What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Kyle Pitts, ATL (1 Viewer)

I think people are too pessimistic on Pitts. He’s very very young. He’s very very capable. He had a tough injury. I’d love this guy in a dynasty league. Although no one knows what the future holds, he seems like a pretty good bet this season. I also like how often he lined up as a receiver last week. I think that’s telling.

I also like how often he lined up as a receiver last week. I think that’s telling.
I read somewhere yesterday he's only ran 15 routes out of the TE position the entire season.

I’m not sure that’s the case but I don’t know for sure. I think a link above in this thread said he was mostly lining up as WR last week but the prior week he was used more as a TE. Again, just what I recall and I might be wrong. Regardless, I very much like when a TE is lining up as a WR and…ideally...performing like one with 8-10 targets, 6-7 receptions and maybe 60-80 yards with a TD every second or third game. That’s pretty good production for a TE that isn’t a future HOFer like Kelce.

I also like how often he lined up as a receiver last week. I think that’s telling.
I read somewhere yesterday he's only ran 15 routes out of the TE position the entire season.

I’m not sure that’s the case but I don’t know for sure. I think a link above in this thread said he was mostly lining up as WR last week but the prior week he was used more as a TE. Again, just what I recall and I might be wrong. Regardless, I very much like when a TE is lining up as a WR and…ideally...performing like one with 8-10 targets, 6-7 receptions and maybe 60-80 yards with a TD every second or third game. That’s pretty good production for a TE that isn’t a future HOFer like Kelce.

Of his 140 routes run, according to ESPN Stats & Information, 47 came lined up in the slot on the left side (with 10 targets and 10 receptions), 37 came in the slot on the right side (eight targets, five receptions), 22 were lined up wide left (three targets, no receptions) and 19 came wide right (seven targets, three receptions).

Pitts has run routes on 15 plays out of the tight end spot with only three targets and no catches.

Of his 140 routes run, according to ESPN Stats & Information, 47 came lined up in the slot on the left side (with 10 targets and 10 receptions), 37 came in the slot on the right side (eight targets, five receptions), 22 were lined up wide left (three targets, no receptions) and 19 came wide right (seven targets, three receptions).

Pitts has run routes on 15 plays out of the tight end spot with only three targets and no catches.

Nice! You were spot on. I love that he’s in the slot so much.

I suspect that I saw how many plays where he lined up versus how many routes by line up position. .

I think people are too pessimistic on Pitts. He’s very very young. He’s very very capable. He had a tough injury. I’d love this guy in a dynasty league. Although no one knows what the future holds, he seems like a pretty good bet this season. I also like how often he lined up as a receiver last week. I think that’s telling.
Nobody is pessimistic on Pitts. There is a difference between tempering expectations and being pessimistic. I just want to make that clear in regards to the posts that I have made here. I never once said he’s a bad player or that hes incapable of producing. Before anybody tries to come at me or pound their chest the next time he actually does produce— I want to make my position clear.

Someone mentioned in the Dalton Kincaid thread that Kyle Pitts is a year younger than Kincaid. That’s amazing, and must be factored into our Pitts analysis…right?

Maybe he entered the NFL too soon? Though, he nearly broke the rookie TE record for yardage, so he seemed ready for the big league.

Love that he’s still super young and on par with the rookies age-wise, but obviously you would hope he’d be ahead of them production-wise in his 3rd NFL season. Then again, we can’t forget about his rookie season.

Can the last two seasons for Pitts simply be chalked up to injuries and bad QB’s? Honestly, I think so. The question is, when does that change? He doesn’t seem 100% right now and his QB is terrible. Hopefully Pitts will
Be 100% soon, but his QB will still be terrible.

And, of course, there’s Arthur Smith, who prides himself on using his players interchangeably regardless of talent, ability, or draft capital.

All things considered, Pitts may be the single most difficult player to evaluate for fantasy football. Could legitimately be the generational hall of fame talent we thought he was, yet be held back for the foreseeable future by injuries, bad QB play, and Arthur Smith. Or, maybe Pitts was overrated? But then how do we explain his rookie season???

I suppose the takeaway here is that Pitts owners can take solace in knowing that he’s still younger than some rookie TEs, so there’s still plenty of time for Pitts to have the career we envisioned. Have to hold for now and hope that in 2024 Atlanta has a competent QB and a new head coach. If one or neither of those things happen, it’s hard to envision 2024 being much different than 2023.

He hasnt been awful this year and has gotten/looked better than the first 2 weeks of the season so he has to be getting healthier! He has been middle of the pack and I expect that to continue until he gets a better QB/coach as you stated.

If he can't get open then he has to box out.
He can't whiff on blocks or think a lean in motion towards the DE is sufficient.
People need to stop blaming the QB and OC and let the young guy hear it so he gets a chip on his shoulder and puts the work in.

I saw at least three plays that Mack Hollins clearly did Pitts' role. After Cordarelle and Hesse in camp, I've seen Pruitt sprinkled in, and Jonnu, and now Mack.

Smith is playing him playing him, well we gotta get a play out of our TEs put someone else in, then playing him some more. There's zero issue with what Smith's doing. I know people look at a stat line and complain but ya gotta see it.

That light has to go on where he hits his blocks, makes good cuts, runs hard, and uses that big frame. He is OJ Howard until that light comes on.

I'm hoping Mack was yet another and it triggers him. Y'all ain't doing the young guy any favors flooding social media with blame for everyone else though

Seems more and more that uber athleticism is never going to earn him targets. Needs to learn the nuances of the position, which is why Jonnu is getting the ball more.

The big play Jonnu made was because they caught the Vikings in a blitz to that side. He had a convoy of blockers and the backside pursuit was late getting over and the defender looked a bit gassed trying to get the angle.

Harrison Smith came on the blitz and that is part of why Smith had so many blockers.

That always the risk when defenses blitz as much as the Vikings do.

Pitts was always accounted for because he was the biggest threat.

Smith can slip out on these TE screens because he is often expected to block.

Eta - The Falcons called several blitz beaters like this to Smith over the course of the game. The defense snuffed some of them out and stopped them before they could get started.

The Vikings were not going to take chances like this with Pitts.

The big play Jonnu made was because they caught the Vikings in a blitz to that side. He had a convoy of blockers and the backside pursuit was late getting over and the defender looked a bit gassed trying to get the angle.

Harrison Smith came on the blitz and that is part of why Smith had so many blockers.

Eta - The Falcons called several blitz beaters like this to Smith over the course of the game. The defense snuffed some of them out and stopped them before they could get started.

Good insight. If this were a one-off situation where Pitts was taken out of the game plan to the benefit of Jonnu, one could just chalk it up to scheme. Unfortunately, this is a season long phenomenon with Pitts - tremendous athlete, but not a particularly good receiver.

Good insight. If this were a one-off situation where Pitts was taken out of the game plan to the benefit of Jonnu, one could just chalk it up to scheme. Unfortunately, this is a season long phenomenon with Pitts - tremendous athlete, but not a particularly good receiver.
Yeah not saying your comments about Pitts are not valid. He may need a lot of work still on the finer points of his game.

I think its not all him as well though. Poor QB play and poor coaching are not helping him.

I see the same stuff every game.
They try to throw some little short passes to get him rolling (same w Titans and Chig) and it doesn't wake him up.
He's never open.
Sometimes the D gets comfy and changes coverage. He catches a couple. D reverts back.
QB tries to force some to him just because.

The Falcons hired an additional TE coach when Smith got there.

Parker Hesse is one of the smartest players in the NFL and widely presumed to coach after football. He was a college recruit QB then DE then a TE in the NFL. Pitts praised him a few times for helping him.
Firkser is a Harvard grad that at one point went years catching 💯 of passes when going against zone coverage. He was neither big nor fast just smart and made a short career out of being the best (one metric) zone coverage TE.

Patterson is the elder statesman everyone on the Falcons always raves about for helping them. He played TE some this summer to work w Pitts.

Jonnu was expected to be the blocking TE and an experienced guy for Pitts to learn from. One thing Falcons fans will tell ya is Jonnu didn't even do these plays or this role in camp.

Against the Titans he had Mack in Pitts spot for 2-3 plays and Pitts did not want anything of chatting with him after.

At least once, Pitts turned down an invite to Kittle's TightEndU

A year or two ago, Frank Wychek talked to the Falcons about concussions and spent the rest of the day working n talking w Pitts.

Smith is probably running out of ideas and gets a new one and tries it. I know he's hated by FF folks but it's a two TE base offense and he's done all that extra. Idk what more y'all want or expect from him with Pitts.

What a lot of the haters are also missing is no team is ever rumored to offer a trade for Pitts. If they were right, that would be common

Coaches, drills, watching film, examples, veteran help, teammates help....it's really difficult to think of something else.

Y'all bark about the QB play but Mariota had a top five TE in Delanie and Ridder had a very good college TE that's now on the Titans. They both have a pretty good history of using the TE

So bizarre how Pitts went from being a generational talent, can’t-miss TE prospect, to nearly breaking the rookie TE yardage record in his first season, to being absolutely useless by age 23.
QB matters and they are a running team. Things can change quickly in the NFL, but I get the panic.

So bizarre how Pitts went from being a generational talent, can’t-miss TE prospect, to nearly breaking the rookie TE yardage record in his first season, to being absolutely useless by age 23.
Right now he's OJ Howard.
He needs to tell his family and friends all about his struggles and them to hit him with brutal truth and tell him he needs to put the work in....or else he will be OJ Howard II

QB matters and they are a running team. Things can change quickly in the NFL, but I get the panic.
Delanie, Jonnu, Firkser, and maybe Hooper were successful in this running offense. It's him

Delanie, Jonnu, Firkser, and maybe Hooper were successful in this running offense. It's him
It doesn’t seem as if he’s a big part of the game plan. I don’t think it’s all on him.

Someone this week maybe Cosell showed him running to the defender, in zone, not the spot over n over.
I have no doubt that's been taught to him many times.

It doesn’t seem as if he’s a big part of the game plan. I don’t think it’s all on him.
Maybe he is and he's wasting too much time blocking when he's supposed to bump his man.
Maybe Arthur is sick of it and at this point needs to use him as a decoy.
Idk but yeah he's definitely used less but it's warranted.

Against the Titans they had Mack Hollins in at TE/big slot for a few plays. I thought well weird but OK switch those two but it was pointed out to me that he rounds off his routes too much to line up out wide

Seems more and more like it’s him. While the conservative offense isn’t doing him a lot of favors. those excuses seem like wishful thinking.

He’s got all the athleticism in the world, but it doesn’t matter if you can’t play the position well. While you have to give him credit, his record breaking rookie season seems like an aberration based on a ton of passing volume with few other receiving options (Ridley had stepped away, leaving Gage as the leading WR).

I put him on my fantasy dynasty bench and wait on him. Most of us did a lot of stupid things and didn't always commit to hard work when we were under 24 years old. Plus he's better than most if not all backup FF TEs.
(I don't even have backup TEs on most rosters)

I'm very comfy with it. I totally recommend it. You keep getting headaches over him and his trade value stinks so...stop that routine and start someone else

If Pitts is the problem, how do we explain his rookie season? In his first NFL season, at the age of 20, he was a pro-bowl TE. Then what? He forgot how to play TE?
At this point in his career—he has a relatively small sample size where he was putting up eye opening numbers. For the majority of his NFL career, he’s regressed greatly from that. At what point is it fair to call the short part of his career when he was putting up numbers the outlier? Even when he was a pro-bowl TE—he was doing so in a manner that is hard to sustain for fantasy purposes. He hasn’t shown a propensity to catch TD’s in one of the most TD dependent positions in fantasy football. Again—I will repeat what I said in this thread a few times. I think he’s a good player—but he’s a player that is a giant pain in the butt for fantasy owners—and those that do roster him really need to temper their expectations.

If Pitts is the problem, how do we explain his rookie season? In his first NFL season, at the age of 20, he was a pro-bowl TE. Then what? He forgot how to play TE?
I don’t think he really played TE - at least in the true sense of the position - in his rookie year. More of a glorified WR in which he was the main passing option in what had been a pass friendly offense. Fast forward the past few years, and the team drafted an alpha WR and then a stud RB, and now his role has changed to learn the finer points of the position beyond pass catching. It’s clear he isn’t very successful at it to date.

I don’t think he really played TE - at least in the true sense of the position - in his rookie year. More of a glorified WR in which he was the main passing option in what had been a pass friendly offense. Fast forward the past few years, and the team drafted an alpha WR and then a stud RB, and now his role has changed to learn the finer points of the position beyond pass catching. It’s clear he isn’t very successful at it to date.
In other words, Atlanta spent a top10 pick on Pitts to be a receiving weapon in a pass friendly offense. Pitts excelled in this role, threatening the rookie TE receiving yardage record held by hall of famer Mike Ditka. It seemed Pitts was as advertised.

Then in year two, Atlanta threw everyone a curve ball, deciding that despite immense success as a rookie, Pitts would better serve the team in a different, more traditional, less talented TE role, more along the lines of a TE drafted on day 3.

I suppose my question is, why not continue using Pitts in the role he was clearly meant to play, while using Jonnu or some other TE in the more traditional role?

In other words, Atlanta spent a top10 pick on Pitts to be a receiving weapon in a pass friendly offense. Pitts excelled in this role, threatening the rookie TE receiving yardage record held by hall of famer Mike Ditka. It seemed Pitts was as advertised.

Then in year two, Atlanta threw everyone a curve ball, deciding that despite immense success as a rookie, Pitts would better serve the team in a different, more traditional, less talented TE role, more along the lines of a TE drafted on day 3.

I suppose my question is, why not continue using Pitts in the role he was clearly meant to play, while using Jonnu or some other TE in the more traditional role?
The Falcons have over achieved as a team this year and last year with Pitts playing a reduced role. They were picked to be one of the worst teams in football last year—and they were highly competitive until the past couple weeks of the season. They are currently in first place in their division right now. Professional football teams don’t care about your fantasy teams. What we want as the fantasy community doesn’t always translate to what happens in reality football. In the “historically good” tight end season that Pitts had in 2021–the Falcons finished third place out of the four teams in the NFC South. Let’s not make it seem like the Falcons have somehow regressed since Pitts production has decreased. If anything—they’ve managed to stay more competitive and relevant.

Excellent questions - wish I knew the answer.

As a Pitts and London owner, I’m banking on a much improved offense next year but unfortunately Arthur keeps winning and is saving his job.

As a Pitts and London owner, I’m banking on a much improved offense next year but unfortunately Arthur keeps winning and is saving his job.
In 2021 when Pitts had his historic season—only 2 teams in the NFL gave up more points than the Falcons. They were playing from behind a lot, and when they weren’t playing from behind, they were forced to compete in some high scoring games. This season—coming into this week they are ranked 14 in how many points they have allowed. They went from being almost the worst team in the league in regards to points allowed to being middle of the pack. This year they are ranked 18–but teams 14-18 all basically give up 21-21.9 points per game. The way this team stays competitive is by keeping the scores low, running clock, and going out of its way to avoid shootouts. It sounds like you are in a dynasty format—and I don’t blame you for maintaining hope for guys like London and Pitts. They are clearly talented—nobody is disputing that. With that said—I do think that this whole mindset that Pitts not going off is somehow horrid for the Falcons franchise needs to be addressed. So far—the Falcons have been a better and more competitive team by playing better defense and limiting their passing game. Unless they get a stud quarterback—it’s hard to see them abandoning this strategy.

Last edited:

In 2021 when Pitts had his historic season—only 2 teams in the NFL gave up more points than the Falcons. They were playing from behind a lot, and when they weren’t playing from behind, they were forced to compete in some high scoring games. This season—coming into this week they are ranked 14 in how many points they have allowed. They went from being almost the worst team in the league in regards to points allowed to being middle of the pack. This year they are ranked 18–but teams 14-18 all basically give up 21-21.9 points per game. The way this team stays competitive is by keeping the scores low, running clock, and going out of its way to avoid shootouts. It sounds like you are in a dynasty format—and I don’t blame you for maintaining hope for guys like London and Pitts. They are clearly talented—nobody is disputing that. With that said—I do think that this whole mindset that Pitts not going off is somehow horrid for the Falcons franchise needs to be addressed. So far—the Falcons have been a better and more competitive team by playing better defense and limiting their passing game. Unless they get a stud quarterback—it’s hard to see them abandoning this strategy.
Yup, this is basically an L for the “talent over situation” crowd (as well as for us Pitts owners).

That actually has not changed. He runs almost every route from out wide or the slot. Read this exact stat several weeks ago, was running about two routes a game as an inline TE.

The QB and scheme don't do him any favors but I think the major part of his step back is nagging injuries which I think have impacted him since the beginning of last season, which is a concern-especially how long it's still taking him to recover from his MCL injury last year, but a separate one then ability for me.

Users who are viewing this thread