What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The force of nature that is Taylor Swift - New Album coming April 2024 (2 Viewers)

What I can't stand is getting reported and suspended for questioning the idolatry shown in this thread.

What I do care about is when a bunch of man-children come out of the woodwork and take the ***** way out instead of directly addressing me.
Yeah, makes sense. This has happened to me too. I can understand being frustrated at this part. I still can't believe people report people around here.

Is world famous and wayyy wayyy more recognizable throughout the world than American Girl famous Taylor Swift.

It's like comparing Ronaldo with Taylor Swift. It's not even close, and not in the way chauvinistic (not the sexist kind, but the real definition of the word) American teeny boppers and their Moms think. Women all over the world know who Ronaldo is, and it's not in the tee hee freak out way that American girls know Taylor.

Don't forget, we're talking less than half of our population vs. the world here. Like Europe. And the Middle East. And Asia. Like China and Japan.

These places don't care a whit about Taylor Swift in the grand scale or scheme of things. But they know Ronaldo.
I don’t think this is correct. Swift is about to embark on the world version of her tour. She is going to Europe, Japan, South America, etc. Every concert has been sold out for months. I have a feeling that she is just as recognizable, at this point, as Messi.

I don’t think this is correct. Swift is about to embark on the world version of her tour. She is going to Europe, Japan, South America, etc. Every concert has been sold out for months. I have a feeling that she is just as recognizable, at this point, as Messi.

You know, I was going to check Q ratings or something like that but didn't really have any idea where to begin.

I just Googled "most famous people in the world"

Messi and Ronaldo consistently finish ahead of Swift in almost all the rankings. Ronaldo doesn't finish outside the top four in any of them.

You know, I was going to check Q ratings or something like that but didn't really have any idea where to begin.
When was the last time Messi played a sold out concert in Japan?

don't play anonymous on this board. People know who I am in real life. To get anonymously reported and have an anonymous mod castigate me in the suspension reason is pissing me off. That's what's making me angry. I thought it wouldn't, but man, does it ever.
I’m with you

Ridiculous how that happens

When was the last time Messi played a sold out concert in Japan?

He was only 15 for the 2002 world cup in Japan, but they probably could have used him - didn't make it out of the group stage.

Messi and Ronaldo consistently finish ahead of Swift in almost all the rankings. Ronaldo doesn't finish outside the top four in any of them.
Fair enough. All I’m saying is your post implied that she is an American star and not a worldwide star. And that’s clearly not the case.

I would guess (I have no exact knowledge) that with the possible exception of Donald Trump, Taylor Swift is the most recognizable American face on the planet.

Messi and Ronaldo stand alone, world wide. You almost have to remove them from the equation to get some proper footing. They may be the most recognizable people in the history of the world, thanks in part obviously to technology.

Messi and Ronaldo stand alone, world wide. You almost have to remove them from the equation to get some proper footing.

Fair enough, but the original post by IK said Messi didn't rise to the same level of fame as Swift. I sort of demurred from that because I know how huge Messi is in the world. Then tim said that was incorrect, though he has now adjusted (?) his point, or if one is less charitable, moved the goalposts.

Messi and Ronaldo stand alone, world wide. You almost have to remove them from the equation to get some proper footing.

Fair enough, but the original post by IK said Messi didn't rise to the same level of fame as Swift. I sort of demurred from that because I know how huge Messi is in the world. Then tim said that was incorrect, though he has now adjusted (?) his point, or if one is less charitable, moved the goalposts.

Maybe he was only talking about America when he said that? No one can match Messi's and Ronaldo's ability to cross languages and cultures.

I think maybe only Michael Jackson can be a fair comparison.

Is world famous and wayyy wayyy more recognizable throughout the world than American Girl famous Taylor Swift.

It's like comparing Ronaldo with Taylor Swift. It's not even close, and not in the way chauvinistic (not the sexist kind, but the real definition of the word) American teeny boppers and their Moms think. Women all over the world know who Ronaldo is, and it's not in the tee hee freak out way that American girls know Taylor.

Don't forget, we're talking less than half of our population vs. the world here. Like Europe. And the Middle East. And Asia. Like China and Japan.

These places don't care a whit about Taylor Swift in the grand scale or scheme of things. But they know Ronaldo.

Going to disagree with you on Japan. I don't have enough meat to disagree with you on the Middle East or China, but I disagree with you on Japan, vehemently. She is incredibly popular over there and I'd be willing to bet that her popularity in Japan is greater than that of Ronaldo's. Not sure how to prove it, but I think I'm right.

This feels like debating about which supermodel is the hottest...the one with the best legs of course (I am a legs man for sure). lol

Comparisons to soccer players aside, all one has to do is look at her concert dates in the next year to see that she is huge all over, not just in the US.

I always thought she was way more attractive than most men find her. She's absolutely my type. She's a solid nine to me if I ever saw her out. Anywhere. Even on the French Riviera in summer. (Which seems like a bucket list thing to me, anyway. Going to the French Riviera and scoping the women.)

This feels like debating about which supermodel is the hottest...the one with the best legs of course (I am a legs man for sure). lol

Comparisons to soccer players aside, all one has to do is look at her concert dates in the next year to see that she is huge all over, not just in the US.

This from The Economist in 2015:

LOS ANGELES: Pop star Taylor Swift delayed flights at Narita International Airport in Chiba, Japan after being mobbed by eager fans.

The 25-year-old "Shake It Off" singer caused at least two arrivals to be delayed when the singer arrived at the airport ahead of her "1989 World Tour", reported Ace Showbiz.

I don't really know her music but watched her NPR Tiny Desk show on Youtube a while back and was absolutely impressed with her talent in that setting - just not my cup 'o tea. I checked out her record a few years ago after reading she made a folk record because I'm a folk music guy, but it just wasn't my jam.

I've watched both Chiefs games since she arrived on the scene and have no problem with the coverage. Its always cool to see crowdshots of celebs at sporting events. I'll be really impressed if she shows up at Lambeau in December.

Can't find the tweet anymore but I ran across a good theory last night. Taylor was catching flak about her private jet use and excessive emissions (she jets everywhere = bad for environment). So her attending the Chiefs/Jets game was a stealthy PR move, because now if you google "Taylor Swift Jets" the results are now blurbs about her at the game, instead of about her actual jet(s).

Edit: Found it https://x.com/BritneyMuller/status/1709280476861518252?s=20

I always thought she was way more attractive than most men find her. She's absolutely my type. She's a solid nine to me if I ever saw her out. Anywhere. Even on the French Riviera in summer. (Which seems like a bucket list thing to me, anyway. Going to the French Riviera and scoping the women.)
I'm almost the opposite. She is not my type at all and I think she is a 6-7 on looks alone.

Messi and Ronaldo stand alone, world wide. You almost have to remove them from the equation to get some proper footing. They may be the most recognizable people in the history of the world, thanks in part obviously to technology.
I know I'm just 1 guy in the whole wide world, but I know their names but couldn't pick either of them out of a line up. I'm also not a soccer fan (or even a casual watcher) so that's 2 strikes against me.
As for Swift, I listen to music so I'm exposed to her one way or another. And maybe b/c she is a woman, but I would think I could identify her much easier than the other 2.

I'm almost the opposite. She is not my type at all and I think she is a 6-7 on looks alone.
well im happy to know that you're not standing in my way. One less dude to get through. lol

I love how some fat old men that were (maybe) lucky enough to find any woman interested in them label Taylor Swift a 6. :lol: If a 5 is average are we really trying to say Taylor is only slightly above average - have any of you seen the average woman out there?
Average is 5.5. I said Taylor was a 6.5 but I agree with offdee's official rating of 7. I had purposely rounded down to rankle the Swifties. I think 7 is at least 1 standard deviation away from 5.5 so she is well above average. On a standard bell curve (this graph may skew left depending upon your city), a 7 is probably around 1 in 6 or 1 in 8. Taylor is good looking but she didn't become a mega-star because of her looks. She is an extremely talented singer/songwriter. What has doomed many of her past relationships may well be that as a mega-star she has been able to date men out of her league. Jake Gyllenhall, John Mayer, there was never a chance of those lasting. Eventually she went steady with ol' Joe and it seemed like she had settled down. Then that ended and she started chasing bad boys again like Matt from the 1979 and now Travis Kelce.

I love how some fat old men that were (maybe) lucky enough to find any woman interested in them label Taylor Swift a 6. :lol: If a 5 is average are we really trying to say Taylor is only slightly above average - have any of you seen the average woman out there?
Average is 5.5. I said Taylor was a 6.5 but I agree with offdee's official rating of 7. I had purposely rounded down to rankle the Swifties. I think 7 is at least 1 standard deviation away from 5.5 so she is well above average. On a standard bell curve (this graph may skew left depending upon your city), a 7 is probably around 1 in 6 or 1 in 8. Taylor is good looking but she didn't become a mega-star because of her looks. She is an extremely talented singer/songwriter. What has doomed many of her past relationships may well be that as a mega-star she has been able to date men out of her league. Jake Gyllenhall, John Mayer, there was never a chance of those lasting. Eventually she went steady with ol' Joe and it seemed like she had settled down. Then that ended and she started chasing bad boys again like Matt from the 1979 and now Travis Kelce.
It was mostly a joke - and I do get people have different tastes. I’m thinking you guys would be surprised how hot she is if she was at a bus stop picking up her kids - but some are using a celebrity scale it seems.

No kidding. People in general are getting...less fit, so the number of attractive people is a smaller percentage than it used to be.

John Mayer is out of her league? Come on, now. As a straight male, I can usually look at guys and be able to tell who the women (or non-straight men) would think are hot. I will give you Gyllenhall. Mayer, no way. And that guy from the 1975 just looks like a goober. :lol:

I have never thought she had sex appeal. But she is objectively beautiful (in my subjective opinion).
I know what you mean about the former. She is more like the girl next door with the way she acts 99% of the time, and the most risque thing she does on stage is shaking her butt to Shake It Off, which is like a 1.2 out of 10 on the risque scale.

Fair enough. All I’m saying is your post implied that she is an American star and not a worldwide star. And that’s clearly not the case.

I would guess (I have no exact knowledge) that with the possible exception of Donald Trump, Taylor Swift is the most recognizable American face on the planet.
Not sure about that. Do you think she's ahead of Kim K, Barack, The Rock, Johnny Depp, Jimmy Pop Ali, etc.?

This is probably too basic of an article for this audience, but my nephew wrote this article for his college newspaper. Please give it a click and quick glance so he can get some good metrics on his material. Thanks!

Not sure about that. Do you think she's ahead of Kim K, Barack, The Rock, Johnny Depp, Jimmy Pop Ali, etc.?

Kim K - 100% yes. Nobody is paying $1,000 a ticket to see Kim K do whatever it is she does.
Barack - 10 years ago no, today yes. Obama has faded from the spotlight, Swift is everywhere.
The Rock - He's not a thing outside of this country. His movies are atrocious and not everybody likes fake sports.
Johnny Depp - 100% yes.
Jimmy Pop Ali, etc. - you list me here. What is Jimmy Pop Ali?

Kim K - 100% yes. Nobody is paying $1,000 a ticket to see Kim K do whatever it is she does.
Barack - 10 years ago no, today yes. Obama has faded from the spotlight, Swift is everywhere.
The Rock - He's not a thing outside of this country. His movies are atrocious and not everybody likes fake sports.
Johnny Depp - 100% yes.
Jimmy Pop Ali, etc. - you list me here. What is Jimmy Pop Ali?
Well, I wasn't exactly talking about how much someone is willing to pay to see the particular celebrity. timschochet said "most recognizable American face" (this could be seeing someone on the street and or even a pic online and knowing who they are). I would say that Taylor Swift is definitely top 10.

Jimmy Pop Ali is the lead singer for The Bloodhound Gang. That was a jokesie.

Just for giggles and bits, The Rock was listed ahead of Taylor Swift in nearly every list I looked at.

Huh. Has he ever made a movie that didn't just suck out loud? I really don't know too much about him other than he's famous but his movies have always looked awful to me. And I quit watching wrestling when I was 9 or 10 so I don't know him from that.

Huh. Has he ever made a movie that didn't just suck out loud? I really don't know too much about him other than he's famous but his movies have always looked awful to me. And I quit watching wrestling when I was 9 or 10 so I don't know him from that.

No, he hasn't to my knowledge.

I quit wrestling at about the same age, so you've got me there, too.

Users who are viewing this thread