What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Kyle Pitts, ATL (1 Viewer)

His rookie year was still extremely mediocre and considered a massive bust from a fantasy perspective.
Not sure how 1000 yards in a TE’s rookie season - something that only Pitts and Ditka have done - can be considered mediocre or close to a bust. The 1 TD is bad, and the TDs still haven’t come, but TDs are variable. All that said, I do think the 1K yards obfuscates a bit that he had “only” 68 catches in his rookie year. A very strong total but we’re not talking Kelce/Andrews levels.

His rookie year was still extremely mediocre and considered a massive bust from a fantasy perspective.
Not sure how 1000 yards in a TE’s rookie season - something that only Pitts and Ditka have done - can be considered mediocre or close to a bust. The 1 TD is bad, and the TDs still haven’t come, but TDs are variable. All that said, I do think the 1K yards obfuscates a bit that he had “only” 68 catches in his rookie year. A very strong total but we’re not talking Kelce/Andrews levels.
It was terrible in terms of his FF production. A few spike weeks made his season much better than it actually was.

It was terrible in terms of his FF production. A few spike weeks made his season much better than it actually was.

I wouldn't call 2 weeks of spike production a few weeks. Most players have a few weeks of poor production. For the most part Pitts hovered around the 10-13 range.

2021: STATS
RECEIVINGRUSHING
WEEKPTSOPPONENTOPP AVG VS TEOPP RANK VS TESTATUSRECYDSTDTGTATTYDSTDFUM LOST
18.1vs Eagles19.132Skillet Lickers - S43180
213.6at Buccaneers14.019Skillet Lickers - S57360
36.0at Giants13.113Skillet Lickers - S23530
410.0vs FootballTeam14.121Skillet Lickers - S45090
529.2vs Jets16.226Skillet Lickers - S91191100
6ByeSkillet Lickers - NS
725.1at Dolphins14.018Skillet Lickers - S716380
83.8vs Panthers12.711Skillet Lickers - S21360
910.0at Saints10.88Skillet Lickers - S36270
1011.0at Cowboys14.120Skillet Lickers - S46070
116.7vs Patriots7.61Skillet Lickers - S32950
125.1at Jaguars13.214Skillet Lickers - S22660
139.8vs Buccaneers14.019Skillet Lickers - S44870
1412.4at Panthers12.711Skillet Lickers - S56160
1512.7at 49ers10.37Skillet Lickers - S47770
1617.7vs Lions15.524Skillet Lickers - S610260
179.4at Bills8.73Skillet Lickers - S26940
183.3vs Saints10.88Skillet Lickers - S2850
Total:193.968102611100000

If Pitts is the problem, how do we explain his rookie season? In his first NFL season, at the age of 20, he was a pro-bowl TE. Then what? He forgot how to play TE?
I don’t think he really played TE - at least in the true sense of the position - in his rookie year. More of a glorified WR in which he was the main passing option in what had been a pass friendly offense. Fast forward the past few years, and the team drafted an alpha WR and then a stud RB, and now his role has changed to learn the finer points of the position beyond pass catching. It’s clear he isn’t very successful at it to date.
In other words, Atlanta spent a top10 pick on Pitts to be a receiving weapon in a pass friendly offense. Pitts excelled in this role, threatening the rookie TE receiving yardage record held by hall of famer Mike Ditka. It seemed Pitts was as advertised.

Then in year two, Atlanta threw everyone a curve ball, deciding that despite immense success as a rookie, Pitts would better serve the team in a different, more traditional, less talented TE role, more along the lines of a TE drafted on day 3.

I suppose my question is, why not continue using Pitts in the role he was clearly meant to play, while using Jonnu or some other TE in the more traditional role?
Excellent questions - wish I knew the answer.

As a Pitts and London owner, I’m banking on a much improved offense next year but unfortunately Arthur keeps winning and is saving his job.
In 2021 when Pitts had his historic season—only 2 teams in the NFL gave up more points than the Falcons. They were playing from behind a lot, and when they weren’t playing from behind, they were forced to compete in some high scoring games. This season—coming into this week they are ranked 14 in how many points they have allowed. They went from being almost the worst team in the league in regards to points allowed to being middle of the pack. This year they are ranked 18–but teams 14-18 all basically give up 21-21.9 points per game. The way this team stays competitive is by keeping the scores low, running clock, and going out of its way to avoid shootouts. It sounds like you are in a dynasty format—and I don’t blame you for maintaining hope for guys like London and Pitts. They are clearly talented—nobody is disputing that. With that said—I do think that this whole mindset that Pitts not going off is somehow horrid for the Falcons franchise needs to be addressed. So far—the Falcons have been a better and more competitive team by playing better defense and limiting their passing game. Unless they get a stud quarterback—it’s hard to see them abandoning this strategy.
Yup, this is basically an L for the “talent over situation” crowd (as well as for us Pitts owners).
Agreed—and here’s something else to digest. Let’s look at the Falcons. If we look at their cumulative “talent” in the receiving position—Wr’s and Te’s—we’re effectively looking at London, Pitts, Johnu..etc. While there is some talent there—it’s certainly nothing near upper tier compared to the rest of the league. If we look at the cumulative talent at the RB position: Bijan, Cordarrelle, Tyler Algier—-that’s arguably one of the leagues best RB cores in regards to top to bottom talent. Even from a “talent’ perspective—the Falcons are probably more motivated to run more.

Falcons head coach Arthur Smith said Kyle Pitts is “a big part” of the team’s offense.

Pitts, who hasn’t seen more than five targets in a game since the middle of October, most recently ran a route on just 66 percent of the Falcons’ drop backs in Week 12, catching both of his targets for 22 yards. Smith said MyCole Pruitt and Parker Hesse were better fits for what the Falcons were trying to do against the Saints last Sunday (run the ball). In the run-first Atlanta offense, Pitts is not a viable fantasy option in 12-team leagues. Maybe next year.

Falcons head coach Arthur Smith said Kyle Pitts is “a big part” of the team’s offense.

Pitts, who hasn’t seen more than five targets in a game since the middle of October, most recently ran a route on just 66 percent of the Falcons’ drop backs in Week 12, catching both of his targets for 22 yards. Smith said MyCole Pruitt and Parker Hesse were better fits for what the Falcons were trying to do against the Saints last Sunday (run the ball). In the run-first Atlanta offense, Pitts is not a viable fantasy option in 12-team leagues. Maybe next year.
I suspect the same game script will be in play this week against the Jets, who are extremely tough versus the passing game but can be run on.

Regardless of the opponent, "maybe next year" sounds about right - if it ever happens again at all.

Read about Pitts here
Some of that regarding QB issues and injury residual makes sense, but I think we’re too far removed from the injury to not also point to Pitts himself for his big drop off.
He points out a decreased amount of explosion and some other things

Read about Pitts here
Some of that regarding QB issues and injury residual makes sense, but I think we’re too far removed from the injury to not also point to Pitts himself for his big drop off.
He points out a decreased amount of explosion and some other things
True - whether that’s lingering from the injury or just lack of effort is the wildcard.

Read about Pitts here
He's saying what a lot of other people who studied Pitts have been saying, that's he's not recovered from his MCL. Been trying to tell people this, that his lack of production is far deeper then the QB and scheme but people can't get off that.

Dealt with a hamstring issue beginning of last season and eventually the MCL. Has not really been healthy since his rookie season with the MCL being the major issue.

Great buy low right now, I'd argue the best buy low going.

Read about Pitts here
He's saying what a lot of other people who studied Pitts have been saying, that's he's not recovered from his MCL. Been trying to tell people this, that his lack of production is far deeper then the QB and scheme but people can't get off that.

Dealt with a hamstring issue beginning of last season and eventually the MCL. Has not really been healthy since his rookie season with the MCL being the major issue.

Well ...agree here but he has been healthy this year

Read about Pitts here

I disagree as strongly as someone possibly can disagree.

Active and playing is not the same thing as healthy.

Read about Pitts here

I disagree as strongly as someone possibly can disagree.

Active and playing is not the same thing as healthy.
Ok fair enough

The best is yet to come with this guy they just need a quarterback to help him put it all together
Ridder threw for 374 yards
Zach Wilson also eclipsed 300 this past week. It doesn't mean that Ridder doesn't suck.
Same tired argument...it's always someone else's fault
Mariota to Delanie was one of the best TE connections.

At times, Jonnu and Mycole have shown a thing or two.

Kyle Pitts needs to take responsibility or sit around watching the NFL with OJ Howard

The best is yet to come with this guy they just need a quarterback to help him put it all together
Ridder threw for 374 yards
Zach Wilson also eclipsed 300 this past week. It doesn't mean that Ridder doesn't suck.
Same tired argument...it's always someone else's fault
Mariota to Delanie was one of the best TE connections.

At times, Jonnu and Mycole have shown a thing or two.

Kyle Pitts needs to take responsibility or sit around watching the NFL with OJ Howard
I don't think I made that argument. Just pointing out lots of bad QBs throw for big yardage in a single game.

I still have hope for Pitts long term and think he could be very good, but I have him in one of my playoff leagues and he's on the bench. I can't trust him right now, regardless of the outing TD.

I still have hope for Pitts long term and think he could be very good, but I have him in one of my playoff leagues and he's on the bench. I can't trust him right now, regardless of the outing TD.
This is how it should be.
FF owners and Falcons should be in some sort of "show me" mode.

Arthur preached how he wanted to be more position-less since being hired and really emphasized that this summer. He wanted big athletes that can be moved around and he got them. I've been saying that once we get late into the season and DBs are injured, the Falcons are gonna be a tough matchup because of this. Well he's doing it and got em all rolling.
Mack Hollins at TE, Jonnu in the backfield, Bijan at some sort of backed up slot position. The D was clearly doing I got him, no you got him stuff. One play, lot of stress.
Pre-snap is absurd. Anyone is anywhere and often times they do go right where you'd expect but whatever is normally communicated by a D is not because they're clearly barking about where guys are.

That was a darn shame they lost the last game. 5-600 yards of offense and fumbles and bad luck costing them huge. If ya didn't watch- they did it while down four linemen. Every outside block and TE block and...were so extra important and it was a very interesting game.

It's happening and Pitts could be a huge cog if he'd jump on board. It's such simple sports stuff. Who likes to pick in hopes? But you roll after and get an easy bucket. Pitts needs to hit his blocks, get in the way in football picks, he's gonna get it but that play might be more for London or Bijan. Just do your role!

Pitts is exactly the kind of player I’m going to target in redraft next year. He’ll be fairly inexpensive at auction (or drift to later rounds in serpentine) and if he is mediocre again then it’s not a big bust. I‘ll just need to work waivers for a replacement. I’ve already preserved draft capital to acquire more in the way of blue chip players. If he plays well, he is a bargain. It strikes me as a good risk-reward ratio.

Sometimes young players just need some time to develop and, probably more importantly, chemistry can be elusive at times. I’m always amazed at how a team (or given players) can have a strong run of games and then all of a sudden they have a weak run of games. Why does this happen? Nothing has necessarily changed on paper. Luck, chemistry, whatever is a big factor that can’t be known. Sometimes things just aren’t happening without any clear indication why despite our speculations.

Pitts may eventually be a decent startable fantasy TE, but all things considered, it doesn’t look like he’s going to be a difference maker on the Atlanta Falcons.

It’s been two years since Pitts looked special. In the meantime, they’ve added Drake London at WR, their 2022 #1 pick, who just put ip 172 yards last week and appears to be the clear #1 receiving option. For now, London has unquestionably proven himself a more effective weapon than Pitts, and earned a much larger target share.

Then they drafted Bijan with their next #1 pick, who many believe is the #1 overall dynasty RB, largely due to his receiving prowess. Bijan’s role can only be expected to increase.

So, even if Pitts improves, it’s hard to see him being more than the teams 3rd option in the passing game. This might be enough for Pitts to be a weekly starter in fantasy with some big games from time to time, but he’s not going to see the volume necessary to get anywhere close to the ceiling we once thought he had.

Elite fantasy TEs are usually the 1st or 2nd option in their team’s passing game. It’s almost impossible to be an elite TE on 3-5 targets per game, which is why Pitts hasn’t produced much. That’s also why it’s going to be incredibly difficult for Pitts to do anything that would convince another team to acquire him to be their featured receiving threat. He simply hasn’t, and won’t have the opportunity to do anything that warrants that kind of usage.

It’s looking more and more like 2023 is simply what Kyle Pitts is going to be. A middling fantasy TE.

It’s been two years since Pitts looked special. In the meantime, they’ve added Drake London at WR, their 2022 #1 pick, who just put ip 172 yards last week and appears to be the clear #1 receiving option. For now, London has unquestionably proven himself a more effective weapon than Pitts, and earned a much larger target share.
London had a really good game but I thought rookie year Pitts was statistically better then anything London has shown so far, other then TD's. It's true Pitts has not looked special since, I'm trying to SCREAM to anyone who will listen he's not been healthy. That he's not been in two years is a concern, but that's the key and I think if he can be that he's the more special player of the two and London is not the assumed 1 to me. Might be, not something I'd assume.

Then they drafted Bijan with their next #1 pick, who many believe is the #1 overall dynasty RB, largely due to his receiving prowess. Bijan’s role can only be expected to increase.

So, even if Pitts improves, it’s hard to see him being more than the teams 3rd option in the passing game.
Sure Bijan can improve but so can Pitts, again especially when healthy. Right now Pitts is averaging exactly one target a game more then Bijan and even if you take away the headache game a less then healthy Pitts is still getting more targets.

The main premise of your post seems to be assuming Pitts is the third banana so long as he remains in Atlanta. I don't share that assumption.

I will continue to say while the QB and scheme don't do him any favors if/when he's healthy enough to regain his explosion and movement the Kyle Pitts story is going to take a 180.

London had a really good game but I thought rookie year Pitts was statistically better then anything London has shown so far, other then TD's. It's true Pitts has not looked special since, I'm trying to SCREAM to anyone who will listen he's not been healthy. That he's not been in two years is a concern, but that's the key and I think if he can be that he's the more special player of the two and London is not the assumed 1 to me. Might be, not something I'd assume.

So, even if Pitts improves, it’s hard to see him being more than the teams 3rd option in the passing game.
Sure Bijan can improve but so can Pitts, again especially when healthy. Right now Pitts is averaging exactly one target a game more then Bijan and even if you take away the headache game a less then healthy Pitts is still getting more targets.

The main premise of your post seems to be assuming Pitts is the third banana so long as he remains in Atlanta. I don't share that assumption.

I will continue to say while the QB and scheme don't do him any favors if/when he's healthy enough to regain his explosion and movement the Kyle Pitts story is going to take a 180.
It’s certainly possible Pitts turns things around, but I suppose my point is that London and Bijan are already on the right trajectory with no reason to think they’ll slow down.

So, Pitts not only has to get healthy and stay healthy, but he has to be so impressive that he overtakes London and an ascending Bijan in the pecking order. Based on what we’ve seen, that’s difficult to envision.

As far as Pitts rookie season vs London so far, Pitts had the advantage of a good QB in Matt Ryan. Had London been playing with a competent QB he’d likely have been more impressive to this point, possibly a superstar. If we judge the two while playing with the same QB, London has been more impressive imo, and their respective target shares support that opinion.

If we’re going to point to Pitts health being the cause of his struggles, I’m not sure being injury prone really helps his case.

Last edited:

It’s certainly possible Pitts turns things around, but I suppose my point is that London and Bijan are already on the right trajectory with no reason to think they’ll slow down.

So, Pitts not only has to get healthy and stay healthy, but he has to be so impressive that he overtakes London and an ascending Bijan in the pecking order. Based on what we’ve seen, that’s difficult to envision.
Almost every competent offense can support 2 good receiving weapons and a RB. Pitts doesn't have to "pass" these guys (not to mention it's kind of a false assumption to say he's behind them).

One of the points I'm trying to make is that even when he's not looked that impressive it's Bijan that still has to ascend over him in the target pecking order, not the other way around.

Pitts not only has to get healthy and stay healthy, but he has to be so impressive that he overtakes London and an ascending Bijan in the pecking order.
Targets:
Pitts: 4
London: 3
Bijan: 3

Now who has to overtake who?!

(This is a joke. I know they all sucked.)

I dropped him a few weeks ago for Likely and this weeks opponent picked him up and started him against me. I love when that happens! (rarely does)

Wasn't he still recovering from the knee issue in camp/early part of the season?

He's 23 years old. We've seen Engram and Njoku have mid-career resurgences/breakouts.

I think if he's 100% and we finally have a coach that prioritizes getting the football to their top 10 draft picks, he should be a nice value pick for TE.

They could get Mahomes, I still won't be drafting this guy next year.
Do people think he just regressed/forgot how to play football after going for over 1000 yards as a 20 year-old rookie?
Exactly.

He's 23. He was still recovering from injury coming into this season IIRC. And then you have the whole Arthur Smith doesn't want his best players to get the football thing.

Do people think he just regressed/forgot how to play football after going for over 1000 yards as a 20 year-old rookie?
I'm sure he's still got talent, I'm just quite sure that the narrative of 'Arthur Smith is gone! Rejoice, the witch is dead, the shackles are off!' is going to push him to an unjustifiably lofty round in drafts yet again. There seem to be a lot of perfectly good options at tight end in the league now, the hopium of Pitts living up to his hype seems a bad bet.

I'm sure he's still got talent, I'm just quite sure that the narrative of 'Arthur Smith is gone! Rejoice, the witch is dead, the shackles are off!' is going to push him to an unjustifiably lofty round in drafts yet again. There seem to be a lot of perfectly good options at tight end in the league now, the hopium of Pitts living up to his hype seems a bad bet.
Oh, I don’t think that’s going to happen at all. I think there’s too many folks who have been burned by him the last two years that are going to be completely out on him.

All I’m saying is I find it hard to believe the dude has regressed from putting together one of the greatest rookie seasons in the history of the position. And he did it at 20.

I think 24’ will be the first year I’m actively targeting Pitts in redraft, and I’m just plain giddy in dynasty.

He's still got Desmond Ridder as his QB as far as we know right now dude. When the Falcons get Belichik as HC and bring in Darnold to be their starter in 24 you might not feel so giddy.

He's still got Desmond Ridder as his QB as far as we know right now dude. When the Falcons get Belichik as HC and bring in Darnold to be their starter in 24 you might not feel so giddy.
They have the 8th overall pick. Hard to believe a new regime passes on a Penix or Daniels there.

And I’ll take BB all day over Smith.

Cost is a fair point.

I just don't think his cost will be too much. He was discounted this year. He had another "meh" season.
Smith's departure will drive the cost up a bit. But we're probably talking going 8th or 9th round to 6th/7th. If his price gets out of control, I'll be there with ya.

The season ended yesterday. EVERYTHING is conjecture. But I certainly think the Falcons will go get a better QB. Either they trade for Fields or draft someone who is an upgrade from Ridder.

Maybe they won't. But it makes so much sense, that I'm going to believe it happens until we're through FA and the draft with Ridder as the top QB on the roster. If that happens, I would certainly be less bullish on him.

Users who are viewing this thread