What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (4 Viewers)

Blockers and Book Smart are probably the last 2 raunchy comedies

The new one with Jennifer Lawrence was raunchy but not very funny imo

Many of those great comedies are like the movies I listed though- not pure comedies. Beverly Hills Cop is also a cop action movie, Ghostbusters is sci-fi, the Chaplin movies had sentimental plots as well. I just don’t get the idea of saying EEAO isn’t a comedy. It’s got a lesbian relationship between two women’ with hot dogs for fingers, a raccoon that sits on a chefs head and controls him, talking rocks, butt plugs. I mean if that’s not an insane comedy, what is?

There is absolutely no doubt comedies just don’t do the same business, don’t get the same opportunities, marketing, etc. However there are still funny movies being made. The Holdovers was hilarious for example.

Everything in Hollywood runs in cycles. The apparent death of bankable superhero franchises will open the door to something else. Comedy is handicapped by the industry's dependence on global box office but we can hope.

I finally watched Hot Tub Time Machine (Netflix). I laughed a lot, just a fun movie. More boobs than I was expecting, too. As soon as Corddroy's character mentioned hooking up with a girl, it was clear who it would be.
A classic comedy

Speaking of which what's the last great comedy made? It seems like there hasn't been a good one in 10 years. Nobody makes comedies anymore.
The Holdovers, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Palm Springs, Rye Lane, Shiva Baby, Barbie, Jojo Rabbit, Booksmart, Lady bird, Game Night, The Nice Guys are all really funny movies from the last 8 or so years
Game night is sooooooooooo underrated. Wife and I :lmao: throughout.
Which is very rare as we have very different sense of humors.

Ok, you didn't think it was a funny movie? Cool. I did.

I wouldn’t consider it a comedy but I definitely laughed a few times

It's not a yuckfest but there are some very funny bits. Giamatti and Randolph are both excellent comic actors. She was hysterical in My Name is Dolemite and as the Jack Black character in the reboot of High Fidelity.

Three solid laughs is my minimum requirement for comedies. The Holdovers qualified along with every Jerry Lewis movie I've ever seen. Some episodes of SNL don't make it three.

I finally watched Hot Tub Time Machine (Netflix). I laughed a lot, just a fun movie. More boobs than I was expecting, too. As soon as Corddroy's character mentioned hooking up with a girl, it was clear who it would be.
A classic comedy

Speaking of which what's the last great comedy made? It seems like there hasn't been a good one in 10 years. Nobody makes comedies anymore.
The Holdovers, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Palm Springs, Rye Lane, Shiva Baby, Barbie, Jojo Rabbit, Booksmart, Lady bird, Game Night, The Nice Guys are all really funny movies from the last 8 or so years
Game night is sooooooooooo underrated. Wife and I :lmao: throughout.
Which is very rare as we have very different sense of humors.

it was entertaining ...didn't love it though ...

still trying to get the shock of Lacey passing away ...gutted

A classic comedy

I laughed out loud multiple times during Game Night. My wife and stodgy Father-in-Law watched it and also laughed out loud many times.

It's not a yuckfest but there are some very funny bits. Giamatti and Randolph are both excellent comic actors. She was hysterical in My Name is Dolemite and as the Jack Black character in the reboot of High Fidelity.

Three solid laughs is my minimum requirement for comedies. The Holdovers qualified along with every Jerry Lewis movie I've ever seen. Some episodes of SNL don't make it three.
It was certainly intended to be funny. It’s labeled as a comedy on any movie website, it’s own marketing, it’s nominated in the comedy categories for awards, etc. It seems like maybe some people just have a different threshold for what a comedy is and expect it to have very little to no serious elements. I’m kind of surprised by some of the responses here about what is or isn’t a comedy.

It was certainly intended to be funny. It’s labeled as a comedy on any movie website, it’s own marketing, it’s nominated in the comedy categories for awards, etc. It seems like maybe some people just have a different threshold for what a comedy is and expect it to have very little to no serious elements. I’m kind of surprised by some of the responses here about what is or isn’t a comedy.
Dude you're lost

Just because there's a laugh or two in a movie it isn't a comedy

Wedding Crashers
Anchorman
Dumb and Dumber
Something About Mary
Hangover
Bridesmaids
Horrible Bosses
Superbad
American Pie
Stepbrothers

THESE are comedies

Dude you're lost

Every movie I mentioned is listed as a comedy on IMDB, Wikipedia, etc.

Dude you're lost

I really don't care what they're listed as

Dude you're lost

I just tried to recommend some funny movies.. You don’t need to watch them. I can discuss with other people here what’s funny or what’s a comedy and it doesn’t need to comply to your standards.

Dude you're lost

I just tried to recommend some funny movies.. You don’t need to watch them. I can discuss with other people here what’s funny or what’s a comedy and it doesn’t need to comply to your standards.
Nah I think you were missing the point of my original post. I never asked people to recommend me some funny movies.

Dude you're lost

Nah I think you were missing the point of my original post. I never asked people to recommend me some funny movies.
But that convo was basically over. You just jumped back into a series of replies that you weren’t part of telling me I was lost for talking about comedies with other posters here.

Dude you're lost

But that convo was basically over. You just jumped back into a series of replies that you weren’t part of telling me I was lost for talking about comedies with other posters here.
Who said it was over? You replied to the article I posted

Ftr... I thoroughly enjoyed The Holdovers and laughed a number of times. Between the writing and the actors, a really solid movie with quite a lot of quality humor in it.

I responded to the word "hilarious". I don't mind calling it comedy, but that's not a word I came away with at all as defining that movie.

Ftr... I thoroughly enjoyed The Holdovers and laughed a number of times. Between the writing and the actors, a really solid movie with quite a lot of quality humor in it.

I responded to the word "hilarious". I don't mind calling it comedy, but that's not a word I came away with at all as defining that movie.
Fair, hilarious might not have been the right word. It’s funny, amusing, witty. I saw it in a sold out theater though and it got a lot of steady laughs but you are right it’s not There’s Something About Mary or Spaceballs.

Funny enough, there was a little controversy and debate about this topic last night as it relates to the Emmys

Bear isnt a comedy. Im sure that Seven Fishes episode had people rolling on the floor with laughter.

Funny enough, there was a little controversy and debate about this topic last night as it relates to the Emmys

Bear isnt a comedy. Im sure that Seven Fishes episode had people rolling on the floor with laughter.
I would consider a comedy and a drama. Seven Fishes was funny. It was chaotic, anarchic and a ton of miserable fun. The bit with Mulaney mocking their stupid investment ideas, mom driving the car into the house after a million bottles of wine, the showdown between Berenthal and Odenkirk. My group text with my friends blew up after we all watched that with how funny (and great) it was.

Corner Office with John Hamm. I liked Hamm's performance and there was a good idea there but it just didn't go in any direction, didn't have enough humor for that kind of movie and was just one note. I won't say I hated it but it had potential for a lot more, so it was more disappointing.

I just watched this and thought it was great - really good acting all around. I don’t really care about what folks call it, I laughed several times and that it was really charming.

You know how 10% of the population thinks cilantro tastes like soap and can't eat it?

I feel that way about Joachim Phoenix. I got into a big Johnny Cash phase recently (thanks to the FFA) and was excited to watch "Walk the Line" last night.

I turned it off 30 minutes in. His acting just doesn't work for me. I'm sure he's great but he's not for me. I don't think I've ever watched a movie of his I loved. "To Die For" was good but he wasn't the main.
I dunno. I'll try to finish but he's cilantro for me and I'm the 10%.

I simply cannot watch him. All my friends and family joke about this when he has a new movie out. "Oh, Napoleon looks good but we know you won't see it." I won't. Something about him is unbearable for me. On the female side, I feel the same about Martha Plimpton, who luckily isn't in as many movies I'd otherwise see.

Had no idea anyone else felt this way! :hifive:
Interesting. I feel the same about Plimpton (and Juliette Lewis). I was excited about the upcoming HBO series The Regime with Kate Winslet. Then Martha P showed up in the trailer and that's over with.

You know how 10% of the population thinks cilantro tastes like soap and can't eat it?

I feel that way about Joachim Phoenix. I got into a big Johnny Cash phase recently (thanks to the FFA) and was excited to watch "Walk the Line" last night.

I turned it off 30 minutes in. His acting just doesn't work for me. I'm sure he's great but he's not for me. I don't think I've ever watched a movie of his I loved. "To Die For" was good but he wasn't the main.

I simply cannot watch him. All my friends and family joke about this when he has a new movie out. "Oh, Napoleon looks good but we know you won't see it." I won't. Something about him is unbearable for me. On the female side, I feel the same about Martha Plimpton, who luckily isn't in as many movies I'd otherwise see.

She was great in Sprung!

The Beekeeper - yikes that was bad. Maybe I don’t have the tolerance for mindless action that I used to.
I'm 48 and thought it was a great popcorn movie, I hope they make another one :shrug:
Yep it was a perfect grab brunch with the lady, and get cheap tickets for a noon showing movie....

Over the top? of course but thats what i look forward too
Like I said, maybe it’s just passed me by. Dialogue was beyond cringeworthy

Interesting. I feel the same about Plimpton (and Juliette Lewis). I was excited about the upcoming HBO series The Regime with Kate Winslet. Then Martha P showed up in the trailer and that's over with.
This is Tilda Swinton for me. Unfortunately, she is talented and finds her way into acclaimed movies I then have to not watch. :lol:

The 4K version of The Untouchables looks fantastic. Brilliant, vivid colors, and great cinematography (kudos to De Palma for filming a movie in downtown Chicago in the mid-1980's without betraying anything of the movie's time period).

I hadn't seen the movie in twenty years and had forgotten how epically good it is. Kevin Costner was lean and ridiculously good-looking and went toe-to-toe with De Niro and Connery. De Niro obviously enjoyed playing Capone full throttle, completely over the top.

Connery's "Mr. Nesshh" is still a great line.

This is Tilda Swinton for me. Unfortunately, she is talented and finds her way into acclaimed movies I then have to not watch. :lol:
Damn, you've skipped most of the MCU movies?

I don't THINK I've seen one with her in it. Isn't she in the Dr. Strange movie and others after that?

I don't THINK I've seen one with her in it. Isn't she in the Dr. Strange movie and others after that?
Yes, she's mainly in the Strange movies, but also in some of the Avengers movies.

Users who are viewing this thread