What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (4 Viewers)

Here is a list of Ohio's winter bottle lottery if anyone is interested.
  • George T. Stagg (750 ML) - $124.99
  • Thomas H. Handy (750 ML) - $124.99
  • William Larue Weller (750 ML) - $124.99
  • Eagle Rare 17 Year-old (750 ML) - $124.99
  • Sazerac Rye 18 Year-old (750 ML) - $124.99
  • Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year (750 ML) - $99.99
  • Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year (750 ML) - $110
  • Pappy Van Winkles Family Reserve 15 Year (750 ML) - $170
  • Pappy Van Winkles Family Reserve 20 Year (750 ML) - $279.99
  • Pappy Van Winkles Family Reserve 23 Year (750 ML) - $399.99
  • Double Eagle Very Rare (750 ML) - $2000
  • Daniel Weller (750 ML) - $499.99
My entry was submitted very early. Do I get any bonus consideration? (Yeah, I know the answer.) I would be happy with most of these (not paying for the ones at $170 and up, but I am really hoping for the WLW.

What’s this now?
Ohio does a lottery for residents for special bottles. You win the ability to purchase 1 bottle. You can choose which bottles you want to try and win, but you can only win 1.

That's how I got the Stagg -- entered for like 20 different bottles. Do it every year for like last 10 years, and this was my first win. Pennsylvania here.

Are you offering to enter and sell at MSRP to one of us if you win?
I'd sell, but there would be a "small" markup.

Anybody been to the Jack Daniel's distillery for a tour/tasting? Looking at a short trip to Chattanooga between Christmas and New Years just to get away and see the mountains a bit, and it looks like less than 2 hrs drive to the distillery. Mainly curious to see whats available during the tastings and if they have any good bottles available in their gift shop - is JDSBBP the best I'd be able to snag? Wouldn't mind picking up a JD 10 or 12 yr if they sell at/near MSRP
I've been there 3 times, but its probably been 20 years since I was there. The irony is that Lynchburg was in a dry county. I have no idea if it still is. Anyway, last time I was there, most of their current products didn't exist.

As a side note, I am a Tennessee Squire. Anybody else here in the club? I have a deed to a 1" x 1" plot of land on the Jack Daniel's Distillery property. They last time I visited, the actually game me a small 375 mL bottle of Old No. 7 when I showed them my Squire card. They send me 1 or 2 mailings a year to tell me goofy news about the property or to ask permission to hunt on the land...silly stuff designed to make you feel part of the Jack family. The deed is hanging on the wall in my home office.

Anybody been to the Jack Daniel's distillery for a tour/tasting? Looking at a short trip to Chattanooga between Christmas and New Years just to get away and see the mountains a bit, and it looks like less than 2 hrs drive to the distillery. Mainly curious to see whats available during the tastings and if they have any good bottles available in their gift shop - is JDSBBP the best I'd be able to snag? Wouldn't mind picking up a JD 10 or 12 yr if they sell at/near MSRP
I've been there 3 times, but its probably been 20 years since I was there. The irony is that Lynchburg was in a dry county. I have no idea if it still is. Anyway, last time I was there, most of their current products didn't exist.

As a side note, I am a Tennessee Squire. Anybody else here in the club? I have a deed to a 1" x 1" plot of land on the Jack Daniel's Distillery property. They last time I visited, the actually game me a small 375 mL bottle of Old No. 7 when I showed them my Squire card. They send me 1 or 2 mailings a year to tell me goofy news about the property or to ask permission to hunt on the land...silly stuff designed to make you feel part of the Jack family. The deed is hanging on the wall in my home office.

Tell me more about the Squire. That looks awesome from what I see online.

My entry was submitted very early. Do I get any bonus consideration? (Yeah, I know the answer.) I would be happy with most of these (not paying for the ones at $170 and up, but I am really hoping for the WLW.
I put in for everything except the Double Eagle Very Rare and the Daniel Weller. My wife would kill me if I bought a $2000 bottle of liquor. She would understand the Pappy buys though.

Unfortunately, I do not have a whole lot to tell you. To be honest, I don't even know for certain how I got in. As I understand it, someone needs to be "nominated" by a Squire to gain membership. After my second tour of the distillery, I received a bunch of materials in the mail welcoming me into the Squires. Either something about my visit triggered a membership offer, or perhaps my girlfriend at the time had something to do with it. I was dating a girl from Nashville around the time, but we broke up before I ever got anything from the Squires. I never asked or confirmed if she had anything to do with it. But I got a deed for my plot of land dated June 9, 1995. Early on they would send quite a few promotional mailings and the funny little news stories about the Lynchburg locals or various happenings around The Hollows . The frequency of those mailing tapered off over the years. I still get one every now and then but they are few and far between. I have never done anything with, or in the name of, the Squires. It always just struck me as a "down home", feel good marketing strategy. In 1999, I happened to be passing through the area on my way to Atlanta and decided to stop for a 3rd visit. When I told the tour lady I was a Squire and showed her my card, she gifted me the small bottle I mentioned above. So, other than a few good chuckles and smiles over the years, that is about the only true perk I have ever received from being a Squire. There very well could be more to the Squires that has evolved over the years that I am not aware of. I haven't been back to the distillery since that 1999 visit, and I really don't drink much Jack any more. I wasn't even aware the Squires had an online presence. I just tried to register for their site to look around, but it returns a message saying they can not find a squire with my email. I don't even remember if I had an email back in '95, and I definitely didn't have any of my current emails. It makes sense they would have no email record of me as I never registered for anything online. If I am motivated enough, maybe I'll contact them with the plot# for my deeded land and see if I can gain access to the website.

Last edited:
Went to a new town in my state today so I googled and hit every liquor store that came up. Just looking for anything cool, anything allocated for decent price, any store picks I haven't tried before, and hunting for one ghost that I still can't find (Michter's Toasted). In all I went to 8 different stores, came away with a Knob Creek Single Barrel store pick for $60, and an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C923 (they're still out there...) for $70. 5 out of 8 stores had ECBP but they were either A or B batches, but the very last store had two C923's. Saw a lot of Booker's (~$110) and Baker's ($70-90) today, and three stores that had EC18 for $250 which is insane to me for a 90 proof whiskey.

Edit: didn't see a single Midwinter Night's Dram which I'm also hunting for a Christmas gift.

Went to a new town in my state today so I googled and hit every liquor store that came up. Just looking for anything cool, anything allocated for decent price, any store picks I haven't tried before, and hunting for one ghost that I still can't find (Michter's Toasted). In all I went to 8 different stores, came away with a Knob Creek Single Barrel store pick for $60, and an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C923 (they're still out there...) for $70. 5 out of 8 stores had ECBP but they were either A or B batches, but the very last store had two C923's. Saw a lot of Booker's (~$110) and Baker's ($70-90) today, and three stores that had EC18 for $250 which is insane to me for a 90 proof whiskey.

Edit: didn't see a single Midwinter Night's Dram which I'm also hunting for a Christmas gift.
ECBP for $70 is pretty good. The MI state minimum on that is $79.99 and that is before the store marks it up. Unless you enjoy extremely oaky (woody) bourbon, avoid the EC18. I've never tried a KC store pick. I'm curious to how you enjoy that choice. The latest batch of Bookers (Apprentice batch I think) has not received solid reviews. Bookers in general is overpriced. Me personally, I will enjoy the other Jim Bean product, Knob Creek just as much for much less cost. Was that Bakers price a 7 year or a 13 year? If it's the 7 that is slightly overpriced as well. A good bourbon, but should be about $20 less. And then there are a number of good bourbons in the $50 to $60 range that I'd choose over Bakers. My opinions of course.

Good luck on the Michters Quest!!!

Anyone had McFarlane's Reserve? Specifically the Cask Strength? I was gifted a bottle of this for Christmas and I've never heard of it before.

ECBP for $70 is pretty good. The MI state minimum on that is $79.99 and that is before the store marks it up. Unless you enjoy extremely oaky (woody) bourbon, avoid the EC18. I've never tried a KC store pick. I'm curious to how you enjoy that choice. The latest batch of Bookers (Apprentice batch I think) has not received solid reviews. Bookers in general is overpriced. Me personally, I will enjoy the other Jim Bean product, Knob Creek just as much for much less cost. Was that Bakers price a 7 year or a 13 year? If it's the 7 that is slightly overpriced as well. A good bourbon, but should be about $20 less. And then there are a number of good bourbons in the $50 to $60 range that I'd choose over Bakers. My opinions of course.

I've seen the EC18 for $150 at another store, which still feels high to me for only a 90 proofer.

The Baker's were all 7 year, ranging from 7yr4mo to 8yr11mo. I've never seen a Baker's 13 year, will keep my eyes peeled for that. The only Baker's 7 I've ever tried I bought about a month ago for $60 and it's very good IMO, but now that I've done it I'd have a hard time paying more than that for another one.

Going to dive into that KC store pick this weekend. It's from 2021, kind of a leftover bottle from one of those "biggest liquor store in a small town" type places that only does 1 or 2 barrel picks per year. But I'd never seen a KC store pick so decided to give it a go. Really trying to find another KC12 somewhere as well, I feel like it's one of the hidden gems of the bourbon world, it's fantastic and very affordable at around ~$70.

I've seen the EC18 for $150 at another store, which still feels high to me for only a 90 proofer.

The Baker's were all 7 year, ranging from 7yr4mo to 8yr11mo. I've never seen a Baker's 13 year, will keep my eyes peeled for that. The only Baker's 7 I've ever tried I bought about a month ago for $60 and it's very good IMO, but now that I've done it I'd have a hard time paying more than that for another one.

Going to dive into that KC store pick this weekend. It's from 2021, kind of a leftover bottle from one of those "biggest liquor store in a small town" type places that only does 1 or 2 barrel picks per year. But I'd never seen a KC store pick so decided to give it a go. Really trying to find another KC12 somewhere as well, I feel like it's one of the hidden gems of the bourbon world, it's fantastic and very affordable at around ~$70.
I really like KC12. I've seen one in my lifetime in Louisville, KY...and I bought it. Really good stuff!!

Anyone have any experience buying or selling some of the more super rare/expensive bottles of bourbon?

One of my friends was left a really rare bottle of bourbon from his dad when he inherited his liquor collection. Martin Mills 24 year. He honestly almost poured it out as he isn't much of a drinker, but decided to google all the bottles before doing so, lol good thing. Anyway he was talking about maybe trying to sell it, but had no idea where to even begin.

Anyone have any experience buying or selling some of the more super rare/expensive bottles of bourbon?

One of my friends was left a really rare bottle of bourbon from his dad when he inherited his liquor collection. Martin Mills 24 year. He honestly almost poured it out as he isn't much of a drinker, but decided to google all the bottles before doing so, lol good thing. Anyway he was talking about maybe trying to sell it, but had no idea where to even begin.

Depending on if there are other 4 figure bottles, Sotheby’s is a fine platform. Can reach out through their website.

Jules Winfield sent me this earlier today while I was finishing off the last of the Midwinter Night's Dram he brought me a while back:

Bourbon Goodness

Looks like a good night of sipping for him and the rest of the party.

Any time I see a picture like that I just assume somebody snagged it to f with their buddies. Not saying Jules did that but it’s just my first reaction to others.

Jules Winfield sent me this earlier today while I was finishing off the last of the Midwinter Night's Dram he brought me a while back:

Bourbon Goodness

And MWND is still maybe my favorite pour. Finished ryes just hit my palate right and that one in particular. Always my special Xmas pour.

Stopped in to Total Wine this week to grab some Christmas beer and stopped by the whiskey aisle. They had one bottle of Redbreast 12 CS - don’t see that much any more as I think it’s NAS now (but could be wrong). I grabbed it and gave my buddy first shot at it but he passed so now I have a backup to one of my favorite bottles.

Bourbon Goodness

Any time I see a picture like that I just assume somebody snagged it to f with their buddies. Not saying Jules did that but it’s just my first reaction to others.
I can see that, but Jules is lucky. His boss is a huge bourbon guy and has access to anything liquor-wise for his business. He has bourbon parties for his big ticket clients and these were part of it.

I saw some Stagg this morning at a drop. I was too far back in line to get one, but I actually know they exist now.
I missed out 2 weeks ago on Stagg. I was about 20th in line. But I was able to grab a regular Buffalo Trace for $26 so I saved some money...and I needed the BT also. Even that is very rare around these parts.

Hey Bourbon guys, looking for some help. A buddy of mine did me a big favor this year and him and his wife are bourbon fans. I'd like to get them a holiday gift of a nice bottle or bottles that's more of a splurge that they probably wouldn't get for themselves.

Bottles that I made a note of that I think he mentioned liking in the past were Elmer T Lee & Heaven Hill... I think maybe also Weller 12 and Kentucky Owl? Doesn't have to be those, just giving as an example of his / their taste.

What would you recommend as a nice gift in the $500-$1000 range?

Just to add a degree of difficulty, I'm in PA and we still have some dumb alcohol laws. I'll probably have to go out of state (NJ, DE, NY, MD, etc) or order online.

TIA!
Thanks for the replies and advice. I was running out of time so after looking around on my trips outside of PA, I finally just pulled the trigger on a few bottles I think he would like to add to his collection based on what I remember him saying and some texts with his wife. Obviously above MSRP but these were at least closer to "fair price" than "shelf price" on BoozApp out of what I found out there.

His bourbon Christmas / thank you pack will include:
- Elmer T Lee - Single Barrel
- Midwinter Night's Dram - A11, S1
- Weller - Full Proof (Blue)

(And I ran across the last bottle of a Buffalo Trace drop here in PA that I picked up for under $30 that will go into my cabinet as I start experimenting with bourbon myself)

His bourbon Christmas / thank you pack will include:
- Elmer T Lee - Single Barrel
- Midwinter Night's Dram - A11, S1
- Weller - Full Proof (Blue)

That’s a nice selection that he should appreciate- hopefully you were able to keep it (well) under $500 but even if not you did good on the bottle selection.

Unfortunately, I do not have a whole lot to tell you. To be honest, I don't even know for certain how I got in. As I understand it, someone needs to be "nominated" by a Squire to gain membership. After my second tour of the distillery, I received a bunch of materials in the mail welcoming me into the Squires. Either something about my visit triggered a membership offer, or perhaps my girlfriend at the time had something to do with it. I was dating a girl from Nashville around the time, but we broke up before I ever got anything from the Squires. I never asked or confirmed if she had anything to do with it. But I got a deed for my plot of land dated June 9, 1995. Early on they would send quite a few promotional mailings and the funny little news stories about the Lynchburg locals or various happenings around The Hollows . The frequency of those mailing tapered off over the years. I still get one every now and then but they are few and far between. I have never done anything with, or in the name of, the Squires. It always just struck me as a "down home", feel good marketing strategy. In 1999, I happened to be passing through the area on my way to Atlanta and decided to stop for a 3rd visit. When I told the tour lady I was a Squire and showed her my card, she gifted me the small bottle I mentioned above. So, other than a few good chuckles and smiles over the years, that is about the only true perk I have ever received from being a Squire. There very well could be more to the Squires that has evolved over the years that I am not aware of. I haven't been back to the distillery since that 1999 visit, and I really don't drink much Jack any more. I wasn't even aware the Squires had an online presence. I just tried to register for their site to look around, but it returns a message saying they can not find a squire with my email. I don't even remember if I had an email back in '95, and I definitely didn't have any of my current emails. It makes sense they would have no email record of me as I never registered for anything online. If I am motivated enough, maybe I'll contact them with the plot# for my deeded land and see if I can gain access to the website.

Thank you. That's super interesting. The stuff online makes it seem much more difficult to get in. That you can only be nominated by another member. And each member only gets one nomination ever.

I'll see what I can find out. Anyone else know any more?

Stopped in to Total Wine this week to grab some Christmas beer and stopped by the whiskey aisle. They had one bottle of Redbreast 12 CS - don’t see that much any more as I think it’s NAS now (but could be wrong). I grabbed it and gave my buddy first shot at it but he passed so now I have a backup to one of my favorite bottles.

So, I stopped in another Total Wine to see if they had more of the RB 12 CS. They did but it seemed to be mislabeled as the Small Batch CS (NAS). And it was $140! So I went on the website and sure enough, the 12 yr CS is $97 and Small Batch CS is $139. Makes zero sense to me and now I’m wondering if I should go ask the other store if they would honor the $97 price and get another bottle.

So, I stopped in another Total Wine to see if they had more of the RB 12 CS. They did but it seemed to be mislabeled as the Small Batch CS (NAS). And it was $140! So I went on the website and sure enough, the 12 yr CS is $97 and Small Batch CS is $139. Makes zero sense to me and now I’m wondering if I should go ask the other store if they would honor the $97 price and get another bottle.
Have you ever had the Small Batch CS version? I'm not sure I have seen that before. That pricing is pretty close to Redbreast 15 Year pricing (which also tastes very good).

Have you ever had the Small Batch CS version? I'm not sure I have seen that before. That pricing is pretty close to Redbreast 15 Year pricing (which also tastes very good).

I wasn’t willing to pay for the NAS price increase over the 12 year. Seemed like they were almost trying to trick folks or they ran out of inventory and wanted to make sure and have the base CS available. That and some meh reviews kept me away. So, now I’m not sure what to believe or think - the 12 yr is really, really good but at $70 it’s a little pricey for a possible daily pour. The 12 yr CS is one of my favorite affordable and findable bottles out there. If they are phasing it out then I’d definitely go back a couple backups at $97. I’m not paying $140 for the NAS - still makes no sense to me.

Anyone try Heaven's Door bourbon from Bob Dylan? They had a cool mini variety pack and loved the artwork on the bottles - have yet to try the bourbon though.

Anyone try Heaven's Door bourbon from Bob Dylan? They had a cool mini variety pack and loved the artwork on the bottles - have yet to try the bourbon though.

I've not had it but made me think of another question.

I'm a bourbon noob. Know very little.

But whenever I see a product and the primary attribute is someone famous puts their name on it, I immediately discount it. Especially when that famous person is not related to the field of the product.

Anyone else like this?

But whenever I see a product and the primary attribute is someone famous puts their name on it, I immediately discount it. Especially when that famous person is not related to the field of the product.

Anyone else like this?
Depends - Im willing to give it a shot - I loved my George Foreman Grill and Jimmy Buffet margarita maker lol.

Anyone else like this?
Depends - Im willing to give it a shot - I loved my George Foreman Grill and Jimmy Buffet margarita maker lol.

True. But I don't associate anyone more with Margaritas than Buffet! Did he have his own Tequila too? That would be a natural.

Anyone else like this?

True. But I don't associate anyone more with Margaritas than Buffet! Did he have his own Tequila too? That would be a natural.
I actually brought a very nice Buffet Margaritaville tailgate grill that went on my trailer hitch. Buffet made some good products!

Anyone else like this?
95% of my knowledge comes from reading and watching more educated reviewers online, so basically not much. Anyway, the consensus among about 5 or so reviewers I've seen discuss spirits endorsed/owned and/or named by a celebrity will vary, so it's a crap shoot in general. I actually did get to try Heaven's Door once at my local Total Wine, and IIRC, it wasn't bad, not in my wheelhouse of what I like in bourbon and not worth its higher cost.

That said, I've fallen for a brand from a different sort of celebrity: Sagamore Spirit. The 'celebrity' involved is Under Armor boss Kevin Plank, who launched the distillery in 2013. They're still new but they're getting a lot of love from the whiskey world. I applaud Sagamore for sticking with its vision and not venturing into bourbon, as the state of Maryland's whiskey history revolves more around rye than bourbon, and 'local pride' is definitely one of their selling points. I'm very much a noob when it comes to rye, especially because it always conjured images of tongue-biting peper that was nearly as offensive as the punch in the face that ethanol delivers. Yet, I've had both their cask strength and double oaked with nary a bite of pepper. This has turned my perception of rye on its ear and I plan on venturing more into rye this coming year, because if I end up not liking other brands, I'll always have Sagamore, and while it's out of my normal price range ($50 for the cask strength and $54 for the double oak), I'll always have them to fall back on.

Anyone else like this?
95% of my knowledge comes from reading and watching more educated reviewers online, so basically not much. Anyway, the consensus among about 5 or so reviewers I've seen discuss spirits endorsed/owned and/or named by a celebrity will vary, so it's a crap shoot in general. I actually did get to try Heaven's Door once at my local Total Wine, and IIRC, it wasn't bad, not in my wheelhouse of what I like in bourbon and not worth its higher cost.

That said, I've fallen for a brand from a different sort of celebrity: Sagamore Spirit. The 'celebrity' involved is Under Armor boss Kevin Plank, who launched the distillery in 2013. They're still new but they're getting a lot of love from the whiskey world. I applaud Sagamore for sticking with its vision and not venturing into bourbon, as the state of Maryland's whiskey history revolves more around rye than bourbon, and 'local pride' is definitely one of their selling points. I'm very much a noob when it comes to rye, especially because it always conjured images of tongue-biting peper that was nearly as offensive as the punch in the face that ethanol delivers. Yet, I've had both their cask strength and double oaked with nary a bite of pepper. This has turned my perception of rye on its ear and I plan on venturing more into rye this coming year, because if I end up not liking other brands, I'll always have Sagamore, and while it's out of my normal price range ($50 for the cask strength and $54 for the double oak), I'll always have them to fall back on.

You may have already tried it but I've found the Bulleit Rye to be similar in a much less peppery type finish. I like it a lot.

Anyone else like this?

You may have already tried it but I've found the Bulleit Rye to be similar in a much less peppery type finish. I like it a lot.
I have not, and I think it's been a case of irrational fear on my part, something I plan on addressing in the coming months.

Your comment also leads me to a question I've been meaning to pose to the bourbon guys at large: do you have any issues going back and forth between a brand's bourbons and ryes, or are they separate enough animals that it doesn't matter? For example, I really like Wild Turkey 101 bourbon, should that make a difference/alter my experience with their rye?

As for RYE's - Jack Daniels Barrel Proof Rye is really very good. One of my favorite rye's is Sagamore Spirit Sherry Cask. Other's also rave about the Sagamore Spirit Port Cask as well (although I have no had that one). I am not a huge fan of several finishes for bourbon's, but many of the finishes on rye's I find to be right in my wheelhouse.

If you check the bottle and is says Distilled in Indiana, chances are very good that it is sourced distillate from MGP. Their rye juice is very good and is used as a source in many famous rye whiskies out there.

Anyone else like this?

I have not, and I think it's been a case of irrational fear on my part, something I plan on addressing in the coming months.

Your comment also leads me to a question I've been meaning to pose to the bourbon guys at large: do you have any issues going back and forth between a brand's bourbons and ryes, or are they separate enough animals that it doesn't matter? For example, I really like Wild Turkey 101 bourbon, should that make a difference/alter my experience with their rye?

Again, I'm a novice. But I go back and forth between Bulleit's Rye and their regular Bourbon with no problem.

As for RYE's - Jack Daniels Barrel Proof Rye is really very good. One of my favorite rye's is Sagamore Spirit Sherry Cask. Other's also rave about the Sagamore Spirit Port Cask as well (although I have no had that one). I am not a huge fan of several finishes for bourbon's, but many of the finishes on rye's I find to be right in my wheelhouse.

If you check the bottle and is says Distilled in Indiana, chances are very good that it is sourced distillate from MGP. Their rye juice is very good and is used as a source in many famous rye whiskies out there.
Trying the Jack Daniels is going to require all of my fortitude, as I still have a block about Jack from the first and only time I tried it in high school. I think what holds me back is that I still expect to get the ethanol first, even though I recall liking the rest of it. I've heard nothing but good things about the Barrel Proof Rye, but it may be out of my price range anyway.

Regarding MGP, my first MGP sourced bourbon was Contradiction Smooth Ambler, and I really liked it. Fortunately, I'm not snob enough yet to look down at MGP products and will give them a chance. One of the whiskey review channels I like to watch is SLB Drinks (here is their review of their top ryes of 2023), and I think it's in this actual video that they mention MGP's rye distillate as being very good.

Anyone else like this?

Again, I'm a novice. But I go back and forth between Bulleit's Rye and their regular Bourbon with no problem.
That's good to know. In addition to Wild Turkey, I also like many of the offerings from the Heaven Hill distillery, and I know they have several good ryes.

Speaking of Heaven's Hill, I absolutely love Rittenhouse Rye as the base for almost all my whiskey based cocktails.

The Willet Family Reserve 4 yr rye (not owned by HH) is one that people either seem to love or hate. For me, I think it makes for incredible Sazaracs.

For what it's worth, and this is likely just me being odd, but I had a lesser opinion of Heaven Hill after touring the facility. Not because it's not nice. Actually the opposite. It feels like like a giant corporate headquarters. (Which it is). I knew it already of course, but when you can see the disconnect between the soulful story of Elijah Craig the preacher turned whisky maker and realize it's a corporate behemoth marketing machine, it felt a little odd.

Partly because it's just a few minutes from Willet and the vibe was night and day.

Speaking of Heaven's Hill, I absolutely love Rittenhouse Rye as the base for almost all my whiskey based cocktails.

The Willet Family Reserve 4 yr rye (not owned by HH) is one that people either seem to love or hate. For me, I think it makes for incredible Sazaracs.
I am not a big fan, but I don't hate it. I get a persistent medicinal/chemical presence on the palate that I wish wasn't there (reminds me a bit of the Willet pot still in that regard...also not a fan), but I really like the lingering finish on this rye.

For what it's worth, and this is likely just me being odd, but I had a lesser opinion of Heaven Hill after touring the facility. Not because it's not nice. Actually the opposite. It feels like like a giant corporate headquarters. (Which it is). I knew it already of course, but when you can see the disconnect between the soulful story of Elijah Craig the preacher turned whisky maker and realize it's a corporate behemoth marketing machine, it felt a little odd.

Partly because it's just a few minutes from Willet and the vibe was night and day.
Totally agree. No different from the Sazerac, Suntory, or other giant corporation owned places but the others seem to do a better job of disguising it than HH. It has a very homogenized and antiseptic feel.

Totally agree. No different from the Sazerac, Suntory, or other giant corporation owned places but the others seem to do a better job of disguising it than HH. It has a very homogenized and antiseptic feel.

It's sort of the same thing with Tito's Vodka. I remember the first time I saw it with the Hand Made thing. Then realized it's from a monster factory. I'm a capitalist so I'm all for the company making money. If they want to spill more vodka than most vokda companies make, good for them. But don't try to make me think it's "hand made". Technically or legally yes. But I'm not looking for things to be technically not a lie.

Touching on some recent topics:
  • Bulleit and Sagamore source from MGP so it's not surprising to get similar notes or palates. Their 95/5 rye is kind of the industry standard for sourcing. It's something I personally love so any "craft" brand that is sourcing and blending MGP rye will get my benefit of the doubt.
  • Most celebrity whiskeys are garbage and there's good reason for it. Typically it's a celebrity looking to cash in on the whiskey boom and make a buck. I won't give any celebrity whiskey a chance without multiple solid reviews from people I trust and even then I won't overpay just to drink Peyton Manning's whiskey.
  • Brand's rye vs. whiskey - this is an interesting question. I love WT bourbon and think the rye is just ok. I may need to think on this one some as it's not immediately obvious to me what my answer would be.
  • Jack Daniels in general - anybody who thinks of JD as old #7 needs to rethink and try their other stuff. Their barrel proof bourbon/rye and special release stuff is all great.

I recently discovered Bulleit Rye and think that once I finish the gigantic bottle of Bulleit Bourbon I just bought I will switch over to their rye. Very smooth with no after taste.
You and I seem to walk the same path here. I just started on Bulleit because, of all things, being hit over the head with it while binging Yellowstone but was pleasantly surprised with the upgrade from Evan Williams 1783.

Touching on some recent topics:
  • Bulleit and Sagamore source from MGP so it's not surprising to get similar notes or palates. Their 95/5 rye is kind of the industry standard for sourcing. It's something I personally love so any "craft" brand that is sourcing and blending MGP rye will get my benefit of the doubt.
  • Most celebrity whiskeys are garbage and there's good reason for it. Typically it's a celebrity looking to cash in on the whiskey boom and make a buck. I won't give any celebrity whiskey a chance without multiple solid reviews from people I trust and even then I won't overpay just to drink Peyton Manning's whiskey.
  • Brand's rye vs. whiskey - this is an interesting question. I love WT bourbon and think the rye is just ok. I may need to think on this one some as it's not immediately obvious to me what my answer would be.
  • Jack Daniels in general - anybody who thinks of JD as old #7 needs to rethink and try their other stuff. Their barrel proof bourbon/rye and special release stuff is all great.
The point about Sagamore is interesting. During my tour, they talked about the mash bill and that they blend two mash bills together--one is the 95/5 and I can't remember the specifics of the other mash bill, but it's the usual 50-something rye, 20-something corn and the rest is barley. I asked about if they had considered releasing the 95/5 'half' as its own thing and didn't get a straight answer, so I suppose that's the MGP part. I'm not sure if they're going to wean themselves of using MGP now that they've been up and running for a bit, but part of the tour was banging on about using local grains. Then again, why fix it if it's not broken?

Regarding the same brand's bourbon and ryes, that's kind of what I was wondering. If I don't like WT Rye, I don't want it to ruin my appreciation of the bourbon, and conversely, if I thought Old Forester bourbon or Jim Beam are just ok, I don't want to automatically write off their ryes and may find I like them more than their bourbons. I guess I'm just trying to get a feel for how similar bourbons and ryes might be.

As for Jack, it's completely just a mental block for me, due to lingering stories of things I did while blackout drunk on Old #7, including waking up with chunks of my own vomit in my hair the next morning. I've heard nothing but good things about their other offerings, so I won't say never.

Charlie - It's time to put away your previous nightmares and take a walk down Lynchburg Lane!!! (However I totally get as to where you are coming from.)

I also like to watch SLB!!! Great guys!! They are to bourbon's & whiskies like Joe Bryant is to the world of Fantasy Football - Good guys in an overly competitive market!

Users who are viewing this thread