What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Cook, BUF (1 Viewer)

I like Cook’s skillset, however I am not confident Buffalo will use him in the passing game enough to allow him to make the jump in FF. There have also been constant rumblings all off-season of Buffalo being linked to running backs (draft, FA’s, trades). If they do not add anyone else I will still be cautiously optimistic but we have a ways to go until kickoff.
I can see Cook’s PPR value rising if the coaching brass truly intends to limit Allen’s running a bit. I’ll believe it when I see it though because it’s such a weapon.
The coaches and front office have been really pushing hard for Josh to stop taking so many physical risk. It's yet to be seen if Josh is willing to do that but I have no doubt everyone around him is asking him to checkdown more.
All but his millions of fantasy owners 😕
LOL true though if it's dynasty, you may be ok sacrificing some rushes here and there for more longevity.

I like Cook’s skillset, however I am not confident Buffalo will use him in the passing game enough to allow him to make the jump in FF. There have also been constant rumblings all off-season of Buffalo being linked to running backs (draft, FA’s, trades). If they do not add anyone else I will still be cautiously optimistic but we have a ways to go until kickoff.
I can see Cook’s PPR value rising if the coaching brass truly intends to limit Allen’s running a bit. I’ll believe it when I see it though because it’s such a weapon.
The coaches and front office have been really pushing hard for Josh to stop taking so many physical risk. It's yet to be seen if Josh is willing to do that but I have no doubt everyone around him is asking him to checkdown more.
LOL true though if it's dynasty, you may be ok sacrificing some rushes here and there for more longevity.
I’ve got three more years with Joshie on my keeper contract, so I’m a bit torn on his wear and tear.

I’ve got three more years with Joshie on my keeper contract, so I’m a bit torn on his wear and tear.
Yeah, feels like for 3 years you want him to just keep up the same style of play...so long as that doesn't mean getting hurt and losing a year of play due to needing surgery or something. It's a really tough balance as a fantasy manager.

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters
“[James] Cook has been a mainstay on the Bills’ first-team offense through the first four days of practice at St. John Fisher University. He’s flashed on a number of big plays and added another one to the highlight reel on Sunday...Cook’s virtually unguardable in one-on-ones against linebackers and safeties. He has been a consistent presence in the pass game throughout camp, fulfilling the role general manager Brandon Beane foreshadowed when he spoke about selecting Cook in the draft last year.”

The Athletic’s Joe Buscaglia reports James Cook has worked as the Bills’ “far-and-away top back” during training camp.

Buscaglia added Cook “seems destined for at least over half of the offensive snaps this season if he continues this level of play.” The drumbeat for Cook continues after Bills offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey said in late July that Cook — entering his second season — has “three-down back” potential in the Buffalo offense. Cook has been consistently involved in the team’s passing offense during training camp and could function as an outlet for Josh Allen this year. Catching 21 of his 33 regular season targets last season, Cook was 14th among running backs in yards per route run. He’s shaping up as a target for drafters who largely fade running backs in the first few rounds.

#AskFFT @DaveRichard
James Cook is "going to take a large portion of the carries and in the pass game, he's going to be kind of a dual threat guy for us." -- Josh Allen
I want to believe so badly. There’s so much hype, and I roster him in a league where i need my RBs to catch a lucky break. (Hall/Dillon/JCook)

:tebow: to the football gods that James Cook has a breakout szn

#AskFFT @DaveRichard
James Cook is "going to take a large portion of the carries and in the pass game, he's going to be kind of a dual threat guy for us." -- Josh Allen
I want to believe so badly. There’s so much hype, and I roster him in a league where i need my RBs to catch a lucky break. (Hall/Dillon/JCook)

I have him on three teams and will rely on him in two, but I still have some trouble believing, even though I was obviously seeing his potential or I wouldn’t have drafted him. I’m slowly letting myself get more excited. he’s small but at 205, there’s been many backs that started that light and we’re stars. He was a good inside runner in college when used that way. That Buffalo team definitely needs playmakers. While I still have to put them on top of the East, the Phins and Jets are potentially going to push them. Cook could be a playmaker and weapon. I expect Harris to see plenty of run as well, but Cook wont need heavy running game volume to be useful for fantasy.

#AskFFT @DaveRichard

I have him on three teams and will rely on him in two, but I still have some trouble believing, even though I was obviously seeing his potential or I wouldn’t have drafted him. I’m slowly letting myself get more excited. he’s small but at 205, there’s been many backs that started that light and we’re stars. He was a good inside runner in college when used that way. That Buffalo team definitely needs playmakers. While I still have to put them on top of the East, the Phins and Jets are potentially going to push them. Cook could be a playmaker and weapon. I expect Harris to see plenty of run as well, but Cook wont need heavy running game volume to be useful for fantasy.
The receptions have to be there, IMO.

He’s a better back than Singletary, IMO - if he gets Singletary-like opportunity with more receptions, he should be solid.

Hopefully the Bills expressed desire to keep Allen intact leads to more dump-offs. I think the elbow issue scared everyone a little.

Last edited:
James Cook rushed four times for 20 yards and one touchdown in the Bills’ first preseason game.
Cook got the start and played the first two series for the Bills before giving way to Latavius Murray for the remainder of the first half. His score came from eight yards out following an Anthony Richardson interception. Cook appears locked in as the primary early down back for the Bills entering the 2023 season.

I have a feeling this guy won’t last long, 5,11 190lbs, he’s to small for a big roll, Harris will be goaline and much more.
Harris isn’t even going to end up being the #2 RB in Buffalo, so there’s that.
You like Murray as the two or do you think they bring someone else in?
Murray has been playing at least as well as Harris has so far in camp/preseason. He’s the oldest RB in the NFL right now, but every report is that he has shown impressive burst still. He’s bigger than Harris and, Harris’s biggest issue (health) has already been a factor.

Things could always change, but right now, Murray seems to be in position to be the #2 guy.

I don't. But knock your socks off. I go combine weight, because team weight is whatever the player wants. Why Cook would want to be 190 is anybody's guess, but I never go team listing. It makes sense here (why would he list at a weight that hurts his marketability?) so I wouldn't really press it if it was argued differently.

Regardless of 190 or even 200, he is not a 20 carry a game back. He probably loses goal line touches as well. His money should be in the passing game, and this is where I believe Buffalo utilizes him like I think they envisioned when they drafted him.

Regardless of 190 or even 200, he is not a 20 carry a game back. He probably loses goal line touches as well. His money should be in the passing game, and this is where I believe Buffalo utilizes him like I think they envisioned when they drafted him.
Not 20 carry a game guy but he can approach 20 touches a game guy.

I don't. But knock your socks off. I go combine weight, because team weight is whatever the player wants. Why Cook would want to be 190 is anybody's guess, but I never go team listing. It makes sense here (why would he list at a weight that hurts his marketability?) so I wouldn't really press it if it was argued differently.
This is the James Cook thread. James doesn't have marketability ATM. He has three seasons, including 2023, before he's marketable and he has a front row seat to his brother's dilemma. The logic doesn't add up.

We all choose what we want to believe. My personal choice is Occam's Razor says Cook gained weight for the combine. Everything else seems far more complicated IMO.

5'11", 200 lbs is easily a feature back weight.

5'11", 190 lbs is hardly prohibitive either. Plenty of successful backs in that range.

Not 20 carry a game guy but he can approach 20 touches a game guy.
I do not disagree. The hope is Buffalo consistently puts him to use in the passing game this year. I thought it was a perfect marriage when they drafted him last year but that part of the equation only showed glimpses. Hoping this year is different.

5'11", 190 lbs is hardly prohibitive either. Plenty of successful backs in that range.
I don’t disagree that he will be featured, but I do not see too many in that weight range that garner a huge workload.

My personal choice is Occam's Razor says Cook gained weight for the combine

I was agreeing with you. Makes no sense to list at 190 if he's not. Perhaps I didn't make that clear. I just always go with combine weights and heights because for whatever reason, the player is almost always trying to make himself look better. And yes, they are looking down the road at marketability. Even in their first year. They want to be 200 pounds so they don't have to answer questions, too.

That does not appear to be so in this case. He's probably 190. He's much more marketable at 199 than 190, so he'd likely pick 199. So a different Occam's razor tells me 190 it likely is.

I don’t disagree that he will be featured, but I do not see too many in that weight range that garner a huge workload.
Huge workload RBs, relative to what that term meant when we were cutting our teeth in this hobby, feel like a anomaly. 230 touches is closer to the benchmark of a feature back in 2023 (yes I pulled that number out of my fanny perpendicular). When I started this hobby 300 was the benchmark, I think those guys are the exception in today's NFL.

However I don't have the data, maybe the % of 300 touch guys is the same as it was 10, 20 years ago

Huge workload RBs, relative to what that term meant when we were cutting our teeth in this hobby, feel like a anomaly. 230 touches is closer to the benchmark of a feature back in 2023 (yes I pulled that number out of my fanny perpendicular). When I started this hobby 300 was the benchmark, I think those guys are the exception in today's NFL.

However I don't have the data, maybe the % of 300 touch guys is the same as it was 10, 20 years ago
Yeah I don’t think anyone is banking on him becoming the next CMC or Zeke. Just an efficient guy in a high powered offense with big play and reception upside.

I understand and do not disagree. I think he can be FF worthy with 10-14 carries and 3-6 targets in that offense. If you take the high range of that it is 238 carries and a 102 targets. If that were the case he would most likely be in for a heck of a season.

Dwain McFarland
RB James Cook is THE STEAL of drafts.

*86% snaps Week 2 with starters
*75% rush atts
*70% route participation

Damien Harris was out BUT Cook can payoff ADP on route participation alone -- Josh Allen targeted him on 26% of routes in 2022.

Outlook: RB3 floor with RB1 ceiling.

Good sentiment, except I find it hard to imagine RB1 upside, even in PPR. RB2, yes. But RB1 volume would be too much for James at this stage IMO. He is for now best a passing-down RB. Talent is there, but size still lacking.

Lil man's Kamara. So similar, except for size.

Bills see him as a 3 down back… and that’s what they are showing us this year so far

Drafting him everywhere in that offseason. Potential league winner at his price
Couldn't agree more - my most rostered player. I like him so much more than any other mid round RB and you can get him a couple rounds later. I wouldn't even fault someone for reaching a round early. I likely will in drafts scheduled closer to the season.

Love going 2 stud WR, or hero RB and 1 stud WR - getting top 5 QB and top 5 TE and being able to snag what I think is a top 12RB conservatively with a crazy ceiling in the 6-8 round?! Grab Damien Harris at the very end of the draft and I always love my team.

Bills see him as a 3 down back… and that’s what they are showing us this year so far

Couldn't agree more - my most rostered player. I like him so much more than any other mid round RB and you can get him a couple rounds later. I wouldn't even fault someone for reaching a round early. I likely will in drafts scheduled closer to the season.

Love going 2 stud WR, or hero RB and 1 stud WR - getting top 5 QB and top 5 TE and being able to snag what I think is a top 12RB conservatively with a crazy ceiling in the 6-8 round?! Grab Damien Harris at the very end of the draft and I always love my team.

If you don't mind me asking, what other similarly ranked mid-round RB's are you drafting Cook ahead of? For personal reasons, I'm trying to decide which 2 RB's to keep as my 7th/8th round picks and am torn between Cook, Dobbins, & Walker III.

If you don't mind me asking, what other similarly ranked mid-round RB's are you drafting Cook ahead of? For personal reasons, I'm trying to decide which 2 RB's to keep as my 7th/8th round picks and am torn between Cook, Dobbins, & Walker III.

Personally I am picking Cook between all 3 of them, but there is an argument for each one. My argument for choosing Cook is that he is the cheaper option (all of my leagues are auction), the bills are treating him as a 3 down back, he is in a great offense, and has pass catching upside. He goes close to $15-$20 . You could argue that Harris/Murray will take goal line touches, but in PPR leagues he gets the nod for me over the other two guys absolutely.

I think Kenneth Walker is great, but I don't like Charbonnett being there to eat into his load, and potentially being the redzone threat. Still would be happy with him there in re-draft though as I think the Seahawks offense as a whole be better. He goes for closer to $30 in auction.

Dobbins is the one that has the biggest question marks. I think the Ravens offense is going to be awesome this year if everyone stays mostly healthy with their new offense that fits Lamar Jackson's playing style. I actually think Dobbins can catch, and will get more receptions than people think. This issue of course is do you think he will stay healthy. You can say that about every running back though. I would still be happy with him if I landed him and the other guys were gone. Again I am playing in auction leagues where dobbins goes for closer to $30. Where James Cook goes closer to $15-20 so I am picking Cook everytime.

In re-draft I think they are all so close that it really depends on what round you can get each of them in, and getting the best value. Like if Darren Waller is still available I am drafting him over all of them in the 5th round, and than whichever RB falls to me I will go for.

Last edited:

I like him better than those two. But, usually you can get him a round later from the mocks I've done, maybe that is changing. I usually see him around Javonte, Kamara, Akers, Dobbins, Conner area - with him going toward the end of that grouping and I just like him better than all of them. I truly believe Allen will run less this year. And that offense is one you want a big piece of - I will take their 3 down back who will likely see 70%+ snap share. The situation is as ideal as it gets, and Cook has been consistently productive from UGA to Buffalo. Averaged well over 6ypc in college and was right at 6ypc last year.

To me the only fear here is can he hold up to the load as he's slightly undersized. Buffalo seems to think so. But that's why he goes in rd 6-8 rather than way earlier because we haven't seen it.

I've been most successful drafting high floors in the early rounds and high ceilings middle and late. This year James Cook is exactly the type of pick I want a lot of where he is going.

Last edited:
This year James Cook is exactly the type of pick I want a lot of where he is going.
I was finally able to get a share of him in redraft last Sunday. 6.08

I love that value if he’s going to be out there every 3rd down even if he sits carries.

Given Harris’ knee issues, I have a feeling Cook will do more than split.

I have a feeling this guy won’t last long, 5,11 190lbs, he’s to small for a big roll, Harris will be goaline and much more.
Harris isn’t even going to end up being the #2 RB in Buffalo, so there’s that.
I totally disagree, I think Harris is being way too underestimated, I’m personally taking him everywhere, do as you like but I think he gets goal line and plenty more. we shall see.

My gut says this guy doesn't work for our fantasy purposes other then maybe a spot start flex. Honestly, I'd prefer Harris 6 rounds later. Just my humble opinion.

My gut says this guy doesn't work for our fantasy purposes other then maybe a spot start flex. Honestly, I'd prefer Harris 6 rounds later. Just my humble opinion.

I agree with you. Nothing screams bust like a buffalo rb. Plus Harris is a very good back

Also, getting Harris everywhere. If he stays/gets healthy, he will do serious damage.
Why? He’s not a good WR (Cooks is much better), Josh does goal line work, they don’t run a lot so where will he shine? He’s fools gold IMO.

I love situations like Cooks..great offense, best talent among the rb’s, got better as year went on in his rookie year, great speed and power, good receiver, Josh may run the ball less near goal line to save wear and tear.

he’s being drafted at his floor and if a few things work out he can be a top RB. That’s not happening with Harris.

Last edited:
Also, getting Harris everywhere. If he stays/gets healthy, he will do serious damage.
Meh.

From everything I’ve seen, Cook is about as close to a feature back as this Bills team is willing to go.

They love Cook’s pass blocking, so he’s likely to be out there on 3rd down, and he’s been leading the 1st team offense all camp.

IMO Murray & Harris will be fighting for scraps. And Harris already has a hurt knee - lather, rinse, repeat.

I’m happy I got a share of Cook. Wish I had him everywhere.

Why? He’s not a good WR (Cooks is much better), Josh does goal line work, they don’t run a lot so where will he shine? He’s fools gold IMO.

I love situations like Cooks..great offense, best talent among the rb’s, got better as year went on in his rookie year, great speed and power, good receiver, Josh may run the ball less near goal line to save wear and tear.

he’s being drafted at his floor and if a few things work out he can be a top RB. That’s not happening with Harris.
Banger!!!

Meh.

From everything I’ve seen, Cook is about as close to a feature back as this Bills team is willing to go.

They love Cook’s pass blocking, so he’s likely to be out there on 3rd down, and he’s been leading the 1st team offense all camp.

IMO Murray & Harris will be fighting for scraps. And Harris already has a hurt knee - lather, rinse, repeat.

I’m happy I got a share of Cook. Wish I had him everywhere.
I tried to tell you, learn now before it’s to late.

Users who are viewing this thread