What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (1 Viewer)

I ran 9 miles this morning in 1:31:59, a 10:13 pace. ... I wanted to have a nice easy run after competing yesterday.
Listen to you, man! Amazing how far you've come.
If anyone is any good at analyzing running style when the runner is coming right at you, I could use the advise.

Video Link

TIA
Darrin, you look like you're rather back on your heels, with the body very upright and the elbows throwing the weight back. If that is in fact what I'm seeing, then you might want to work on a more forward-focused style to enjoy further improvement ...lean the chest and shoulders forward a bit, and see if you can shorten the heel strike ...relax the arms a bit and see if you can use them to help push forward more. It'd be good to do some occasional training where you incorporate short bursts. Maybe start at a walk and accelerate into a hard pace, or (carefully) run/spring on the balls of your feet to get that feel. I can't tell how long your stride is, but explore that too - you can also do some work that exaggerates a long stride to again get that feel. It's almost counter-intuitive to think we can run better by slowing the pace but lengthening the stride, but some of that effect can be beneficial. Random thoughts, here. You've had a great year and I know you'll continue to improve!

I figured what the hell, I haven't been shot down or blown off today and it was already approaching noon.
That's almost sig worthy. :thumbup: Nice digression on her riding shorts.
mmmm. Great ride, and description BnB!!!I'm back in the saddle (literally)! I had my first "real" bike ride this morning in just over a month (by real, I mean at my pace, not my 5 year old daughter's). For the first 6 miles I was flying (averaging 22.3 mph), and I was shocked. That section of the ride is almost always into the wind, and I unfortunately assumed the same today. It was directly WITH the wind = not so fast at all :ptts: . My turn at the sixth mile let me know quickly that the wind was not in the direction I thought it was. I completed the last ten miles, taking it very easy, and ended up averaging 20.4 mph. I was ecstatic with how I felt, and my legs still feel great.

To get my butt going, I've signed-up for my first ever bike race. It's a 100k in Round Rock, TX in two weeks. I'll be riding it w/ my neighbor = we'll be going pretty slow, but we should have a blast. It also looks like I'll be riding in this year's MS 150 from Houston to Austin next April. I'll know for sure tonight when Mrs. Liquors gets back from class (her internship is that week, and she needs to ensure that she won't have to work that weekend) :fingerscrossed:.

I'm also getting ready to slowly start running again. I'd like to try to be ready for the Houston Marathon (mid-January), but realistically should try to hold back and try for Austin (Mid-February). With my recent injuries, both seem out of my reach (ALL of my injuries have occurred during training for long runs, as I attempt to increase speed). Hopefully Chi-Running and a new mind-set to just finish (to hell with speed!) will work for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured what the hell, I haven't been shot down or blown off today and it was already approaching noon.
That's almost sig worthy. :yes: Nice digression on her riding shorts.
mmmm. Great ride, and description BnB!!!I'm back in the saddle (literally)! I had my first "real" bike ride this morning in just over a month (by real, I mean at my pace, not my 5 year old daughter's). For the first 6 miles I was flying (averaging 22.3 mph), and I was shocked. That section of the ride is almost always into the wind, and I unfortunately assumed the same today. It was directly WITH the wind = not so fast at all :wall: . My turn at the sixth mile let me know quickly that the wind was not in the direction I thought it was. I completed the last ten miles, taking it very easy, and ended up averaging 20.4 mph. I was ecstatic with how I felt, and my legs still feel great.

To get my butt going, I've signed-up for my first ever bike race. It's a 100k in Round Rock, TX in two weeks. I'll be riding it w/ my neighbor = we'll be going pretty slow, but we should have a blast. It also looks like I'll be riding in this year's MS 150 from Houston to Austin next April. I'll know for sure tonight when Mrs. Liquors gets back from class (her internship is that week, and she needs to ensure that she won't have to work that weekend) :fingerscrossed:.

I'm also getting ready to slowly start running again. I'd like to try to be ready for the Houston Marathon (mid-January), but realistically should try to hold back and try for Austin (Mid-February). With my recent injuries, both seem out of my reach (ALL of my injuries have occurred during training for long runs, as I attempt to increase speed). Hopefully Chi-Running and a new mind-set to just finish (to hell with speed!) will work for me.
That's a strong ride coming off the break.

Darrin, you look like you're rather back on your heels, with the body very upright and the elbows throwing the weight back. If that is in fact what I'm seeing, then you might want to work on a more forward-focused style to enjoy further improvement ...lean the chest and shoulders forward a bit, and see if you can shorten the heel strike ...relax the arms a bit and see if you can use them to help push forward more. It'd be good to do some occasional training where you incorporate short bursts. Maybe start at a walk and accelerate into a hard pace, or (carefully) run/spring on the balls of your feet to get that feel. I can't tell how long your stride is, but explore that too - you can also do some work that exaggerates a long stride to again get that feel. It's almost counter-intuitive to think we can run better by slowing the pace but lengthening the stride, but some of that effect can be beneficial. Random thoughts, here. You've had a great year and I know you'll continue to improve!
any opinions on how to have good posture but a little forward body-lean?i find myself almost running up and down rather than moving forward. my posture seems fine but sometimes it feels like i'm exerting a lot of energy w/o going forward.

any opinions on how to have good posture but a little forward body-lean?i find myself almost running up and down rather than moving forward. my posture seems fine but sometimes it feels like i'm exerting a lot of energy w/o going forward.
Read Chi Running. They train you to work on posture, and use your forward lean to propel you forward, while relaxing virtually every muscle in your body. Instead of pushing off with your feet (stressing the calves) you lift your legs up, while focusing on not flexing the muscles in the leg. I'll finish the book by the middle of next week, and will hopefully be able to change the way I've been running for the last 25+ years.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-7...hi_tab01_layout

1 dies in heat-shortened marathon

302 runners hospitalized, officials say

By Josh Noel, Shannon Ryan and Neil Milbert | Tribune staff reporters

3:12 PM CDT, October 7, 2007

Update: 1 runner has died, the Cook County Medical Examiner's office has confirmed. More details to come.

With temperatures soaring to 88 degrees Sunday, city and race officials closed the LaSalle Bank Marathon course at the halfway point at about 11:30 a.m.--three and a half hours after the start.

Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford said 302 runners were hospitalized with what he described as heat-related conditions. In a 2 p.m. briefing, Langford said most of the cases weren't considered serious.

Marathon officials estimate about 4,000 runners out of the original 36,000 finished the full distance. It was the hottest day in the 30-year history of Chicago's marathon.

The news of the race's early ending was met with disappointment and relief as many had succumbed to the heat.

"It's a blessing, man," said Nestor Benanidez, 40, of Maryland. "I'd have liked the opportunity but it's brutally hot." Benanidez, who trained 18 weeks for his first marathon, said he had already started walking when the race was called.

"Why did they cancel it at Mile 20? Couldn't they cancel it at Mile 5," said Arzu Karimova, 28, a market researcher from Chicago. "I put my entire summer into this. My entire marathon is gone. I'll never have another first marathon experience."

At around 12:10 p.m., near the 20-mile marker at Halsted Street and Cermak Avenues, a Chicago firefighter announced over a public address system: "Attention runners, the marathon has been canceled. You can stop running, now."

Runners' efforts were applauded with a sporadic "good job" as another firefighter stood in the middle of the street hosing down participants.

Most people heeded the advice but a few stubborn runners continued down Archer Avenue, which was littered with cups, water, sponges and bottles. The fire hydrants along the route were also open.

The decision to halt the marathon was based on the slow times of runners. Those who had passed the halfway point around noon were permitted to continue and had access to all aid stations and medical assistance.

Some runners said there were problems with water and fluids at the race stations, but others said water wasn't a problem. It was just the heat.

"I'm a school teacher. I don't like dropping out," said Joan Berman, 70, of Ann Arbor, Mich., who called it quits at the 8-mile mark. "But I know when to have to take a recess."

Berman has run 17 marathons, seven in Chicago, all since turning 60.

I wanted to also add, that the lean does NOT come from the waist, it comes from the angle of your foot, while maintaining good posture. A great example in the book is to have you walk in place with good posture for ten seconds, then immediately walk in place while bending at the waist. With good posture your psoas muscle is flexed, and works like a rubber band to lift your leg, while with bad posture it is not activated = you have to use the large muscles of the leg to lift your leg.

"Why did they cancel it at Mile 20? Couldn't they cancel it at Mile 5," said Arzu Karimova, 28, a market researcher from Chicago. "I put my entire summer into this. My entire marathon is gone. I'll never have another first marathon experience."
:goodposting:It's too hot.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-7...hi_tab01_layout

1 dies in heat-shortened marathon

302 runners hospitalized, officials say

By Josh Noel, Shannon Ryan and Neil Milbert | Tribune staff reporters

3:12 PM CDT, October 7, 2007

Update: 1 runner has died, the Cook County Medical Examiner's office has confirmed. More details to come.

With temperatures soaring to 88 degrees Sunday, city and race officials closed the LaSalle Bank Marathon course at the halfway point at about 11:30 a.m.--three and a half hours after the start.

Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford said 302 runners were hospitalized with what he described as heat-related conditions. In a 2 p.m. briefing, Langford said most of the cases weren't considered serious.

Marathon officials estimate about 4,000 runners out of the original 36,000 finished the full distance. It was the hottest day in the 30-year history of Chicago's marathon.

The news of the race's early ending was met with disappointment and relief as many had succumbed to the heat.

"It's a blessing, man," said Nestor Benanidez, 40, of Maryland. "I'd have liked the opportunity but it's brutally hot." Benanidez, who trained 18 weeks for his first marathon, said he had already started walking when the race was called.

At around 12:10 p.m., near the 20-mile marker at Halsted Street and Cermak Avenues, a Chicago firefighter announced over a public address system: "Attention runners, the marathon has been canceled. You can stop running, now."

Runners' efforts were applauded with a sporadic "good job" as another firefighter stood in the middle of the street hosing down participants.

Most people heeded the advice but a few stubborn runners continued down Archer Avenue, which was littered with cups, water, sponges and bottles. The fire hydrants along the route were also open.

The decision to halt the marathon was based on the slow times of runners. Those who had passed the halfway point around noon were permitted to continue and had access to all aid stations and medical assistance.

Some runners said there were problems with water and fluids at the race stations, but others said water wasn't a problem. It was just the heat.

"I'm a school teacher. I don't like dropping out," said Joan Berman, 70, of Ann Arbor, Mich., who called it quits at the 8-mile mark. "But I know when to have to take a recess."

Berman has run 17 marathons, seven in Chicago, all since turning 60.
:shock: ummmmm... :shrug: ... Rusty?

I ran 8 miles today here in Madison, WI, and the entire time I was thinking about those who were running marathons either in Milwaukee or Chicago. It was WAY too hot in this area to run 26.2 today. I'm nursing what I call a "heat headache" after running less than 1/3 of a marathon at an easy pace.

As I was catching up on the posts from yesterday, I was reminded to post one more thing to Rusty, to take an ice bath after his marathon, if he hadn't done so already.

After reading the cancellation story, I suppose that's a moot point, unless he was one of the faster ones. We await your race report bud. :shrug:

Humidity sucks. Started my 10-miler in Minneapolis at 7:10 this morning, and by the time I'd finished around 8:30, the heat index was already up over 100 degrees.

Coming into the race, my goal was to finish under 1:10 (7:00 pace), but I pretty much abandoned that goal the minute I stepped out of my hotel this morning. Nevertheless, I felt pretty good, so I figured I'd give it a shot anyway. Gun went off promptly at 7:10 AM, and by the time I climbed the hill between miles 2 & 3, I was already feeling the effects of the heat. Of course, the first water station wasn't until after the 3-mile marker, which didn't help anything either. In any case, managed to stay on pace through 4 miles (28:03 split), but the 5th mile was rough (7:32). I knew that I needed to get a full cup of Powerade, so I took 30 seconds and walked through the water station after mile 5, and that seemed to help a little bit. I finished mile 6 in 8:00 and then stopped again around mile 7 for another water station and clocked 8:14. At this point, the slower pace and the added hydration really started to help, and I averaged 7:15 for the last 3 miles, including 6:35 for the last mile.

Total time was 1:13:37, quite a bit slower than my goal time, but considering the circumstances, I'll take it!

Edit to say that I was #240 out of 5,083 overall finishers (top 5%), 32 out of 369 in my age group, and 197 out of 2015 men.

I ran 9 miles this morning in 1:31:59, a 10:13 pace. ... I wanted to have a nice easy run after competing yesterday.
If anyone is any good at analyzing running style when the runner is coming right at you, I could use the advise.

Video Link

TIA
This is easier said than learned. I have tried to lean from the ankles, but I have not yet figured out how.

Humidity sucks. Started my 10-miler in Minneapolis at 7:10 this morning, and by the time I'd finished around 8:30, the heat index was already up over 100 degrees.

Coming into the race, my goal was to finish under 1:10 (7:00 pace), but I pretty much abandoned that goal the minute I stepped out of my hotel this morning. Nevertheless, I felt pretty good, so I figured I'd give it a shot anyway. Gun went off promptly at 7:10 AM, and by the time I climbed the hill between miles 2 & 3, I was already feeling the effects of the heat. Of course, the first water station wasn't until after the 3-mile marker, which didn't help anything either. In any case, managed to stay on pace through 4 miles (28:03 split), but the 5th mile was rough (7:32). I knew that I needed to get a full cup of Powerade, so I took 30 seconds and walked through the water station after mile 5, and that seemed to help a little bit. I finished mile 6 in 8:00 and then stopped again around mile 7 for another water station and clocked 8:14. At this point, the slower pace and the added hydration really started to help, and I averaged 7:15 for the last 3 miles, including 6:35 for the last mile.

Total time was 1:13:37, quite a bit slower than my goal time, but considering the circumstances, I'll take it!

Edit to say that I was #240 out of 5,083 overall finishers (top 5%), 32 out of 369 in my age group, and 197 out of 2015 men.
This unseasonably warm weather is everywhere right now. Sounds like you had a good race though. I am cinsidering walking through several drink stations in my 10 miler next month.

Congrats on the completion, and even though you missed your goal time, it was only by a few minutes.

Read Chi Running. They train you to work on posture, and use your forward lean to propel you forward, while relaxing virtually every muscle in your body. Instead of pushing off with your feet (stressing the calves) you lift your legs up, while focusing on not flexing the muscles in the leg. I'll finish the book by the middle of next week, and will hopefully be able to change the way I've been running for the last 25+ years.
My wife went out and bought this book for me this afternoon. I am hoping that I will learn something that helps with my running.

I read that 10,000 of the 45,000 Chicago registrants didn't even start the race!

The runner that died was a 35 year old from Michigan (not Rusty, therefore).

Crazy. I'm sure this was incredibly frustrating for so many people that committed so much time to prepare for this.

I'll add a thought from another book I read and mentioned here long ago. It was mentioned to imagine yourself on a scooter, pushing off with the foot. The idea is to use your stride to propel forward, whereas many strides actually brake a little on each step.

I'll add a thought from another book I read and mentioned here long ago. It was mentioned to imagine yourself on a scooter, pushing off with the foot. The idea is to use your stride to propel forward, whereas many strides actually brake a little on each step.
I have been trying to push off with each step. Maybe I should get some video from a different angle, and maybe not from the end of a race.

My wife went out and bought this book for me this afternoon. I am hoping that I will learn something that helps with my running.
No wonder she was gone so long :lmao: I'll take a read of that once you are done with it - tho personally I tend to think your running action is what it is and it's very hard to change it into something unnatural (for you). :2cents:

gruecd said:
Humidity sucks.
NO KIDDING!!Great race under the conditions, by the way. I ran a ten miler back in August in similar conditions and the medical tent was overflowing. The conditions trashed my feet. DANG HOT here in Detroit too. Did 9 miles in 1:22 today as my last long run prior to the 1/2. I cheated a bit as I turned at the house and took my time a bit too put a cool towel on ym bald noggin to cool down. I am not a big guy at all and I dropped 2.5 lbs on the run, even with taking water at the 4.5 mile mark. While I hate to see the warm weather go, I'll take the 55 degrees predicted in the long term forecast on 10/21. And, I have to plug the Shot Blocks AGAIN. I popped a Margarita to avoid cramping along with a lemon/lime and had no ill effects from the run. In fact, I went right from to the run to standing at Lowes selling popcorn with the Cub Scouts for 2 hours. I did the EAS race recovery after too.

Darrinll40 said:
SteveUK said:
Darrinll40 said:
No wonder she was gone so long :popcorn: I'll take a read of that once you are done with it - tho personally I tend to think your running action is what it is and it's very hard to change it into something unnatural (for you). :2cents:
She went after you guys went home.
You mean you made her go out AGAIN :popcorn:

tri-man 47 said:
I read that 10,000 of the 45,000 Chicago registrants didn't even start the race!

Crazy. I'm sure this was incredibly frustrating for so many people that committed so much time to prepare for this.
That is crazy. I was talking to my sister this morning about what I would've done if I'd been signed up for the marathon instead of the 10-miler. At first, I was thinking that I would've just skipped it altogether, but then I thought maybe I would've gone ahead and done it, but that I would've slowed my pace way down, walked through all of the water stations, etc.

tri-man 47 said:

That is crazy. I was talking to my sister this morning about what I would've done if I'd been signed up for the marathon instead of the 10-miler. At first, I was thinking that I would've just skipped it altogether, but then I thought maybe I would've gone ahead and done it, but that I would've slowed my pace way down, walked through all of the water stations, etc.
Nice work, gruecd- even my non-13m run was rough in the heat/humidity we had here- can't imagine what you guys were going through.So I don't know which would be worse- being one of those 10,000 non-starting runners, or being one of the people who did start but had the race close on them.

Darrinll40 said:
SteveUK said:
Darrinll40 said:
No wonder she was gone so long :popcorn: I'll take a read of that once you are done with it - tho personally I tend to think your running action is what it is and it's very hard to change it into something unnatural (for you). :2cents:
She went after you guys went home.
You mean you made her go out AGAIN <_<
No, I asked her to go out again. She said that she was happy to go.

I have been trying to push off

with each step. Maybe I should get some video from a different angle, and maybe not from the end of a race.
Chi-Running tries to have you stop pushing off, as it engages the calf muscles, and to just lift the foot, and use your forward lean to generate speed. My guess is that my 25+ years of being a "pusher" has resulted in my current calf problems.

Not too many updates to post as I have been running two or three times a week and just trying to maintain my ability. Too many :excited: things going on to do any more. I have the 5k in a couple of months so I have a goal there. That should help me find some more time to run more. Plus, it is a shorter distance so I don't have to find as much time in the morning. Getting up an hour and a half early for the long runs was difficult at best.

Any tips on running in the dark? I am getting up at 5:30 to run and, until the time change, it is going to be pretty dark out.

Also, as silly as it seems now with record heat stopping the marathon (I felt so bad for those runners), any tips on cold weather running gear?

Thanks.

Any tips on running in the dark? I am getting up at 5:30 to run and, until the time change, it is going to be pretty dark out.
I run between 9-10pm, so running in the dark is pretty much all I do. Probably common sense, but I always run in the opposite direction of traffic. I never rely on the driver seeing me. As for the surface of the streets, I check out my path beforehand to make sure I note any potholes, large cracks, etc. to make sure I avoid them in case of poor street lighting.

Norman Einstein said:
GStrot said:
I run between 9-10pm, so running in the dark is pretty much all I do. Probably common sense, but I always run in the opposite direction of traffic. I never rely on the driver seeing me. As for the surface of the streets, I check out my path beforehand to make sure I note any potholes, large cracks, etc. to make sure I avoid them in case of poor street lighting.
I do virtually all of my workouts in the dark (early morning). When I run, I wear a blinking light (like this one). I also try to wear light colored clothes, and turn my iPod down a bit (not as much as Mrs. Liquors would like though).

Norman Einstein said:
GStrot said:
I do virtually all of my workouts in the dark (early morning). When I run, I wear a blinking light (like this one). I also try to wear light colored clothes, and turn my iPod down a bit (not as much as Mrs. Liquors would like though).
:thumbdown: s all the way around. When I do dark-time workouts, I'll also wear a big ol' LOOK AT ME reflector vest. With the amount of people walking/running and especially biking (myself already in that last category) who are hit by cars, I'd much rather look like a jagoff than be dead/maimed. But I find dawn/dusk to be the worst times since the light is flat and drivers often don't have their lights on.

GStrot said:
Not too many updates to post as I have been running two or three times a week and just trying to maintain my ability. Too many :shrug: things going on to do any more. I have the 5k in a couple of months so I have a goal there. That should help me find some more time to run more. Plus, it is a shorter distance so I don't have to find as much time in the morning. Getting up an hour and a half early for the long runs was difficult at best.Any tips on running in the dark? I am getting up at 5:30 to run and, until the time change, it is going to be pretty dark out. Also, as silly as it seems now with record heat stopping the marathon (I felt so bad for those runners), any tips on cold weather running gear?Thanks.
I've been thinking about posting a :thumbdown: in here for you- glad you beat me to the punch. Also- nothing PTTS-worthy about getting in 2-3 maintenance runs a week... that's actually really great work, IMO. :confused:

When I do dark-time workouts, I'll also wear a big ol' LOOK AT ME reflector vest. With the amount of people walking/running and especially biking (myself already in that last category) who are hit by cars, I'd much rather look like a jagoff than be dead/maimed. But I find dawn/dusk to be the worst times since the light is flat and drivers often don't have their lights on.
I read that as "dead/married". :bag: :lol:

My dark-time workouts haven't gotten all that dark yet, but the routes I run are generally well-lit. :shrug: I'm still amazed at the amount of traffic at 5:30am. I'd rather be sleeping! :D

pigskinliquors said:
Darrinll40 said:
tri-man 47 said:

with each step. Maybe I should get some video from a different angle, and maybe not from the end of a race.
Chi-Running tries to have you stop pushing off, as it engages the calf muscles, and to just lift the foot, and use your forward lean to generate speed. My guess is that my 25+ years of being a "pusher" has resulted in my current calf problems.
I have been reading the book, and I have to say that there is a lot to remember. Does this approach really work? Have you had some success with it? I am not going to try this to make better time, but to try and stay injury free. I have come to enjoy my running and I don't want to have to go through extended down periods.

Darrinll40 said:

Video Link

TIA
This is easier said than learned. I have tried to lean from the ankles, but I have not yet figured out how.
An old track workout to increase strideFind a grassy hill(not to steep) about 100 yards long. Run down the hill with long strides getting faster the whole way until you are at a sprint near the end.

Spend 15-30 minutes running down the hill and walking up.

pigskinliquors said:
Darrinll40 said:
tri-man 47 said:

I have been reading the book, and I have to say that there is a lot to remember. Does this approach really work? Have you had some success with it? I am not going to try this to make better time, but to try and stay injury free. I have come to enjoy my running and I don't want to have to go through extended down periods.
I haven't started the conversion yet, but anticipate my first run after my last (I've had three in the last two years) calf injury). My doctor, who specializes in Sport Medicine (and is a runner) highly recommended the book, and stated his patients have had really good results with it. I also have a colleague (former marathoner) who also went through a series of calf injuries and quit running for three years, prior to starting Chi-running. He's been injury free now for two years (since he started), and also swears by it. The book is very floofy. The principles are few and far between, but seem to all make sense. A crib sheet version would have been much appreciated!

Taper week is finally here. Had my last long run on Sunday morning before my Atlantic City 1/2 this coming weekend. I did 9 miles and it was absolutely awful. Between the heat, humidity, and wind in my face I ended up taking a few walking breaks. It made me mad as hell, but I didn't want to injure myself before the race. Of course the cheeseburger and fries I had for dinner on Saturday night probably didn't help either.

Plan on doing 4 miles Tues and then either 2 or 3 on Wed. That's it. Get some good rest and hydrate all week. Getting pretty excited for the race...and the heat is supposed to break here over the next couple of days. Sunday weather in AC is predicted for 63 and partly sunny. Woohoo!!!

73/53 and partly cloudy for San Jose on raceday. Could be better, but I'll take it.
Down to 68/54 and partly cloudy now. :X
NYC has the ugh weather from the CHI marathon today... wife called it "stupid hot".Think I'll cancel my non-run.
You wusses. It'll be mid-90's in Phoenix all week. :shrug: :yes:Donde esta El Rusty? Local news was reporting a shortage of cups and water in the race, so it would be nice to have some first-hand knowledge.

73/53 and partly cloudy for San Jose on raceday. Could be better, but I'll take it.
Down to 68/54 and partly cloudy now. :thumbup:
NYC has the ugh weather from the CHI marathon today... wife called it "stupid hot".Think I'll cancel my non-run.
You wusses. It'll be mid-90's in Phoenix all week. :goodposting: :)Donde esta El Rusty? Local news was reporting a shortage of cups and water in the race, so it would be nice to have some first-hand knowledge.
Lots of info, looking forward am I.What kind of times did the last finishers have? What was the cutoff for those who could keep running and those who couldn't?

I heard on the radio this afternoon that the guy that died had a pre-existing heart condition and did not die from the heat.

Ran 5.05 miles this afternoon, and I tried to follow what I read in Chi Running. First off I ran it in my 3rd fastest time for that run, 47:22, a 9:23 pace. And to be honest it felt like it was an easy run.

I did have trouble with the leaning. When I think lean, my body bends at the waist. To get the desired lean, I have to imagine that I am running with my feet behind me. So when I want to speed up, I put my feet behind me, which makes me feel like I am falling forward, which lengthens my stride, and makes me run faster. I have never done the big arm swing that he talks about, so I did that tonight and it felt natural. The only thing I really need to get used to is the way the gait feels while I am running. It is different than my old gait. Also it is weird trying to swing my legs like a pendulum.

I have to say that my calves have been hurting since I finished my run yesterday. They stopped hurting sometime during the run today, and they do not hurt now.

Of course I am probably doing everything wrong. This weekend I will get some video of me running to see what it shows.

I hope everyone else has had a great day.

El Floppo said:
What kind of times did the last finishers have? What was the cutoff for those who could keep running and those who couldn't?
The results page on the website doesn't lend itself to showing a big list and then sorting it by times, so here's a best guess from what results I can see.I see one finisher in 6:32:34. She was halfway in 2:32:54, so she took 4hrs on the back-nine. Her 30k and 40k splits are missing (but 35k is there), so who knows if this is a valid time.Some weird times. One guy was halfway in 2:55, but finished in 4:28, meaning he ran the 2nd half twice as fast as the first half. :tumbleweed: His last split is at 25k in 3:33, and it's reasonable compared to his previous splits, but this leaves him with 55min to complete the final 10.5mi. Looks like he probably got caught in the shutdown sometime around the 4hr mark.Those who got halfway under 3hrs appear to have mixed results. They either had near-equal halfs (e.g. 2:10+2:20), or terrible 2nd halfs (2:20+3:00). Looks like the heat kicked in around 4hrs and sapped even the fastest runners.Other "slow" times, I see a 6:05, 6:17 (70-74 age group), 6:10, 6:12, (65-69), 6:07, 6:23 (60-64), etc.3:58 65yo, 4:09 63yo and 4:19 67yo!! :bow: :finger:Lots of DNFs. :2cents:

Not too many updates to post as I have been running two or three times a week and just trying to maintain my ability. Too many :shrug: things going on to do any more. I have the 5k in a couple of months so I have a goal there. That should help me find some more time to run more. Plus, it is a shorter distance so I don't have to find as much time in the morning. Getting up an hour and a half early for the long runs was difficult at best.

Also, as silly as it seems now with record heat stopping the marathon (I felt so bad for those runners), any tips on cold weather running gear?

Thanks.
I enjoy cold weather running and have realized I am quite the gear ho. I have a pair of these: http://www.tworoadsfitness.com/stadiumpant.html They work like any other wicking fiber article does to get the moisture away from the body. Runderwear (I am not making the name up) makes a winter jock of sorts to wear under these. Having no hair and having to keep my noggin warm, I found a thisulate hat that was made to do inside a snowmobile helmet. All it is, is a black hat with the lining that fits real tight to my head, but wicks the sweat away. I don't do gloves. I have an top tht cover the hands with a spot for the thumb (I can't stand the winter running gloves). Layers are best, to me for the top and can be shed and tied around the waist. I don't do anything different with the sock, the winter pants have a weird velcro like thing at the bottom that keps it tight to the socks.Unless there is snow and ice, I'll run outside all anytime and did one 10K (Detroit Turkey Trot) in 7 degree wind chills and had fun doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread