What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (2 Viewers)

Echo the love for The Bear. Binged the whole thing (both seasons) over new years. Great show.

Absolutely couldn't stand the Richie character until the Forks episode. Just a great piece of TV and character development.

The Christmas episode was obviously absurd but insanely good. Jaime Lee Curtis just killed it

I had the opposite reaction to Forks in terms of the Richie character. I didn't hate the episode overall but didn't buy the change in Richie's character in Forks. I thought he was a great character up until that episode and just can't accept that spending a few nights polishing forks at a fancy restaurant could so fundamentally change who he is. I loved Fishes - one of the best episodes of any show in recent years - but I thought season 2 was far inferior to 1. There was a ton of filler in the first 4-5 episodes but the finale really put me over the edge. The ridiculous contrived part of Carmy being locked in the cooler and babbling nonsense not knowing Claire is outside the door had me questioning the whole season.
I'm kinda with you on Richie and the cooler scene.

I would've preferred a less abrupt catharsis for Richie... Maybe stretched out over a few episodes, started by "I wear suits now" in practice, but eventually getting to him actually wearing suits now in behavior.

As soon as I saw where the cooler scene was going, it felt like a too cheap plot contrivance not befitting the writing that has come before from that team. Seemed like something out of network drama, not this.

My favorite part of the fishes episode was Mylaney and wife who were able to stay somehow on the fringe of the mayhem, giving a more sympatico viewpoint for the typical tv viewer.

But I maintain that the scene between dork BIL and Jamie Lee was breathtaking. He just killed that scene.. as good as Jamie Lee was (and it's easy to be distracted by an actor letting loose as "crazy")
Agree with the bold as I found the cooler scene to also cheapen what was otherwise a stellar season. I saw it coming and was genuinely mad that the cooler scene ruined Carmy's relationship. To me, that relationship already had enough realistic and problematic issues that they didn't have to kill it. In other words, I felt the show would be justified in giving Carmy this one nice thing and the "Fishes" episode along with Carmy's mom refusing to come into the restaurant was just overkill on the writers' part.
Sounds like you didn't like Jamie Lees character?

I didn't mind her not going in (and as said, flat out loved the scene). and while overkill, I liked being thrown into her addiction/madness straight away in Fishes.
If I gave that impression, I didn't mean to. I though Jamie Lee's role as his mom was fantastically acted and I didn't take issue with her going in.

I just thought that on top of that depressing scene that Carmy didn't also have to botch his relationship with his girlfriend. In other words, I thought the combination of the two "sad" events was too much.
Gotcha... I misread.

For me, mom not going in made it less depressing not more. It was going to be another goofy Trainwreck like Fishes... And we already had that scene. I thought they played it really well with the writing there. And I was unhappily anticipating her blowing **** up in the restaurant... Relieved they didn't go that road.
Interesting, I didn't think of it that way. I took it more so as this was Carmy's chance to impress his mom and make her proud and his mom deprived him of that.
Seemed like it was more about the sister than Carm? Which is what made the BIL moment so awesome.

Echo the love for The Bear. Binged the whole thing (both seasons) over new years. Great show.

Absolutely couldn't stand the Richie character until the Forks episode. Just a great piece of TV and character development.

The Christmas episode was obviously absurd but insanely good. Jaime Lee Curtis just killed it

I had the opposite reaction to Forks in terms of the Richie character. I didn't hate the episode overall but didn't buy the change in Richie's character in Forks. I thought he was a great character up until that episode and just can't accept that spending a few nights polishing forks at a fancy restaurant could so fundamentally change who he is. I loved Fishes - one of the best episodes of any show in recent years - but I thought season 2 was far inferior to 1. There was a ton of filler in the first 4-5 episodes but the finale really put me over the edge. The ridiculous contrived part of Carmy being locked in the cooler and babbling nonsense not knowing Claire is outside the door had me questioning the whole season.

I would've preferred a less abrupt catharsis for Richie... Maybe stretched out over a few episodes, started by "I wear suits now" in practice, but eventually getting to him actually wearing suits now in behavior.

As soon as I saw where the cooler scene was going, it felt like a too cheap plot contrivance not befitting the writing that has come before from that team. Seemed like something out of network drama, not this.

My favorite part of the fishes episode was Mylaney and wife who were able to stay somehow on the fringe of the mayhem, giving a more sympatico viewpoint for the typical tv viewer.

But I maintain that the scene between dork BIL and Jamie Lee was breathtaking. He just killed that scene.. as good as Jamie Lee was (and it's easy to be distracted by an actor letting loose as "crazy")
Agree with the bold as I found the cooler scene to also cheapen what was otherwise a stellar season. I saw it coming and was genuinely mad that the cooler scene ruined Carmy's relationship. To me, that relationship already had enough realistic and problematic issues that they didn't have to kill it. In other words, I felt the show would be justified in giving Carmy this one nice thing and the "Fishes" episode along with Carmy's mom refusing to come into the restaurant was just overkill on the writers' part.

I didn't mind her not going in (and as said, flat out loved the scene). and while overkill, I liked being thrown into her addiction/madness straight away in Fishes.
If I gave that impression, I didn't mean to. I though Jamie Lee's role as his mom was fantastically acted and I didn't take issue with her going in.

I just thought that on top of that depressing scene that Carmy didn't also have to botch his relationship with his girlfriend. In other words, I thought the combination of the two "sad" events was too much.
Gotcha... I misread.

For me, mom not going in made it less depressing not more. It was going to be another goofy Trainwreck like Fishes... And we already had that scene. I thought they played it really well with the writing there. And I was unhappily anticipating her blowing **** up in the restaurant... Relieved they didn't go that road.
Interesting, I didn't think of it that way. I took it more so as this was Carmy's chance to impress his mom and make her proud and his mom deprived him of that.
Seemed like it was more about the sister than Carm? Which is what made the BIL moment so awesome.
Yeah maybe I was high and need to rewatch. :lmao:

Gotcha... I misread.

You and Lambskin could have a real Spicoli and Ebert thinging brewing.

Gotcha... I misread.

You and Lambskin could have a real Spicoli and Ebert thinging brewing.
I think we're on to something... we can basically make a really good TV shows into 2 wholly separate and distinct viewing experiences with different plotlines!

Last season of the crown was very uneven and all the focus on William sucked. But it was an excellent finale.

Enjoyed the show a lot and am pleased I can now return to never thinking about those morons ever again.
See, I can't stand the idea that a first world, civilized country still has a monarchy and I loathe anything about the British monarchy so this is exactly why I don't want to watch this show.
They never really painted them in the most positive light. They covered all the scandals and even scandals most people don’t know about.

Reactions: Zow
I kind of felt the last season of The Crown was more concerned with re-creating events that happened rather than shedding any light onto what those events mean or had anything to really say about them. More docudrama than character drama.

Thanks for all the Letterkenny talk. I started it last night after the Superbowl and laughed until I hyperventilated during the opening scene. Talk about coming out strong.
Found this show by chance from a short video on Facebook. Never even heard of it. That was less than 48 hours ago. I’m on season 3.
WELL let me tell ya something......

When you plow through here be sure to then go onto SHoresy spinoff.
I'm wearing my property of sutherland bulldogs sweatshirt as we speak

Thanks for all the Letterkenny talk. I started it last night after the Superbowl and laughed until I hyperventilated during the opening scene. Talk about coming out strong.
Found this show by chance from a short video on Facebook. Never even heard of it. That was less than 48 hours ago. I’m on season 3.
on Hulu? Paramount+? Disney+? some incestuous offshoot of one of those?

Hulu+ and Crave (canada eh)

Hulu.

Best episode of TV I watched this year: Forks - the Bear

HM - Connor's Wedding - Succession
Are your sure you dont mean Fishes? I thought that might be a top 5 episode of all time.
Forks resonated more with me in terms of one of the all time great character arc payoffs. Loved Fishes too though.
I thought Fishes was among the top TV episodes ever regarding the development of tension. Right up there with several moments in Breaking Bad but the Bear’s tension seemed even more concentrated and prolonged. It was painful yet brilliant to watch.
Just got to Fishes last night. One of the best episodes of television I’ve ever seen, and indeed just as tense as the best Breaking Bad episodes even though the subject matter is very different. Hopefully I’ll get to Forks today.
Very different episodes.
Forks was excellent as well. I’d probably place it third after Fishes and Review (S1E7).
Forks was my #1 in the whole series. Fishes was dead last for me. It did hit super close to home family wise, same as Shameless does often. My Mom didn't drive the car anywhere, but my grandfather threw my uncle through a wooden hutch on a Christmas eve. He also punched and threw one of my older cousins into the dinner table as they tried to restrain him. So many war vets and alcoholics in my clan.

Hulu.
welp, here we go boys

Hulu.
welp, here we go boys
Don’t leave us hanging…

Hulu.
welp, here we go boys

You're a top shelf sniper

Hulu.
welp, here we go boys
Don’t leave us hanging…
first ep made me laugh a few times out of the gate

23 minute run time. 7 minutes of ads across 4 breaks. oof.

Hulu.
welp, here we go boys
Don’t leave us hanging…

Understood, but that’s on Hulu, not the show.

Hulu.
welp, here we go boys
Don’t leave us hanging…

does it come in men’s?

i bet you do…

Hulu.
welp, here we go boys
Don’t leave us hanging…

does it come in men’s?

i bet you do…
had a giggle at that line, for sure

Hulu.
welp, here we go boys
Don’t leave us hanging…

Understood, but that’s on Hulu, not the show.
absolutely. it just stunted my desire to binge a few episodes last night. moved on to another show instead without commercials.

definitely going got revisit when i have the patience.

Got through about half of season 3 of Letterkenny last night, and the show has a different feel. Almost to the point where I thought for a moment they had replaced the actor who played Wayne. Think now it’s that so much time passed between the filming of season 2 and season 3 that the actors themselves aged. Still great.

Got through about half of season 3 of Letterkenny last night, and the show has a different feel. Almost to the point where I thought for a moment they had replaced the actor who played Wayne. Think now it’s that so much time passed between the filming of season 2 and season 3 that the actors themselves aged. Still great.
Very doubtful that the actor who plays Wayne would be replaced because he's one of the creators of the show.

Very doubtful that the actor who plays Wayne would be replaced because he's one of the creators of the show.
Understood and I couldn’t quite place what was off for a bit. It was like he was squinting like he had been or something, but also likely due to the time between filming seasons 2 and 3.

The wife and I started Shameless. Virgin viewing.....never even knew about this show.

So far 5 episodes into season 1 we love it.
one of the best. enjoy.

wife and i eventually quit watching as it becomes sort of a disrespectful parody of itself, but that was like maybe 7 seasons in. until then, mainly wow.

The wife and I started Shameless. Virgin viewing.....never even knew about this show.

So far 5 episodes into season 1 we love it.
First few seasons were great. A perfect mix of humor, drama, touching moments, falling in love with the characters, etc. Towards the end it starting becoming a parody of itself and I lost interest.

Just watched the first 2 episodes of Bookie, pretty decent so far.
We enjoyed it...but we are big Sebastian fans.....the show if it get’s a second season can develop into more....you can tell it is season one and it definitely needs more development. I hope they allow that to happen. I know so many of these characters in real life literally. If you ever were into or are into sports gambling and used bookies back in the day.....this is a very funny show.

Just watched the first 2 episodes of Bookie, pretty decent so far.
We enjoyed it...but we are big Sebastian fans.....the show if it get’s a second season can develop into more....you can tell it is season one and it definitely needs more development. I hope they allow that to happen. I know so many of these characters in real life literally. If you ever were into or are into sports gambling and used bookies back in the day.....this is a very funny show.
Maniscalco posted this week the show was picked up for a 2nd season.

Fool Me Once 6.5/10 (Netflix)

Wife and I binged this new Harlan Coben series this past weekend. Very in line with prior Coben series so if you liked those this is worth the watch. I'd describe the Coben shows like I would Robert Parker "Spencer" novels - completely mindless mysteries that hold your attention during the show/read but you'll immediately forget about it within moments of its conclusion. There is no stellar acting, there are laughably unbelievable plot points, and it runs on a little too long. But, it's entertaining enough if you like mysteries and like guessing how it'll end.
Coban shows always have multiple subplots and suspicious characters and you're right, they do hold your interest.

Fool Me Once 6.5/10 (Netflix)

Wife and I binged this new Harlan Coben series this past weekend. Very in line with prior Coben series so if you liked those this is worth the watch. I'd describe the Coben shows like I would Robert Parker "Spencer" novels - completely mindless mysteries that hold your attention during the show/read but you'll immediately forget about it within moments of its conclusion. There is no stellar acting, there are laughably unbelievable plot points, and it runs on a little too long. But, it's entertaining enough if you like mysteries and like guessing how it'll end.
Coban shows always have multiple subplots and suspicious characters and you're right, they do hold your interest.
Just finished this yesterday as well. I would give it a similar ranking. Didn’t care for the ending.

Loudermilk (season one only) - 7/10.

Have been watching this to fall asleep to the last week or so. Episodes are short and I loved the first half the of the first season. While they're different shows, it kind of had a Curb Your Enthusiasm vibe and similar viewing experience for me (episodes are short and mainly just situational comedy with deeply flawed yet endearing main characters). Would have given it an 8 or better but season one took on two main plot directions that I didn't really care for (Cutter and the wedding plotline). Honestly show kind of went off the rails for me and I'm hoping it redirects itself in season two.

The Money Heist spinoff Berlin is pretty bad and I'm close to stopping it before finishing. Nothing at all like Money Heist. Heck there's barely a heist.

Started Andor to kill some time one night waiting for the wife and kids to get back from something. I've not liked any of the Star Wars shows - love the universe, flat out hate the writing (as if done by a room full of not very smart or interesting 12 yo boys).

But this is some really good stuff... Writing by and for adults (I even love how the get into the bureaucracy of the empire) and great pacing and story lines. I'm all in on this one.

Started Andor to kill some time one night waiting for the wife and kids to get back from something. I've not liked any of the Star Wars shows - love the universe, flat out hate the writing (as if done by a room full of not very smart or interesting 12 yo boys).

But this is some really good stuff... Writing by and for adults (I even love how the get into the bureaucracy of the empire) and great pacing and story lines. I'm all in on this one.
They've turned the corner. The last season of the Mandalorian was way better once they took that stupid baby out of the crib and put him in a robot. Asohka was pretty good too if you can deal with the main character. I just wish the hot chick wouldn't have cut her hair.

Recently saw No One Will Save You, The Creator and They Cloned Tyrone, all decent. I thought No One Will Save You was cool in the sense that I was into it without any dialog. Not sure what it was all about, but kinda liked that. Wasn't expecting much from The Creator, and actually really liked it except the ending. Kinda of the same about They Cloned Tryrone; wasn't expecting much and enjoyed it. Some interesting social commentary and a weird/funny ride. Well done.

Any other new-ish sci fi movies worth watching?

Andor is the best Star Wars thing since Empire. Loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread