What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Mock Draft (4 Viewers)

I'm sure Rodgers will Love that pick
I understand, it will take some stones to do this, but at the end of the day you need to do what's right for the organization, and at his advanced age and his now injury history there is an opportunity to have a succession plan in place. Will this happen, doubtful, but hey its the Jets so you never know!

The Indianapolis Colts select:

1.15- Dallas Turner, OLB/EDGE, Alabama

I was between 2 players here. I am going with upside at this spot. I thought about addressing corner, but prefer the colts select best player on their board, not team need. Ideally, I would have traded back some slots and taken CB. We resigned Grover Stewart so interior is not as big of a need. I think we need better edge rushing regardless of the fact last year we had a great year for getting to the QB. Interior now has Buckner and Stewart. We really took strides last year so wanting to keep that momentum going forward.
I think it is too early to take an offensive weapon here since the top 4 are off the board.

Colts fans, or others, let me know what you think!

Last edited:
I understand, it will take some stones to do this, but at the end of the day you need to do what's right for the organization, and at his advanced age and his now injury history there is an opportunity to have a succession plan in place. Will this happen, doubtful, but hey its the Jets so you never know!
This is akin to Tampa selecting Kyle Trask in Brady's win now window after the Super Bowl. Creed Humphrey was the pick right before. It would have been very easy for them to move up to secure him or taken just about anyone else instead of wasting the pick on a player who isn't going to help you in the short term, or ever apparently.

There's no reason to make that deal for Rodgers if you're going to waste picks on "the future." Just my opinion.

Time will tell. Penix is in the conversation for 4th or 5th best QB of a good QB draft. But he's a HR or strikeout candidate.

lol, just wow. good job guys. i have no idea how far penix and nix will fall but this would be just crazy good for my dallas pick if it happens.
I think it was @Grahamburn in another thread predicting all 6 qbs to bust, and he gave realistic reasons. i want caleb to win in chicago, which is weird cuz i'm a ucla guy. it's just all the stupid shade thrown at him making me hope he rises above. if the other five bust? ok by me. i believe some of them will for exactly the reasons graham stated. mostly they're going to terrible situations. we get a little too hyped for rookies this time of year. the nfl is a tough workplace.

believing that, i have to add that i had the pac12 network last season, and saw those 3 qbs alot. all season i felt like i was watching 3 franchise qbs. so for me it has to be maye, jj, and daniels who bust. they are likely headed to the worst situations. but, but, i am buying into the jj hype and became a big daniels believer. /qbramble

lol, just wow. good job guys. i have no idea how far penix and nix will fall but this would be just crazy good for my dallas pick if it happens.
I think it was @Grahamburn in another thread predicting all 6 qbs to bust, and he gave realistic reasons. i want caleb to win in chicago, which is weird cuz i'm a ucla guy. it's just all the stupid shade thrown at him making me hope he rises above. if the other five bust? ok by me. i believe some of them will for exactly the reasons graham stated. mostly they're going to terrible situations. we get a little too hyped for rookies this time of year. the nfl is a tough workplace.

believing that, i have to add that i had the pac12 network last season, and saw those 3 qbs alot. all season i felt like i was watching 3 franchise qbs. so for me it has to be maye, jj, and daniels who bust. they are likely headed to the worst situations. but, but, i am buying into the jj hype and became a big daniels believer. /qbramble
I think Williams is probably talented enough, and the Bears are certainly also acquiring talent as well around him, to supersede their history of failure at developing a QB. But, that history is awful, and that's typically a tough place to play QB. Outside of him I think whoever ends up in Denver with Payton or Minnesota with O'Connell will be in good spots.

These guys just bust at such a high rate. There are only so many teams and only some many of those are good spots for QBs to develop. Then when you factor in the short window of time where you need to be successful you have got to basically be great right out of the gate or it's on to the next guy.

This is akin to Tampa selecting Kyle Trask in Brady's win now window after the Super Bowl. Creed Humphrey was the pick right before. It would have been very easy for them to move up to secure him or taken just about anyone else instead of wasting the pick on a player who isn't going to help you in the short term, or ever apparently.

There's no reason to make that deal for Rodgers if you're going to waste picks on "the future." Just my opinion.
IMO Penix is a much better prospect than Trask and Brady is far better than Rodgers. Plus, Rodgers, as a person, is a distraction and isn't nearly as popular as Brady which will contribute to making it relatively easy for the Jets to move on from Rodgers after this year. Aside from maybe a few die hard fans who want to win now at all costs, most people in NYC won't be sad to see him go. The Jets owe him nothing, and in fact so far he's cost the team a lot more than he's added. If he's that much of a snowflake where he can't be a professional in this case, then that only makes it easier to move on from him. The Jets basically let Rodgers be the GM last year and it was terrible. I don't think they need to consider his feelings with any of their moves.

If all goes as planned with Rodgers for the short term, the Jets won't be in position to get a QB as good as Penix when Rodgers leaves. As I said in the Jets thread, there's still a good team around the QB so it would be a shame to ruin it by not having a long term QB plan in place. I love this pick. I doubt Penix would get out of the top 20 so the Jets wouldn't have been able to move to up to get him without giving up next year's 1st.

I agree with this, however, this was my thought process:

Supposedly this is a very deep draft at Oline and WR, this is definitely a win now team, but they also have some great young offensive talent to build into the future with. There is something admirable about a team that has a QB in place and a legit guy in the pipeline, the Jets never ever do this. If they don't rebuild this o-line in the offseason and don't acquire the extra high 3rd rounder moving down, I think they grab o-line here and play it safe for sure. It's a dice roll, but it is something winning organizations try do do. Drafting an OL here is also drafting someone who will not immediately play, they are also just a backup in case an OL starter goes down, so you have a backup OL sit and learning or a backup QB sit and learning, I went with the backup QB learning who to me has some very strong traits that are very enticing and someone who could learn from an all time great. The risk was moving out of 10 and not getting Bowers, I happen to think Conklin and Ruckert are a pretty good combo at the moment. I've seen a lot of mocks where it is Bowers or O-Line, if Odunze is there I don't move, but thought this would be a fun time to mix it up a bit to see what they can land with two high picks in RD3.

To stir the pot a bit, I did offer the Jets drafter bowers and a sixth for 1.13 and their third rounder.

Figured he may want to keep Rodgers happy. Got turned down.

Supposedly this is a very deep draft at Oline and WR, this is definitely a win now team, but they also have some great young offensive talent to build into the future with. There is something admirable about a team that has a QB in place and a legit guy in the pipeline, the Jets never ever do this. If they don't rebuild this o-line in the offseason and don't acquire the extra high 3rd rounder moving down, I think they grab o-line here and play it safe for sure. It's a dice roll, but it is something winning organizations try do do. Drafting an OL here is also drafting someone who will not immediately play, they are also just a backup in case an OL starter goes down, so you have a backup OL sit and learning or a backup QB sit and learning, I went with the backup QB learning who to me has some very strong traits that are very enticing and someone who could learn from an all time great. The risk was moving out of 10 and not getting Bowers, I happen to think Conklin and Ruckert are a pretty good combo at the moment. I've seen a lot of mocks where it is Bowers or O-Line, if Odunze is there I don't move, but thought this would be a fun time to mix it up a bit to see what they can land with two high picks in RD3.
I can get behind your reasoning, but I don't think it's a realistic scenario. They have one more year with Rodgers. Maybe two? Tops. Every asset should be going toward winning a championship in that window. If not? What was the point? Figure out your QBotF later. Hell, they've been trying to figure that puzzle out for how long? They can't wait another couple years?

This is also a really deep QB class. I honestly really like Spencer Rattler better than Nix/Penix and think he can be had in the late 3rd or early 4th.

To stir the pot a bit, I did offer the Jets drafter bowers and a sixth for 1.13 and their third rounder.

That offense was brutal. I don't see how you aren't drafting someone who can immediately help with blocking or catching the ball on offense.

I can get behind your reasoning, but I don't think it's a realistic scenario. They have one more year with Rodgers. Maybe two? Tops. Every asset should be going toward winning a championship in that window. If not? What was the point? Figure out your QBotF later. Hell, they've been trying to figure that puzzle out for how long? They can't wait another couple years?

This is also a really deep QB class. I honestly really like Spencer Rattler better than Nix/Penix and think he can be had in the late 3rd or early 4th.
I agree completely, Penix is just a guy that really intrigues me a lot, this offseason complete re-tool of the o-line and the addition of WR Mike Williams along with this extra pick in the early 3rd allowed me to gamble a bit and try to set this franchise up for "possible" long term success. As Jets fans we were as excited as anything to come into the season last year with hopes at all time highs then to see it all come crashing down to the reality of Zach Wilson starting again was cruel an unusual. You simply have to try and have a guy ready to go, GB is the model they are in great shape now and they had a win now window as well with Rodgers. Wash drafted RGIII and then also Cousins seemed crazy at the time, but it was the Cousins pick that stuck. If you like a guy you gotta do it. Rodgers can walk at anytime and then this team goes back to square one with retreads and dart throws. I was just trying for a new novel approach for the Jets, an actual succession plan at QB. lol

IMO Penix is a much better prospect than Trask and Brady is far better than Rodgers. Plus, Rodgers, as a person, is a distraction and isn't nearly as popular as Brady which will contribute to making it relatively easy for the Jets to move on from Rodgers after this year. Aside from maybe a few die hard fans who want to win now at all costs, most people in NYC won't be sad to see him go. The Jets owe him nothing, and in fact so far he's cost the team a lot more than he's added. If he's that much of a snowflake where he can't be a professional in this case, then that only makes it easier to move on from him. The Jets basically let Rodgers be the GM last year and it was terrible. I don't think they need to consider his feelings with any of their moves.

If all goes as planned with Rodgers for the short term, the Jets won't be in position to get a QB as good as Penix when Rodgers leaves. As I said in the Jets thread, there's still a good team around the QB so it would be a shame to ruin it by not having a long term QB plan in place. I love this pick. I doubt Penix would get out of the top 20 so the Jets wouldn't have been able to move to up to get him without giving up next year's 1st.
Just using Trask as an example. When Tampa won the Super Bowl they had incredible luck with injuries. The following year was not so lucky, and they could have used some help in the secondary, the offensive line, and/or at WR. That Trask pick was a waste, and honestly think it may have cost the Bucs back to back titles. Granted, I'm cherry picking with hindsight, and you don't know who'll get hurt. But, if Tom got hurt Trask wasn't even his backup. It was just a stupid pick.

I think you did the right thing. I'm a bit busy atm, but if there's a player in the draft I want to pimp here, it's Bowers. I'll have time later to explain.

I agree completely, Penix is just a guy that really intrigues me a lot, this offseason complete re-tool of the o-line and the addition of WR Mike Williams along with this extra pick in the early 3rd allowed me to gamble a bit and try to set this franchise up for "possible" long term success. As Jets fans we were as excited as anything to come into the season last year with hopes at all time highs then to see it all come crashing down to the reality of Zach Wilson starting again was cruel an unusual. You simply have to try and have a guy ready to go, GB is the model they are in great shape now and they had a win now window as well with Rodgers. Wash drafted RGIII and then also Cousins seemed crazy at the time, but it was the Cousins pick that stuck. If you like a guy you gotta do it. Rodgers can walk at anytime and then this team goes back to square one with retreads and dart throws. I was just trying for a new novel approach for the Jets, an actual succession plan at QB. lol
My rebuttal to that would be that GB could have had Rodgers AND an incredible position player to help that team win while he was still there. Yeah, having Love is great NOW, but the Packers will never get those years back with Rodgers, and they did not win another championship. That 2020 draft was an all time great draft with a bunch of incredible players picked after Love.

Here's a link:

Everyone thinks the Packers are so brilliant for doing this, but what if in reality it cost them a championship or two? You think Rodgers couldn't have used Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, Jonathan Taylor? Hell, get really crazy and move up for Justin Jefferson or Brandon Aiyuk instead of a QB that's going to sit for 3 years. God that was an awesome draft.

I think you did the right thing. I'm a bit busy atm, but if there's a player in the draft I want to pimp here, it's Bowers. I'll have time later to explain.
Definitely no regrets, here, as I think Bowers is easily a top ten talent and I got him at 11. My thought for the Chargers though is that they also would fill needs with either Turner or Fashanu so, value-wise (especially after the Dissly signing), flipping Bowers into either Turner or Fashanu - either of whom I could have justified at 1.11 - and adding a third rounder to add another valuable dart to my arsenal, was worth it. Nonetheless, I'm plenty happy it was turned down and Herbert has two (arguably three) young elite passing catching prospects on rookie contracts.

There are several players here that I could go with, primarily in the trenches on ether side.

Seattle is decidedly short on interior line, and while we love Abe Lucas, his knee may prevent him from being a long-term solution. That said, the strength of this draft is interior line, especially in the later rounds, so I think we could fill some slots day 2 and 3.

There are three potential defensive players I like here. My preference would be to trade down and get another day 2 pick or two in the sweet spot areas, but since nothing materialized, I will stick and pick:

1.16 Seattle Seahawks – DE Jared Verse, FSU

He has the size and wingspan to play multiple spots at DE/Edge, depending on how Mike Macdonald lays out the defense. He’s shown abilities to still be elite even when regularly doubled, and I believe he has the potential to be the game wrecker that this defense hasn’t had in years.

My rebuttal to that would be that GB could have had Rodgers AND an incredible position player to help that team win while he was still there. Yeah, having Love is great NOW, but the Packers will never get those years back with Rodgers, and they did not win another championship. That 2020 draft was an all time great draft with a bunch of incredible players picked after Love.

Here's a link:

Everyone thinks the Packers are so brilliant for doing this, but what if in reality it cost them a championship or two? You think Rodgers couldn't have used Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, Jonathan Taylor? Hell, get really crazy and move up for Justin Jefferson or Brandon Aiyuk instead of a QB that's going to sit for 3 years. God that was an awesome draft.
Yep, it may have cost them for sure, but now they are set up for a 12-15 year run of Love. It's nice to be relevant year to year, (the Jets have been miserable for 14 years in a row now) but now GB should be in great shape but yeah it may have cost them a ring. But I get it, but you gotta hit on that pick that you skipped the QB for that is the key.

It's a fun exercise, for sure, I don't mind taking the body blows for this questionable pick, because it would make things very interesting for the franchise. But I do think they set themselves up for an interesting first round because they were able to salvage that Rodgers pick from being a 1st rounder and they had a nice off season so far so just having a thought exercise to see if they would try and set up the position with two early 3rd rounders now to address OL/WR.

Round 1​

1) Chicago Bears (from Carolina) - QB. Caleb Williams, USC
2) Washington Commanders - QB Drake Maye, UNC
3) New England Patriots - QB Jayden Daniels, LSU
4) Arizona Cardinals - Marvin Harrison WR Ohio State
5) Minnesota Vikings (via Los Angeles Chargers) - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan
6) New York Giants - WR. Malik Nabers, LSU
7) Tennessee Titans - LT. Joe Alt, ND
8) Atlanta Falcons - Cooper DeJean, CB Iowa
9) Los Angeles Chargers (via Chicago Bears) - WR Rome Odunze
10) Las Vegas Raiders (via New York Jets) - Taliese Fuaga, OT - Oregon State
11) Los Angeles Chargers (via Minnesota Vikings) - TE Brock Bowers
12) Denver Broncos - QB, Bo Nix
13) New York Jets (via Las Vegas Raiders) - QB: Michael Penix Jr. Washington
14) New Orleans Saints - Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State
15) Indianapolis Colts - Dallas Turner, OLB/EDGE, Alabama
16) Seattle Seahawks - DE Jared Verse, FSU
17) Jacksonville Jaguars - CB Quinyon Mitchell Toledo
18) Cincinnati Bengals - Jer'Zhan Newton - DT - Illinois
19) Los Angeles Rams
20) Pittsburgh Steelers
21) Miami Dolphins
22) Philadelphia Eagles

Last edited:
Fuaga writeup coming soon, fellas. On west coast time and need to find a mid-morning window...
in hindsight do you still believe you had to trade up 3 spots to get him?

With the Jets and Chargers picking ahead of me, no way I was taking the chance. This dude is a DUDE, and my #1 target in this draft for the Raiders, based on where they are picking, now that McCarthy is clearly out of reach. I made my move for McCarthy earlier in this mock, but the trade was rejected. This trade for Fuaga, and the one I offered for McCarthy were both set up with the trade value chart to be as even as possible - I wasn't going to overpay for either player, but was content to pay fair trade up pricing to secure one or the other.

I understand why you did it, but if the Bears trade 9 with Turner and Odunze still on the board, I'll throw up.
I tend to agree but I'm enjoying this exercise. In my head a trade down would be 4-6 spots and grab an edge and extra third, which didn't change which prospects would be there in the 70s.

Having 23 and 37 opens up a ton of potential options for IOL DL and WRs.

Fuaga writeup coming soon, fellas. On west coast time and need to find a mid-morning window...
in hindsight do you still believe you had to trade up 3 spots to get him?

With the Jets and Chargers picking ahead of me, no way I was taking the chance. This dude is a DUDE, and my #1 target in this draft for the Raiders, based on where they are picking, now that McCarthy is clearly out of reach. I made my move for McCarthy earlier in this mock, but the trade was rejected. This trade for Fuaga, and the one I offered for McCarthy were both set up with the trade value chart to be as even as possible - I wasn't going to overpay for either player, but was content to pay fair trade up pricing to secure one or the other.
well the important thing is you got who you wanted , and didnt over pay. God knows the OLINE needs to be addressed

With the 10th pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, the Las Vegas Raiders select

1.10 Taliese Fuaga, OT - Oregon State
Why Fuaga over Latham and Fashanu? Their rankings are close. Is he more day 1 ready than the others?

Sorry I couldn't post this earlier with the pick, but it was ~4 am local time and all I had time for was to make the selection to keep this draft moving. Anyway, I just edited that post upthread with the following rationale for the Raiders 1.10 Taliese Fuaga trade-up and selection:

I've read up on all of the top OL in a class that is clearly quite deep, and two guys in particular stand out to me as not just day-one plug-in quality starters, but also (given health), with great potential to become all-pro types at some point in their careers, even very early on, like by the end of their rookie seasons: Joe Alt and Taliese Fuaga.

There are others too, with perhaps similar upside, but none with corresponding super-high floors and/or well-rounded elite pass/run blocking of these two IMO. And others with decent floors, but not nearly the upside. To me, the only thing I would struggle with in placing Fuaga with the elite of the elite prospects would be if my team needed him to play LT, instead of RT. He hasn't done it on the left (yet), and while his pass pro was very solid in college, he may not be ready to protect the blindside on day 1; or ever even, if he has peaked already in terms of his pass-blocking development. Fortunately for the Raiders, they already have a stud LT, who is still early in the prime of his career.

Was it worth trading up three spots and sacrificing a 3rd rounder (getting back a 6th) to do it? Firstly, this guy is an absolute BEAST in terms of run-blocking and physicality - the clear and distant #1 of this OT class in terms of those two aspects. He is not only mean and nasty on the field, but is also a confident alpha leader personality. He is exactly the type of guy Harbaugh and Saleh, and most importantly, Pierce, covet as cornerstone, tone-setting players within the heart of their teams along the OL/DL. As I look at 3rd round vs. 6th round players in this draft, I'd gladly give up that delta in order to make sure the Raiders get Fuaga and perhaps almost as importantly, the Chargers do not.

Time will tell. Penix is in the conversation for 4th or 5th best QB of a good QB draft. But he's a HR or strikeout candidate.
But will teams invest that Draft Capital on Penix when his injury history is a major red flag?
I think there reason for caution.

But will teams invest that Draft Capital on Penix when his injury history is a major red flag?
I think there reason for caution.

I like Penix's developmental upside, especially if he can re-learn to use his mobility more, without getting hurt again doing so. I am still too shell-shocked by his meltdown in the Natty Title game when facing the type of pressure he will see against better NFL defenses to have risked drafting him ahead of true blue-chips at other high-value positions (OT, DT, Ed, CB, WR).

That said, if he had fallen to the last few picks of Rd 1, I would have made a play to trade up for him from 2.12 - IF one of those latter teams was willing to move down using a fair deal and not some sort of one-sided overpay.

A plethora of options here at 18 for the Bengals as things have shaken out positively for them. Could go with about 5 or so players here.

But I digress...

With the 18th Pick of the 2024 FBG Mock Draft the Cincinnati Bengals proudly select....

Jer'Zhan Newton - DT - ILLINOIS FIGHTING ILLINI :excited:

Good scheme fit and definitely a need. Will try and flesh this out more later but the depth in this draft at this position makes it the way to go.

Not merely an Illini homer pick by me. Though it kinda is. Very much could be our next Geno Atkins.

-QG

Is Byron Murphy II still on the board? I thought he`d have been taken by now

Yup. I've seen him as high as 10. When I first started caring about this draft, I really wanted him for Dallas but hadn't watched him much. He was the consensus best DT. Now it's become a debate between him and Newton, and I have spent time watching them. My desire for Dallas is run d. That's where Newton excels. Murphy very much reminds of a current Cowboy - Odighizuwa. He's really good pressuring QBs and making plays all over the field, but not an up the middle run stuffer. Some team is going to love him, but I think he's a little overrated. For a team addressing its run d, Newton. A team seeking a better pass rush, Murphy. Murphy is no Aaron Donald, nobody is, and that includes every DT to ever play the game; but Murphy is the best choice to address that spot in LA, imo.

Last edited:
@mphtrilogy Did you consider taking Nix at 10? Do you have Penix ranked ahead of Nix?
No, I had Penix higher but the Oak trade offer set things in motion. If I was to stick
And pick at 10 it was was Odunze (who was gone) then probably Fuaga. When I dropped to 13 I was happy with the 4 players I was going to be left with (Olu and BB) RC94 messaged and suggested Penix and I ran with it as a what the heck thought exercise having an additional high pick in rd3 made me take the risk to see how it develops. I know the Jets would like to develop a QB but probably no earlier than a 4th rounder, but maybe we can develop a 3rd round OT and let the QB percolate. This almost assuredly will.not happen but I don’t think it blew up the draft too bad as Oak could take Penix at 13 and Jets could take Fuaga at 10, so really kind of a fun what if rather the the usual top OT mock.

Users who are viewing this thread