What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Saban to Bama (1 Viewer)

ESPN Insider and former NFL Scout Jeremy Green writes the following yesterday:

Jeremy Green: I am hearing very strong that he is going from two people on his staff in Miami. I don't think Alabama has interviewed anyone for 2-weeks. He has told people it is his dream job and they would make him the highest paid coach in college football. If it is truly his dream job, I don't see how he could pass that up.

I'm not an insider, so the link above is just to the Dolphins messageboard.

I'm not sold...I am really surprised at how bad the media has been regarding this search...they will report ANYTHING, without any repurcussions.

Something should happen by mid-week either way...

ESPN Insider and former NFL Scout Jeremy Green writes the following yesterday:

Jeremy Green: I am hearing very strong that he is going from two people on his staff in Miami. I don't think Alabama has interviewed anyone for 2-weeks. He has told people it is his dream job and they would make him the highest paid coach in college football. If it is truly his dream job, I don't see how he could pass that up.

I'm not an insider, so the link above is just to the Dolphins messageboard.

I'm not sold...I am really surprised at how bad the media has been regarding this search...they will report ANYTHING, without any repurcussions.

Something should happen by mid-week either way...
2 red flags here:1 - I seriously doubt Saban would tell anyone on his staff that he was leaving while they had a game to prepare for, even if he WAS leaving....he just doesn't strike me as that type of coach.

2 - lol at Bama being his dream job

That being said, I still think he's going

If Bama is so confident on Saban, why did the trustees shoot down Jimbo Fisher to UAB (when his salary was going to be paid by boosters)?

Seems like they were scared of UAB ending up with a better coach than Bama.

He's mentioned before that Bryant was one of his biggest coaching influences and displays the Bryant trophy and bust of the Bear prominently in his office. Could be he wants to walk in those footsteps.

He's mentioned before that Bryant was one of his biggest coaching influences and displays the Bryant trophy and bust of the Bear prominently in his office. Could be he wants to walk in those footsteps.
:link:I've never heard Saban say that and I've heard him say a lot. Maybe I'm wrong though :shrug:
Sorry TF...no link. I've heard it before, not sure where, and saw the trophy and bust myself during a TV interview.I'm just speculating like everyone else.BUT...if he really wants to leave MIA and return to college, UA would be one of the best jobs he can get. Not much difference between UA and USC when Carroll arrived, ND when Weis arrived, or Florida when Meyer arrived.

I still don't think its going to happen but would LOVE to be dead wrong about it.
Hey Corp - Do you follow the situation on any messageboards? If so, do you go to TI, BOL, or BamaMag?
TiderInsider. And that's why I try not to put much stock in what they say since it is HomerLand. But when you post things from other sources (Miami press, PFT) it makes me start getting my hopes up. I'm trying not to get disappointed a la Coach Rod, which I really did think was a done deal.

I still don't think its going to happen but would LOVE to be dead wrong about it.
Hey Corp - Do you follow the situation on any messageboards? If so, do you go to TI, BOL, or BamaMag?
TiderInsider. And that's why I try not to put much stock in what they say since it is HomerLand. But when you post things from other sources (Miami press, PFT) it makes me start getting my hopes up. I'm trying not to get disappointed a la Coach Rod, which I really did think was a done deal.
I know what you mean...anything can happen, regardless of where it stands now. And the way things have gone for us the past 6 years...I've come to expect letdowns!I've been following on BamaMag and BOL, and thru people I know in T-town and Memphis.

By the way, a lawyer for the University told me the RR deal WAS done...they let him go back to WV, he changed his mind after meeting with the Gov, and UA dropped it.

Will be an exciting week...but we're a Basketball school now anyway :shrug:

I know what you mean...anything can happen, regardless of where it stands now. And the way things have gone for us the past 6 years...I've come to expect letdowns!I've been following on BamaMag and BOL, and thru people I know in T-town and Memphis.

By the way, a lawyer for the University told me the RR deal WAS done...they let him go back to WV, he changed his mind after meeting with the Gov, and UA dropped it.

Will be an exciting week...but we're a Basketball school now anyway ;)
I'll try not to jinx the bball team again, last time I talked about them they lost to ND. They are exciting to watch. And it has truly been a heartbreaking story with everything J. Davidson has gone through this year, losing his girlfriend in a car accident returning from a visit from his terminally ill brother, who then died last week. :shrug:

I'll try not to jinx the bball team again, last time I talked about them they lost to ND. They are exciting to watch. And it has truly been a heartbreaking story with everything J. Davidson has gone through this year, losing his girlfriend in a car accident returning from a visit from his terminally ill brother, who then died last week. :shrug:
Terrible story. I heard him say that cries himself to sleep many nights. Puts things in perspective on the coaching search.But, if we can get Steele healthy, we're going to be really good. I saw Gee play in high school, and he was electric then...but has put on 20 pounds. He looks to be another Sprewell type athlete to me.

TF, when I saw the "dream job" quote from the reporter, I questioned it as well. As far as Saban idolizing Bryant or something to that affect... I never saw it, but I've heard it so much I believe it. I'm pretty sure he was still at LSU when it happened, but I believe he was being interviewed on national TV and there was a bust of Bryant and some sort of Alabama picture on the wall. The interviewer asked him about it and he said he idolized Bryant or something very similar.

Like I have said all along, I think the best possible scenario for the Alabama fans pulling for Saban to come is that we know what his requests are in the contract from Sexton, we're willing to offer it, and Saban will give us an answer sometime next week. There are peopel that think we already have an answer or that we have received good indications that it will be accepted, but I'm not in that camp just yet. I've been told that is the case, but as Corp laid out, it's hard to be that optimistic as a Tide fan in this era.

I had to change my username on the Alabama boards. I almost changed it to jplvr a couple of years ago, but with JP Wilson coming on board, I thought it might get a little strange... or at least I'd have to explain it meant "Jeep Lover" instead of "John Parker Lover." It's swyts on those boards.

I think the basketball team will be in prime shape to make a run in the tournament. Most of the time I think that, we make an early exit... granted, we usually make an early exit, so that's not exactly all on my expectations. If Steele is healthy, all the pieces are there to be a very tough competitor come March. I said it a couple of years ago and I will do the same this year: If we make it to the Final4, I will be in attendance. If North Carolina is there as well, it's beyond assured.

What scares me is next year. 'Mareo is gone and I fear Steele and Hendrix will bolt early considering. Although I feel we can get decent play out of our G's on the team now or that are coming in next class, we're very thin down low. Cloyd and Jukes are reported to be looking elsewhere, so hopefully we can use those slots for some of the talent coming from the state next year... which I hear is pretty deep.

Jan. 1, 2007, 9:37 AM ET

Bama to make big offer to Saban later today:

Will Alabama lure Nick Saban away from the Dolphins? The Crimson Tide will make their formal pitch later Monday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting.

Saban's head coaching career

SabanNick Saban signed a five-year contract with the Dolphins on Dec. 27, 2004, becoming the sixth coach in Miami's history.

Dolphins' owner Wayne Huizenga is trying to persuade Saban to ignore Alabama's overtures.

Saban has three years left on his Dolphins deal worth approximately $4.5 million a year. Huizenga may have to bump him up considerably to keep him because the financial security gap is expected to be significantly different between the Dolphins and the Crimson Tide.

Alabama has only floated numbers that will be in the $4 to $4.5 million range, but over an 8- to 10-year term.

There are 11 colleges coaches who make over $2 million a year. There are four coaches in the $3 million-plus range, if you count USC's Pete Carroll, who made $2.93 million this year and should be over $3 million next year. Notre Dame's Charlie Weis, Iowa's Kirk Ferentz and Oklahoma's Bob Stoops are over $3 million.

A current Alabama assistant told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach on Sunday morning that former coach Mike Shula's staff expects Saban to be named the Crimson Tide's new coach sometime this week.

"He's going to clean house here, top to bottom," the coach said.

An Alabama official, speaking on the condition on anonymity, said earlier this week the Crimson Tide are interested in as many as five candidates to replace Shula, but Saban was clearly the top choice. The Alabama official said the school hoped to have Shula's replacement hired by Friday, which marks the beginning of an important recruiting weekend.

Reports linking Alabama and Saban began circulating soon after the Crimson Tide fired Shula as coach in late November. Saban has repeatedly denied interest in the job.

"I'm not going to be the Alabama coach," he said last week.

Saban said he wouldn't comment on the Alabama opening anymore.

"I'm just making a rule to never comment on something like that again because every time you comment on it, it just makes for another story," Saban said. "So I'm not going to comment on it five years from now, and I'm not going to comment on it next week."

He reminded reporters of his stance after Miami's season-ending 27-22 loss to the Colts on Sunday, adding the Dolphins job is the one "I'm committed to doing well."

Saban acknowledged this month that Alabama approached his agent about its coaching job, but he declined an invitation to talk to the Crimson Tide.

Saban agreed to a five-year contract worth at least $22.5 million with Miami on Christmas Day 2004.

Saban went 48-16 in five seasons at LSU, won the 2003 BCS national championship and went 92-42-1 as a college head coach. He turned down several overtures from the NFL before leaving Baton Rouge for Miami.

LSU offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher, who worked for Saban when the Tigers won the 2003 BCS national championship, said he wasn't sure if Saban would return to college football.

"I don't know what Nick's going to do," Fisher said. "That deal over there, I don't know. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat like everyone else waiting to see what happens."

But Fisher did indirectly indicate that Saban is unhappy coaching in the NFL, where he has less control over personnel issues.

When speaking about his own job opportunities, Fisher said: "I don't want to take the wrong job and three or four years later, you're asking for the one you had." Fisher then smiled and said, "We all know that happens a lot."

The national NFL media is leaning towards his leaving.

The South FL media is confident he is staying.

Strangely, the AL media is somewhat quiet.

I think he stays at Miami.

I have no idea who #2 is...Palm Beach Post reporting Petrino.

Reports that Mal Moore and Saban have met face to face tonight....despite Saban's adamate denials of interest in the job.

Reports that Saban offered long-term contract...7-10 years.

Reports that Wayne H will not renegotiate.

Reports that Miami and UA both ask for a decision within 24 hours.

Reports that Mal Moore and Saban have met face to face tonight....despite Saban's adamate denials of interest in the job.Reports that Saban offered long-term contract...7-10 years.Reports that Wayne H will not renegotiate.Reports that Miami and UA both ask for a decision within 24 hours.
Again this is why I don't believe these rumors. The longest contract a state of Alabama public employee can have is 7 years, I've been reading 8 to 10 years everywhere (I know you quoted 7 in this post). Hopefully this will be resolved tomorrow.I'm hopeful that it somehow works out, Saban's denials today were very weak, but I just don't know what to believe. I don't see Petrino coming at all, which makes me fear for our remaining choices. I think we need to just back the truck up and until Saban can't say no.

Reports that Mal Moore and Saban have met face to face tonight....despite Saban's adamate denials of interest in the job.Reports that Saban offered long-term contract...7-10 years.Reports that Wayne H will not renegotiate.Reports that Miami and UA both ask for a decision within 24 hours.
Again this is why I don't believe these rumors. The longest contract a state of Alabama public employee can have is 7 years, I've been reading 8 to 10 years everywhere (I know you quoted 7 in this post). Hopefully this will be resolved tomorrow.I'm hopeful that it somehow works out, Saban's denials today were very weak, but I just don't know what to believe. I don't see Petrino coming at all, which makes me fear for our remaining choices. I think we need to just back the truck up and until Saban can't say no.
Corp - the 10-year deal would actually be a 7-year deal with an option for a 3-year extension if a certain goal is met that would be easily met...therefore getting around the 7-year limit....according to "sources" :goodposting:I've said "No Way" from the beginning of this rumor in Nov...but my opinion is starting to waver!We should know by midday tommorrow...

The real story from Cecil:

http://tidesports.com/article/20070101/NEWS/70101002/1011

"Moore met with Miami Dolphins head coach Nick Saban on Monday night in Miami. Moore was scheduled to remain in south Florida overnight while awaiting Saban’s decision on whether to accept the Crimson Tide’s vacant head football coaching position or to remain with the Dolphins."

"Alabama offered Saban an eight-year package worth approximately $30 million"

"Huizenga reportedly talked with Saban about “improving (Saban’s) position” at Miami on Sunday, sources told The News. The sources did not say if that meant renegotiating the financial terms of Saban’s contract. Huizenga has reportedly been reluctant to pay Saban more than the $4.5 million annually that his current contract stipulates.

The Palm Beach (Fla.) Post reported on its website Monday that Huizenga flew to the Dolphins practice facility in his helicopter to visit with his coach."

According to multiple sources...in AL and SFL....NONE of whom have verified....it's done.

We've been thru this before. I want something concrete before I even begin to crack a smile....

If Bama is so confident on Saban, why did the trustees shoot down Jimbo Fisher to UAB (when his salary was going to be paid by boosters)?Seems like they were scared of UAB ending up with a better coach than Bama.
Conspiracy theorists down here are saying they didn't want Fisher to take the job because they wanted him available for Saban's staff. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just relaying what I've heard. I like Saban but I could be just as happy with some other coaches. With all the hype this is generating he better be able to walk on water if he comes to Bama.

:thumbup: :lmao:

When he won the National Championship the next year he was the highest paid Head Coach in NCAA football. Now he goes back to SEC after 2 years! #### him!

My source said the following:

3:30EST, Saban meets with Big Wayne and resigns.

5:00EST, Saban boards a plane for T'town.

9:00AM CST Press Conference in T'town announcing Saban as head coach.

I think Saban had Spurrier-esque delusions that he was going to come in and tear up the NFL. Of course, the rest of us know it isn't so simple. Now Nick knows too, and I think he's returning to college, where it's somewhat easier pickings.

He started getting cute at the press conference.

His respons about telling his wife "Happy New Year"...are we supposed to feel sorry for him and his lovely family? PLEASE!!!!!!!

I did not see the 2nd reporter but I recognized the voice and that was Jim Berry in Miami asking if "The deal was on the table"...good journalism and Saban could not them in the eye and answer the question...his eyes darted down and then he tried to focus on the back of the room...he isn't meeting with Alabama to posture himself with Miami. He has not done anything that great with Miami, he knows he will succeed better in college so now he can live in Tuscaloosa and be a hick, good for him and the quicker he does this the better.

Miami will interview... Jim Mora? Laundry list of Asst Coaches around the NFL...Mora is a decent coach who ran his mouth. There is some talent in Miami, he might make a decent fit. We need someone with a pedigree.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy could have owned Louisiana with the job he did at LSU. Would have been able to coach there forever based on the Tigers performance. 5 straight winning seasons, 5 straight bowl games, and topped off with a national championship. After some pretty lean years in the 90's, Sabans crew was a treat to watch. I'd hate to see him return to college ball away from LSU, especially in a glorified money grab.

In the end though, he's a college coach. As good as Miles is, I miss Saban.

His respons about telling his wife "Happy New Year"...are we supposed to feel sorry for him and his lovely family? PLEASE!!!!!!!

I did not see the 2nd reporter but I recognized the voice and that was Jim Berry in Miami asking if "The deal was on the table"...good journalism and Saban could not them in the eye and answer the question...his eyes darted down and then he tried to focus on the back of the room...he isn't meeting with Alabama to posture himself with Miami. He has not done anything that great with Miami, he knows he will succeed better in college so now he can live in Tuscaloosa and be a hick, good for him and the quicker he does this the better.

Miami will interview... Jim Mora? Laundry list of Asst Coaches around the NFL...Mora is a decent coach who ran his mouth. There is some talent in Miami, he might make a decent fit. We need someone with a pedigree.
Why the hate MOP?Alabama is not full of hicks.

The guy could have owned Louisiana with the job he did at LSU. Would have been able to coach there forever based on the Tigers performance. 5 straight winning seasons, 5 straight bowl games, and topped off with a national championship. After some pretty lean years in the 90's, Sabans crew was a treat to watch. I'd hate to see him return to college ball away from LSU, especially in a glorified money grab.In the end though, he's a college coach. As good as Miles is, I miss Saban.
Many LSU fans are pissed, but it's not like he left LSU for Bama....he tried the NFL out and realized it wasn't for him. More power to him. Expectations will be higher than ever (contrary to what my GB jplvr says). I posted the following on another board:
....for some reason I do see Saban going to Bama but I'm not sure if he will have the same success that he did at LSU for a few reasons: 1) He came into LSU with very little expectations. We had just finished two awful seasons with DiNardo taking two highly ranked teams and running them into the ground. 2) He came into Miami with very high expectations, one year off a NC and actually taking the Miami job after turning down multiple offers from NFL teams 3) He will come into Bama with even higher expectations than he did in Miami, and quite possbily the highest expectations ever for a college coach....a recent NC winning coach going into arguably the job with the highest expectations for a coach in the country 4) He will have a great increase in competition for recruiting than he did at LSU. LSU had no legitimate competition in its state let alone a school within 5 hours of driving distance. One of its neighboring states, Texas had load of talent, but no SEC schools, so he had that leverage at LSU. At Bama, he will have to compete with Auburn in state, as well as the Florida schools and UGA coming into Bama to raid the talent. I still think he will recruit well, but nowhere near to the success that he did at LSU All that being said, I still think Saban is a great college coach; and Bama will be a much better team and program with him.

I am by no means a hick..... (but jplvr is)

I agree with the pressure angle. Anything short of a 9 win season and a bowl berth would be declared a disaster.

Saban inherited a lot of talent from Dinardo at LSU, but he won with them when Dinardo couldn't.

The guy could have owned Louisiana with the job he did at LSU. Would have been able to coach there forever based on the Tigers performance. 5 straight winning seasons, 5 straight bowl games, and topped off with a national championship. After some pretty lean years in the 90's, Sabans crew was a treat to watch. I'd hate to see him return to college ball away from LSU, especially in a glorified money grab.In the end though, he's a college coach. As good as Miles is, I miss Saban.
Many LSU fans are pissed, but it's not like he left LSU for Bama....he tried the NFL out and realized it wasn't for him. More power to him. Expectations will be higher than ever (contrary to what my GB jplvr says). I posted the following on another board:
....for some reason I do see Saban going to Bama but I'm not sure if he will have the same success that he did at LSU for a few reasons: 1) He came into LSU with very little expectations. We had just finished two awful seasons with DiNardo taking two highly ranked teams and running them into the ground. 2) He came into Miami with very high expectations, one year off a NC and actually taking the Miami job after turning down multiple offers from NFL teams 3) He will come into Bama with even higher expectations than he did in Miami, and quite possbily the highest expectations ever for a college coach....a recent NC winning coach going into arguably the job with the highest expectations for a coach in the country 4) He will have a great increase in competition for recruiting than he did at LSU. LSU had no legitimate competition in its state let alone a school within 5 hours of driving distance. One of its neighboring states, Texas had load of talent, but no SEC schools, so he had that leverage at LSU. At Bama, he will have to compete with Auburn in state, as well as the Florida schools and UGA coming into Bama to raid the talent. I still think he will recruit well, but nowhere near to the success that he did at LSU All that being said, I still think Saban is a great college coach; and Bama will be a much better team and program with him.
I agree with most of what you said, but Alabama recruits more nationally than LSU. Lots of big time programs recruit nationally because they don't maybe have the homegrown talent or the "only game in town" thing that LSU has. That doesn't mean he won't be successful.Personally, I think Saban was a fantastic college coach and I expect Alabama to get better in a hurry.

I just more upset at the fact that he played the same, I'm not leaving card, he did while at LSU. And the fact that I would hate to play such a great coach every year. I understand why he is doing it, but to pull this again. If Jimbo Fisher leaves to go to Alabama, he knew all along he was going to leave Miami.

I agree with most of what you said, but Alabama recruits more nationally than LSU. Lots of big time programs recruit nationally because they don't maybe have the homegrown talent or the "only game in town" thing that LSU has. That doesn't mean he won't be successful.Personally, I think Saban was a fantastic college coach and I expect Alabama to get better in a hurry.
I expect him to have a few tough years of recruiting when competing coaches mention that he has not stayed more than a few years in any one place and that they will probably be playing for a different coach in a couple of seasoin.

Expectations couldn't be lower at Alabama right now after Shula's reign and mostly the NCAA probation. That being said, expectations will be much higher the moment he steps on campus.

The pieces are in place, but there are some holes. The most favorable set of circumstances he will have in the next 3 years happens next year, but like I said, there are holes that need to be plugged. Basically, the favorable home schedule hits next year with most of the tough games being at home. The following season, the situation reverses on scheduling and we'll have Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, and LSU all on the road. We will be replacing a 3 year starter at QB most likely the season following that.

As far as recruiting goes, Alabama has always dominated the state of Alabama. One of the reasons Auburn has been so strong is that during this probationary period, they have been able to even up the state, but as soon as last recruiting season, it has started to shift back. Someone like Saban "could" tip the scales even further. JMO there.

We'll see what happens, but I'm loving a little confirmation from Tat.

OK, let me explain. I grew up in South Florida then moved to Tampa to go to school and stayed there for about 10 years. Everything from Tampa north to me is basically Southern Alabama...I am kidding but there is a stark contrast in people once you get out of South Florida which ahs a strong Northeastern influence into the community...lot of NYC transplants in S.Florida.Why the hate? I don't hate but I have been to Birmingham and thru Alabama...it's not a progressive thinking community, sorry if I am being rude. I now live in SoCal and for the most part I like living out here because of the mentality difference in people from back in the South.

One example but it's a biggie is I can buy pot legally out here in SoCal...I need to do a thread on this. If 60 minutes were to ever really do a 20 minute segment on what transpires out here in California...peoples heads would explode. You might have read some blurbs here and there but the West Coast...not just California but the entire West Coast form the Rockies to the Pacific...just a completely different thought process on things. I don't enjoy the South much so I moved. Everyone is very slowwww down there, and even in business they are slow reacting to things.

That's my opinion, if you live there and like it, hats off to you. When I get old I will want to go back East but probably more like N.Carolina, somewhere within an hour of a palce like Charlotte, Atlanta, somewhere like that.

Also Alabama has a long history of racial hatred and I don't like it. I'm sure you are not like that but Alabama, Mississippi, those states will never be able to shake their history IMO.

OK, let me explain. I grew up in South Florida then moved to Tampa to go to school and stayed there for about 10 years. Everything from Tampa north to me is basically Southern Alabama...I am kidding but there is a stark contrast in people once you get out of South Florida which ahs a strong Northeastern influence into the community...lot of NYC transplants in S.Florida.Why the hate? I don't hate but I have been to Birmingham and thru Alabama...it's not a progressive thinking community, sorry if I am being rude. I now live in SoCal and for the most part I like living out here because of the mentality difference in people from back in the South.

One example but it's a biggie is I can buy pot legally out here in SoCal...I need to do a thread on this. If 60 minutes were to ever really do a 20 minute segment on what transpires out here in California...peoples heads would explode. You might have read some blurbs here and there but the West Coast...not just California but the entire West Coast form the Rockies to the Pacific...just a completely different thought process on things. I don't enjoy the South much so I moved. Everyone is very slowwww down there, and even in business they are slow reacting to things.

That's my opinion, if you live there and like it, hats off to you. When I get old I will want to go back East but probably more like N.Carolina, somewhere within an hour of a palce like Charlotte, Atlanta, somewhere like that.

Also Alabama has a long history of racial hatred and I don't like it. I'm sure you are not like that but Alabama, Mississippi, those states will never be able to shake their history IMO.
Hey there Sparky, while you're up on your high horse, could you check to see if Saban is heading towards Alabama. Great, thanks.

is pot seriously legal in socal? where can you buy it?

is pot seriously legal in socal? where can you buy it?
I'm going to do a thread on it soon. There are literally Rx stores now that specialize in it, are keeping it on hand along with things like "Browines", lots of stuff pot smokers would be into. You need a prescription but all you have to do is go to a doctor and tell them you have anxiety, stress, whatever...you don't need to be dyingform cancer to get the prescription...then you go to the Rx store and buy what you want. It isn't all prerolled joints...in fact I have a little baggie at home that actually says Blueberry Buds on it like you would pick it up at a Whole Foods Market, I'm not kidding you. The prescription is not cheap..usually runs about $150 but once you have it you can go in there and "legally" within California law you can buy what you want. I understand Federal Law is much different. Something has to give...either the Feds will show up one day and bust them all up...or more states will introduce this legislature.

When were you here? 1963?Seriously, we have one of the larger Medical Communities with one of the most advanced med schools in the country. Not only that, but we have running water too.

Don't hijack this thread with your lopsided views of Alabama.

Users who are viewing this thread