What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Philadelphia Eagles - Complete waste of a season finally comes to an end. (3 Viewers)

Question: if Elliott misses that kick, are we talking today about how amazing Hurts was in the second half?

I don’t think we are. I think there are some amazing talent surrounding Hurts which is propping him up some.

Hurts is a very good if not great QB. He could be a lot better.

49ers @ Philadelphia Eagles has Vegas setting the line up at Eagles +2.5.

Eagles as a home underdog??? Back the truck up, will be loading up on this one.

I'm sure Vegas knows like we do this is the 49ers Super Bowl. So they will be charged up for sure, but I think it has become pretty apparent since last year that the 49ers team is a bit mentally weak. Eagles are really kind of the opposite, and I think that may matter in this game.

That line is because vegas can't afford to lose their shirt with a straight up Eagles loss. It will probably come down a bit toward the end of the week, but despite what Eagles fans think, the 49ers team is rolling and dangerous.

I'm sure Vegas knows like we do this is the 49ers Super Bowl. So they will be charged up for sure, but I think it has become pretty apparent since last year that the 49ers team is a bit mentally weak. Eagles are really kind of the opposite, and I think that may matter in this game.

That line is because vegas can't afford to lose their shirt with a straight up Eagles loss. It will probably come down a bit toward the end of the week, but despite what Eagles fans think, the 49ers team is rolling and dangerous.
agree. otoh if lane johnson is still out this weekend then that line is not far from expected imo. driscoll was helped by the rain with the footing slowing the rusher. even then... his o'le style of blocking not good for jalen and niners will take full advantage of that. the o-line did great covering for it in the second half yesterday, but driscoll is such a liability there... c'mon Lane! a healthy Lane should move the line to at least pick em by game time.

M
Im trying to be honest here and ask myself which other QBs would I rather have than Hurts:

Mahomes
Healthy Rodgers
Trevor Lawrence maybe
Close, but NOT Tua
Prolly not Herbert
Not Purdy - not quite sure about him yet

So yea, maybe I am talking out both sides of my mouth, but even though there are only like 2.5 QBs I would rather have than Hurts, I still don't think he is HOF amazing yet. I just want to see him read the defense better both pre-snap and post-snap. He doesn't handle blitzing well, and teams will figure out how to stop his legs. Heck, for like 3 quarters Buf defense had his number.
It's honestly so bizarre. He looks so lost in the first half of games so often. He doesn't appear to read the field and then also holds onto the ball forever. But in the 2nd half, something just clicks and he takes command. Similar to how he was in college? Just a truly clutch QB (I didn't even think that existed TBH).

To answer your question, I'm taking Mahomes over him and that's it. The list ends there. Purdy may get there but I need to see how the rest of the year plays out.
Mahomes is the Most Valuable Player until he retires or his appendages fall off.

Hurts is no doubt, a better than Good, QB. But he isn't the MVP. Just give that trophy to Mahomes until he retires.
Mahomes is the better player... but is he having a better season than Hurts?

In what ways?

Panthers also fired QB coach Josh Mccown and RB coach Duce Staley. Rough day for former eagles.
Oof, poor Duce. Went from being interviewed as a HC candidate to fired as RB coach on a one win team. That said I doubt very much he was the problem there....
Absolutely not his fault. That Oline is atrocious. The owner overrode Reich on Young over Stroud and the GM seems to be somewhat of an idiot.

they paid for a free agent rb in the offseason. bad move

Question: if Elliott misses that kick, are we talking today about how amazing Hurts was in the second half?
Nope absolutely not. Sports is such a results-driven thing... I know that sounds obvious and everyone likes to say "all that matters is you win!" but it's one of the things I hate most about sports.

If a coach goes for it on 4th down from their own 20 and gets it, it's "wow he has huge balls!"... if they don't convert it, it's "what an idiot!". The result shouldn't necessarily always negate all the decisions and plays, etc.

Buffalo fans are also talking about how bad they played, but if they had won, it would be "wow what a game they played, they came in and upset the eagles".

If Elliott misses that kick, there would be no talk about how great Hurts was in the 2nd half, which is unfair. Should be talked about either way.

Just like Josh Allen's fantastic game yesterday should be talked about even though they lost.

Panthers also fired QB coach Josh Mccown and RB coach Duce Staley. Rough day for former eagles.
Oof, poor Duce. Went from being interviewed as a HC candidate to fired as RB coach on a one win team. That said I doubt very much he was the problem there....
Absolutely not his fault. That Oline is atrocious. The owner overrode Reich on Young over Stroud and the GM seems to be somewhat of an idiot.

Love Miles but that was a horrible signing knowing how bad the Oline is.

They lost to the Zach Wilson and the JETS. I'm sure vegas would have given the Eagles 13 points if they hadn't done that.
Uhhh... not at all. Maybe would have been a pickem.

Either way I think the line is about right. SF has had this day circled forever, are playing their best football right now, we have overachieved (I still think we're a top 3 team in the league, but maybe like an 8-3 team).

Counting on a loss here. Absolutely thrilled with 10-2 after week 13.

• Love
Reactions: JAA

agree. otoh if lane johnson is still out this weekend then that line is not far from expected imo. driscoll was helped by the rain with the footing slowing the rusher. even then... his o'le style of blocking not good for jalen and niners will take full advantage of that. the o-line did great covering for it in the second half yesterday, but driscoll is such a liability there... c'mon Lane! a healthy Lane should move the line to at least pick em by game time.
I've said it many times. The Lane effect is real. If he plays, I think we beat the Niners. If he doesn't its a coin flip.

They lost to the Zach Wilson and the JETS. I'm sure vegas would have given the Eagles 13 points if they hadn't done that.

Either way I think the line is about right. SF has had this day circled forever, are playing their best football right now, we have overachieved (I still think we're a top 3 team in the league, but maybe like an 8-3 team).

The thing I like about you is that you’re about as objective a fan as they come. I completely agree with you.

I don’t think we are. I think there are some amazing talent surrounding Hurts which is propping him up some.

good question. I think if he misses we are crushing the Eagles for that 1st half, then a pendulum swing comes in by Monday drive home where people remember they are 9-2

that was not smart by him. Some dude talking smack from the crowd probably just cost him some cash and headache
Never should touch a fan but I’ve seen a ton of fans get out of pocket and think they can do whatever. I’ve been to games where fans are heckling at events but there’s a few who after getting their beer muscles for 4-5 hrs go over the line and I can’t type what is said here without getting a timeout.

Like there’s good heckling like we did to Andre Either Dodgers OF at 09 Playoff game Vs the Phillies. We just kept chanting his wife’s name. Late in the game during a warm up between innings he went to over to the main guy gave a kid the ball and told the guy good job.

Then I’ve been at games where fans try giving death threats to guys family including kids. That’s not good heckling that’s just being a **** person who should be going to jail
Scum fans
SF giving 2.5 points to a team that basically never loses, at the Linc is beyond disrespectful. I've had this game circled since the schedule came out. I cannot wait to smash these ****ing whiners.
Niners lost 3 in a row to Cle, Min and Cincy. Doesn't really matter what happened back then. It's how the teams are playing now. SF is playing great but Eagles are right there.

The thing I like about you is that you’re about as objective a fan as they come. I completely agree with you.
Thanks, I try to be. I always find the truth is somewhere in the middle (in all things in life, not just sports... but especially sports), but people love to take an extreme point of view on things. SF isn't going to pound us like Wingnut thinks, and we aren't going to pound them like Need2know thinks. I'd be very surprised if the game is a double digit win.

Just don't feel great about this one, but that's okay. We're 10-1 and I'm really enjoying the season. If you asked all of us if we'd be happy being 10-2 (even when we were 5-0 before the Jets loss) I think we'd all be thrilled given our tough schedule.

that was not smart by him. Some dude talking smack from the crowd probably just cost him some cash and headache
Never should touch a fan but I’ve seen a ton of fans get out of pocket and think they can do whatever. I’ve been to games where fans are heckling at events but there’s a few who after getting their beer muscles for 4-5 hrs go over the line and I can’t type what is said here without getting a timeout.

Like there’s good heckling like we did to Andre Either Dodgers OF at 09 Playoff game Vs the Phillies. We just kept chanting his wife’s name. Late in the game during a warm up between innings he went to over to the main guy gave a kid the ball and told the guy good job.

Then I’ve been at games where fans try giving death threats to guys family including kids. That’s not good heckling that’s just being a **** person who should be going to jail
Scum fans
SF giving 2.5 points to a team that basically never loses, at the Linc is beyond disrespectful. I've had this game circled since the schedule came out. I cannot wait to smash these ****ing whiners.
Niners lost 3 in a row to Cle, Min and Cincy. Doesn't really matter what happened back then. It's how the teams are playing now. SF is playing great but Eagles are right there.
Weren’t all 3 losses when Deebo was out? Take away Brown and what happens? These 2 teams are neck and neck. Same with the Cowboys IMO

Duce Staley and Josh McCown were also fire

Former Eagles OC Frank Reich has been fired by the Carolina Panthers

The #Panthers also fired assistant head coach/RB coach Duce Staley & QB coach Josh McCown.

#FrankReich has now been fired from 2 head coaching jobs within the last year

▪️November 2023: #Panthers
▪️November 2022: #Colts

Panthers now have fired head coaches in back-to-back seasons in mid-season.

Matt Rhule last year and now Frank Reich this year

Scum fans
Weren’t all 3 losses when Deebo was out? Take away Brown and what happens? These 2 teams are neck and neck. Same with the Cowboys IMO
ehh I know I am biased here, but there is no way you can compare Deebo and AJB. I like Deebo a lot too, but AJB is a top 3-5 WR in the league right now, Deebo is maybe the 3rd option on his own team?

the guy that scares me is no doubt McCaffrrey. If the Eagles pull that crap where they come out lame in the 1st half it could be over because McCaffrey will be able to keep the ball moving for the 2nd half. If the Eagles can get ahead in the 1st half they are in much better shape. Bit Cpt. Obvious there I know, but I think with this game the Eagles can't rely a ton on the 2nd half heroics because the DL could be under-manned again and have to be exhausted from last night.

Absolutely not. We are probably talking about starting off slow, trying to find lane help when can’t go among other things. Also last 2 weeks AJ Brown has been pretty much MIA besides the TD grabs

Niners lost 3 in a row to Cle, Min and Cincy
Without Trent Williams and Deebo. Take away Lane Johnson and D Smith and see how yall fare.

When Trent Williams plays, Purdy is undefeated. He won without Deebo last year at Seattle, so that argument can go away.

SF is a lot better than Buffalo, so I guess we will see what happens Sunday.
i'll give you a Deebo = D. Smith comparison. Eagles have been down Goeddert a bit which is certainly something.

But the game should be fun either way. I think we are all hoping for objective whistles so the fanbases can't be talking about refs half the time. Will be fun the game plans these 2 teams come out with

• Thanks

NFL players are paid millions of dollars to know better
Sure are but fans also shouldn’t be dropping n bombs threatening death on players and their players either

Sure are but fans also shouldn’t be dropping n bombs threatening death on players and their players either
this isn't Boston. I don't think I have heard many N bombs dropped at all, and if they were it was usually by some wasted dude that ended up in a fight 30-60 minutes later anyway. Could be wrong since I am not down there as much as I used to be, I just think most of the smack talk is simply smack talk. The thing with Shaq Lawson I believe was with some lady who was yelling at them, and no one knows what was said, but either way if that is going to bother Lawson that much maybe he should focus on his 0 snaps played that game and not the fans

Vegas has lost their mind with that line. Gonna win by 2 scores

I think this is the game we finally see everything turn around, either in a good way or bad way: We fire on all cylinders and score a convincing win, or the sloppy play finally catches up to us and we get run off our own field. No in between.
Or both. First half run off our field. Second half fire on all cylinders. Win 34-31

Scum fans
It was a JOKE.

Miles had like a 5 yards per carry before contact with the eagles or something like that. He was a product of the oline. Carolina was dumb for making that move with the personel they have currently

Geez, I thought putting it at 13 would make it clear that it was a joke. haha

Unless its black fans, I very much doubt there are fans in Philly using the N word. The crowd would not be supportive of them if they did.

Unless its black fans, I very much doubt there are fans in Philly using the N word. The crowd would not be supportive of them if they did.
Not be supportive is putting it mildly lol. Racist fans in Philly would seriously need to fear for their lives.

Scum fans
ehh I know I am biased here, but there is no way you can compare Deebo and AJB. I like Deebo a lot too, but AJB is a top 3-5 WR in the league right now, Deebo is maybe the 3rd option on his own team?

the guy that scares me is no doubt McCaffrrey. If the Eagles pull that crap where they come out lame in the 1st half it could be over because McCaffrey will be able to keep the ball moving for the 2nd half. If the Eagles can get ahead in the 1st half they are in much better shape. Bit Cpt. Obvious there I know, but I think with this game the Eagles can't rely a ton on the 2nd half heroics because the DL could be under-manned again and have to be exhausted from last night.
Not really scared of CMC dude is always a popped hammy from going down. Dude is made if glass

Scum fans

AJB is a better receiver, yes. But Deebo does a lot more than play WR for the 49ers. They use him in the slot and in the backfield quite a bit. He his MUCH more important than DeVonta Smith.

Scum fans

Not really scared of CMC dude is always a popped hammy from going down. Dude is made if glass
*That's bait* Not falling for that ignorance. haha

Scum fans

That means very little come this Sunday.

So many afternoon games this year, it's wild.

Just looked back at our schedule.... Washington is the ONLY team we played/will play at 1pm Eastern all year?????? Wow.

this isn't Boston. I don't think I have heard many N bombs dropped at all, and if they were it was usually by some wasted dude that ended up in a fight 30-60 minutes later anyway. Could be wrong since I am not down there as much as I used to be, I just think most of the smack talk is simply smack talk. The thing with Shaq Lawson I believe was with some lady who was yelling at them, and no one knows what was said, but either way if that is going to bother Lawson that much maybe he should focus on his 0 snaps played that game and not the fans

It’s not as bad as it use to be but the Covid commanders game I was at I got free tickets from work upper level had a group of 5’y guys dropping n-bombs.

Phillies fake with gf we had seats up top but did standing room lower level after a group (maybe 2 families) were cursing up a storm talking politics etc. the one dude was screaming in my girlfriends ear for some reason. If the usher wasn’t there I would’ve popped him good. We just decided to move down instead of getting others involved

It’s still bad but no where near what it use to be. But fans do get out of line.

You’d be surprised

Not be supportive is putting it mildly lol. Racist fans in Philly would seriously need to fear for their lives.
I'm old as dirt, but we were out a few years ago and a little buzzed. We were walking by a bar and this black dude was pummeling this white kid underneath him. there was a crowd, but me being the idiot that I am I walked over and asked the dude to get off him because he was destroying him. Luckily, the black dude looked at me and was just like "alright" and he got off. The of course this idiot with blood coming off his ear and a black eye already coming said something like "F You N-Word". I literally just shook my head and took my hands off that back dude and basically just said "Have at him. And hit him in the mouth a few time so he loses some teeth and can't talk for a while".

That is one thing I will say for Philly There is plenty bad too, but with no doubt the majority of citizens have no problem throwing down if it is deserved. Happens in the "Gayborhood" 1-2 times almost every year when some people not from the city and go out near that area and for some insane reason have to talk smack on gay people. I know a friend who was involved in one, and it gets to the paper some times with people minding their own business, then have some ***-hats have to run their mouths for no reason. Actually, last time I went to an Eagles game I was on the subway back and 2 dudes were talking smack to these 2 gay guys sitting up from them. I had headphones on and didn't want to deal, but stood up off my seat and just stood right in front of the 2 ***-hats to shut them up. Seems to be a common thread in the city from all of my experience here

and caveat here, I am pretty sure these days I would lose all of these fights. But I never mind throwing some fists around to make sure I don't get too old. Won't be the first time I get beat pretty good, but as long as I can land a few all good on my end. :topcat:.

It’s not as bad as it use to be but the Covid commanders game I was at I got free tickets from work upper level had a group of 5’y guys dropping n-bombs.

Phillies fake with gf we had seats up top but did standing room lower level after a group (maybe 2 families) were cursing up a storm talking politics etc. the one dude was screaming in my girlfriends ear for some reason. If the usher wasn’t there I would’ve popped him good. We just decided to move down instead of getting others involved

It’s still bad but no where near what it use to be. But fans do get out of line.
ahh, well sorry to hear. I can at least tell you with 100% certainty that if I, or most of us in here, were at the game near you I would have had no issue talking to the fools (as long as my daughter was hanging somewhere else) :hifive: . No doubt that there a re still fools in the city, I just think they are mostly outnumbered now. Still doesn't mean they have gone away, but you can probably know that they got theirs at some point. Can't walk around running your mouth too much without it coming back to haunt you.

I think that is why there are a lot less road rage incidents here than the rest of the country. if you want to Wile out and start yelling and screaming, you better be ready for the other guy to get out of his car and let you know they don't appreciate it (or a gun comes out).

So you're not scared on the NFLs leading rusher who's second in scrimmage yards (15yds behind Tyreek) who hasn't missed a game since 2021 and plays for the leagues #1 offense. Got it.
I can't fathom agreeing much with SF fans this week, but have to agree with Wingnut here.

In case we forget, this will remind. and this was with the Eagles knowing there was 85% chance that the ball was getting to McCaffrey:

My guess is there is concern among betters about the Eagles injuries and running low on gas after a super hyped MNF game in KC followed by an intense OT win.
*starts writing down potential excuses if the Eagles lose, so I can figure out how best to retort* lol

I'm old as dirt, but we were out a few years ago and a little buzzed. We were walking by a bar and this black dude was pummeling this white kid underneath him. there was a crowd, but me being the idiot that I am I walked over and asked the dude to get off him because he was destroying him. Luckily, the black dude looked at me and was just like "alright" and he got off. The of course this idiot with blood coming off his ear and a black eye already coming said something like "F You N-Word". I literally just shook my head and took my hands off that back dude and basically just said "Have at him. And hit him in the mouth a few time so he loses some teeth and can't talk for a while".

That is one thing I will say for Philly There is plenty bad too, but with no doubt the majority of citizens have no problem throwing down if it is deserved. Happens in the "Gayborhood" 1-2 times almost every year when some people not from the city and go out near that area and for some insane reason have to talk smack on gay people. I know a friend who was involved in one, and it gets to the paper some times with people minding their own business, then have some ***-hats have to run their mouths for no reason. Actually, last time I went to an Eagles game I was on the subway back and 2 dudes were talking smack to these 2 gay guys sitting up from them. I had headphones on and didn't want to deal, but stood up off my seat and just stood right in front of the 2 ***-hats to shut them up. Seems to be a common thread in the city from all of my experience here

and caveat here, I am pretty sure these days I would lose all of these fights. But I never mind throwing some fists around to make sure I don't get too old. Won't be the first time I get beat pretty good, but as long as I can land a few all good on my end. :topcat:.
Yeah not saying they wouldn’t be beat but still happens and the slurs wasn’t my only thing said. I said people tend to make threats to players of their family even their kids and it just gets out of line and hand.

I had a young coworker who went to Tenple and was at a campus party. Dude was your typical suburban white kid who thought he was from the hood etc. he dropped the n bomb a few times. First few times from the story others at work who were there or knew people there the black guys were cool about and were like “yo dude can’t be saying that.” “Ok chill we don’t need to see an issue here.”

Dude didn’t know when to stop. Woke up at a local park in only his boxers cell phone cash taken from wallet but I’d and CC still in there and missing shoes. Face and body all bruised up. They were cool at first and gave him time to backtrack and like he does at worked kept going.

He then tried starting something with a coworker of mine and I just told him to knock it off because I had no problem finishing what those boys in the city started. Agree that stopped Running his mouth

ahh, well sorry to hear. I can at least tell you with 100% certainty that if I, or most of us in here, were at the game near you I would have had no issue talking to the fools (as long as my daughter was hanging somewhere else) :hifive: . No doubt that there a re still fools in the city, I just think they are mostly outnumbered now. Still doesn't mean they have gone away, but you can probably know that they got theirs at some point. Can't walk around running your mouth too much without it coming back to haunt you.

I think that is why there are a lot less road rage incidents here than the rest of the country. if you want to Wile out and start yelling and screaming, you better be ready for the other guy to get out of his car and let you know they don't appreciate it (or a gun comes out).
The eagles staff is cool with handling issues but I feel the Phillies staff more or less is afraid of confrontation and just keep saying ok that’s enough etc. I was at a game 2 yrs ago where there were 2 different fights in the stands because ushers didn’t settle things earlier from it.

My guess is there is concern among betters about the Eagles injuries and running low on gas after a super hyped MNF game in KC followed by an intense OT win.
Valid concerns. The Eagles D played 91 snaps against Buffalo. The average number of plays for an NFL defense is around 50-60. 91 is pretty much a game and a half worth of snaps.

By contrast, Buffalo's D played 63 snaps.

I don't care who you are, 91 is a TON of snaps and it's gonna take a while for those bruises and aches to settle down.

Add in the injuries, even if they're not long term, which could linger, and the fact that PHI hasnt seen a team as complete as SF yet (same could be said for SF facing PHI), and the 49ers being on a long rest week...one can see why the 49ers opened as favorites.

I expect the line to move closer to even once we know for sure Lane is playing.

So you're not scared on the NFLs leading rusher who's second in scrimmage yards (15yds behind Tyreek) who hasn't missed a game since 2021 and plays for the leagues #1 offense. Got it.
Wait weren’t you that stats guy from yesterday in the first quarter? Can you post Hurts’ final stat line for us, you seemed to disappear, it was so weird?

Wait weren’t you that stats guy from yesterday in the first quarter? Can you post Hurts’ final stat line for us, you seemed to disappear, it was so weird?
As covered in the 49ers thread, I made 2 posts of Hurts' stats before leaving for work at Halftime. It's well documented here that I work overnights all over Florida and what time I leave depends on where I'm working. Last night was Naples, which is a 2 hour drive, so I had to leave mid game. Sometimes I work closer to home (Orlando, Tampa, etc) and can leave between 9 and 11pm. I get home every morning between 5 and 6am. When the 49ers play at night, I schedule work close to home or take the night off.

I haven't looked at the final stats. What Hurts did against Buffalo has zero impact on what he might do against SF. I'm sure you have a source for his stats if you wanna look at them.

As covered in the 49ers thread, I made 2 posts of Hurts' stats before leaving for work at Halftime. It's well documented here that I work overnights all over Florida and what time I leave depends on where I'm working. Last night was Naples, which is a 2 hour drive, so I had to leave mid game. Sometimes I work closer to home (Orlando, Tampa, etc) and can leave between 9 and 11pm. I get home every morning between 5 and 6am. When the 49ers play at night, I schedule work close to home or take the night off.

I haven't looked at the final stats. What Hurts did against Buffalo has zero impact on what he might do against SF. I'm sure you have a source for his stats if you wanna look at them.
Is crow better grilled or fried?

Is crow better grilled or fried?
You can let me know Sunday after the game

See yall in the game thread Sunday. Not gonna talk about the game any more cuz I don't need to. I know how it ends.

yeah I don't have a big problem with the line. This Eagles team is overdue for a stumble and SF having a couple extra days to prepare is worth 3 points to them. Equal rest/preparation the line is probably Philly -2 or 3.

Honestly think it more likely then not the Eagles lose both of the next two games before running the table on the rest of the schedule

I made 2 posts of Hurts' stats before leaving for work at Halftime. It's well documented here that I work overnights all over Florida and what time I leave depends on where I'm working. Last night was Naples, which is a 2 hour drive, so I had to leave mid game. Sometimes I work closer to home (Orlando, Tampa, etc) and can leave between 9 and 11pm. I get home every morning between 5 and 6am
OMG they have their own Djax!
The guy that trashes his own QB all the time? Not seeing the similarities.

Scum fans
I suspect Trent Williams is as valuable to them as Lane Johnson is to us.

Users who are viewing this thread