What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

True Detective: Tom went in to listen to the Cardinals game...in November. Mmmmmhmmmm... (3 Viewers)

I am only halfway through EP1 - but I am going to go with some sort of ancient virus that has thawed from one of their ice cores/samples caused them to go crazy, and flee into to darkness, where they end up dead from hypothermia.

Either that, or aliens.

If it's aliens then what the hell are True Detectives going to do? This series is about solving hideous crimes and justice. Gonna go out and arrest an alien?
Yeah, I hope it isn't aliens or something supernatural.

My wife decided to watch season 4 with me and she hasn't seen the earlier seasons. We finished the episode and she was kind of annoyed with me that I said it's a well-done mystery show (kind of like Mare from Eastown, which she liked, with pacing like Fargo, which she also liked) and instead we're getting aliens or some ancient monster.

Unless, of course, it's a monster Daddario or an alien Daddario.

I am only halfway through EP1 - but I am going to go with some sort of ancient virus that has thawed from one of their ice cores/samples caused them to go crazy, and flee into to darkness, where they end up dead from hypothermia.

Either that, or aliens.

If it's aliens then what the hell are True Detectives going to do? This series is about solving hideous crimes and justice. Gonna go out and arrest an alien?

My wife decided to watch season 4 with me and she hasn't seen the earlier seasons. We finished the episode and she was kind of annoyed with me that I said it's a well-done mystery show (kind of like Mare from Eastown, which she liked, with pacing like Fargo, which she also liked) and instead we're getting aliens or some ancient monster.

Having been to Alaska a half dozen times or so, Agent Navarro is the Alaska version of Booby McBlue Eyes. Yeeeeehaw!

Either that, or aliens.

Having been to Alaska a half dozen times or so, Agent Navarro is the Alaska version of Booby McBlue Eyes. Yeeeeehaw!
Love me some Kali Reis :wub:

Either that, or aliens.

Love me some Kali Reis :wub:

This is my introduction to her body of work. Fast fan here!

Spoiler

So many questions. Do we know what year this is supposed to be?

Yeah, I was picking up on many of the similarities to S1. I've also seen a few background advertisements for the Blue King. I don't have answers but I'm really enjoying it. Just the right amount of mysticism.

Really glad Cary Fukanaga is involved this season. He was sorely missed after what he accomplished in the first one. Brilliant director.

As for what year, clearly modern day judging from the technology. Probably 21/22.

Last edited:
Season 1 didn't have any supernatural stuff, right?

By the way, I remember that, and when searching for the picture I found this. Not sure this is really a spoiler, and I didn't open the page to read about it, so saved the pic to post here.

Folks complaining about the supernatural stuff are pretty funny. It's like they didn't watch the first season. After it concluded we thought we had the answers but maybe we didn't.

So the police officer played by John Hawkes, father of Pete.....he's totally getting catfished by Raymond Clark, right? That explains his reaction to the missing case files on Anne Kowtok.

So the police officer played by John Hawkes, father of Pete.....he's totally getting catfished by Raymond Clark, right? That explains his reaction to the missing case files on Anne Kowtok.

Obviously getting catfished but what makes you think it's Clark? I assume there's a reason he doesn't want the old case to be dug up.

Read an article that this was written as a stand alone series, just called Night Country. But HBO thought it would be more successful if branded as True Detective. So none of the call backs to Season 1 or easter eggs were part of the original story.

Obviously getting catfished but what makes you think it's Clark? I assume there's a reason he doesn't want the old case to be dug up.

The catfishing stuff gave me a laugh. Reminded me of some FFA posters over the years asking about women they met online.....but yeah, no clue on how he made a lineage to Clark.

Cause Clark is still alive and on the move and seems to be a bad guy? I dunno, I could be wrong Shuke, it happens a lot.

Cause Clark is still alive and on the move and seems to be a bad guy? I dunno, I could be wrong Shuke, it happens a lot.

I'm not concerned about proving you wrong, and it's okay if you are. I'm asking because I'm curious and wondering if I missed something that you may have a theory on.

I'm not concerned about proving you wrong, and it's okay if you are. I'm asking because I'm curious and wondering if I missed something that you may have a theory on.

Seems to me this Clark fella had a thing for Anne Kowtok. And, it so happens, he's not in the ice-rink where all the scientists were defrosting. I *THINK* Clark was the guy who was going bonkers at the ice station saying "She's awake" so maybe he was up to something. All the cell phones were left behind (we think) so maybe they can rule Clark out as the person catfishing Pete's dad. Somebody is catfishing him and he sure seemed bothered by the case file going missing. It was odd that he went to go look for it after texting his mail order bride.

Seems to me this Clark fella had a thing for Anne Kowtok. And, it so happens, he's not in the ice-rink where all the scientists were defrosting. I *THINK* Clark was the guy who was going bonkers at the ice station saying "She's awake" so maybe he was up to something. All the cell phones were left behind (we think) so maybe they can rule Clark out as the person catfishing Pete's dad. Somebody is catfishing him and he sure seemed bothered by the case file going missing. It was odd that he went to go look for it after texting his mail order bride.
didn't consider to this point that the person on the other end of the catfish texts would be even significant in the story. it opens up some more storyline possibilties though, i like it, though i don't think it's clark. on the file thing, he was angry because there's clearly friction between he and Jody Foster's character and he knew immediately his son betrayed him.

didn't consider to this point that the person on the other end of the catfish texts would be even significant in the story. it opens up some more storyline possibilties though, i like it, though i don't think it's clark. on the file thing, he was angry because there's clearly friction between he and Jody Foster's character and he knew immediately his son betrayed him.

Out of all the characters introduced, Jody is the one I suspected of catfishing him. Seems in her character to f with people.

Out of all the characters introduced, Jody is the one I suspected of catfishing him. Seems in her character to f with people.

Or Navarro....

Maybe I'm misremembering but didn't Prior go check on the file while texting his "lady"? I'll go back and watch again, I was pretty high. Would be odd if Jody asked him to look for the file after she told the guy's son to steal it.

Or Navarro....

Maybe I'm misremembering but didn't Prior go check on the file while texting his "lady"? I'll go back and watch again, I was pretty high. Would be odd if Jody asked him to look for the file after she told the guy's son to steal it.

I was trying to think of a character with a drug addiction or one who needed money so it could be Navarro. Sure her sister isn't cheap.

Jody is still going 1.1 in my draft. Maybe she wants to stir the pot and agitate him for whatever reason. Clark is a late round flier for me.

Slight vibes of Silence of the Lambs. Slight. Like picking up a hint of nutmeg in a recipe.

Clark is defrosting then disappears.

Jody takes pictures of the dead scientists with a camera similar to the one in SOTL.

It's cold. Very cold.

The way Jody drills the young cop. Very Hannibal Lector-y.

She asked for pictures, and that's what he was looking for when he noticed the box was gone

She asked for pictures, and that's what he was looking for when he noticed the box was gone

Oh. I should probably rewatch before saying more.

Slight vibes of Silence of the Lambs. Slight. Like picking up a hint of nutmeg in a recipe.

Jody takes pictures of the dead scientists with a camera similar to the one in SOTL.

It's cold. Very cold.

I was getting heavy LOST vibes - polar bears, isolated research labs, sci-fi stuffs, etc.

It's cold. Very cold.

I was getting heavy LOST vibes - polar bears, isolated research labs, sci-fi stuffs, etc.

Neat. Lost lost me after 2 seasons with that ish.

I really don't feel like watching it again, but is there a dude from the corpsicle that was actually alive and now in a hospital? There was like 2 minutes where they broke off an arm and then one of the frozen dudes started yelling, cut to Jodie Foster on the phone with a doctor about someone in a coma. After that I don't think it was mentioned again.

I really don't feel like watching it again, but is there a dude from the corpsicle that was actually alive and now in a hospital? There was like 2 minutes where they broke off an arm and then one of the frozen dudes started yelling, cut to Jodie Foster on the phone with a doctor about someone in a coma. After that I don't think it was mentioned again.
yes and based on some interweb synopsis i read today he is the main topic of the next episode.

I've never seen this show before, but the buzz around S4 got me to go back and watch S1. Damn, that was good.

I know everybody says there's a drop-off in quality after the first season, but what are we talking about here? Season 4 of The Sopranos? That would be fine. Or are we talking about GOT Season 8?

I've never seen this show before, but the buzz around S4 got me to go back and watch S1. Damn, that was good.

I know everybody says there's a drop-off in quality after the first season, but what are we talking about here? Season 4 of The Sopranos? That would be fine. Or are we talking about GOT Season 8?
I sort of liked S2 but I think most people would say it was unwatchable.

S1 is the crown jewel but I'm really enjoying S4 thus far. The best thing about it is it's an anthology so you can skip around. Season 1 and Season 4 have some similarities and Easter eggs so that would make a interesting bridge.

I'm rewatching S2 now - about 2/3 of the way through S2. Vince Vaughn was just incredibly miscast, to the point of distraction. The acting in general is very inconsistent as well.

Colin Farrell is excellent but the rest of the cast is questionable. Maybe it's the directing, maybe it's the dialogue, I don't know. There are a couple scenes (involving Colin Farrell) which were lights out but it doesn't come close to S1.

I liked S3 quite a bit but again not in the same sphere as S1. I'm liking S4 so far. It doesn't get much better than Jodi Foster and frankly they'd have to really screw up the story to get me to stop watching.

Same - just watched for the first time recently. Skipped S2 based on what I had heard, but honestly thought S3 was a better story than S1 for the most part. Haven't started S4 yet.

I'm rewatching S2 now - about 2/3 of the way through S2. Vince Vaughn was just incredibly miscast, to the point of distraction. The acting in general is very inconsistent as well.

Colin Farrell is excellent but the rest of the cast is questionable. Maybe it's the directing, maybe it's the dialogue, I don't know. There are a couple scenes (involving Colin Farrell) which were lights out but it doesn't come close to S1.

I liked S3 quite a bit but again not in the same sphere as S1. I'm liking S4 so far. It doesn't get much better than Jodi Foster and frankly they'd have to really screw up the story to get me to stop watching.
Yeah I’m a big Colin Farrell fan so I think he’s what really kept me interested. Vaughan is awful and like you said should never have been given that role.

Also, S4 has the best theme song imo. Season 3's was a really good song, just not haunting enough for this series imo.

Users who are viewing this thread