What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

European Trip Planning (1 Viewer)

we just got back from London and Paris- 1st time for the kids (11 and 15... athough they went to Athens and Paris when they were 1 & 5... useless).

felt like just the right ages for them to appreciate things. stayed at picadilly circus- pretty decent central spot in a nice hotel with a pool and squash. our spot in Paris was more of a convenience hotel/apt with a kitchenette... pretty shabby, tbh.

It had basically been since they were born that I had been to London- and it's changed a lot since then. much more global in terms of attitudes, shopping and especially dining. the food in particular had gotten much, much better. also was surprised by how clean everything was. Paris felt pretty much the same as it's always been- although probably brough down a bit by the increased globalization (shopping and dining not improved as a result... although we had a fantastic asian fusion dinner at a trendy/toursity spot called Kong).

loved taking the train from london to paris- so easy.

it was great for the kids to experience different cultures and cities- and we pretty much hit the highlights but tried not to do too much. lots of walking.

If going to Amalfi Coast, this is a must: https://www.capri.com/en/c/capri-whales/i/SHFM9

Rent a power boat yourself and travel around the island of Capri. Did this 6 years ago and it was the highlight of the trip - kids were 11 and 13 at the time. We never anchored, just tooled around and spent lots of time jumping off the boat. Brought a lunch and made it a day.
I second this! Mrs. Yambag and I rented a boat, brought lunch and beverages and spent hours travelling around the island, definite highlight. However I might be in the minority but I preferred the Cinque Terre region to Amalfi, seemed a bit more authentic, cheaper and better food.

If going to Amalfi Coast, this is a must: https://www.capri.com/en/c/capri-whales/i/SHFM9

Rent a power boat yourself and travel around the island of Capri. Did this 6 years ago and it was the highlight of the trip - kids were 11 and 13 at the time. We never anchored, just tooled around and spent lots of time jumping off the boat. Brought a lunch and made it a day.
I second this! Mrs. Yambag and I rented a boat, brought lunch and beverages and spent hours travelling around the island, definite highlight. However I might be in the minority but I preferred the Cinque Terre region to Amalfi, seemed a bit more authentic, cheaper and better food.
I lived in Italy for 4 months as a 19yo and have visited it a few times as a kid and adult... still never been to the Amalfi coast OR Cinque Terre... would love to go to both. Also wanting to get to Sardinia.

We had no interest in walking around Capri at all, so the boat trip was super cool. We stayed in Castiglione di Ravello, basically Atrani, and loved it. Beach, lemons, small restaurants, close to Amalfi. Favorite part of our Italy trip, by far.

We had no interest in walking around Capri at all, so the boat trip was super cool. We stayed in Castiglione di Ravello, basically Atrani, and loved it. Beach, lemons, small restaurants, close to Amalfi. Favorite part of our Italy trip, by far.
@ex-ghost Speak to me about the lemons....Que?

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but how was the Eurostar? I've not used it since going to a mate's stag do in Berlin in 2018, and never used it to Paris at all, always Brussels, just wondering what the quality is like post-cold going around.

Find it hard to believe that I was once able to get Eurostar to Brussels and then DB through to Berlin first class for just 110 euros

Things are starting to come into focus a little bit. Granted this is based on minimal feedback from the wife and son so obviously, it will probably change multiple times. At this point, it's just me piecing a semi-reasonable itinerary together before presenting it to them.

Fly from FLL - LGW
Stay in London for 3 nights with day trip to Lincolnshire to see Harlaxton College. This is where I spent my first year in college. Haven't been back since 1989 and wanted to share with my family. This time period changed my world view so it's a special place for me.

Train from London to Zurich (overnight) via Paris on Eurostar/TGV
Train from Zurich to Milan via Bernina Express. Shoutout to Seat61.com for awesome train information and this great scenic routing
Overnight in Milan (near train station)
Train to Rome
Stay in Rome for 6 nights (schedule TBD)
Train to Naples for 5 nights with day trips to Pompeii, Amalfi, Capri
Train back to Rome (overnight)
Back to Miami/FLL via Rome

As it stands, that's an 18-day trip with extended stays in 3 places: London, Rome, Naples, and two other overnights in Zurich and Milan.

Last edited:

Lemons are a prominent crop on the amalfi coast. They are the best I have ever tasted

Lemons are a prominent crop on the amalfi coast. They are the best I have ever tasted
Agreed and lovely to see in all the trees on the coast.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but how was the Eurostar? I've not used it since going to a mate's stag do in Berlin in 2018, and never used it to Paris at all, always Brussels, just wondering what the quality is like post-cold going around.

Find it hard to believe that I was once able to get Eurostar to Brussels and then DB through to Berlin first class for just 110 euros
It was decent. We're used to taking Amtrak in the states- Acella is kinda like the Eurostar... conncecting NYC with DC and Boston. Eurostar is nicer- and loved having reserved seats. tbh, we didn't even get up at all or go to the cafe car.. probably should have just to check it out.
Things are starting to come into focus a little bit. Granted this is based on minimal feedback from the wife and son so obviously, it will probably change multiple times. At this point, it's just me piecing a semi-reasonable itinerary together before presenting it to them.

Fly from FLL - LGW
Stay in London for 3 nights with day trip to Lincolnshire to see Harlaxton College. This is where I spent my first year in college. Haven't been back since 1989 and wanted to share with my family. This time period changed my world view so it's a special place for me.

Train from Zurich to Milan via Bernina Express. Shoutout to Seat61.com for awesome train information and this great scenic routing
Train to Rome

As it stands, that's an 18-day trip with extended stays in 3 places: London, Rome, Naples, and two other overnights in Zurich and Milan.
fwiw... I lived briefly in Milan a loooong time ago. Under-rated city, IMO- most like NYC in Italy... for better and worse. Feel like most people don't give it a look- it's worth it, although certainly if it's between Rome, Florence and Venice, it's in 4th place by a pretty long stretch.

It was decent. We're used to taking Amtrak in the states- Acella is kinda like the Eurostar... conncecting NYC with DC and Boston. Eurostar is nicer- and loved having reserved seats. tbh, we didn't even get up at all or go to the cafe car.. probably should have just to check it out.

Fly from FLL - LGW

Train to Rome

fwiw... I lived briefly in Milan a loooong time ago. Under-rated city, IMO- most like NYC in Italy... for better and worse. Feel like most people don't give it a look- it's worth it, although certainly if it's between Rome, Florence and Venice, it's in 4th place by a pretty long stretch.
My wife and son were in Northern Italy last summer for a couple of weeks and spent some time in Milan so they have been there, done that recently. No need to extend a stay there this time although they are excited about getting the dumplings at the train station (?). I think they went there three times for the dumplings on that trip. LOL.

Fly from FLL - LGW

Train to Rome

My wife and son were in Northern Italy last summer for a couple of weeks and spent some time in Milan so they have been there, done that recently. No need to extend a stay there this time although they are excited about getting the dumplings at the train station (?). I think they went there three times for the dumplings while they were there. LOL.
nice. when I was there, the train station was over-run with "gypsies". pick-pocketing galore. didn't want to go or hang anywhere near there if you could avoid it. good lord... that was 35 years ago- probably changed since then.

Fly from FLL - LGW

Train to Rome

This seems great. Except 3 days in London including one day spent elsewhere on a day trip means you won't see much of London. Remember you will be jet lagged. But if you'd rather spend time taking scenic train rides through Europe, can't argue with that. IT actually sounds amazing. That said, your first day in Rome you all will probably be exhausted, so plan that day accordingly.

If you can find a way definitely go to Windsor Castle. It is the oldest and largest occupied castle in the world and is about an hour drive from London.

It's an amazing experience.

Fly from FLL - LGW

Train to Rome

This seems great. Except 3 days in London including one day spent elsewhere on a day trip means you won't see much of London. Remember you will be jet lagged. But if you'd rather spend time taking scenic train rides through Europe, can't argue with that. IT actually sounds amazing. That said, your first day in Rome you all will probably be exhausted, so plan that day accordingly.
We may stay for an extra day there but I have spent a lot of time in London as has my wife so it’s really more of a “transition to Euro time” kind of place for us.

Fun fact, I proposed to my wife at the precise location within the Tower of London where ten people were beheaded including three queens of England: Anne Boleyn, second wife of Henry VIII; Catherine Howard, Henry's fifth wife and Lady Jane Grey.

Yes, I continue to be quite the romantic…

Fly from FLL - LGW

Train to Rome

We may stay for an extra day there but I have spent a lot of time in London as has my wife so it’s really more of a “transition to Euro time” kind of place for us.

Fun fact, I proposed to my wife at the precise location within the Tower of London where ten people were beheaded including three queens of England: Anne Boleyn, second wife of Henry VIII; Catherine Howard, Henry's fifth wife and Lady Jane Grey.

Yes, I continue to be quite the romantic…
We saw that exact spot last week... had a bit to eat on a bench next to it.

Remember you will be jet lagged
Flying to Europe one should not be jet lagged. Take the red eye, sleep on the plane, wake up in need of a double espresso, shower at the hotel, and you good.
yeah... we were tired last week (I didn't sleep at all on the Virgin flight... they had me 16" across from the toilet door. surprising that thing got used ALL flight- flash of light, slam of door... wake up!)... but I wouldn't call it jet lagged. the jet lag was after our return.. but not terrible waking up early).

I wish I could sleep on planes
There's a recipe, you just gotta figure out what yours might be. Red wine/beer/edible/Tylenol PM/muscle relaxer. Whatever. Need to attack the problem.
I am a muscle relaxer+ red wine in the lounge+ window seat guy myself. Asleep before the welcome video finishes. 😴

Although if your flight is delayed, gotta change planes whatever, things can get exciting. Worth the risk.

I wish I could sleep on planes
There's a recipe, you just gotta figure out what yours might be. Red wine/beer/edible/Tylenol PM/muscle relaxer. Whatever. Need to attack the problem.
I am a muscle relaxer+ red wine in the lounge+ window seat guy myself. Asleep before the welcome video finishes. 😴

Although if your flight is delayed, gotta change planes whatever, things can get exciting. Worth the risk.

I am the world's most finicky sleeper. I've been on high doses of ambien on flights and still stayed awake. It's nothing to do with anxiety of flying. I just can't sleep in an upright position.

After looking at airfares, I'm changing around my possible entry/exit points into Europe.

Have found some better rates for flying into and out of Paris versus my original thought of flying into London and out of Rome. Relatively inexpensive high-speed trains in Europe are definitely a game changer when it comes to looking at alternatives. We may fly into Paris now, make our way south and take a high-speed Frecciarossa train from Naples to Paris on the penultimate day before flying out of Paris.

That would nix the England part of the trip this time and we would spend 3-4 days in Paris instead of London.....

Glad to see there are still some decent options for flights and not too expensive compared to my expectations. Right now I am looking at ~$1000/person round-trip which isn't horrible. Also have some points on AA and Chase that I could potentially use to bring the costs down further.

If you go to Paris be sure to get the Creme Brulle. They can't make it right in the US, with the exception of one time I had it in Manhattan.

Last edited:
Right now I am looking at ~$1000/person round-trip

You may want to seriously look into the Excursionist perk from United.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/maximize-united-excursionist-perk/ Explanation of Excursionist perk

You very well might be able to book Florida to Paris, then Paris to Naples, and Naples to Florida for less money.

It's an open jaw flight, and they can be cheaper than regular round trip tickets.

I'm sure that there are some fairly decent price breaks on flights if you stop over at Rejkjavik, it might not be ideal for your itinerary and any savings you make would be lost if you ordered a beer (I'm still paying off a round in Stockholm from last year and Iceland is worse), but maybe something to consider. Certainly less cool places you could have a day in

I'm sure that there are some fairly decent price breaks on flights if you stop over at Rejkjavik, it might not be ideal for your itinerary and any savings you make would be lost if you ordered a beer (I'm still paying off a round in Stockholm from last year and Iceland is worse), but maybe something to consider. Certainly less cool places you could have a day in
There are a few airlines that offer 24-48 layovers. I know that IcelandAir is one (TAP is another through Lisbon) as I was there in August. It was my final destination so I got to explore the area for a few days before hopping on a ship. Would love to go back and do some more exploring further afield from Reykjavik but that's not going to happen this trip.

Still looking at air options.

Looks like I can use my American Airline miles + $700 to get us all from MIA to London Heathrow in Premium Economy. For some reason, there is a hell of a deal on the code-share British Airways flights of 40k miles each way in Premium Economy. That's just dumb.

Flying back, the best option may be French Bee (Discount carrier from France, previously known as French Blue). We can get from Paris Orly to Miami non-stop for about $2200 in Premium Economy. I don't have enough miles to get the same deal back to Miami on AA/BA and buying 120k miles would cost me $3400.

Still looking at some alternative permutations of flights but the above is the current leader in the clubhouse.

All in, we're talking $1000 each to fly to Europe and back in Premium Economy in the summer.....6 weeks before our departure date. That's pretty damn good for booking so late.

So our major stops will be London (3 nights), Rome (5 nights), Naples (4 nights) and Paris (3 nights).

Total trip will be 19 days. Budget is $12k-$14k which covers flights ($3k), trains ($1.2k for 1st class travel intra-Europe), hotels (@$250/night), meals ($50 pp/per day) + other expenses ($100/day).

Hope to get flights finalized by Wednesday at the latest. I have a hold on my AA tickets until 4/21.

Booked the outbound flights on AA with miles. Starting to look at hotels and holy crap they are crazy expensive in London and Rome at least. It's still early in the summer season but damn.

I use Marriott.com as a guide as they have a broad range of brands and price points. Looking at what's out there, it's easily $400+/night. I'm starting to look at VRBO and AirBNB for some options now.

Only adding Munich / Bavaria and Rothenberg in pre-Xmas is a great area to visit.
Looks like we are skipping those this trip. The wife and I are looking at the possibility of doing another river cruise in Europe towards the end of the year, maybe one of the Christmas Market cruises. We'll hit those spots when we do that. Have always heard good things about the markets that time of year.

Only adding Munich / Bavaria and Rothenberg in pre-Xmas is a great area to visit.
Looks like we are skipping those this trip. The wife and I are looking at the possibility of doing another river cruise in Europe towards the end of the year, maybe one of the Christmas Market cruises. We'll hit those spots when we do that. Have always heard good things about the markets that time of year.
Thats when we went and the Christmas Markets are a fun time of year to be there and European cities in general. Munich would be a good city to start from and take trains out to places, stay over night in a spot or two, head over To Salzburg from there.

I could see skipping it for sure in this trip you have planned.

my parents are doing the alma Christmas river bost tour later this year.

and a river boat to Vietnam, france, and tulips festival by end of 2024. I'm not getting any $$$

Also, when i was in Paris I had a pistachio eclair. It was so good my head basically exploded after eating it.

Highly recommended.

Booked the outbound flights on AA with miles. Starting to look at hotels and holy crap they are crazy expensive in London and Rome at least. It's still early in the summer season but damn.

I use Marriott.com as a guide as they have a broad range of brands and price points. Looking at what's out there, it's easily $400+/night. I'm starting to look at VRBO and AirBNB for some options now.
If airbnb make sure you understand how many stairs. We stayed at one and it was 111 steps. One reason you'd want to pack light.

Getting ready to head out next week. Here is the final itinerary:

Fly into London, stay for 3 nights
Take train to Zurich via Brussels for an overnight
Take Bernina Express through the Alps, stay overnight in Milan
Take train from Milan to Rome, stay for 5 nights
Take train from Rome to Sorrento, stay for 4 nights
Take train from Sorrento to Paris via Naples/Milan, stay for 3 nights
Fly home

Booked a Marriott in London. I need 14 more nights at Marriott to get Platinum benefits for life (10 years platinum + 600 total nights) so I need to knock out a few at a reasonable price.
Used Booking.com to book hotels in Zurich and Milan near the train stations. Secured private residences for Rome (a 10-minute walk from Trevi Fountain) and Sorrento. Used my Chase points to book a hotel in Paris that we usually would never book ourselves due to the crazy price. Using points means I am ONLY paying $300/night versus the current $675/night rate). :oops:

We did book a Vatican tour while in Rome and will probably incorporate a few more tours in Rome/Sorrento over the next couple of days. We don't tend to plan our days very much but the Vatican reservation is kind of a must due to low availability. We are looking forward to a wine tasting in Pompeii that a friend is setting up for us. She is opening up a wine bar in Miami and has some connections with a local winery in Pompeii. Also, have a ton of food/restaurant recommendations that I took from FBG and Reddit.

Last edited:
Sounds wonderful…

Only things of note for me: I prefer Lucerne to Zurich

Prefer the northern lakes over Milan

Have a great time 🥂

Users who are viewing this thread