stuff.

I think there were avocados and greenish bananas in there as part of it, too, but that was more as part of a healthy diet, not WITH the bone broth.

So it's for your gut. And then of course they added joints, sleep and I can't remember what else, as benefits. Probably memory.

Once the price for Ozempic (Semaglutide) and all the T2 Diabetes drugs being taken for weight loss by rich people becomes affordable and insurance covers it, our obesity problems will be a thing of the past. In 10 years, taking Semaglutide et al will be as common as taking statins for high cholesterol. We'll be fine, guys. Right?
I hate that we are at the point where we need drugs to incent weight loss but it wasn't hard to see it coming. We've been chasing that magical pill for melting fat for as long as I can remember.

I keep thinking of the movie WALL-E. We just aren't on the ship yet.

Man is Phil Mickelson going to make a ton off it, that's all I know.

Talk about cashing out (on both fronts). The hour glass (pun intended I guess) has really hit.

I can't blame him.

We stigmatized smoking (good).
We invented the food pyramid and got everybody eating refined carbs all the time (bad).
We invented Doritos -- hyper-delicious, cheap, calorie-rich and nutrition-free foods that are completely ubiquitous (bad).

The 50+ group has either moved to golf, Pickleball, the couch, or triathlon. Cycling and swimming are less hostile to our aging joints.

The 50+ group has either moved to golf, Pickleball, the couch, or triathlon. Cycling and swimming are less hostile to our aging joints.
and disc golf

:coffee:

and disc golf

yes - do we need to start specifying disc golf, ball golf, top golf, mini golf, resin (or corn) filled bag golf..?

Edit to add - what other activities are we projecting things into undefended holes from a distance?

Last edited:

and disc golf

yes - do we need to start specifying disc golf, ball golf, top golf, mini golf, resin (or corn) filled bag golf..?

Edit to add - what other activities are we projecting things into undefended holes from a distance?

Baby making?

I shortened this up a good bit so as not to introduce too many extraneous things. I was born in poor health, was sick a lot as a kid. As a result I never developed a big frame and a body to fill it out (5'7", 141). I've made an effort over the years to not add surplus weight to my small frame, basically to spare my body the work of carrying extra weight around. And I got a decent amount of exercise when I was younger. The problems I have now all stem from high blood pressure, which began after the first and only time I've had the flu and has never stopped. My blood pressure was always low before that.

Back to the BMI topic, when I'm physically able, which is 3-4 days a week, I still exercise at home and do what I can to make myself better. For a 70 y.o. guy who's having trouble with walking and balance and blood pressure, I feel pretty fortunate. I still have a decent shot at getting better and I'm glad I never burdened my body with extra weight. My body's already got enough work to do.
So you're user name is a complete sham...

and disc golf

It's just "golf."

All the other types are inferior imitations (though still fun in their own rights).

All true.

Do you think smoking lowers BMI?
I wouldn't say that smoking should be used as means of weight loss, but nicotine does reduce appetite.

There's a reason that *some* ballerinas say they use the "3 Cs" to keep weight off: Coffee, Cigarettes, and Cocaine. All are known to reduce appetite. Only one of those though doesn't have other deleterious effects.

All true.

I wouldn't say that smoking should be used as means of weight loss, but nicotine does reduce appetite.

There's a reason that *some* ballerinas say they use the "3 Cs" to keep weight off: Coffee, Cigarettes, and Cocaine. All are known to reduce appetite. Only one of those though doesn't have other deleterious effects.

@Terminalxylem listed several reasons why he thinks we've become more overweight.

You added, "And significant decreases in smoking rates."

Do you think a "significant decreases in smoking rates." have contributed to people being more overweight?

I think the weight thing is about 85% what you eat and 15% exercise. Sure, you need some. But mostly I think it's what you eat.
This is true, but it's not the full story, at least not for me.

Exercise, water, and sun. Much, much easier for me to eat well if I was exercising enough to sweat, and was outside on any given day.

I think the statement that 'abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym' is true, but not because exercise isn't good for you, or helpful with weight loss. It's mainly because of the nasty American diet, and exercise doesn't matter if you just put down a 2 liter of Mt Dew.

If one is eating well, and there's no empty calories in the diet, exercise makes a big difference, and you are more likely to see gains, which is motivation.

You can avoid exercise, and lose weight. It just makes it a lot easier. And if you are active, it's also easier to overcome the cheat day.

I'm 6'0" 220 and right on the border of what the BMI chart's overweight/obese classifications. When I was in peak shape as a HS swimmer I was 165lbs. Most people who look at me would not come close to considering me obese, but I'm definitely not skinny like I was 25 years ago.

Despite my weight I am in good shape. My blood pressure is low, my lab work is nearly perfect according to my doctor, and I've picked up cross country mountain bike racing over the last year and a half. I was faster climbing my fat *** up the mountains than people 25 years younger than me and 50lbs lighter than me.

Last year I got my weight down to 180 until Covid derailed everything. Now that I'm able to work out again, I am chipping away at my weight and seeing big gains in my fitness. Eyeing my next couple of races so that I stay motivated to continue training.

I think the weight thing is about 85% what you eat and 15% exercise. Sure, you need some. But mostly I think it's what you eat.
This is true, but it's not the full story, at least not for me.

Exercise, water, and sun. Much, much easier for me to eat well if I was exercising enough to sweat, and was outside on any given day.

I think the statement that 'abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym' is true, but not because exercise isn't good for you, or helpful with weight loss. It's mainly because of the nasty American diet, and exercise doesn't matter if you just put down a 2 liter of Mt Dew.

If one is eating well, and there's no empty calories in the diet, exercise makes a big difference, and you are more likely to see gains, which is motivation.

You can avoid exercise, and lose weight. It just makes it a lot easier. And if you are active, it's also easier to overcome the cheat day.
A 2L Mountain Dew (or 6 cans of beer, roughly) has 960 calories. To offset that amount, a 180 pound male would have to run for an hour at a brisk pace (8min mile), around 7.5 miles. You’d need to walk about four hours for the same benefit.

We stigmatized smoking (good).
We invented the food pyramid and got everybody eating refined carbs all the time (bad).
We invented Doritos -- hyper-delicious, cheap, calorie-rich and nutrition-free foods that are completely ubiquitous (bad).
How do you think the food pyramid contributed to our BMI woes?

ETA I can’t tell if you are pinning refined carbohydrate consumption on the USDA‘s nutrition guidance.

Last edited:
I'm 6'0" 220 and right on the border of what the BMI chart's overweight/obese classifications. When I was in peak shape as a HS swimmer I was 165lbs. Most people who look at me would not come close to considering me obese, but I'm definitely not skinny like I was 25 years ago.

Despite my weight I am in good shape. My blood pressure is low, my lab work is nearly perfect according to my doctor, and I've picked up cross country mountain bike racing over the last year and a half. I was faster climbing my fat *** up the mountains than people 25 years younger than me and 50lbs lighter than me.

Last year I got my weight down to 180 until Covid derailed everything. Now that I'm able to work out again, I am chipping away at my weight and seeing big gains in my fitness. Eyeing my next couple of races so that I stay motivated to continue training.
agree with this, not sure about the % breakdown but they go hand in hand. i exercise quite a bit and therefore while i do eat pretty healthy i eat good food and i don't feel have to restrict quantity too much.

All true.

@Terminalxylem listed several reasons why he thinks we've become more overweight.

You added, "And significant decreases in smoking rates."

Do you think a "significant decreases in smoking rates." have contributed to people being more overweight?
Nicotine is a down regulator of a lot of things. The combined net effect of this is a reduction in metabolism, and hunger. Ozempic and the other drugs actually have an interesting effect pathway that works in that general direction.

Only one of those though doesn't have other deleterious effects.

I'm guessing you were saying this looking for a fish and that fish is me saying cocaine is probably better for you than coffee, depending on the cut.

Coffee is an interesting substance. When consumed in moderation, it's bad for you. When consumed in large amounts, it can help detoxify your liver and whatnot. Or so some studies say.

Users who are viewing this thread