What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Rashee Rice, KC (1 Viewer)

ETA the counter of we expect every young millionaire to drive the speed limit with their Lamborghini doesn't seem reasonable
This is why every young athlete should have a handler. They’re simply not equipped to do sensible things right out of college and into that level of wealth.
Rive makes like 1.7 million a year before taxes, his agent, union dues, etc. How much is he paying a handler and what if he doesn’t want to do what the handler tells him? Or is KC paying for all their young players to have a handler?

He will release a statement saying his interpreter was driving and this will go away.
Right? Gambling and hit and run car accidents are so similar
The similarity is what appears to be a lack of accountability from the players involved. My point is nothing to do with the severity of the actions.
He’s what 22 or 23? I think the meaningful piece of data here is young male, not his profession.

I think the meaningful piece of info is that he was racing his car. His age, profession and wealth have little else to do with it.

The individual is the issue, not the demographic he represents.

I have a hard time believing this isn't more common and we simply don't hear about it because it's hush hush.
You grow up, buy a super fancy sports car, and race- that sure wasn't my story but for the lucky few, I bet that's common.
ETA the counter of we expect every young millionaire to drive the speed limit with their Lamborghini doesn't seem reasonable
Back when I was younger, my buddy let me drive his souped-up mustang in a large empty parking lot. I almost lost control in a very open environment. I learned about what type of car is too much for me. I'm a good driver, but those things are different animals. I can't imagine just taking a sports car out on the freeway and letting it rip. At least not without a lot of practice first.

It is easier if you are loaded enough to just buy a new one if you **** things up

I think the meaningful piece of info is that he was racing his car. His age, profession and wealth have little else to do with it.

Statistically young males are far more likely to engage in those types of risky behaviors. Now he will have the consequences- it doesn’t absolve him.

This is why every young athlete should have a handler. They’re simply not equipped to do sensible things right out of college and into that level of wealth.
Rive makes like 1.7 million a year before taxes, his agent, union dues, etc. How much is he paying a handler and what if he doesn’t want to do what the handler tells him? Or is KC paying for all their young players to have a handler?
All above my pay grade. I’m just tired of reading about young receivers doing stupid stuff in expensive cars. :shrug:

Admittedly not my best idea ever - I just don’t know what else would help.

I mean, big picture most people his age don’t have his wealth, so they can’t afford a lambo or corvette (not sure which he was driving) so it’s actually pretty relevant

Not a lot of dudes out there racing Kia Rio LX’s. :shrug:

I mean, big picture most people his age don’t have his wealth, so they can’t afford a lambo or corvette (not sure which he was driving) so it’s actually pretty relevant

I got my old Honda Accord over 100 a few times

Some more details here: https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/l...sion/287-d3c39c05-b11e-4107-8c4f-87e4d12319a0

Best news for Rice so far is that all the reported injuries are minor.

I'm not sure why the severity of injuries should have an impact of how "good" this news is for Rice, if someone died that's a different question but that's the only situation where the results of actions should impact on the consequences of said actions.
What do you think the NFL do against Rice, if anything?

Some more details here: https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/l...sion/287-d3c39c05-b11e-4107-8c4f-87e4d12319a0

I'm not sure why the severity of injuries should have an impact of how "good" this news is for Rice, if someone died that's a different question but that's the only situation where the results of actions should impact on the consequences of said actions.
What do you think the NFL do against Rice?
I have no idea as to what the NFL does in this sort of spot, I'm more talking in terms of the general criminal justice process

I have no idea as to what the NFL does in this sort of spot, I'm more talking in terms of the general criminal justice process
One generally follows the other doesn't it?

Commissioner's exempt list?

For one the penalties associated with fleeing the scene of an accident or a hit and run is tied into the severity of the injuries. In his case it could mean the difference between second and a third degree felony. (if he was involved)

Secondly a serious injury would have resulted in more negative public perception. If you don't think the NFL bases their suspensions on public perception I will have to kindly agree to disagree.

One generally follows the other doesn't it?
Maybe. I'm not knowledgeable on the myriad of laws the US and its constituent states have, nor how the NFL handles these sorts of spots, particularly given the latter seems to change rules in relation to player discipline as often as they change rules about how kickoffs work. I am somewhat aware of how we would handle this thing over in the UK (specifically England and Wales to be pedantic), which would not be concerned about the outcomes of the injuries except in the precise situation where someone is killed

So he hasn’t turned himself in and the Chiefs haven’t made a statement in the 18 hours since this happened? 🤔

Why would you run if you weren’t high or drunk? You wouldn’t.
Yep. That’s my gut take as well.

Not like they can’t ID you from the vehicles. And if they try to say they weren’t in them, they’re gonna find out real quick about the surveillance state - there’s cameras everywhere. They’ll be ID’d. Running is the dumbest thing ever.

I got my old Honda Accord over 100 a few times
On the highway one time I took my Honda Prelude from 70 to 110 MPH. It was late and one else was around. When I went to brake it was a different experience at 110 MPH. First and only time I drove over 100.

So he hasn’t turned himself in and the Chiefs haven’t made a statement in the 18 hours since this happened? 🤔

Not like they can’t ID you from the vehicles. And if they try to say they weren’t in them, they’re gonna find out real quick about the surveillance state - there’s cameras everywhere. They’ll be ID’d. Running is the dumbest thing ever.
For sure but also sometimes people just make dumb decisions in the moment (like drag racing the first place). Even if he had been drinking, he could easily turn himself in now. He would no longer be impaired.

If you are drunk and wait 24 hrs to turn yourself in you are no longer drunk. Would think that fleeing the scene would be better than DUI.

Which is more serious, staying and getting a DUI, if he was drinking and driving, or flee the scene. I would think the latter, regardless whether someone was injured.

If you are drunk and wait 24 hrs to turn yourself in you are no longer drunk. Would think that fleeing the scene would be better than DUI.
I think that’s part of why fleeing is a felony. That offsets the lack of DUI charges.

I would think fleeing is more serious.

Which is more serious, staying and getting a DUI, if he was drinking and driving, or flee the scene. I would think the latter, regardless whether someone was injured.
I think they’re about equal - DUI/DWI/possession probably has license-related ramifications, but like I said in the post above, they make fleeing the scene a felony partly for that reason.

I think that’s part of why fleeing is a felony. That offsets the lack of DUI charges.
Yep kind of like refusing to take a breathalyzer in Michigan results in automatically losing your license.

His best defense is to hope he maybe suffered enough of an "injury" that he can claim he was concussed, wasn't thinking clearly and wasn't fully aware of what was going on. Fled out of confusion and then lost consciousness at his home.

His best defense is to hope he maybe suffered enough of an "injury" that he can claim he was concussed, wasn't thinking clearly and wasn't fully aware of what was going on. Fled out of confusion and then lost consciousness at his home.
Isn’t that kind of like, “Sir, you killed the man, his, wife, her mother, and the family dog. What do you have to say for yourself?”. “ I was cleaning my gun when it suddenly went off.”.

Isn’t that kind of like, “Sir, you killed the man, his, wife, her mother, and the family dog. What do you have to say for yourself?”. “ I was cleaning my gun when it suddenly went off.”.
It's the only defense he really has for fleeing the scene. If his lawyer can get him a doctor who will examine him and say that he suffered a head injury during the crash and that a head injury like that could result in someone being confused following the accident and unable to be fully responsible for their decision to flee.

It's the only defense he really has for fleeing the scene. If his lawyer can get him a doctor who will examine him and say that he suffered a head injury during the crash and that a head injury like that could result in someone being confused following the accident and unable to be fully responsible for their decision to flee.
That would be total BS. Just my opinion. You don’t get off scott free with that defense.

My guess is he was drinking and fled to avoid a DUI, not thinking that is worse. If he was drinking and driving they will find the truth. It will come out. If he wasn’t drinking, he still fled. Also bad.

That would be total BS. Just my opinion. You don’t get off scott free with that defense.
Certainly not scott free but may reduce sentencing if the claim is presented in a credible way

Certainly not scott free but may reduce sentencing if the claim is presented in a credible way
Not if he was drinking and they can prove it, and I think they will one way or the other. I don’t think it would anyway. That’s a hokey defense.

I think they’re about equal - DUI/DWI/possession probably has license-related ramifications, but like I said in the post above, they make fleeing the scene a felony partly for that reason.
Just want to part out that fleeing the scene of an accident in Texas is only a felony if someone died or got hurt, otherwise it's a misdemeanor.

In his case the injuries involved would likely make it rise to a felony charge, though I'm not sure if he knew that when he or whoever was driving fleed.

Not if he was drinking and they can prove it, and I think they will one way or the other. I don’t think it would anyway.
Well yeah, it he was drinking then that's going to be a big problem for him. Won't be hard to prove or disprove. Pretty sure I read he was at a bowling alley before this. Will be pretty easy to find out what he had ordered while there.

Not if he was drinking and they can prove it, and I think they will one way or the other. I don’t think it would anyway.
Well yeah, it he was drinking then that's going to be a big problem for him. Won't be hard to prove or disprove. Pretty sure I read he was at a bowling alley before this. Will be pretty easy to find out what he had ordered while there.
The ole’ I was out of my mind defense is weak at best.

From the film they showed it is almost impossible to tell who the driver was. Three guys piled out of the passenger side, first guy out was obviously the front passenger, but you can't tell whether the driver or the guy in the back seat exited next.

From the film they showed it is almost impossible to tell who the driver was. Three guys piled out of the passenger side, first guy out was obviously the front passenger, but you can't tell whether the driver or the guy in the back seat exited next.
I’m sure there are cameras all over town at every traffic light that will identify the driver.

So who's gonna take the fall for him....

Users who are viewing this thread