What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (3 Viewers)

How fast will the high speed innerweb be? This (along with the outlook sync) would be a huge dealbreaker for me.

I know the Treo has a very fast web (via sprint is my only experience) and I can stick a 1GB Memory card that costs $30 into the Treo and have a ton of songs.

' date='Jan 10 2007, 11:47 AM' post='6181920']

' date='Jan 10 2007, 11:29 AM' post='6181815']

Apple owns it not Cingular and from what I've read you will have to deal with Apple, not Cingular regarding issues with the phone.
:confused: I'm not saying it's certainly not the case but I'd like to see a link as it would be a first if cingular was not supporting a phone that htey carried.

I'd prefer that link to something other than heresay from a blog as well...TIA
Well, if you buy an IPOD at Best Buy and the IPOD freezes up and no longer works, will Best Buy fix it? With my old IPOD I had to ship it to Apple (live in NYC and no way can I take off of work during the day and wait hours at the store) and at best I got it back 4 or 5 days later.
YOu can't possibly be this dense, can you?Are you seriously comparing a phone sold through cingular to a MP3 player sold through best buy?

Come on man... you're not very bright but you aren't usually this lame.

You said you READ that cingular doesn't support the iPhone.. please provide a link. I'm sure you wouldn't lie about something like that...
Apple makes phones and IPod's, my point is that no matter where you buy Apple products, if they fail, then you need to return it to Apple to get a new one or have it fixed. Am I wrong on that?I did provide the link, go back to my first post in here and he talks about it.

I called Cingular and they currently do not know 100% what will happen if the Iphone doesn't work, his "best guess" is that if your phone doesn't work and it's under Cingular warranty they they, not Apple, deals with it BUT it could take at minimum two days to get a replacement phone then you send yours back to them.

I called Cingular and they currently do not know 100% what will happen if the Iphone doesn't work, his "best guess" is that if your phone doesn't work and it's under Cingular warranty they they, not Apple, deals with it BUT it could take at minimum two days to get a replacement phone then you send yours back to them.
:o Not sure if you are aware of this, but it is not due out until June. You've got a few months to figure this out yet.

How fast will the high speed innerweb be? This (along with the outlook sync) would be a huge dealbreaker for me. I know the Treo has a very fast web (via sprint is my only experience) and I can stick a 1GB Memory card that costs $30 into the Treo and have a ton of songs.
I think Cingular EDGE tops out at 110 kbps, about twice the speed of a 56k modem -- not awful, but not as fast as Verizon EvDO, for example. I've tried to find out if the device has an SD slot on it because that would be an easy way to boost the storage, but I haven't found anything definitive on whether it does or doesn't.

How fast will the high speed innerweb be? This (along with the outlook sync) would be a huge dealbreaker for me.

I know the Treo has a very fast web (via sprint is my only experience) and I can stick a 1GB Memory card that costs $30 into the Treo and have a ton of songs.
According to this link, very slowhttp://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=4263

IPHONE neglects the prosumer

What's the big deal? The iPhone has non-corporate-grade e-mail functionality and Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution (EDGE) rather than High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) wireless Internet. That's a fancy way to say the iPhone isn't 3G. The first volley of iPhone's push email is a deal with Yahoo mail. But pushing corporate email may be more important since smartphones straddle the corporate/consumer divide. As a result, the iPhone may put off potential corporate customers, opines Steve Lidberg in a Pacific Crest Securities research note.

' date='Jan 10 2007, 11:19 AM' post='6181761']

One very critical thing is the battery. Currently, it's built in so unless you live near an Apple store then you are seriously screwed when the battery goes out. Shipping out an IPOD and waiting a week to get it back is one thing but not when it's your phone.
Cingular doens't provide support for their phones anymore? Other providers won't provide support for their phones when they start carrying this phone this summer?

Tool.
Apple owns it not Cingular and from what I've read you will have to deal with Apple, not Cingular regarding issues with the phone.
:nerd: I'm not saying it's certainly not the case but I'd like to see a link as it would be a first if cingular was not supporting a phone that htey carried.

here's another link, again, you may want to contact Apple or Cingular to get a definitive anwer since this isn't a current article but it brings up the points I've made. You can't assume that Iphone will be handled differently than the IPOD but not 100% sure.http://networks.silicon.com/mobile/0,39024...39163768,00.htm

Upwardly Mobile: Why I won't buy an iPhone

Get those wild horses ready - it's not going to happen

By Jo Best

Published: Friday 10 November 2006

Apple may think all iPod users are dying to buy an iPhone - but not Jo Best. Here she explains what she really, really wants from a mobile - and why she doesn't think the Mac maker can deliver it.

Like anyone with a thing for gadgets and gossip, I've been following the various twists and turns in the rumoured Apple iPhone saga with excitement. A mobile phone from the makers of the sexy iPod? How could I not? Patents this, domain registrations that - I've read it all.

But there's no way on earth I'll be raiding my piggybank for one when it eventually comes out - and it will come out, despite the lack of confirmation from Cupertino.

Before any of the Apple loyal start hitting their 'flame reporter' key, I'll tell you why. Just think about what Apple does really well and what it does really, really badly.

Like a lot of people, I own an iPod - and it's a pretty foxy beast - but like a lot of people, my iPod has been back to the shop more times than I care to think about. Hardware durability isn't the strong point of Apple's music devices and I worry the same could be true of the iPhone. I can live without my iPod for a few days while it gets fixed - I can't do the same with my phone.

And what of battery life? My iPod needs charging every day to play music for an hour or two. Heaven forbid the same would happen to my mobile. My iPod - admittedly a couple years old - needs more care and attention to get it through the day than should be necessary. Phones need to just work. Will the iPhone be able to deliver that?

Then there's the DRM, or digital rights management for those that aren't up on that acronym. Apple's DRM is, well, awful. I've spent hours of my life convincing iTunes I should be allowed to play songs I either ripped from lawfully bought CDs or purchased from Apple itself on my laptop or my iPod.

Now imagine this attitude toward content protection (Is Apple protecting me from myself? I wish it wouldn't) applied to all the other content on my phone. I'd rather not.

Rumour has it there will be two variants of the iPhone - a straightforward mobile and a smart phone. That smart phone could store music and videos as well as contact info and Excel, Word and PDF files. I know Apple isn't stupid and probably won't put copy protection on my PIM-type content but I do not trust them in this area and would inspect closely their DRM policy on the iPhone before considering a purchase.

Ready to flame me yet? Well, let's take a look at what Apple does really well. Software for one. iTunes is a great advert for Apple's ability to make software and hardware intuitive and easy to use. I'm a big fan of its Spotlight search technology - it's delightfully painless, as tech should be. If a phone could bring me up a text message or contact I was looking for in the same way iTunes helps me find a song, I'd be a happy bunny indeed.

The company's great with media management too - I have a sneaking suspicion Motorola, Nokia et al would be wise to learn from OS X's approach to managing video, photos and suchlike. And let's not forget the design - an iPhone is going to be a beautiful thing. Nokia, Samsung, RIM and many other handset makers may do functionality, but looks? Nah. Some of their phones should have bags on their metaphorical heads.

I suspect Apple's big idea is to sell the iPhone as a single device for phone and music functionality. But I've got an iPod and a mobile and it hasn't bothered me yet, despite the plethora of phones with built-in music players flooding the market. So still, no iPhone for me.

I'd also like to state for the record that if Microsoft created a Phune (a phone and a Zune in one, geddit?), I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole either but that's a different story.

So let me tell you what I would like. Nokia, come over here. Apple, you stand next to Nokia. Now shake hands. (Can you see where I'm going with this?)

I want a Nokia which runs a mobile version of OS X. I'd really like Nokia to make the iPhone - an N Series for the kids, if you will, an E series for the suits. Nokia's durability and battery life, Apple's intuitive software. It's a marriage made in heaven. And maybe, after the post coital cigarette, RIM could get involved too. Hey, it's just an idea.
Okay. :o Let me know when you post the link that says tha Cingular won't be supporting the iPhone (the one I was asking for).

TIA

:o Not sure if you are aware of this, but it is not due out until June. You've got a few months to figure this out yet.
:nerd:

' date='Jan 10 2007, 12:05 PM' post='6182039']

One very critical thing is the battery. Currently, it's built in so unless you live near an Apple store then you are seriously screwed when the battery goes out. Shipping out an IPOD and waiting a week to get it back is one thing but not when it's your phone.
Cingular doens't provide support for their phones anymore? Other providers won't provide support for their phones when they start carrying this phone this summer?

Tool.
:shrug: I'm not saying it's certainly not the case but I'd like to see a link as it would be a first if cingular was not supporting a phone that htey carried.

here's another link, again, you may want to contact Apple or Cingular to get a definitive anwer since this isn't a current article but it brings up the points I've made. You can't assume that Iphone will be handled differently than the IPOD but not 100% sure.http://networks.silicon.com/mobile/0,39024...39163768,00.htm

By Jo Best

Apple may think all iPod users are dying to buy an iPhone - but not Jo Best. Here she explains what she really, really wants from a mobile - and why she doesn't think the Mac maker can deliver it.

Like anyone with a thing for gadgets and gossip, I've been following the various twists and turns in the rumoured Apple iPhone saga with excitement. A mobile phone from the makers of the sexy iPod? How could I not? Patents this, domain registrations that - I've read it all.

But there's no way on earth I'll be raiding my piggybank for one when it eventually comes out - and it will come out, despite the lack of confirmation from Cupertino.

Before any of the Apple loyal start hitting their 'flame reporter' key, I'll tell you why. Just think about what Apple does really well and what it does really, really badly.

Like a lot of people, I own an iPod - and it's a pretty foxy beast - but like a lot of people, my iPod has been back to the shop more times than I care to think about. Hardware durability isn't the strong point of Apple's music devices and I worry the same could be true of the iPhone. I can live without my iPod for a few days while it gets fixed - I can't do the same with my phone.

And what of battery life? My iPod needs charging every day to play music for an hour or two. Heaven forbid the same would happen to my mobile. My iPod - admittedly a couple years old - needs more care and attention to get it through the day than should be necessary. Phones need to just work. Will the iPhone be able to deliver that?

Then there's the DRM, or digital rights management for those that aren't up on that acronym. Apple's DRM is, well, awful. I've spent hours of my life convincing iTunes I should be allowed to play songs I either ripped from lawfully bought CDs or purchased from Apple itself on my laptop or my iPod.

Now imagine this attitude toward content protection (Is Apple protecting me from myself? I wish it wouldn't) applied to all the other content on my phone. I'd rather not.

Rumour has it there will be two variants of the iPhone - a straightforward mobile and a smart phone. That smart phone could store music and videos as well as contact info and Excel, Word and PDF files. I know Apple isn't stupid and probably won't put copy protection on my PIM-type content but I do not trust them in this area and would inspect closely their DRM policy on the iPhone before considering a purchase.

Ready to flame me yet? Well, let's take a look at what Apple does really well. Software for one. iTunes is a great advert for Apple's ability to make software and hardware intuitive and easy to use. I'm a big fan of its Spotlight search technology - it's delightfully painless, as tech should be. If a phone could bring me up a text message or contact I was looking for in the same way iTunes helps me find a song, I'd be a happy bunny indeed.

The company's great with media management too - I have a sneaking suspicion Motorola, Nokia et al would be wise to learn from OS X's approach to managing video, photos and suchlike. And let's not forget the design - an iPhone is going to be a beautiful thing. Nokia, Samsung, RIM and many other handset makers may do functionality, but looks? Nah. Some of their phones should have bags on their metaphorical heads.

I suspect Apple's big idea is to sell the iPhone as a single device for phone and music functionality. But I've got an iPod and a mobile and it hasn't bothered me yet, despite the plethora of phones with built-in music players flooding the market. So still, no iPhone for me.

I'd also like to state for the record that if Microsoft created a Phune (a phone and a Zune in one, geddit?), I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole either but that's a different story.

So let me tell you what I would like. Nokia, come over here. Apple, you stand next to Nokia. Now shake hands. (Can you see where I'm going with this?)

I want a Nokia which runs a mobile version of OS X. I'd really like Nokia to make the iPhone - an N Series for the kids, if you will, an E series for the suits. Nokia's durability and battery life, Apple's intuitive software. It's a marriage made in heaven. And maybe, after the post coital cigarette, RIM could get involved too. Hey, it's just an idea.
Okay. :banned: Let me know when you post the link that says tha Cingular won't be supporting the iPhone (the one I was asking for).

TIA
:banned: As I've told you twice now, go back and look at my original link. I guess you don't bother to read what I post so here it is

http://apcstart.com/4965/top_10_things_to_...bout_the_iphone

3. Built-in battery: It must be the only mobile phone on the market that doesn't have an easily user-replaceable battery. We know from the iPod that batteries age pretty quickly, but who wants to send their phone back to Apple for servicing when it needs a new battery? I don't want to have to go back to my dowdy old Nokia while Apple swaps the battery. That's a major flaw.

That's what I've read, is it true? As I also followed up by calling Cingular don't know yet.

YWIA

According to this link, very slowhttp://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=4263

IPHONE neglects the prosumer

What's the big deal? The iPhone has non-corporate-grade e-mail functionality and Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution (EDGE) rather than High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) wireless Internet. That's a fancy way to say the iPhone isn't 3G. The first volley of iPhone's push email is a deal with Yahoo mail. But pushing corporate email may be more important since smartphones straddle the corporate/consumer divide. As a result, the iPhone may put off potential corporate customers, opines Steve Lidberg in a Pacific Crest Securities research note.
That's a major flaw then for me. :banned:

Tool.
:link: I'm not saying it's certainly not the case but I'd like to see a link as it would be a first if cingular was not supporting a phone that htey carried.

By Jo Best

Okay. :banned: Let me know when you post the link that says tha Cingular won't be supporting the iPhone (the one I was asking for).

TIA
:banned: As I've told you twice now, go back and look at my original link. I guess you don't bother to read what I post so here it is

3. Built-in battery: It must be the only mobile phone on the market that doesn't have an easily user-replaceable battery. We know from the iPod that batteries age pretty quickly, but who wants to send their phone back to Apple for servicing when it needs a new battery? I don't want to have to go back to my dowdy old Nokia while Apple swaps the battery. That's a major flaw.

That's what I've read, is it true? As I also followed up by calling Cingular don't know yet.

YWIA
:shrug: @ citing (repeatedly) an blog post who's sole purpose is to attack the product. There is NOTHING factual about is random and completely unfounded assumption. :) You are seriously moving into the lead as the biggest hack/tool on the boards... well done. I thought LHUCKS was gonna hold that one down forever

One said:
Having RKMoney on ignore = Priceless
Thanks for the reminder. I decided it was time as well.
x3also shot a post to the mods complaining about a troll for the first time in my many years on these forums. I'd suggest others do so as well... it would be nice to have an Apple product thread that wasnt' completely taken over by RKMoney's idiocy. He's been the leading poster in every significant Mac thread lately.... and he's been posting absolute jibberish Lame that the mods have let it get this far.... guy needs to be clipped.

' date='Jan 10 2007, 12:13 PM' post='6182105']

Tool.
:link: I'm not saying it's certainly not the case but I'd like to see a link as it would be a first if cingular was not supporting a phone that htey carried.

By Jo Best

Okay. :blackdot: Let me know when you post the link that says tha Cingular won't be supporting the iPhone (the one I was asking for).

TIA
:thumbup: As I've told you twice now, go back and look at my original link. I guess you don't bother to read what I post so here it is

YWIA
:shrug: @ citing (repeatedly) an blog post who's sole purpose is to attack the product. There is NOTHING factual about is random and completely unfounded assumption. :blush: You are seriously moving into the lead as the biggest hack/tool on the boards... well done. I thought LHUCKS was gonna hold that one down forever
Calm down. I posted this and backed it up with saying that nobody knows if this is 100% true, nobody does but it brings up a very strong point. You then said I never read it anywhere and to provide you a link to where I read it and I did. THEN you said it's not credible. Whatever. You are acting like the tool here. Don't imply that someone didn't read anything and made it up and ask for a link for proof and when said link is sent then don't rip the source. Take your pills and relax.ETA: And if you bothered to read the link, look at the end, he still TOUTS APPLE! So, again, this wasn't a rip piece just one that shows the flaws, he's an apple supporter:

An addendum: Do I want one of these? You bet! Is it one of the most technologically advanced phones on the market? Absolutely. Do we live in a perfect world? Of course not. Do I wish Apple had reconsidered a few aspects of the iPhone to make it even better? Yep.

Last edited by a moderator:
' date='Jan 10 2007, 12:16 PM' post='6182128']

One said:
Having RKMoney on ignore = Priceless
Thanks for the reminder. I decided it was time as well.
x3also shot a post to the mods complaining about a troll for the first time in my many years on these forums. I'd suggest others do so as well... it would be nice to have an Apple product thread that wasnt' completely taken over by RKMoney's idiocy. He's been the leading poster in every significant Mac thread lately.... and he's been posting absolute jibberish Lame that the mods have let it get this far.... guy needs to be clipped.
Icon, nowhere did I make up stuff, in fact the link i sent was pro apple. If I am going to get clipped only because I listed the flaws or potential flaws of a product then clip me.Go back and please read the link this time and read the end, again, he said he will still buy the phone.

' date='Jan 10 2007, 09:13 AM' post='6182105']

:banned:

As I've told you twice now, go back and look at my original link. I guess you don't bother to read what I post so here it is

YWIA
:shrug: @ citing (repeatedly) an blog post who's sole purpose is to attack the product. There is NOTHING factual about is random and completely unfounded assumption. :bag: You are seriously moving into the lead as the biggest hack/tool on the boards... well done. I thought LHUCKS was gonna hold that one down forever
:shrug: RKM has added nothing to this thread. Find a neutral site that doesn't scream "I HAVE AN AXE TO GRIND" and start posting links from it, and I might take you seriously.

Any more thought on how the phone will synch with MS Outlook from my desktop?J
J,If I had to gamble I would currently say no. I base that on the fact that that's an important feature and Jobs would mention the phone could do that. If you read the link I posted in a previous message you will see that unlike Blackberry (and assume Trio) you aren't going to get real time e-mail on the IPhone. I don't know about you but if I am using a device to tract e-mail I want it real time, not "wait every x amount of minutes to see if new e-mail has come in".
Joe:Question -- would I be walking a fine line on a possible time-out if I were to call another poster an idiot?Again, this is just a question.TIA

' date='Jan 10 2007, 09:13 AM' post='6182105']

:banned:

As I've told you twice now, go back and look at my original link. I guess you don't bother to read what I post so here it is

YWIA
:shrug: @ citing (repeatedly) an blog post who's sole purpose is to attack the product. There is NOTHING factual about is random and completely unfounded assumption. :bag: You are seriously moving into the lead as the biggest hack/tool on the boards... well done. I thought LHUCKS was gonna hold that one down forever
:shrug: RKM has added nothing to this thread. Find a neutral site that doesn't scream "I HAVE AN AXE TO GRIND" and start posting links from it, and I might take you seriously.
I think I've added a lot and listed links that were pro apple in fact. I wish you would actually read it before making comments though. Heck, do a google search and read up if you don't believe me.

The price to get one is steep but how much will it cost on a monthly basis once you add in the internet connectivity and any other charges for additional services. Any one have all the gadgets on their phone now that can tell me what it costs? All I do is make phone calls on mine and I already pay $60 a month.
I have a Q with Verizon. It's also using the polling data method for email, so data usage rates would be similar (and Verizon's EVDO network is better than EDGE so you'd think they would at least charge as much). I have calls and unlimited data for $80/month. I don't have the most minutes on calls, though, as I don't need it. I'd think voice and data for a true business customer would top out at $100/month.

I think I've added a lot and listed links that were pro apple in fact. I wish you would actually read it before making comments though. Heck, do a google search and read up if you don't believe me.
The main anti I-phone link you posted is problematic because it contains a completely ludicrous statement about Apple's DRM. Again, I'm not an Apple advocate. I gave up my Ipod for a Creative Zen Vision M, but who can't play songs that they've "ripped from CD and purchased from Apple on their laptop and Ipod?"The only thing Ipods can't play are WMAs that are protected by other DRM schemes. I don't even know what that guy is talking about there.

The price to get one is steep but how much will it cost on a monthly basis once you add in the internet connectivity and any other charges for additional services. Any one have all the gadgets on their phone now that can tell me what it costs? All I do is make phone calls on mine and I already pay $60 a month.
I have a Q with Verizon. It's also using the polling data method for email, so data usage rates would be similar (and Verizon's EVDO network is better than EDGE so you'd think they would at least charge as much). I have calls and unlimited data for $80/month. I don't have the most minutes on calls, though, as I don't need it. I'd think voice and data for a true business customer would top out at $100/month.
Are you happy with the Q keyboard? I'm on the fence between this and the enV, and the keyboard on the enV looks a little better.

Are you happy with the Q keyboard? I'm on the fence between this and the enV, and the keyboard on the enV looks a little better.
The keyboard is fine for my use. It's not the absolute best, but I can do emails and stuff on it. One problem is that the OS doesn't support copy/paste functionality. That's annoying. There's a third party app that adds it, but in kind of a clunky way. The biggest drawback to the Q is the battery life. But it's only $99.

I think RK is right on the potential pain in the ### of the battery issue. You guys can't tell me that it's better to have to go into the store, even if it's a Cingular store and have them take apart your phone to put in a new battery.

I don't know about you guys, but the less people need to take apart my device the better.

I think RK is right on the potential pain in the ### of the battery issue. You guys can't tell me that it's better to have to go into the store, even if it's a Cingular store and have them take apart your phone to put in a new battery.I don't know about you guys, but the less people need to take apart my device the better.
I have owned cell phones since oh, about when they came out with the Motorola flip phone....I have NEVER had a battery die on me. When is this an issue? What kind of crap phones do people buy that the battery dies on them?

I think RK is right on the potential pain in the ### of the battery issue. You guys can't tell me that it's better to have to go into the store, even if it's a Cingular store and have them take apart your phone to put in a new battery.I don't know about you guys, but the less people need to take apart my device the better.
I have owned cell phones since oh, about when they came out with the Motorola flip phone....I have NEVER had a battery die on me. When is this an issue? What kind of crap phones do people buy that the battery dies on them?
I think it is being brought up b/c ipod has had alot of problems with their batteries....and this is Apples first delve into phones.

:goodposting: Apples 2nd generation iPods had some battery issues where limited lifespan was a concern. This has been fixed long ago and is no longer an issue. When was the last time you heard about an epidemic of Nanos needing to be taken apart to replace the batteries?Again.. the phone will most likely be "warrantied" by cingular just like any other phone.... if you have a problem with anything, bring it in and it will be fixed/replaced. The odds of there being battery problems on this phone are slim to none, however, as Apple has worked out the old issues.

I think it is being brought up b/c ipod has had alot of problems with their batteries....and this is Apples first delve into phones.
Apple had problems with thier batteries several generations of units ago. This phone will likely use current technology that has been refined and has proven quite robust.

5 Hours talk time is if you get on the phone at say 6 and talk to your Julie til 11. I use my cell at work a ton, but I don't think I'll have any issues whatsoever given 5 hrs. (Especially since I'm used to being an Blackberry user. You HAVE TO give it a nightly re-charge.)My gripe with Apple's past iPod batteries come from the way the start off great, but those usage hours after a full charge lessen and lessen as the weeks go by.

' date='Jan 10 2007, 10:50 AM' post='6182780']

Apple had problems with thier batteries several generations of units ago. This phone will likely use current technology that has been refined and has proven quite robust.
I have a G1 & and a G3 ipod. (& a bunch of Nano's) That's probably my problem.. old battery tech.

One said:
I have a G1 & and a G3 ipod. (& a bunch of Nano's) That's probably my problem.. old battery tech.
Out of curiosity, have you had any battery issues with your Nanos? Becasue the iPhone is flash-based, like the Nano, not HD-based like the G1 & G3 iPods.

One said:
Out of curiosity, have you had any battery issues with your Nanos? Becasue the iPhone is flash-based, like the Nano, not HD-based like the G1 & G3 iPods.
good point. no, i have not had any problems with my flash-based iPods, just the HD based iPods.

_4_ said:
Foosball God said:
Some people that use their phones a lot, or have phones that are battery intensive like to have a second battery so they can swap it out if their battery dies. There is also Apple's poor history on battery performance. Granted, they have gotten better, but it just seems stupid not to have the battery user removable.

I should also add that I'm not bagging on the iPhone as a whole. It sounds like it will be incredible, but it does seem like this (the battery) is a dumb idea

the biggest deterrent to me getting this phone is Cingular's notoriously bad customer service on new (expensive) models, they refuse to sell insurance on the bleeding edge premium models - so if you break it - good luck getting it fixed.

I should also add that I'm not bagging on the iPhone as a whole. It sounds like it will be incredible, but it does seem like this (the battery) is a dumb idea
My 1st generation Treo (600) had a permanent battery. Never had a problem with it...and I use the phone and internet a lot.

I'm also wondering about fingerprints on that screen. That looks like a gorgeous and shiny screen. I would think that using your fingers to input stuff would leave it covered in smeared prints. My wife's Nano is awful about picking up greasy fingerprints.
From the NYTimes:
Apple went through numerous iterations of the glass surface, trying to find one that’s not too slick or too rough, or that shows grease and fingerprints too much. You still get finger streaks, but they’re relatively subtle and a quick wipe on your sleeve takes care of them.

My 1st generation Treo (600) had a permanent battery. Never had a problem with it...and I use the phone and internet a lot.
G3 iPhone coming.LINK
I can't talk because I'll probably have one early too but the fact we as a society will gawk at pictures of guys gawking and taking pictures of a phone on display in a glass case complete with a security guard just strikes me as :tinfoilhat: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/macworld2007/ex...hone-227486.php

J

the biggest deterrent to me getting this phone is Cingular's notoriously bad customer service on new (expensive) models, they refuse to sell insurance on the bleeding edge premium models - so if you break it - good luck getting it fixed.
:lmao: When razors were new, I broke mine and they replaced it with a piece of #### phone that wasn't worth the monthly insurance premium.

Looks like Apple decided to ask forgiveness rather than permission to use the name:

Link

Cisco hits Apple with lawsuit over iPhone

Last Update: 7:58 PM ET Jan 10, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Cisco Systems Inc. on Wednesday sued Apple Inc., claiming that the maker of computers and media players doesn't have permission to name its newest device the iPhone.

Cisco has owned the trademark for "iPhone" since 2000, the result of its purchase of InfoGear, which owned the trademark previously. Since December, Cisco's wireless division, Linksys, has been shipping a family of cordless and wireless phones under the iPhone brand.

"We think Cisco's trademark lawsuit is silly," said Natalie Kerris, an Apple spokeswoman.

Several companies already use the name "iPhone" for Voice-over-Internet products, Kerris said.

"Apple is the first company to ever use the 'iPhone' name for a cell phone," she said. "We believe that Cisco's trademark registration is tenuous at best."

Kerris added: "If Cisco wants to challenge us on it, we are very confident we would prevail."

Late Wednesday, Cisco asked a U.S. district judge for Northern California to order Apple not to use the name for a device that it introduced on Tuesday during an annual trade show.

Apple intends to begin selling its iPhone sometime in June, which provides a five-month cushion for both sides to reach some kind of settlement. Should that not happen, the suit could impact sales of the device.

The lawsuit follows years of negotiations between the two companies, which continued even as Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs was introducing the iPhone Tuesday during the Macworld show in San Francisco.

Cisco took the iPhone's introduction as a sign that Apple had agreed to Cisco's terms for use of the trademark. In a statement issued Tuesday, Cisco said that it suspected Apple had agreed to terms, and was expecting to hear from the company later that day.

But the paperwork never arrived, a Cisco spokesman said Wednesday.

"Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco's iPhone name," Mark Chandler, Cisco's senior vice president and general counsel, said in a statement. "There is no doubt that Apple's new phone is very exciting, but they should not be using our trademark without permission."

Ben Charny is a MarketWatch reporter based in San Francisco.

Looks like Apple decided to ask forgiveness rather than permission to use the name:

Link

Cisco hits Apple with lawsuit over iPhone

Last Update: 7:58 PM ET Jan 10, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Cisco Systems Inc. on Wednesday sued Apple Inc., claiming that the maker of computers and media players doesn't have permission to name its newest device the iPhone.

Cisco has owned the trademark for "iPhone" since 2000, the result of its purchase of InfoGear, which owned the trademark previously. Since December, Cisco's wireless division, Linksys, has been shipping a family of cordless and wireless phones under the iPhone brand.

"We think Cisco's trademark lawsuit is silly," said Natalie Kerris, an Apple spokeswoman.

Several companies already use the name "iPhone" for Voice-over-Internet products, Kerris said.

"Apple is the first company to ever use the 'iPhone' name for a cell phone," she said. "We believe that Cisco's trademark registration is tenuous at best."

Kerris added: "If Cisco wants to challenge us on it, we are very confident we would prevail."

Late Wednesday, Cisco asked a U.S. district judge for Northern California to order Apple not to use the name for a device that it introduced on Tuesday during an annual trade show.

Apple intends to begin selling its iPhone sometime in June, which provides a five-month cushion for both sides to reach some kind of settlement. Should that not happen, the suit could impact sales of the device.

The lawsuit follows years of negotiations between the two companies, which continued even as Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs was introducing the iPhone Tuesday during the Macworld show in San Francisco.

Cisco took the iPhone's introduction as a sign that Apple had agreed to Cisco's terms for use of the trademark. In a statement issued Tuesday, Cisco said that it suspected Apple had agreed to terms, and was expecting to hear from the company later that day.

But the paperwork never arrived, a Cisco spokesman said Wednesday.

"Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco's iPhone name," Mark Chandler, Cisco's senior vice president and general counsel, said in a statement. "There is no doubt that Apple's new phone is very exciting, but they should not be using our trademark without permission."

Ben Charny is a MarketWatch reporter based in San Francisco.
I don't know a lot about trademarking, but I just don't see how Apple has a case here. If somebody came along and made an MP3 player called the "iPod", they'd be eaten up by Apple's pack of lawyers.

Users who are viewing this thread