What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Philadelphia Eagles - Complete waste of a season finally comes to an end. (3 Viewers)

Per Tim McManus per a source there a disconnect between Sirianni, Hurts and Johnson on offensive philosophy.

Sirianni is also not as emotional as he once was is trying to keep them in check. Noticeable to players and staff

Source tells him that there’s been multiple finger pointing on both sides of the ball leading to various ideas how to fix things but some was biased for certain position groups. AJ brown spoke during one of the players only meetings say they need to trust their coaches. Meetings varied some players thought it was good others thought it led to more problems

Johnson is hugely regarded around the league. Hurts doesn’t like direction of offense wants more medium to short routes where brown thrives then flashy plays was hoping direction of offense would change in early stages of skid

Others close to source tell Tim it’s not a strong disconnect but getting use to a new Cordinator. Johnson trying to fit his philli to Nicks. Line is blurred so much who has most say most players don’t even know who has play calling power

Damning ESPN report about the state of the offense. Seems to be laying the groundwork with the timing for a firing on the horizon:

Sorry I just can’t. When I got to this I literally laughed out loud.

‪“the source familiar with Hurts' thinking”‬

‪Is this a F’ing joke? I’m sure this has been typed up for months and waiting for the perfect time to drop. Pathetic.
Tim is a good guy he doesn’t write fluff pieces or ********. He comes into my store a lot and my one customer is neighbors with him. If this was McLane I’d be weary but Tim doesn’t write click bait or fluff pieces like a lot of the other media in this town

This is a reading the tea leaves total BS article. He’s basically admitting it with that line.
Journalists use unnamed sources all the time. Weird take.
And they use those sources for direct quotes.

Regardless, citing a source who is familiar with someone’s thinking is laughable. Can you recall that being used ever prior to this article? Or is it a weird take cause it aligns with your beliefs?

This is not the same as using an unnamed source. Not even on the same planet.

Per Tim McManus per a source there a disconnect between Sirianni, Hurts and Johnson on offensive philosophy.

Sirianni is also not as emotional as he once was is trying to keep them in check. Noticeable to players and staff

Source tells him that there’s been multiple finger pointing on both sides of the ball leading to various ideas how to fix things but some was biased for certain position groups. AJ brown spoke during one of the players only meetings say they need to trust their coaches. Meetings varied some players thought it was good others thought it led to more problems

Johnson is hugely regarded around the league. Hurts doesn’t like direction of offense wants more medium to short routes where brown thrives then flashy plays was hoping direction of offense would change in early stages of skid

Others close to source tell Tim it’s not a strong disconnect but getting use to a new Cordinator. Johnson trying to fit his philli to Nicks. Line is blurred so much who has most say most players don’t even know who has play calling power

Damning ESPN report about the state of the offense. Seems to be laying the groundwork with the timing for a firing on the horizon:

‪Is this a F’ing joke? I’m sure this has been typed up for months and waiting for the perfect time to drop. Pathetic.
Tim is a good guy he doesn’t write fluff pieces or ********. He comes into my store a lot and my one customer is neighbors with him. If this was McLane I’d be weary but Tim doesn’t write click bait or fluff pieces like a lot of the other media in this town

This is a reading the tea leaves total BS article. He’s basically admitting it with that line.

Regardless, citing a source who is familiar with someone’s thinking is laughable. Can you recall that being used ever prior to this article? Or is it a weird take cause it aligns with your beliefs?

I'm with ya. I think both things can be true. Maybe not great sourcing ,but also, the jist of the article probably isn't wrong.

Seems like a bs article. Doubt he has any inside info

Reactions: JAA

Ya like if the source knew Hurts, he'd say "familiar with Hurts". Saying "familiar with Hurts' line of thinking" could mean Hurts makes grocery lists and this source is familiar with making grocery lists.

Eagles fans: Need your advice. I’m headed to the Sixers-Nuggets game tomorrow night in Philly and am supposed to wear casual clothes (strong nudge to wear a hoodie). Do I wear a Packer hoodie — good karma with Sixers fans since the Pack just beat Dallas — or Golden State gear (favorite b-ball team since 1989), or do I buy Philly sports gear to assure nobody messes with me?

Note: I grew up a fan of all Philly sports (Eagles, Sixers, Phillies, even the Philadelphia Stars of the USFL) but will always be a Packers fan first and foremost.
I went to a few games in my bulls gear but at the same time there were a few bulls fans there. Didn’t have an issue. There were a few idiot Sixers “fans” trying to start stuff 2 of the games I was at but it was quickly dealt with by ushers. I put “fan” in quotes because they looked like they hit the sauce pretty good prior to the game and seemed more interested in causing issues then being there to watch the game.

I’m sure packers gear would be fine and you might get some high fives compliments and thank yous after yesterday.

Last edited:

I'm with ya. I think both things can be true. Maybe not great sourcing ,but also, the jist of the article probably isn't wrong.

Ya like if the source knew Hurts, he'd say "familiar with Hurts". Saying "familiar with Hurts' line of thinking" could mean Hurts makes grocery lists and this source is familiar with making grocery lists.

Correct. It’s an opinion piece being intentionally misleading to look like it’s from inside the team.

I’m sorry if you can’t believe it but Tim isn’t like these other guys. You’re also taking one piece of the article not the whole. This is concerning no matter what.

I’ve seen it used by other journalists especially reading stuff about soccer. Not something used as general as unnamed source familiar with team or X person but it’s used

Tim is the one who called out Jeff Mclanes report in 2020 about Lurie being too mad to travel to the game in Clevland stating he didn’t go as he was having thanksgiving in NE with his mother and taking precautions.

Tim also wrote a pretty good piece on the whole “Wentz Locker room fight” which was nothing more than sproles loudly talking to cheer Wentz up during a rehab session for both. There was no fights being broken up or physicality like others had stated.

So he doesn’t come out with misleading pieces

He just did
I find it ironic how a lot of you guys will believe anything from guys that do that constantly but when a report from a well respected journalist comes out you guys call bs.
Because there's a difference between a guy having a source, and a guy knowing a dude that has a similar thought process to hurts but has never met him.

He just did
I find it ironic how a lot of you guys will believe anything from guys that do that constantly but when a report from a well respected journalist comes out you guys call bs.

If that article was written about my most hated player or team I’d still call it BS.

There’s nothing in that article we haven’t talked about for a while. He’s reading the tea leaves and saying it as if it’s inside knowledge. For instance, if Johnson didn’t get any HC interviews do you think that line about him being “highly respected around the league” makes it? Of course not. You can go line by line and see what I mean.

And nothing is absolute. Good writers make mistakes or take short cuts. Crap ones are right at times too.

Think about it like this, you posted a McLane article cause it aligned with your beliefs even though you know all he writes is BS. This is what Timmy is doing.

Get hired as an offensive guru and immediately have to give up offensive play calling duties-strike 1
SB appearnace
Lemme see if I understand this

• Coach acknowledges the team would be better off if someone else takes over play calling. Coach pushing his ego aside ends up being right choice and team goes to Super Bowl.

Thats a bad thing?

Leadership isnt always about winning, leadership is often about playing +EV. You make the best decisions you can when you can.

There are multiple coaches available who do multiple.things better than nick.. why keep him? What exactly does he do well? He doesn't call plays on offense. He doesn't do defense. I'm not sure what he does at all honestly
Name multiple coaches available who took their team to the Super Bowl last year and the playoffs this year.
Again, I think he won't be fired unless he's lost the locker room.... and Lurie will have that answer and act accordingly. I'm in your camp though, I think he hasn't lost them and we should keep him. But there IS a possibility he's not here next year, even if it's small.
How could he have "lost" the locker room? Some players go an entire career never playing in a playoff game let alone a Super Bowl. Which player doesnt want to be on the Eagles and have a chance to go to the Super Bowl right now. Name one please!

I don’t know man. I think the chances are very good that Belichick would come here.

To be clear, I don’t want Sirianni fired, and I don’t want BB to come here. However, the Eagles organization from Lurie to Howie has always seemed to be interested in doing things the Patriots way. You’ve already got Matt Patricia, his best defensive coordinator of the past, in the building. You’ve got Josh McDaniels, his best offensive coordinator of years past, out there are not working currently. And let’s be honest, Belichick wants to go somewhere that he can rip off 15 wins and break Don Shula’s record. This team would offer that right out of the gate. He’s not looking to build a new team, he’s looking to win now.
I'm not sure I agree with the bolded.

When Lurie bought the team, he wanted to model the franchise on the 49ers. When the 49ers top offensive assistants opted for other opportunities, Lurie hired their defensive coordinator, Ray Rhodes. By the late '90s, the 49ers tree was fully integrated into the Packers, and Lurie plucked Andy Reid from there. The driving impetus after Reid was fired was to find someone "innovative". Like Reid had been. The driving impetus after Chip Kelly was fired, and after Doug was fired as well, was to find someone who was "innovative" but would work in tandem with the front office and not insist on running the show themselves. Like all franchises that aren't completely out to lunch, they have borrowed some ideas from the Patriots on how to build a sustained winning culture, but I don't thing the big picture suggests that "they have always seemed to be interested in doing things the Patriots way."

Yep. They seem hell bent on getting the Mike McDaniel, Sean McVeigh, Kyle Shanahan type of HC. I can’t necessarily disagree with their logic there either. If they move on from Sirianni, who’s that guy? Johnson from Detroit is all I could see.
THey are not moving on from Nick. This is ridiculous. Super Bowl appearance, lose BOTH coordinators, then still make the playoffs with such poor talent/depth on defense. No way. If anything Nick should be coach of the year.

Sometimes people act like all smart choices work out. Its very possible both coordinators Nick chose fissile out. It happens. It doesnt mean fire the coach on first mistake. I would wager Nick gets at least 2 more years even if he misses the playoffs next season.
I mean I agree, I don’t think it would be fair to fire Nick. But Lurie is in the building and sees what’s happening behind closed doors. If the players are simply tuning Nick out and not buying what he’s selling anymore (which is what it looks like) Lurie will absolutely zip him.
Its been my observation that if anything, Lurie is a patient and 'late to act' manager
Let me put it this way. From people I know after they won the SB Lurie wanted to fire DC Jimschwartz. He was embarassed how bad the defense played on a national level. He didn’t only because of how late in hiring process they were and no great canditates. Schwartz stayed a bit longer and my coworkers son Position coach he was an assistant left the next year do to Schwartz staying. Final year Schwartz was lazy slept in his office during meetings etc to the point my coworkers son coached the defense on game days the final year. Schwartz left for the “Urban Meyer health reasons” but he had become lazy and was just a ******** excuse most people outside the team would take as a good excuse to leave.

So Lurie can be patient but from people I’ve talked to over the past week he’s ****ing pissed off. He knows this team does well the city does better. They are the flag bear of sports teams in this city in terms of success. A lot will depend on this game and how they do and what Nick does in the exit interview
I cant dispute your second hand knowledge.

However, Schwartz has/had the #1 defense this year IIRC and will be a candidate for HC positions. So with all do respect, the "lazy" comments dont pass the sniff test.

Most Eagles fans that follow the team closely, and have for years/decades, recognized a team that was in the midst of a disastrous collapse 2 months ago.

Fans of other teams (not just Joe) that saw it from the outside as just a little slump against decent teams repeatedly kept coming around stating with absolute certainty that what we were saying was happening and would happen was not a possibility.

Some were doing it due to naïveté. If you haven’t lived through the daily grind of the Kotite era, Bobby Hoying as your franchise QB, Andy Reid’s early career time management, etc., you just won’t have the same “insider” perspective. Stating 100% absolutes that are positive in nature about this team is a hubris only an “outsider” could possess.

From the outside, there’s a talented roster of offensive players, a cupcake schedule to end the year, and a coach/QB combo with an absurd winning percentage. So it will be all good, right? But from the inside, it was 11 weeks of “not playing a complete game yet.” The offense and defense both had multiple, questionable performances but not usually on the same day (except for the NYJ game), which kept up the illusion. The run game, and particularly the OLine, was not able to dominate when needed to sustain a drive after long defensive possession, or to close out in the 4th with a lead. Weapons like Goedert and Swift would disappear for stretches of GAMES, not series. The situational play calling, on both sides, was maddening since week 1. And on and on and on.

Now, others were doing the “They are fine. This team is great. They will win.” deliberately to be able to take shots at a rival team/fan base in a subversive way. And I respect it; I’m never above pulling out a classic reverse jinx.

TL;DR - Should not happen >>> Will not happen.:shrug:
Couple of points

Eagles fans who lived through Kotite should be grateful for Lurie, Roseman, and now Nick.

Our schedule this year was record hard IIRC.

Since when is winning games ugly a bad thing?

No one is saying the team is fine, not even rainbow homer pants me. However, there is a difference between a late season collapse and firing an entire staff because of when in the season we lost games and /only/ making the playoffs.

PLEASE PHILLY FANS, I LIVE IN NEW ENGLAND AND IM BEGGING YOU ALL NOT TO TURN INTO UNGRATEFUL PATRIOTS FANS

glll peas!!1!!11!

:ptts:
If anything, UNGRATEFUL PATRIOT FAN is the grandchild of UNGRATEFUL PHILLY FAN.
Not the same at all.

What specifically are y'all saying is wrong in the McManus article?

This feels like hardly a hot take:

A disconnect between the visions of Sirianni, Hurts and offensive coordinator Brian Johnson has affected the offense's ability to land on an identity, the source said.

I'd imagine McCarthy is done in Dallas. I could see Belichick being their next head coach.
What is the love with BB?

Name 1 thing BB has done without Tom Brady? Not to mention his defenses after Spygate.

Yes BB will go down as the greatest NFL coach of all time. However, I have concerns about the validity of his wins.

Guys, we’re going to have to exercise some patience. They’re going to be trolling extra hard in here now because of this loss.
After all the trash they’ve talked all season and they are guaranteed an equal season to ours at best….hopefully they have some self awareness.
Tonight it will be with how obsessed we are with them.

Yet they talk about the Eagles 2X as much as they talk about the Cowboys on this board.
I can't even find their team thread.
It's hidden for me because it was started by someone I have on ignore. I think you can find it if you go to the pinned post of links to team threads.
Found it! Weird how the 2 Cowboys fans that love trolling our thread have nothing to say about their own team coming off one of the biggest playoff chokes of all time.

NINE ALL PRO PLAYERS! NINE.

Become the first team ever to lose to a 7 seed while they were riding a 15 game home winning streak. To a QB in his first full season starting. Epic collapse.
Are we really surprised though? They are who we thought they were.
IF YOU WANT TO CROWN EM, THEN CROWN THEIR ***!

A disconnect between the visions of Sirianni, Hurts and offensive coordinator Brian Johnson has affected the offense's ability to land on an identity, the source said.

That the “source” seems to claim things that most, if not all, fans have been saying for a while. The “source familiar with Hurts’ thinking” is also a bad look. It’s purely an opinion piece based on what the masses were thinking and thought. The timing is also impeccable

Eagles fans: Need your advice. I’m headed to the Sixers-Nuggets game tomorrow night in Philly and am supposed to wear casual clothes (strong nudge to wear a hoodie). Do I wear a Packer hoodie — good karma with Sixers fans since the Pack just beat Dallas — or Golden State gear (favorite b-ball team since 1989), or do I buy Philly sports gear to assure nobody messes with me?

Note: I grew up a fan of all Philly sports (Eagles, Sixers, Phillies, even the Philadelphia Stars of the USFL) but will always be a Packers fan first and foremost.
Absolutely wear a GB hoodie. Someone will buy you drinks

Those stories are horrible, I cant even open them. Such a waste. I could prolly make up something better.

Can't wait for this game to be played. One way or another the nonsense will be over
Not when we win

I mean seriously, does anyone think TB is a better team than us? Sure, we lost some games poorly, but does anything think GB was a better team than Dallas?

We are a better team. We just have to win the game.

Right. And for what it’s worth, I’ve never known Tim McManus to be a hot take, Clickbait, kind of guy. None of this stuff sounds made up, in fact, it’s all things that we’ve sort of been guessing at all season long.

Right. And for what it’s worth, I’ve never known Tim McManus to be a hot take, Clickbait, kind of guy. None of this stuff sounds made up, in fact, it’s all things that we’ve sort of been guessing at all season long.
It seems like it might be Brian Johnson trying to put out a narrative before he is fired.

Can't wait for this game to be played. One way or another the nonsense will be over
Not when we win

I mean seriously, does anyone think TB is a better team than us? Sure, we lost some games poorly, but does anything think GB was a better team than Dallas?

No I think TB is substantially worse than we are. We should absolutely beat this team by 10 points. And I think we will.

I’ve never known Tim McManus to be a hot take, Clickbait, kind of guy. None of this stuff sounds made up, in fact, it’s all things that we’ve sort of been guessing at all season long.

Exactly. Really surprised to see the negative reaction to what seems like what most people think.

Not when we win

No I think TB is substantially worse than we are. We should absolutely beat this team by 10 points. And I think we will.
0.0% chance we win tonight.

Not when we win

I think most of us right now are just trying to mask and protect our emotions. The ole reverse jinx psychology. We don't win "I expected this"

But if we win, it plants seeds of hope that could bloom into flowers.

Tampa Bay struggled badly with Carolina.

Sure, Hurts may be limited but so is Mayfield.

Eagles are a MUCH better team in my opinion and should win by more than the 3 points Las Vegas has them as a road favorite.

Eagles are a MUCH better team in my opinion and should win by more than the 3 points Las Vegas has them as a road favorite.
Was wondering when the post about how bad our opponent was gonna hit! Like clockwork.

He just did
The issue is the article reeks of conjecture and speculation. Is it true? Might be, but the article sounds horrible.
Yeah, very poorly written and click-baity. Maybe that's not his style, but sure was here.

Was wondering when the post about how bad our opponent was gonna hit! Like clockwork.
I know you like to poke Joe about these predictions, but like, he’s not wrong. Carolina couldn’t put up a touchdown against the worst team in the league as recently as last week. And Baker Mayfield is injured. Understanding that our defense resembles wet paper, with the talented team has we should frankly truck the bucs

I know you like to poke Joe about these predictions, but like, he’s not wrong. Carolina couldn’t put up a touchdown against the worst team in the league as recently as last week. And Baker Mayfield is injured. Understanding that our defense resembles wet paper, with the talented team has we should frankly truck the bucs
Yep, but we also should have trucked Arizona and Seattle and NYG.

It's also funny that he made zero predictions about ANY other game this weekend, and the only NFL-related posts made since Friday have been about Philly.

That the “source” seems to claim things that most, if not all, fans have been saying for a while

That's what I mean. What he's saying seems like what everyone already thinks. I didn't understand why that would be objectionable by people?

Because now all of what you thought was true is “confirmed” by a “source who’s familiar with Hurts’ thinking”…..I’d bet most didn’t make it that far to even see the source who can mind read.

Yep, but we also should have trucked Arizona and Seattle and NYG.
True story. I don’t bemoan anyone for thinking this team is going to lose. I just don’t think they are. I think this game is going to resemble what they did the last time they were in Tampa, lots of DeAndre Swift, and generally controlling the game for the whole time.

:confused: Did someone say Tampa Bay was "bad"?

The Eagles played some bad opponents in December. That is not up for debate. Tampa played a terrible opponent in Week 18. That's not up for debate.

Tampa Bay is obviously good. I think the Eagles are significantly better. Las Vegas making them a 3 point favorite on the road seems to agree. :shrug:

That the “source” seems to claim things that most, if not all, fans have been saying for a while

That's what I mean. What he's saying seems like what everyone already thinks. I didn't understand why that would be objectionable by people?

Because now all of what you thought was true is “confirmed” by a “source who’s familiar with Hurts’ thinking”…..I’d bet most didn’t make it that far to even see the source who can mind read.
I don’t really have a dog in this fight, but I think you are being way too literal with the phrase “familiar with Hurts thinking”. I mean, I guess it could be a mind reader.

More likely, its someone that speaks with him and understands what he’s thinking because he’s heard him say it. That seems very plausible and exactly what an unnamed source is.

Eagles have struggled with everyone. There was a point in the Giants game where 7 of the opponent last 10 drives (Arizona and Giants) resulted in TD’s. Thats not just bad, that’s BAAAAAAAAAADDDDDD!!!

TB’s defense will also be amongst the toughest we’ve faced lately too which is scary considering how inept the offense has been.

I don’t really have a dog in this fight, but I think you are being way too literal with the phrase “familiar with Hurts thinking”. I mean, I guess it could be a mind reader.

More likely, its someone that speaks with him and understands what he’s thinking because he’s heard him say it. That seems very plausible and exactly what an unnamed source is.
Not that it could be a mind reader. The writer does it intentionally because than it could be anyone. If he cites a source with direct knowledge or one that said Hurts said it narrows the path down. Nothing about Hurts seems like he’s a talker like that to me. So go with someone who just knows how he thinks and run with it.

We’ve all been in here long enough to say we all are familiar with how one another think, no?

:confused: Did someone say Tampa Bay was "bad"?

The Eagles played some bad opponents in December. That is not up for debate. Tampa played a terrible opponent in Week 18. That's not up for debate.

Tampa Bay is obviously good. I think the Eagles are significantly better. Las Vegas making them a 3 point favorite on the road seems to agree. :shrug:
Ok "Tampa struggled badly with Carolina" seems to be saying Tampa is not very good, no?

It's just the timing of it. Like clockwork, a post mentioning weaknesses of our opponent.

And You've made 20 posts about the NFL since Thursday. All 20 have been about Philly haha

Not that it could be a mind reader. The writer does it intentionally because than it could be anyone. If he cites a source with direct knowledge or one that said Hurts said it narrows the path down. Nothing about Hurts seems like he’s a talker like that to me. So go with someone who just knows how he thinks and run with it.

We’ve all been in here long enough to say we all are familiar with how one another think, no?
(y)

Users who are viewing this thread