What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Mid Year Song Draft - Start Monday July 10 (1 Viewer)

4. Home Is Where — Yes! Yes! A Thousand Times Yes!

Some emo for you. I’ve never been much of an emo listener other than being a fan of Bright Eyes and Death Cab For Cutie. However, I love this song and this album. The lead singer was heavily influenced by Neutral Milk Hotel and I think you can hear that in this song. Perhaps that’s why I like it so much.

SCS Rd2
Rival Sons - Nobody Wants To Die

SCD Rd3
The Revivalists - When I Got You

Both these albums dropped at the same time a few weeks back and have made for some enjoyable listening.

J

I probably should have gone to see Rival Sons when they were here a couple months ago. It's an outdoor venue and I was actually just going to sit outside and listen, but then it was super wet, so I think I skipped, but maybe it would have been worth paying.

Thus ends the greatest story ever told.

BTW, I've found 2023 to be a banner year for new good tunes and for the most part I'm steering clear of big name artists. The exception being slowthai's Feel Good that has almost 6 million plays on Spotify.

I've actually reordered my list (yep, got a list of 20; well 21 counting 1 snipe so far) from least to most plays in order to hopefully add songs you haven't heard before. There's just so much good stuff this year. Not sure why, but odd numbered years almost always seem to me to have the best music.

So far:
#ArtistSongPlays
1slowthaiFeel Good5,734,009
2Billy Nomatesspite396,649
3Siamese ElephantsMoshing to a Lovesong34,457
4SprintsLiterary Mind405,855
5AJJDissonance507,778
6The Nude PartyRide On598,252

It’s hard to decide on a “strategy” for this draft.

I’ve been avoiding long songs, songs that likely need a lot of repeated listens to like, and some artists that would be a snipe of other drafters (especially if I first learned about the artist from them!)

That said, if I avoid doing that the whole way, my options will get really thin in the late rounds.

Last edited:

3.ee Gorillaz feat. Tame Impala & Bootie Brown - New Gold​

Great tune that Spotify has as released August 2022. Now they've been known to make mistakes but didn't this come out last year?
As a single, yes. However it was also included on the Cracker Island album which dropped in Feb of this year making it eligible.

J

3 of my favorite songs of the year were picked yesterday while I was away!

Here are my two (themed) picked from yesterday - I will post my 2 for today after lunch so as not to hog up the playlist:

J.4 - Cosmic Leash by Chris Farren
J.5 - Liked You Better by Jeff Rosenstock

3.ee Gorillaz feat. Tame Impala & Bootie Brown - New Gold​

Great tune that Spotify has as released August 2022. Now they've been known to make mistakes but didn't this come out last year?
As a single, yes. However it was also included on the Cracker Island album which dropped in Feb of this year making it eligible.

J
Ok so even if a song as a single was last year just was included on a 2023 album, it’s fair game?

Ok so even if a song as a single was last year just was included on a 2023 album, it’s fair game?
I know I've done it in past drafts and have yet to hear any complaints. I'm sure there are others who hold a more rigorous view of what constitutes a songs release date. As someone who mainly consumes music by albums, I consider the release date of the album to be the release date of any song on the album.
I do perform some minor diligence by reviewing our previous song drafts to make sure the song hadn't already been selected when it was released as a single (not looking to snipe someone). As an example would be my 2nd pick in this draft. I just discovered "Nobody Wants to Die" by Rival Sons when the album dropped a few weeks back. It was only when I went to post the link to the YouTube video did I notice the song's been out since October of last year. Having confirmed it wasn't selected in our 2022 Year End Draft I made my selection with confidence.
But that's just my experience. I'll abide by whatever the OP decides since this is his rodeo and I appreciate the thread.

J

I know I've done it in past drafts and have yet to hear any complaints. I'm sure there are others who hold a more rigorous view of what constitutes a songs release date. As someone who mainly consumes music by albums, I consider the release date of the album to be the release date of any song on the album.
I do perform some minor diligence by reviewing our previous song drafts to make sure the song hadn't already been selected when it was released as a single (not looking to snipe someone). As an example would be my 2nd pick in this draft. I just discovered "Nobody Wants to Die" by Rival Sons when the album dropped a few weeks back. It was only when I went to post the link to the YouTube video did I notice the song's been out since October of last year. Having confirmed it wasn't selected in our 2022 Year End Draft I made my selection with confidence.
But that's just my experience. I'll abide by whatever the OP decides since this is his rodeo and I appreciate the thread.

J
I will be taking this issue to the Supreme Court if you continue!

Round 8.am

Sick Day - Teen Mortgage

I've probably heard this song like 50 times and it came up randomly on Spotify when I was letting it play today and I looked and sure enough it is from 2023. Thought it was way older. Slow cancellation of the future, I submit to you.

Users who are viewing this thread