What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Saban to Bama (1 Viewer)

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6329560

Huzienga optimistic Saban will return

Story Tools:

Print Email Blog This Subscribe

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com

Posted: 6 minutes ago

The Nick Saban-Alabama saga is doing exactly what all sides were hoping to prevent — it's dragging out.

Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga wanted Saban's decision by Tuesday afternoon, but instead now says he'll have an answer from Saban by 10 a.m. Wednesday and is optimistic the coach will return. That sentiment, however, conflicts with many other sources' expectations, as told to FOXSports.com on Tuesday.

Those sources contend that Saban informed his staff late this afternoon that he was completely torn in his decision and hasn't yet made up his mind. However, the sources also say that Saban asked some assistants if they would be interested in joining him if he leaves for the college ranks again.

Dolphins assistants phoned coaching friends around the league Tuesday, admitting they are being kept in the dark as to a final decision

With his entire staff awaiting word regarding the coach's decision, Saban did not show up to the team's facility until midday. At about 3 p.m. EST, Saban and Huizenga met to hash out the coach's future with the team.

The last 24 hours has seen a whirlwind of inactivity, but a wealth of rumors regarding the two spots. Yesterday, Huzienga met with Saban on a few different occasions during the two hours the owner was at the team complex and basically three things could be taken from those meetings: 1.) The owner wants him to return as Dolphins coach; 2.) Huizenga wanted to get this entire ordeal settled either way by Tuesday afternoon; 3) Huizenga would absolutely not get leveraged in the deal if this was Saban's way of trying to squeeze the Fins for a bump in pay.

The Dolphins wanted to expedite his decision so as not to leave the rest of the organization, especially Saban's coaching staff, in the lurch. But it now seems like the team will have to wait another night.

Last night after meeting with the Dolphins owner Saban met in South Florida with Alabama AD Mal Moore.

The entire murky affair began weeks ago when reports first surfaced that the Dolphins head coach would be Alabama's top target to replace Mike Shula. Saban denied he would be leaving South Florida, but the rumor persisted.

For the last month or so weekly stories insisted that Alabama was targeting Saban, but the coach emphatically stated he would not be leaving Miami. Alabama, however, was clearly waiting to make a run at the former LSU coach and reports in Alabama stated the university was willing to comply with every demand Saban threw at them from financial terms to the size of his staff to his assistants' salaries.

In the meantime, people close to Texans assistant coach Mike Sherman told FOXSports.com that Sherman met with Alabama officials last week. However, everyone else contacted about the job knew they had to wait for the Crimson Tide to make their run at Saban.

Jay Glazer is FOXSports.com's senior NFL writer.

In reading another board I saw a rather thoughtful reason for the delay. Saban is staying at Miami and the 10AM time gives Mal Moore opportunity to call his second choice and get things in place to save face for Moore and Bama.
Could be. It's been reported that Mal had a 2nd guy who he was sure would still be available if Saban said no.
Petrino?
That's definitely been reported by numerous sources, including the Palm Beach Post.None of my "contacts" have any real info though on #2.

This quote leads me to believe that Saban is staying in Miami:

"January 2, 2007-Dolphins owner H. Wayne Huizenga today addressed the South Florida media following his meeting with Head Coach Nick Saban.

"The meeting went good. We had a quick meeting. We had a nice conversation. Coach asked if we could defer the decision until 10:00 tomorrow morning and then he went into several reasons as to why he wanted to do that. I agree 100-percent with his reasons. I understand now more about what he is thinking about and so I am happy to give him until 10:00 tomorrow morning. We agreed to meet here tomorrow morning at 10:00."

Looking for the link....

He MOP, gfys... tia. We're doing just fine here. It's a lot more conservative than I'd like it, but the rest of your posts in here are baseless crap.

I think the signs point to Nick staying... I feel sorry for my liver tonight.

The one thing I don't get about this soap opera if Saban does remain in Miami:

Would the Miami fans accept him back?

Sports Radio was brutal on him this morning...and fans I've seen on mb's have completely turned on him for even thinking about UA. Considering his results the last two years, would he have to win the AFC to even remain in Miami after '07?

He MOP, gfys... tia. We're doing just fine here. It's a lot more conservative than I'd like it, but the rest of your posts in here are baseless crap.

GFYS? I'm sorry you'll have to spell that out, I don't speak Albamian or whatever that is. BTW: That little expression is another reason I moved out of the South...I'm sure your parents and their PARENT must be so proud.

The one thing I don't get about this soap opera if Saban does remain in Miami:

Sports Radio was brutal on him this morning...and fans I've seen on mb's have completely turned on him for even thinking about UA. Considering his results the last two years, would he have to win the AFC to even remain in Miami after '07?
I was already not liking him looking around while the team has struggled. He went 3-7 to start last season...6-10 this year...Miami has had only 2-3 losing seasons over the past 20-30 years. We might not go far in the playoffs or have 9-7, 8-8 seasons but we have never been religious losers. I think he has a PR nightmare now if he stays, truly. He was a smart ### to the media yesterday or day before...just can't do that stuff and expect to get away with it. I actually hope he leaves at thsi point.

GFYS? I'm sorry you'll have to spell that out, I don't speak Albamian or whatever that is. BTW: That little expression is another reason I moved out of the South...I'm sure your parents and their PARENT must be so proud.
:bye:

He started getting cute at the press conference.

His respons about telling his wife "Happy New Year"...are we supposed to feel sorry for him and his lovely family? PLEASE!!!!!!!

I did not see the 2nd reporter but I recognized the voice and that was Jim Berry in Miami asking if "The deal was on the table"...good journalism and Saban could not them in the eye and answer the question...his eyes darted down and then he tried to focus on the back of the room...he isn't meeting with Alabama to posture himself with Miami. He has not done anything that great with Miami, he knows he will succeed better in college so now he can live in Tuscaloosa and be a hick, good for him and the quicker he does this the better.

Miami will interview... Jim Mora? Laundry list of Asst Coaches around the NFL...Mora is a decent coach who ran his mouth. There is some talent in Miami, he might make a decent fit. We need someone with a pedigree.
Why the hate MOP?Alabama is not full of hicks.
OK, let me explain. I grew up in South Florida then moved to Tampa to go to school and stayed there for about 10 years. Everything from Tampa north to me is basically Southern Alabama...I am kidding but there is a stark contrast in people once you get out of South Florida which ahs a strong Northeastern influence into the community...lot of NYC transplants in S.Florida.Why the hate? I don't hate but I have been to Birmingham and thru Alabama...it's not a progressive thinking community, sorry if I am being rude. I now live in SoCal and for the most part I like living out here because of the mentality difference in people from back in the South.

One example but it's a biggie is I can buy pot legally out here in SoCal...I need to do a thread on this. If 60 minutes were to ever really do a 20 minute segment on what transpires out here in California...peoples heads would explode. You might have read some blurbs here and there but the West Coast...not just California but the entire West Coast form the Rockies to the Pacific...just a completely different thought process on things. I don't enjoy the South much so I moved. Everyone is very slowwww down there, and even in business they are slow reacting to things.

That's my opinion, if you live there and like it, hats off to you. When I get old I will want to go back East but probably more like N.Carolina, somewhere within an hour of a palce like Charlotte, Atlanta, somewhere like that.

Also Alabama has a long history of racial hatred and I don't like it. I'm sure you are not like that but Alabama, Mississippi, those states will never be able to shake their history IMO.
When was the last time you were in Birmingham?I agree there is a vastly different mindset in comparing SoCal and Birmingham the details of which is how you want to live your life and raise your family.

Just a few Facts:

*Birmingham is the 7th best U. S. city for blacks to live, work and play. "Birmingham boasts the highest percentage of African American homeowners, 58%, of any of the top ten cities in America for blacks." Black Enterprise magazine, June 29, 2004.

*Birmingham ranked 10th among U. S. cities on the annual list of Fortune 500 companies, Fortune Magazine, April, 2001.

I work as a Software Developer and had plenty of opportunity to move to CA or the triangle area in the Carolinas when I graduated from school but did not want to. The cost benefit is just to great.

BTW I bet the taxes you pay on your house are more than my mortgage if your market is anything like New York. I have a house in New York and enjoy living there and visiting from time to time but for me nothing is better than here.

My wife is from NY and loves it here - in fact her parents even moved here after they came for a visit, sold their house in NY and moved down.
Thanks Perry. Maybe I just need to revisit Alabama again. I can tell you are proud to live there, that's fantastic. I am just worried I would get bored really quick, I mean real quick.

Why? I didn't cuss, I didn't name call, am I supposed to just be told to go blank myself and not say anything? That mentality again, and you both could learn form Perry btw, is why I don't like the South. You are trying to bait me for some reason instead of showing/telling me about the quality things there are in Alabama. Perry is from New York apparently, and I am not surprised.

He started getting cute at the press conference.

His respons about telling his wife "Happy New Year"...are we supposed to feel sorry for him and his lovely family? PLEASE!!!!!!!

I did not see the 2nd reporter but I recognized the voice and that was Jim Berry in Miami asking if "The deal was on the table"...good journalism and Saban could not them in the eye and answer the question...his eyes darted down and then he tried to focus on the back of the room...he isn't meeting with Alabama to posture himself with Miami. He has not done anything that great with Miami, he knows he will succeed better in college so now he can live in Tuscaloosa and be a hick, good for him and the quicker he does this the better.

Miami will interview... Jim Mora? Laundry list of Asst Coaches around the NFL...Mora is a decent coach who ran his mouth. There is some talent in Miami, he might make a decent fit. We need someone with a pedigree.
Why the hate MOP?Alabama is not full of hicks.
OK, let me explain. I grew up in South Florida then moved to Tampa to go to school and stayed there for about 10 years. Everything from Tampa north to me is basically Southern Alabama...I am kidding but there is a stark contrast in people once you get out of South Florida which ahs a strong Northeastern influence into the community...lot of NYC transplants in S.Florida.Why the hate? I don't hate but I have been to Birmingham and thru Alabama...it's not a progressive thinking community, sorry if I am being rude. I now live in SoCal and for the most part I like living out here because of the mentality difference in people from back in the South.

One example but it's a biggie is I can buy pot legally out here in SoCal...I need to do a thread on this. If 60 minutes were to ever really do a 20 minute segment on what transpires out here in California...peoples heads would explode. You might have read some blurbs here and there but the West Coast...not just California but the entire West Coast form the Rockies to the Pacific...just a completely different thought process on things. I don't enjoy the South much so I moved. Everyone is very slowwww down there, and even in business they are slow reacting to things.

That's my opinion, if you live there and like it, hats off to you. When I get old I will want to go back East but probably more like N.Carolina, somewhere within an hour of a palce like Charlotte, Atlanta, somewhere like that.

Also Alabama has a long history of racial hatred and I don't like it. I'm sure you are not like that but Alabama, Mississippi, those states will never be able to shake their history IMO.
When was the last time you were in Birmingham?I agree there is a vastly different mindset in comparing SoCal and Birmingham the details of which is how you want to live your life and raise your family.

Just a few Facts:

*Birmingham is the 7th best U. S. city for blacks to live, work and play. "Birmingham boasts the highest percentage of African American homeowners, 58%, of any of the top ten cities in America for blacks." Black Enterprise magazine, June 29, 2004.

*Birmingham ranked 10th among U. S. cities on the annual list of Fortune 500 companies, Fortune Magazine, April, 2001.

I work as a Software Developer and had plenty of opportunity to move to CA or the triangle area in the Carolinas when I graduated from school but did not want to. The cost benefit is just to great.

BTW I bet the taxes you pay on your house are more than my mortgage if your market is anything like New York. I have a house in New York and enjoy living there and visiting from time to time but for me nothing is better than here.

My wife is from NY and loves it here - in fact her parents even moved here after they came for a visit, sold their house in NY and moved down.
Thanks Perry. Maybe I just need to revisit Alabama again. I can tell you are proud to live there, that's fantastic. I am just worried I would get bored really quick, I mean real quick.
Lack of Star Wars coventions would lead you to utter boredom.

Why? I didn't cuss, I didn't name call, am I supposed to just be told to go blank myself and not say anything? That mentality again, and you both could learn form Perry btw, is why I don't like the South. You are trying to bait me for some reason instead of showing/telling me about the quality things there are in Alabama. Perry is from New York apparently, and I am not surprised.
You fired the first shot with your backwards thinking.Don't come crying now that I am firing back.

Keep your views on the South relevant to the year 2006-07 not the early 60's.

You have an open invite to come down any time you want.

Saban meeting with Big Wayne as we type.

Press assembling outside the Dolphins facility awaiting any news.
Actually, local Miami radio (Hank Goldberg) reported Saban left and waved to the media. Wayne is now at the stadium organizing a PC.Sounds like he's gone.
So Saban isn't going to address the media...he must feel like he just had the weight of the world lifted off his shoulders...wait till he gets to Bama and those fans left over formt he good ole days of Bear Bryant start talking to him...if you have ever seen Hoosiers...I'll stop there.
Too bad the "good ole days" as you call it really mean "tradition"Since Saban has been in the SEC I am sure he knows a thing or two about Bear Bryant.

wtf does Hoosiers have to do with this?
Did you see the way the town treated him when he got there? Alabama seems to think it has a top level program and I think it is middle of the road at best. Look at some of the awful teams they make look like contenders on a yearly basis, even when they have the better players.

Call it coaching, whatever, but I fall asleep anytime Bama is on TV.

Saban meeting with Big Wayne as we type.

Press assembling outside the Dolphins facility awaiting any news.
Actually, local Miami radio (Hank Goldberg) reported Saban left and waved to the media. Wayne is now at the stadium organizing a PC.Sounds like he's gone.
So Saban isn't going to address the media...he must feel like he just had the weight of the world lifted off his shoulders...wait till he gets to Bama and those fans left over formt he good ole days of Bear Bryant start talking to him...if you have ever seen Hoosiers...I'll stop there.
Too bad the "good ole days" as you call it really mean "tradition"Since Saban has been in the SEC I am sure he knows a thing or two about Bear Bryant.

wtf does Hoosiers have to do with this?
Did you see the way the town treated him when he got there? Alabama seems to think it has a top level program and I think it is middle of the road at best. Look at some of the awful teams they make look like contenders on a yearly basis, even when they have the better players.

Call it coaching, whatever, but I fall asleep anytime Bama is on TV.
Who? Saban?

You fired the first shot with your backwards thinking.Don't come crying now that I am firing back.

Does Alabama have a tradition of racism, yes or no? Simple answers pleaseDoes Alabama like Florida have tremendous amounts of humidity much of the time?

Other than traditional banks(Not Mortgage Companies), what types of large companies are in Alabama? Are they part of the cutting edge in certain industries? I would really like to learn so please share.

What is the poverty rate in Alabama?

Where do their public schools rank?

Instead of name calling which is pretty lowbrow we could discuss the important stuff. No NFL, MLB, NBA, or NHL in Alabama...the whole state is wrapped around Crimson Tide Football and that's the reason I lude to Hoosiers where in the movie the whole town is wrapped around Indiana HS Basketball because there simply isn't much else. I am not saying that Alabama is like Hickory IN as far as size...but there are no major sports teams IIRC...how progressive and cutting edge is Alabama?

Again, if I am out of line or being rude, I am simply trying to point out the mindset of the average person there...I wasn't firing at you.

As a Miami fan, I was 100% behind Saban until this recent fiasco. His record hasn't been stellar, but I had faith he would turn it around and gave him some leeway because it's still early. Now, though, I'm kinda hoping he leaves. I can't help but think that even if he stays this is going to be a recurring problem every time some big-name college program has a vacancy and I don't think it is worth the distraction. To be honest, I think this was a bigger distraction than it should've been because of the way Saban handled it. Get some up and comer in that will be hungry to earn their reputation by turning the Dolphins around instead of some big name that already has a reputation and will constantly be fielding offers from others.

Rooster - If I was a Phin fan, I'd probably feel the same way.

The more I think about it, the more I think Saban goes home to his wife and family and wakes up tommorrow accepting the UA job.

It's a mistake to underestimate Wayne H though...

:unsure:
Good grief. I can't believe you are calling out their mentality, when your perception of the South is totally warped. Hopefully the reason is because you've been trapped inside a time capsule for the last 40 something years, and you just climbed out. I hope you don't move back South, and especially to NC where I am. If you start spouting out your Southern bigotry down here, someone might go all Sling Blade on you. That's if one of us can move fast enough, since us Southerners move soooo sloooooow. Stay down yonder where ya is, ya hear.

the whole state is wrapped around Crimson Tide Football and that's the reason I lude to Hoosiers where in the movie the whole town is wrapped around Indiana HS Basketball because there simply isn't much else. I am not saying that Alabama is like Hickory IN as far as size...but there are no major sports teams IIRC...how progressive and cutting edge is Alabama?

Again, if I am out of line or being rude, I am simply trying to point out the mindset of the average person there...I wasn't firing at you.
:yes: :lmao: And you have the nerve to question anyone's intelligence. Shouldn't you get home to your rental apartment to verbally abuse your wife over some dry cleaning or something.

:lmao:
Good grief. I can't believe you are calling out their mentality, when your perception of the South is totally warped. Hopefully the reason is because you've been trapped inside a time capsule for the last 40 something years, and you just climbed out. I hope you don't move back South, and especially to NC where I am. If you start spouting out your Southern bigotry down here, someone might go all Sling Blade on you. That's if one of us can move fast enough, since us Southerners move soooo sloooooow. Stay down yonder where ya is, ya hear.
:yes: :lmao:

:cry:

Does Alabama have a tradition of racism, yes or no? Simple answers pleaseDoes Alabama like Florida have tremendous amounts of humidity much of the time?

Other than traditional banks(Not Mortgage Companies), what types of large companies are in Alabama? Are they part of the cutting edge in certain industries? I would really like to learn so please share.

Instead of name calling which is pretty lowbrow we could discuss the important stuff. No NFL, MLB, NBA, or NHL in Alabama...the whole state is wrapped around Crimson Tide Football and that's the reason I lude to Hoosiers where in the movie the whole town is wrapped around Indiana HS Basketball because there simply isn't much else. I am not saying that Alabama is like Hickory IN as far as size...but there are no major sports teams IIRC...how progressive and cutting edge is Alabama?

Does Alabama have a tradition of racism, yes or no? Birmingham is where alot of the issue occured. So to say "Alabama" is very general. I would say a history, yes, but a tradition? not IMO.But, does California have a history of racism just b/c or the Rodney King incident or the LA Riots?

Does Alabama like Florida have tremendous amounts of humidity much of the time. Is humidity linked to racism? Yes Alabama has humidity, as does Florida, Louisiana, Georgia, South Carolina, etc...

What is the poverty rate in Alabama? 17%, 8th highest in the Nation. The state's median household income - the point at which half make more and half make less - over the 12-month period that ended in July 2005 was $36,879, fifth lowest in the country. Mississippi ranked at the bottom at $32,938.

Other than traditional banks(Not Mortgage Companies), what types of large companies are in Alabama? Are they part of the cutting edge in certain industries? Well, we are the home of Healthsouth ( :cry: ), which is still a big money making company with or without the help of Sir Richard.

We have various manufacturing plants from textiles to chemicals to automobiles. Birmingham is well known as the "Steel City" for the large amounts of steel generated here. Also due to the fact that raw materials like coal and iron ore are abundant here. The University of Alabama-Birmingham (UAB) boasts to be one of the most renowned medical centers in the world. It is also the largest employer in the state. If that's not cutting edge, than I don't know what is. Huntsville, which is in Northern Alabama is a major center for U.S. space research, Huntsville is the site of the Redstone Arsenal, the U.S. army's control and procurement center for guided missiles and rockets. NASA's George C. Marshall Space Flight Center and the U.S. Space and Rocket Center, the world's largest space museum, are also in the city.

*At 11.18%, Alabama has the lowest 4-year projected dropout

rate in the State’s history. (source: Alabama Dept. of Education)

*When compared nationally, the state of Alabama funds its K-12

educational system at a D level, and gets B- results. (source: NEA

Ranking of the States and Stanford Achievement Test data)

*Alabama has the highest graduation requirements in the United

States. Public high school students are required to pass a

minimum of 24 credits. This includes four years of mandatory

English, mathematics, social studies, and science – known as the

four-by-four curriculum. Students are tested on fundamental

concepts of core courses using the Alabama High School

*Alabama’s Jefferson County International Baccalaureate School

was named the number one high school in the nation in 2005

and number two in 2006 according to Newsweek magazine.

Additionally, five other Alabama schools are listed as top high

schools nationwide. (source: Newsweek, May 2005 & May 2006)

I could go on, but it looks like we are 44th in teacher salary, yet 22nd in student enrollment. 19th in Teacher/Student ratio = lots of kids with lower paid teachers.

We don't have any major league teams here, and for a reason. We don't have the facilities to support one.

We have had major league teams in leagues that have folded, but were supported very well here. For instance the World Football League in the mid 70's, the USFL in the 80's the WLAF and we even had a Canadian league team. We have an AF2 team which draws decent crowds and a world class AA baseball affiliate of the White Sox with one of the better stadiums in the nation. We have hosted SEC championships in football, basketball and still host the SEC baseball championship. We have one of the top Champion's Tour tournaments here as well. We have hosted NCAA Womens and Mens basketball tournaments in March to boot. Not to mention the Talladega Super Speedway and Barber Motorsports park.

My opinion, I could care less if we got an NFL, MLB or NHL team. They won't be supported because we won't waste the money to build a state of the art facility to host them and not have any conventions to pay for it in the off season. I can drive two hours to Atlanta or Nashville if I want to see an NFL or MLB game if I want to.

College football (not just Alabama football) is life here and generates very good income for Birmingham, Tuscaloosa and Auburn to name a few places.

I am in no way saying that Alabama or Birmingham is cutting edge, I don't know where you got that from. But we are certainly NOT a backwards, racist, underdeveloped part of the United States. I live in a nice house, in a nice neighborhood and make a very comfortable living for myself and my family. We have many friends from the west coast who told us that they would love to move here. There is always plenty to do, but getting there is rarely a problem.

Does Alabama have a tradition of racism, yes or no? Birmingham is where alot of the issue occured. So to say "Alabama" is very general. I would say a history, yes, but a tradition? not IMO.But, does California have a history of racism just b/c or the Rodney King incident or the LA Riots?

Does Alabama like Florida have tremendous amounts of humidity much of the time. Is humidity linked to racism? Yes Alabama has humidity, as does Florida, Louisiana, Georgia, South Carolina, etc...

What is the poverty rate in Alabama? 17%, 8th highest in the Nation. The state's median household income - the point at which half make more and half make less - over the 12-month period that ended in July 2005 was $36,879, fifth lowest in the country. Mississippi ranked at the bottom at $32,938.

Other than traditional banks(Not Mortgage Companies), what types of large companies are in Alabama? Are they part of the cutting edge in certain industries? Well, we are the home of Healthsouth ( :cry: ), which is still a big money making company with or without the help of Sir Richard.

We have various manufacturing plants from textiles to chemicals to automobiles. Birmingham is well known as the "Steel City" for the large amounts of steel generated here. Also due to the fact that raw materials like coal and iron ore are abundant here. The University of Alabama-Birmingham (UAB) boasts to be one of the most renowned medical centers in the world. It is also the largest employer in the state. If that's not cutting edge, than I don't know what is. Huntsville, which is in Northern Alabama is a major center for U.S. space research, Huntsville is the site of the Redstone Arsenal, the U.S. army's control and procurement center for guided missiles and rockets. NASA's George C. Marshall Space Flight Center and the U.S. Space and Rocket Center, the world's largest space museum, are also in the city.

*At 11.18%, Alabama has the lowest 4-year projected dropout

rate in the State’s history. (source: Alabama Dept. of Education)

*When compared nationally, the state of Alabama funds its K-12

educational system at a D level, and gets B- results. (source: NEA

Ranking of the States and Stanford Achievement Test data)

*Alabama has the highest graduation requirements in the United

States. Public high school students are required to pass a

minimum of 24 credits. This includes four years of mandatory

English, mathematics, social studies, and science – known as the

four-by-four curriculum. Students are tested on fundamental

concepts of core courses using the Alabama High School

*Alabama’s Jefferson County International Baccalaureate School

was named the number one high school in the nation in 2005

and number two in 2006 according to Newsweek magazine.

Additionally, five other Alabama schools are listed as top high

schools nationwide. (source: Newsweek, May 2005 & May 2006)

I could go on, but it looks like we are 44th in teacher salary, yet 22nd in student enrollment. 19th in Teacher/Student ratio = lots of kids with lower paid teachers.

We don't have any major league teams here, and for a reason. We don't have the facilities to support one.

We have had major league teams in leagues that have folded, but were supported very well here. For instance the World Football League in the mid 70's, the USFL in the 80's the WLAF and we even had a Canadian league team. We have an AF2 team which draws decent crowds and a world class AA baseball affiliate of the White Sox with one of the better stadiums in the nation. We have hosted SEC championships in football, basketball and still host the SEC baseball championship. We have one of the top Champion's Tour tournaments here as well. We have hosted NCAA Womens and Mens basketball tournaments in March to boot. Not to mention the Talladega Super Speedway and Barber Motorsports park.

My opinion, I could care less if we got an NFL, MLB or NHL team. They won't be supported because we won't waste the money to build a state of the art facility to host them and not have any conventions to pay for it in the off season. I can drive two hours to Atlanta or Nashville if I want to see an NFL or MLB game if I want to.

College football (not just Alabama football) is life here and generates very good income for Birmingham, Tuscaloosa and Auburn to name a few places.

I am in no way saying that Alabama or Birmingham is cutting edge, I don't know where you got that from. But we are certainly NOT a backwards, racist, underdeveloped part of the United States. I live in a nice house, in a nice neighborhood and make a very comfortable living for myself and my family. We have many friends from the west coast who told us that they would love to move here. There is always plenty to do, but getting there is rarely a problem.
Good stuff Tat, thanks.

[ I am not saying that Alabama is like Hickory IN as far as size...but there are no major sports teams IIRC...how progressive and cutting edge is Alabama?

Again, if I am out of line or being rude, I am simply trying to point out the mindset of the average person there...I wasn't firing at you .
I completely failed to mention in my last post regarding Dr Andrews and his staff of surgeons, Surely with all of your time spent in the Shark Pool that name rings a bell. I was lucky enough to sell surgical implants and fixation devices to him for 5 years. So, yes, in a sense that was cutting edge.Your comments about the "mindset of the average person" was out of line and petty and I didn't take them personally, but your generalization of the South, Alabama in particualr is way off but expected from someone who tries to be funny and talks out of his ###.

Ministry of Pain said:
the whole state is wrapped around Crimson Tide Football and that's the reason I lude to Hoosiers where in the movie the whole town is wrapped around Indiana HS Basketball because there simply isn't much else. I am not saying that Alabama is like Hickory IN as far as size...but there are no major sports teams IIRC...how progressive and cutting edge is Alabama?

:shrug: :cry: And you have the nerve to question anyone's intelligence. Shouldn't you get home to your rental apartment to verbally abuse your wife over some dry cleaning or something.
This isn't a formal writing class Gambi, last time I checked. I saw it, I left it. I blog in here and typically type rather quickly. If I was broadcasting my voice rather than typing it wouldn't read that way...never sure what people think they are proving by gramatically correcting others. I type fast, don't proof it and am trying to work while I surf thru here. If that bothers you than you can do whatever jplvr told me at the top of the page. Thanks Bambi.
That is one of the things that is so comical about you. You try to act intelligent, but you clearly are not. It isn't like you missed a comma or swapped a letter. You effin typed "I lude", when you meant to use the word "allude". This happens a lot with you. You do realize that the vast majority of this board doesn't take you seriously, right? At this point you are LHUCKS, just more conservative. Both of you love to spew your "knowledge", which really serves no purpose except for material that others can :cry: at you for. No get home and yell at wifey or shout down some co-workers or something.

Ministry of Pain said:

:cry: :cry: And you have the nerve to question anyone's intelligence. Shouldn't you get home to your rental apartment to verbally abuse your wife over some dry cleaning or something.
This isn't a formal writing class Gambi, last time I checked. I saw it, I left it. I blog in here and typically type rather quickly. If I was broadcasting my voice rather than typing it wouldn't read that way...never sure what people think they are proving by gramatically correcting others. I type fast, don't proof it and am trying to work while I surf thru here. If that bothers you than you can do whatever jplvr told me at the top of the page. Thanks Bambi.
That is one of the things that is so comical about you. You try to act intelligent, but you clearly are not. It isn't like you missed a comma or swapped a letter. You effin typed "I lude", when you meant to use the word "allude". This happens a lot with you. You do realize that the vast majority of this board doesn't take you seriously, right? At this point you are LHUCKS, just more conservative. Both of you love to spew your "knowledge", which really serves no purpose except for material that others can :cry: at you for. No get home and yell at wifey or shout down some co-workers or something.
And your not trying to put yourself on a pedestal by putting me down??? Totally your opinion Gambi but the hits and feedback I get in the Shark Pool which is the main reason I even ante the $25 a year lets me know that it is your opinion. There is another forum where you can go openly berate me if that's your flavor...you obviously love to read what I write cause you keep bringing up past threads...I can only take it as envy or a compliment so thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ministry of Pain said:

:no: :unsure: And you have the nerve to question anyone's intelligence. Shouldn't you get home to your rental apartment to verbally abuse your wife over some dry cleaning or something.
And your not trying to put yourself on a pedestal by putting me down??? Totally your opinion Gambi but the hits and feedback I get in the Shark Pool which is the main reason I even ante the $25 a year lets me know that it is your opinion. There is another forum where you can go openly berate me if that's your flavor...you obviously love to read what I write cause you keep bringing up past threads...I can only take it as envy or a compliment so thanks again.
:cry: You mean you have to pay to post here? :goodposting:

I am done with you, just like you are done with the South.

Ministry of Pain said:
[ I am not saying that Alabama is like Hickory IN as far as size...but there are no major sports teams IIRC...how progressive and cutting edge is Alabama?

Again, if I am out of line or being rude, I am simply trying to point out the mindset of the average person there...I wasn't firing at you .
I completely failed to mention in my last post regarding Dr Andrews and his staff of surgeons, Surely with all of your time spent in the Shark Pool that name rings a bell. I was lucky enough to sell surgical implants and fixation devices to him for 5 years. So, yes, in a sense that was cutting edge.Your comments about the "mindset of the average person" was out of line and petty and I didn't take them personally, but your generalization of the South, Alabama in particualr is way off but expected from someone who tries to be funny and talks out of his ###.
So after my last post thanking you for the great info, you repost and put this up??? Are you just trying to pick a fight? I don't get it but again this is why I don't live in the South anymore. And the things you highlighted are mostly why we moved out from the South. You talked about the poverty level, you make Birmingham out like it's no big deal, but it's the biggest city in the State so it represents Alabama...1963 wasn't that long ago...you know in comparison to say Jesus and whatnot.

My wife earned 2 degrees from colleges in the South/Florida, grew up in the town she went to college in, was offered jobs that paid about $30,000 a year when she left college...ridiculous. They pay you in sunshine in Florida, that's the truth. I worked for a major title company out here in Caifornia that left for Clearwater so they could hire everyone for $8-$10 an hour or less if they could get away with it.

How bout this? You like living where you are, I like living where I am, I also am from the South but we'll leave that part out.

Cheers :goodposting:
You mean that the original "Thanks" post was not done with a smirk on your face?I only highlighted what you asked me for friend. Remember from your studies that the South still have alot of rural areas where the poverty level is high due to the low cost of living there? So, yes, compared to some states the poverty level may be higher, but that's not avoidable, and therefor shouldn't be frowned upon by someone like you.

No surprise in how this thread has turned.

People attack Alabama's football program.

Alabama's football program possibly lands a big name, respected, successful coach.

People turn attacks to state and people of Alabama.

I expect more of the same from some media.

Meanwhile...I hope we land our coach and right this ship!!

No surprise in how this thread has turned.People attack Alabama's football program.Alabama's football program possibly lands a big name, respected, successful coach.People turn attacks to state and people of Alabama.I remember going thru this at recess in middle school.
:goodposting: Back to the topic at hand, hopefully I will be around when the announcement is made, either to get JoeB's address for shipping the ribs, or giving him mine to ship the boat.

Hi.

I wood encude moore wurds butt I's from suthern albama and I's a hick. I don't now to many wurds.

Bye yall.

Ministry of Pain said:
Ministry of Pain said:

So after my last post thanking you for the great info, you repost and put this up??? Are you just trying to pick a fight? I don't get it but again this is why I don't live in the South anymore. And the things you highlighted are mostly why we moved out from the South. You talked about the poverty level, you make Birmingham out like it's no big deal, but it's the biggest city in the State so it represents Alabama...1963 wasn't that long ago...you know in comparison to say Jesus and whatnot.

My wife earned 2 degrees from colleges in the South/Florida, grew up in the town she went to college in, was offered jobs that paid about $30,000 a year when she left college...ridiculous. They pay you in sunshine in Florida, that's the truth. I worked for a major title company out here in Caifornia that left for Clearwater so they could hire everyone for $8-$10 an hour or less if they could get away with it.

How bout this? You like living where you are, I like living where I am, I also am from the South but we'll leave that part out.

Cheers :banned:
You mean that the original "Thanks" post was not done with a smirk on your face? NoneI only highlighted what you asked me for friend. Remember from your studies that the South still have alot of rural areas where the poverty level is high due to the low cost of living there? So, yes, compared to some states the poverty level may be higher, but that's not avoidable, and therefor shouldn't be frowned upon by someone like you.
You asked questions that tried to shed a negative light on the South and Alabama in particular.I call :unsure: to your response.

Both of you chill out please.J

Both of you chill out please.

J

Can I take the cash option instead of the boat?

MOP:

Exactly what do your questions have to do with "the mindset of the average person there" :cry:

J

J

Hi Tat,

What is this boat you speak of? I understood the offer to be simply you sent a rack of ribs and sauce if he was the coach by Jan 2. I've been saying for a while I wouldn't be surprised by this based on conversations with my buddy who is very close to the deal.

J

J

Hi Tat,

What is this boat you speak of? I understood the offer to be simply you sent a rack of ribs and sauce if he was the coach by Jan 2. I've been saying for a while I wouldn't be surprised by this based on conversations with my buddy who is very close to the deal.

J

I just assumed there would be a boat involved on your end......

:hot:

:lmao:

MOP:

Exactly what do your questions have to do with "the mindset of the average person there" :hot:

J
I don't think he's coming back to this thread. He sent me a PM asking that I delete the posts where I defended my points against his allegations. I refused. He was wrong, got pwned, and is now asking that the evidence be destroyed.

Ministry of Pain said:

:hot: :lmao: And you have the nerve to question anyone's intelligence. Shouldn't you get home to your rental apartment to verbally abuse your wife over some dry cleaning or something.
That is one of the things that is so comical about you. You try to act intelligent, but you clearly are not. It isn't like you missed a comma or swapped a letter. You effin typed "I lude", when you meant to use the word "allude". This happens a lot with you. You do realize that the vast majority of this board doesn't take you seriously, right? At this point you are LHUCKS, just more conservative. Both of you love to spew your "knowledge", which really serves no purpose except for material that others can :lmao: at you for. No get home and yell at wifey or shout down some co-workers or something.
Now.:runs:

Not bad...but I've been hearing it since early November....
but did you sagaciously post said knowledge for posterity and proof?
You got me there, GM! I did mention it to a local talk show host (Dan Sileo)...who will be receiving a call later this week if it does happen. He's no FBG, though :hot: BTW...I continue to hear favorable news from a lot of sources....but we'll see if Wayne can sell him to stay.

MOP:Exactly what do your questions have to do with "the mindset of the average person there" :thumbup:J
It's a good question. I was originally pointing out that Alabama has no pro sports and the people in Alabama breathe, sleep, and eat Crimson Tide football. They think that the Alabama Football program is still a premier program. It's simply not. Back when Bear Bryant was coaching there was no UM, FSU, UF, those 3 schools were not close to what they became in the late 70s, 80s, and 90s..surely you can agree with that. So for the life of me I cannot figure out why Nick Saban would really want to coach there. I know LSU fans are diehards, but there are other things going on in Louisiana...there really isn't much happening in Alabama...when you watch the movie Hoosiers, those are the types of fans and people you see at Alabama games. God bless them, they are real true fans but that program is not a top level program. Too many schools at a higher level recruiting in their backyard and the yards next to them for them to really be dominant IMO. Getting back to Saban...guy leaves LSU where he had lots of success to go coach Miami where he has had little to no impact...OH he went 9-7 but he started 3-7 and most teams were looking at Miami as a "W" on the schedule last season...maybe he should have kept Gus to back up CPepp. So now it looks like he wants to run away from the NFL for the nice cushy life in Alabama and I think he will be under as much pressure if not worse from Alabama. What was Shula's record there? Didn't they go 9-3 or 10-2 a couple years ago? The fans there have not come to the realization that it just is not what it used to be and simply shuffling coaches in and out is not going to change that. Saban found out how hard it was in the NFL...he did OK at MSU, much better at LSU, I would say Alabama is about equal to MSU, so if winning 60-70% of your games is good enough for the Crimson Tide fans then maybe he will be successful. But going 8-4 every year does not make a lot of friends in Tuscaloosa.

You know VERY little about the Alabama program, life in Alabama, and the people who live in Alabama.

Thanks for the opinion from a pi$$ed off Miami fan, though.

MOP:Exactly what do your questions have to do with "the mindset of the average person there" :confused:J
It's a good question. I was originally pointing out that Alabama has no pro sports and the people in Alabama breathe, sleep, and eat Crimson Tide football. They think that the Alabama Football program is still a premier program. It's simply not. Back when Bear Bryant was coaching there was no UM, FSU, UF, those 3 schools were not close to what they became in the late 70s, 80s, and 90s..surely you can agree with that. So for the life of me I cannot figure out why Nick Saban would really want to coach there. I know LSU fans are diehards, but there are other things going on in Louisiana...there really isn't much happening in Alabama...when you watch the movie Hoosiers, those are the types of fans and people you see at Alabama games. God bless them, they are real true fans but that program is not a top level program. Too many schools at a higher level recruiting in their backyard and the yards next to them for them to really be dominant IMO. Getting back to Saban...guy leaves LSU where he had lots of success to go coach Miami where he has had little to no impact...OH he went 9-7 but he started 3-7 and most teams were looking at Miami as a "W" on the schedule last season...maybe he should have kept Gus to back up CPepp. So now it looks like he wants to run away from the NFL for the nice cushy life in Alabama and I think he will be under as much pressure if not worse from Alabama. What was Shula's record there? Didn't they go 9-3 or 10-2 a couple years ago? The fans there have not come to the realization that it just is not what it used to be and simply shuffling coaches in and out is not going to change that. Saban found out how hard it was in the NFL...he did OK at MSU, much better at LSU, I would say Alabama is about equal to MSU, so if winning 60-70% of your games is good enough for the Crimson Tide fans then maybe he will be successful. But going 8-4 every year does not make a lot of friends in Tuscaloosa.
So you're saying the competition now is greater than it was 40 years ago? Somehow runningbacks have become faster and somehow linemen have become stronger huh?

:bag:

MOP:

Exactly what do your questions have to do with "the mindset of the average person there" :confused:

J
I don't think he's coming back to this thread. He sent me a PM asking that I delete the posts where I defended my points against his allegations. I refused. He was wrong, got pwned, and is now asking that the evidence be destroyed.
Why don't you paste verbatum what I sent you in a PM. I took down some of the posts because Joe asked me to chill out, so I went ahead and took down the posts with exchanges between us. I don't need a mod or Joe to prune my posts, I simply was trying to quell the hostility you keep pushing. Dude, seriously, what is your problem? I sent you a PM, I have tried to treat you in a respectful manner but you continue to want to pick a fight...destroying evidence? This isn't a trial...I simply think people in Alabama are passionate about their football team to the point they see thru rose colored glasses about the outlook for Alabama Football...and your posts have done nothing but back that up.

:bag:

MOP:

Exactly what do your questions have to do with "the mindset of the average person there" :confused:

J
Why don't you paste verbatum what I sent you in a PM. I took down some of the posts because Joe asked me to chill out, so I went ahead and took down the posts with exchanges between us. I don't need a mod or Joe to prune my posts, I simply was trying to quell the hostility you keep pushing. Dude, seriously, what is your problem? I sent you a PM, I have tried to treat you in a respectful manner but you continue to want to pick a fight...destroying evidence? This isn't a trial...I simply think peole in Alabama are passionate abou their football team to the point they see thru rose colored glasses about the outlook for Alabama Football...and your posts have done nothing but back that up.
Those glasses better be Titanium for the amount of money they are going to spend on a coach.I am not passionate about Alabama football. I am defensive when some idiot comes in here and acts like he knows what he is talking about and tries to degrade me by asking me questions regarding the state I live in.

FWIW, your PM was deleted, so I can't repost it. Joe told you and jeep to chill out, so you deleted the ignoant post(s). Be a man and let the new people to this thread read what you said and throw some comments your way. You deserve them.

I am not picking fights, I learned that in the Tat's Dad thread. I am defending myself and fellow Alabamians against your blatant attempt to exploit the negatives and avoid the positives.

Users who are viewing this thread