What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Blake Corum, LAR (1 Viewer)

And yet averaged 5.5 ypc.
He played behind pretty much the best offensive line in football his entire career. Last year he was 20th percentile in yards per carry.
You ever watch a Michigan game? How are offensive lines ranked? Don’t get me wrong. Michigan has had a very good offensive line. But the abilities of BlakeDonovan Edwards and JJ play into that ranking. His YPC has gone down in each of his last two years. Partly because his number of carries has gone up and partly because his short yardage use has gone up and partly because he was recovering from a major knee injury.

But he still was pretty dang good. 75% of his carries from inside the three resulted in TDs. 45% from inside the 10. That success rate is amazing. 11, 18 and 27. Those are pretty key numbers for any RB.

First, the size. Corum is short. No doubt. He is 5’8”. But he is also 214. Compare his BMI to some other great backs like Barry Sanders and Curtis Martin. Corum tops them both.
Bro, did you just compare Corum to Sanders and Martin? C'mon. I won't touch the Sanders comp but lets check out Martin....

Martin had 10 seasons in a row of 1000+ yards rushing and 250+ receiving. In Martin's first two seasons he scored over 30TDs. Martin ran a 4.40 - 40.

When Martin's career was done he finished with 17,500 total yards. I'm going to stop here.

In actuality, Blake takes way fewer losses than Barry did. Barry was never considered a fast back, even though his 40 at the combine (4.37) would indicate he was. You rarely saw Barry run away from defenders. Same for Blake.

I appreciate what you are saying about Corum here but this statement?

If Barry was done joking defenders and just starts running in a straight line?

No one was catching him.

Let's stop comparing humans to Barry Sanders
Baloney. It's instructive to compare traits and running styles. No one is comparing overall talent and abilities.
There is this overarching problem I find where people think "comparing" and "equating" are the same thing.

"The moon is roughly spherical, like the Earth."
"DUDE did you just compare the MOON to the EARTH?!? Do you have any idea how big the Earth is?"

Let's stop comparing humans to Barry Sanders
Baloney. It's instructive to compare traits and running styles. No one is comparing overall talent and abilities.
There is this overarching problem I find where people think "comparing" and "equating" are the same thing.

"The moon is roughly spherical, like the Earth."
"DUDE did you just compare the MOON to the EARTH?!? Do you have any idea how big the Earth is?"

I understand and I get it. But he's comparing traits of an rb to an rb, not a moon to a goldilocks planet. For me there's less than a handful of goldilocks players that make the do not compare list, and Sanders is on top of the list. I'm okay with Caleb being compared to Mahomes, but until a back gets 2000 crazy, freaky yards behind a mediocre line against a tough schedule, best to leave Barry out of it. Just my opinion (and seemingly several others). Call it reverence.

As this group of backs go, I think I rank Corum #1. He does have a ridiculous jump cut, great quicks, hits the brakes like no other in this class, and uses his center of gravity and power to break more tackles than most. I like him. Seems fine catching the ball too. I don't like many of these backs this year.

A caveat with Corum, and I go back and forth with accepting it, is these dudes with great lateral agility haven't been so good at the next level. Waldman has gone to great lengths to highlight downhill runners for the nfl. In college all those ankle breaking moves look fantastic (and make me smile), but in the nfl they get swallowed. Hit the hole and get it downhill. He likes Brooks better than Corum. Meh, Brooks is a little boring. I'll take Corum. He's gonna be fun to watch. Can't say that about many of these rbs, but some will emerge, I s'pose. Situation is everything for backs these days.

It's interesting. IMO Corum does have comparable vision, jump cuts and lateral agility in tight spaces.

But Barry's acceleration and top-end speed once those cuts are made and he gets through the hole is just other-worldy. Blake not even on the same planet.

As far as evaluating RBs goes my focus used to primarily be about the RB ability to make defenders miss. Watching Barry's career a big part of that.

Then Trent Richardson happened. I had to start over from scratch. Elusiveness is not enough.

I really have shifted my focus towards RB who have acceleration and burst. I still love ellusiveness in RBs but if they don't have the juice to get downfield after making a defender miss then what's the point?

RB with good burst can still be successful without above average elusiveness.

It's interesting. IMO Corum does have comparable vision, jump cuts and lateral agility in tight spaces.

But Barry's acceleration and top-end speed once those cuts are made and he gets through the hole is just other-worldy. Blake not even on the same planet.

As far as evaluating RBs goes my focus used to primarily be about the RB ability to make defenders miss. Watching Barry's career a big part of that.

Then Trent Richardson happened. I had to start over from scratch. Elusiveness is not enough.

I really have shifted my focus towards RB who have acceleration and burst. I still love ellusiveness in RBs but if they don't have the juice to get downfield after making a defender miss then what's the point?

At the end of the day what you have in Corum is a RB who will carve out a nice NFL career, but I doubt he is ever elite.. As for fantasy, I think he will have value, but again, not elite. Perhaps a couple 1000 yard seasons with a handful of TDs is his ceiling. I'm thinking Phillip Lindsey is his floor and Ray Rice is his absolute ceiling.

At the end of the day what you have in Corum is a RB who will carve out a nice NFL career, but I doubt he is ever elite.. As for fantasy, I think he will have value, but again, not elite. Perhaps a couple 1000 yard seasons with a handful of TDs is his ceiling. I'm thinking Phillip Lindsey is his floor and Ray Rice is his absolute ceiling.
What if Corum ends up like Montgomery. A very good back who has good vision and rarely gets taken down by the first guy. He's quick to get to the hole and has a knack for finding open space. Monty does pretty good finding the endzone too. He had 13 TDs last year in a good system.

Like many RBs, the key is touches and being used to their potential. Corum, landing in the right system, could end up having a career like Monty which would be very good.

Ray Rice was awesome over a 4 year stretch. Had over 2000 total yards and 15 TDs in 2011. Broke 2000 total yards in 2009 as well. Kind of forgot that he was that good. Unreal that it's been over 10 years since the GF knockout incident.

Did you really just compare Blake Corum to Ray Rice??? Blake Corum has never punched a woman, to our knowledge. Very unfair to Blake, to make a comparison like that. (Yes I'm being cheeky.)
I believe he was referring to Ray Rice the football player, not Ray Rice the domestic abuser. But I guess you knew that, thus the being cheeky comment.

I always love watching Barry highlights so thanks for sharing.

I think people overestimate the difference between 4.4 and 4.5 speed - it’s maybe 2-3 yards.

I always love watching Barry highlights so thanks for sharing.

I think people overestimate the difference between 4.4 and 4.5 speed - it’s maybe 2-3 yards.

These are great. See how little difference there is between a 4.3 and 4.6.

I’m a Michigan fan and watch a ton of Michigan games. I agree Corum is excellent in short yardage and at the goal line. But I agree with those who say he just doesn’t have the burst. I just know that I always got excited when Edwards came into the game because I felt like he might rip off a big play. I didn’t have that same feeling with Corum.

I’m a Michigan fan and watch a ton of Michigan games. I agree Corum is excellent in short yardage and at the goal line. But I agree with those who say he just doesn’t have the burst. I just know that I always got excited when Edwards came into the game because I felt like he might rip off a big play. I didn’t have that same feeling with Corum.
That’s how I felt when Corum was backing up Haskins.

Ray Rice, Austin Ekeler, ok. Barry Sanders, no way.
Who does this play remind you of?
I am not sure who this reminds me of.

It's a nice plant and cut. I feel like he hesitates after his plant step too long and while this works I wonder how well it will work at the pro level.

It certainly doesn't remind me of Barry Sanders.

Ray Rice, Austin Ekeler, ok. Barry Sanders, no way.
Who does this play remind you of?
I am not sure who this reminds me of.

It's a nice plant and cut. I feel like he hesitates after his plant step too long and while this works I wonder how well it will work at the pro level.

It certainly doesn't remind me of Barry Sanders.
Maybe Barry Sanders if he did it at age 45.

I think he'd be hard to pass up for Harbaugh in round 3, but does he make it to round 3 is the question.

I've been thinking he's going to go higher than expected just because he's really the only RB who has proven he can handle a big workload, everyone else is seemingly a RBBC guy, where Corum has proved he can be a 20 touch a game guy.

I'm thinking round 2 is more likely than not. Maybe Dallas?

I think he'd be hard to pass up for Harbaugh in round 3, but does he make it to round 3 is the question.

I've been thinking he's going to go higher than expected just because he's really the only RB who has proven he can handle a big workload, everyone else is seemingly a RBBC guy, where Corum has proved he can be a 20 touch a game guy.

I’m not sure any of these RBs deserve to go that high. If Corum came out any of the last few years, what round would he have been selected in? Would he have gone before Charbonnet or Kendra Miller last year? (Late 2nd/early 3rd)

In 2022, James Cook was pick 63 and Rachaad White was #91. Where would he have gone relative to those guys?

Serious question, I don’t really scout college players much before the draft.

In 2022, James Cook was pick 63 and Rachaad White was #91. Where would he have gone relative to those guys?

After Cook before Rice, imo. He was better in 22 than 23.
He played through injuries in 23 and averaged 4.8 yards a carry, 1245 yards.
5.9 in 22 and 1463 yards.

There's no Bijan or Jahmyr in this draft but there's a few who grade in the Cook White range. Brooks, Corum, Benson, maybe Wright - all late 2nd 3rd rounders I think. :2cents:

I’m not sure any of these RBs deserve to go that high. If Corum came out any of the last few years, what round would he have been selected in? Would he have gone before Charbonnet or Kendra Miller last year? (Late 2nd/early 3rd)

I think Corum is a much better prospect than Cook, White, or Miller were. I think Cook and White are 3rd down RBs who are getting bigger workloads due to lack of competing talent. I think Buffalo wanted to give less work to Cook last season, but when Harris went down, they couldn't really help it, and even then they tried with Murray. I didn't like Miller at all, and I'm not sure he'd have moved ahead of Jamaal Williams even if he had stayed healthy.

I'd probably put Corum and Charbonnet on the same level. I had Achane in that area last year as well. The solid starters with a flaw tier. Corum (speed) Achane (size) Charbonnet (no standout trait)

I think we likely get 2 RBs in round 2, and then like 4-6 in round 3. I actually think this class is pretty underrated, it just doesn't have that 1 truly elite guy, well maybe it does in Brooks(I think he's elite) but he's coming off a major knee injury. I think without the knee though, Brooks would have flirted with being a 1st round pick.

At the NFL level, I see a bit faster Devin Singletary.
I am still sticking with this comp from before the season. I don't think it's particularly negative as Singletary has held down a starting job for a few years and looks primed to continue that at least one more year. But the ceiling seems pretty underwhelming IMO.

There's no Bijan or Jahmyr in this draft but there's a few who grade in the Cook White range. Brooks, Corum, Benson, maybe Wright - all late 2nd 3rd rounders I think. :2cents:
I think you are going to be surprised by this year’s class. I see 4-6 starters and while not as heralded as last year, this year is deeper.

I didn't like Miller at all
I'm surprised by this.
Why is that? He was/is a pretty flawed prospect. It kinda blew my mind he went ahead of Achane. I had Miller as a 4th rounder and Achane as a 2nd rounder last year. To a lesser extent over Spears surprised me too.

At the NFL level, I see a bit faster Devin Singletary.
I am still sticking with this comp from before the season. I don't think it's particularly negative as Singletary has held down a starting job for a few years and looks primed to continue that at least one more year. But the ceiling seems pretty underwhelming IMO.
I sort of like Corum as the player people thought CEH was gonna be. His speed is always likely going to keep him from being elite, but he's got everything else, I think.

I think you are going to be surprised by this year’s class. I see 4-6 starters and while not as heralded as last year, this year is deeper.
How do you rank your top 5 RBs in this class and do you think we see a good number going in rounds 2 or 3 of the NFL draft? I'm very curious how the draft capital goes for the RBs this year. WRs are very deep as well and that may influence how the overall draft goes for offensive players.

My top five:

Blake Corum, Michigan - Does everything well, has the best vision of any RB in years. Has proven he has the durability and talent to be a 3-down back. Has to prove himself with choice and down the field routes.

Jonathan Brooks, Texas - Would likely be #1 except for his late season injury. Only one year of production. But ultra talented with NFL size and speed.

Trey Benson, Florida State - Elite attributes but inconsistent and substandard production for his talent. Never topped 1,000 rushing yards or 160 carries (12 att/gm). Can he handle a full load?

Kamari Vidal, Troy - A smaller school player who could surprise a lot of people at the next level. He averaged over 21 att/gm last year showing his ability to be a lead back at the next level.

Marshawn Lloyd, Southern Cal - Compact runner with NFL skills. The downside is lack of usage - 12.3 att/gm is his high water mark. SEC & Pac10 experience shows he can perform against top competition.

I think all of the backs have flaws and/or questions. Every year. But I think that is true with every player who ever took the field in the NFL.

For this year, I believe Corum’s are the most insignificant. Matt Waldman’s RSP has him #2 behind Jonathan Brooks. I would agree with Matt if it weren’t for two things. One, I don’t expect Brooks to be 100% until 2025. And two, I am a Michigan fan.

Bob Harris tells me I suffer from recency bias. I am. I have watched every Michigan game over the past two seasons and most of the 2021 season. Corum is the back I have seen the most and the most recently.

Corum’s questions are straight line speed and route tree capability.

His speed is overstated. He ran essentially the same speed as Derrick Henry. His vision and lateral quickness make up for any straight line speed deficit in my opinion.

We can’t know about his route tree capabilities until we see him asked to run intermediate and long routes in preseason. We do know that he can catch and excels on the routes he was asked to run.

Oh, and if you were wondering, I covered my top 10 RB’s on a Front Office Pros podcast.

Let me know what you think! And don’t be shy - if you think I’m full of sh!t, tell me so. All I ask is that you tell me why.

My top five:

Blake Corum, Michigan - Does everything well, has the best vision of any RB in years. Has proven he has the durability and talent to be a 3-down back. Has to prove himself with choice and down the field routes.

Jonathan Brooks, Texas - Would likely be #1 except for his late season injury. Only one year of production. But ultra talented with NFL size and speed.

Trey Benson, Florida State - Elite attributes but inconsistent and substandard production for his talent. Never topped 1,000 rushing yards or 160 carries (12 att/gm). Can he handle a full load?

Kamari Vidal, Troy - A smaller school player who could surprise a lot of people at the next level. He averaged over 21 att/gm last year showing his ability to be a lead back at the next level.

Marshawn Lloyd, Southern Cal - Compact runner with NFL skills. The downside is lack of usage - 12.3 att/gm is his high water mark. SEC & Pac10 experience shows he can perform against top competition.
Appreciate this. Could be some very good RB values in the second round of Fantasy rookie drafts this year.

Users who are viewing this thread